Start by marking “Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  137,283 ratings  ·  6,910 reviews
Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. When each of them begins recei ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Little Liars, please sign up.

Kylie George I read the first six books, then watched the show. I love the books and the show, even though they are totally different.
Oana I like the show. It's scarier from the books, and it's different. They have different plot twists, and the characters development is good I think.

A in the show is different from A in the books, and there are several characters in the show that aren't in the book and vice versa(less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Young Adult Books
138th out of 10,016 books — 65,836 voters
Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
17th out of 788 books — 3,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 05, 2011 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage girls, people who like young adult books/series.
"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
-Benjamin Franklin.

The first book in the series, Pretty Little Liars, is about five best friends - Emily, Aria, Hanna, Spencer and Alison. Alison is the girl everyone loves, but secretly hates because they’re envious. She is what you could call the secret keeper of the clique, the one that holds the deepest and darkest secrets of each of the girls that nobody else knows and that they wouldn't dare share with another person. During a sleepover
The Holy Terror
This series feels like it'll be a total guilty pleasure. It really reminded me of some of the R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books that I read as a teen, and that's definitely a good thing. It's not literary genius but it's fun and easy to read. I started watching the TV show based on this series and I wanted to find out more because the episodes weren't coming out fast enough for me. I didn't feel like reading and watching the same series was redundant, it felt more like they complimented each ...more
Morgan F
Okay, I'm hooked. I started watching the TV show when it first came out, and liked it well enough. So I decided to see how the book series would compare.

This book follows a former group of friends three years after their leader, Alison, went missing. Now they are getting mysterious text messages from a person known only as "A". "A" knows secrets only Alison knew and trust me, these girls have plenty of them. Despite being only 16, these girls have more skeletons in their closets than the cast o
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at:

A week or so ago one of my new friends on Goodreads asked what was taking me so long to finish Pretty Little Liars. Truth is, I finished it in one day waaaaaaaaaaaay long ago, but my reaction was . . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

so I never got around to writing a review. Want a sneak peak into the world of Mitchell and Kelly and how to tell if they didn’t like a book????

Dallas Commercial Photography

Yep. Not a note, not a highlight, not a comment, nada. This time the problem stems from on
I'm ashamed to admit I've read this book, and the only reason I'm copping to it is because I need it for my reading challenge. Pretty Little Liars is not the type of book I usually read, but after a friend admitted the show was one of her guilty pleasures, I decided to check out the book. Unfortunately, I got no pleasure from reading this, only guilt and frustration.

Pretty Little Liars tells the story of Aria, Spencer, Emily, and Hanna, four girls whose best friend, Alison, disappears one night
Aug 12, 2015 J. marked it as to-read
Even after the problematic A reveal, I think I should try this series.
Jan 31, 2008 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
Shelves: realisticfiction
Pretty Little Liars has been my favorite book I have read so far. It is filled with drama, suspense and mystery, but it also brings together friendship and bravery. Four best friends, Aria, Hanna, Emily and Spencer, are separated by the death of their friend Alison DeLaurentis, as she has mysteriously disappeared. They each shared secrets with Alison and one very important one that nobody could find out: the Jenna secret. All four friends soon drifted apart, but were brought back together when ...more
Geraldine O'Hagan
I've been a long-time fan of the tv show so I thought I'd give this book series a try.

I don't know if it was because I've seen all those things happening in the tv series, in a much more lengthening and stretching way but this book lacked the thrill the tv show sometimes gives me. I was no surprised at all by anything happening in the book and I expected that there wouldn't be anything that would blow my mind away but I was disappointed by the fact that the characters in the book are a far-cry f
Jul 17, 2010 Alix rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adult Fans
Shelves: ebooks
Crystal Starr Light
“I'm still here, b!tches. And I know everything."

Once upon a time, five girls were friends: Alison, the ringleader, Aria, Emily, Hanna, and Spencer. Then one day, Alison just up and disappears.

Three years later, the girls begin to receive threatening texts, IMs, and notes about their secrets, past and present. Aria is flirting with the English Teacher; Emily is hanging out more with the new neighbor girl, Hanna has a dirty way of keeping thin, and Spencer is out for her perfect sister's boyfrien
Kay Iscah
I've really enjoyed the TV series, and I'm anxious to know who A is (DON'T TELL ME). So I thought I'd try reading the Pretty Little Liars book series, by Sara Shepard. There's supposed to be 12 in total, but after reading the first one, I don't think I could take 11 more.

The TV show has good writers. I was not impressed by the writing in the book. The TV versions of the characters are generally flawed but likable. The characters in the book are slutty or unpleasant in other ways or one dimension
Hunger For Knowledge
Oct 03, 2014 Hunger For Knowledge rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hunger For Knowledge by: Jessica
Buddy read with Jessica.

3.5 stars.

This is not a book that I, as an 31 year old woman, should enjoy. This is everything that should make me cringe in frustration. It is full of teenager drama, relationship drama, label inserting, rich kids problems and bitchiness. But it is also a decent mystery with an easiness. Underneath of all that, there is deepness and a meaning.

This is something to read while curled up in a thick, warm blanket while stuffing your mouth with the best of chocolate. Book tha
Who would want to read a book with a doll on the cover? I mean, isn’t that for like middle graders? WRONG. Pretty Little Liars might start off with the characters in their middle grade years, but before long, they’ve already bloomed into full fledged high school students with personalities of their own.

Hanna, Spencer, Aria and Emily were all nobodies, until Allison found them. Together, they built a friendship, but it was all based on secrets. The only secret the girls didn’t realize was that A
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
*Edited for slut-shaming; I wrote this review when I was like 15 and didn't understand why that was problematic at the time, but my use of the word "slutty" has now been removed. Sorry about that!*

Original review (1/13/09):

Honestly not sure why I read it, since I pretty much looked at it and thought, "I'll probably hate this." Well, I didn't HATE it, but it didn't give me any more than I expected. Pretty much every cliché known to realistic teenage literature was in it: My sister's boyfriend is
Newport Librarians
Hmmmm. Lots of readers love this series. But to me it read more like a shopping list than a novel: "He rubbed his fingers over the cuff of a hung-up pair of Joseph trousers. She slid her Tiffany Elsa Peretti heart ring up and down her finger . . . Spencer's Sidekick vibrated . . . Emily struggled to operate her Nokia." Even when a body is identified by a ring, it's not just any ring: "She remembered Ali's white-gold initialed ring. Ali's parents had gotten it for her at Tiffany's . . ." As a mem ...more
Kate ❣
Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

I absolutely LOVE the Pretty Little Liars TV show, and when that show first started i wasn't a crazy reader, but i bought the first 8 books of this series. As the years went on i never thought i'd actually read them. I'll admit its taken me SO long to finally pick up this book and separate my TV thoughts from the book, but I'm so glad i picked it up!

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I really enjoyed it.
I loved how each chapter was focused on a diffe
Elizabeth Scott
Okay, this series? Like a drug! I picked the first one up on a whim while at Target (more proof that if I go anywhere that sells books, you'll find me picking up one. or twelve.) and bam! I'm totally hooked. I'm hoping to read the rest of the books that are currently out while I'm on vacation.
So, ever since Pretty Little Liars came out on television people have been filling up my Facebook feed and twitter talking about how much they have to catch this show. Now, I watched the first episode, hated it and allowed the season to fly by without paying it any mind again. This summer however, I started watching the show and while it is still trash, it's ABC Family soap opera entertainment. Benign viewing was possible.

Once I brought up my viewing of the show people told me I should read the
Omygod. This is seriously amazing! I can't believe that I put off this book for 2 years thinking that it wouldn't be worth it to read the series! I know right, I'm too late for this hype. Lol! But seriously, the whole ride with this book has offered me so much fun and at the same time was very frightening to read. I can feel these goosebumps whenever "A" contacts them. It's just so creepy. It will really make you itch to know who the f* is A!!! Oh my, I wonder what will I do if ever I got a pysc ...more
Ivonne Rovira
It wouldn’t be fair for me to rate this book. I’m not only not the correct target demographic — clearly tweens and teens — but I fall into the reviled substrata of the novel: earnest smart girl. I don’t know how much I would have liked the book at 15, much less at 55. If you hated — just hated — high school, chances are that mean girls like these were the reason why.

The novel begins with an alliance amongst five seventh-grade students who become the mean girls clique of Rosewood Day School, loca
As I wandered through the hallowed high school halls, with a target on my back, being judged and ignored in equal parts, feeling like a space alien with three heads, my shoes squeaking on the hard linoleum, scared that I would be stuffed in a locker before third period and left for three more, I tried to picture a happier place and time, possibly being stuffed in a wooden coffin and buried six feet under, or chained to a basement wall by my ankles. No, high school wasn’t that bad, but it could h ...more
WOW! I give this five stars on account of its sheer unputdownableness. I'm quitting life for the next few day and devoting all my time to reading the rest of this series.
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
3 years ago, Alison went missing. Nobody knows what happened to her, but now 3 years later, her 4 closest friends start receiving strange messages. Messages that say things that only Alison would know, messages that are signed simply A.
Is Alison really back? Who else could the messages really be from? And if Alison really is back, what does she want?

I watched the first season of this as a TV show and really liked it, but never got around to reading the books.
Rachel Gunter
After watching the first season of Pretty Little Liars I decided it was finally time to start this series and I wasn't dissapointed. It took me a little while to separate the book from the show in my head since some of the things that happen are different, and the characters' appearances are described differently to how they look in the show! But once I got past that I really enjoyed it.

Its an entertaining read just based on the characters lives, but its also a mystery too about who 'A' is and
Even though this series is full of cliches and the writing isn't the best, I still can't get enough of. This series is my guilty addiction. I know I have complained that it's too long of a series, but I will probably always love these books and I'm a tad bit sad that it's finally ending.

I'm so addicted that I ended up buying the last book last night so I wouldn't have to wait for my copy at the library. XD

This could have easily been compacted into 4 chapters or marketed as a prequel since there is no chance that the non-existent plot could pass for a novel.
This book has officially been read by me 1.1 times. For further explanation, please keep reading.
Pretty Little Liars has always been one of those series I was in doubt about everyone liking. I mean, seriously, the covers were garbage. Dolls, bright colors, fancy cursive script . . . I almost puked every time I walked by the extra-special PLL stand in the Barnes and Noble store.
And then when the media tie-in covers were released . . . blech. They were even worse than the first ones. I made sure I
Celine South
Jun 10, 2011 Celine South rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's brainless and wants to read about rich stuck up brats.
Recommended to Celine by: Every teenage girl :/ I will never trust them again
Shelves: horrible-books
EVERY teenage girl I know seems to love this book series, they all are all like ''OMG IT'S SOOO GOOD'' and blah blah blah. I, for one, am a teenage girl and can't stand this book. It was painful to finish, and I can't believe I continued on with the series, probably because I had to kill time. Ha, whatever. I thought they were supposed to get better as they went on, but nope, they got friggin worse.

I will explain why this book only got one star:

...- I could litteraly NOT relate to ONE SINGLE CHA
mystery/one book 1 3 Sep 27, 2015 12:46PM
Which Character is your favorite/least favorite??? 132 983 Sep 23, 2015 01:15PM
Danske Læsere / D...: Pretty little liars til salg? 1 26 Apr 20, 2015 06:45AM
  • Pretty Little Liars (TV Series)
  • Ambition (Private, #7)
  • All I Want is Everything (Gossip Girl, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Pretties (The Clique, #14)
  • Wrath (Seven Deadly Sins, #4)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Tucson, Arizona. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...

Pretty Little Liars (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2)
  • Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3)
  • Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4)
  • Wicked (Pretty Little Liars, #5)
  • Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6)
  • Heartless (Pretty Little Liars, #7)
  • Wanted (Pretty Little Liars, #8)
  • Twisted (Pretty Little Liars, #9)
  • Ruthless (Pretty Little Liars, #10)
  • Stunning (Pretty Little Liars, #11)
Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2) Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3) Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4) Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6) Wicked (Pretty Little Liars, #5)

“I'm still here, bitches. And I know everything." -A” 1093 likes