Start by marking “Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)

Read Book

Compensations (Life Lessons #3.5)

This is a Life Lessons short story, occurring a week after Home Work (* contains spoilers for Home Work*).
Published December 8th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Compensations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compensations

Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
143rd out of 373 books — 561 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
309th out of 614 books — 1,456 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingela
Review written February 19, 2016

3.8 Stars - Tender, sweet, heartbreaking and realistic

Book #3.5

***********************************************

Compensations is a lovely freebie shorty in the 'Life Lessons' series with a New Year Eve theme. A MUST for all admirers of these fantastic 'Tony & Mac' books.
 photo image_zpsh078fksy.jpeg

‘Tony held Mac in his arms, feeling Mac’s taut muscles eventually relax into sleep, as the first hours of a new year slowly unfolded around them.’

Two men, now a family of four, in Minneapolis...
Jess Candela
Dec 05, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing
Okay, now that I've read it again, I can say that I think this just may be the best short story Kaje has written yet. It answers one of the questions we were left with at the end of Home Work, though it's nothing that will mess up Book 4 if you don't read this one. But why wouldn't you, it's awesome!

Though I warn you, it's going to increase your desire for more Mac and Tony like tenfold. Not because there's any particular cliffhanger (it's a sweet holiday story), but just because it feels so goo
Heller
Dec 09, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
Set soon after Home Work. Mac is on the road to recovery and Tony is supporting him as best he can. I admit I was feeling a bit down after the last book and the uncertainty of what would happen with regards to Mac's injury, tbh. This story made me feel really hopeful and I loved that. I'll be rooting for Mac but even if he doesn't regain 100% of this health I can see other avenues where he can shine. I worry for Tony though and the pressure he puts on himself. I can hardly wait for the next book ...more
Ami

Warning: Do not read this story (or this review) if you haven't read Home Work

While this free story seems to be written to give readers assurance that 1) Mac's traumatic aphasia is slightly better than some other people and 2) Mac IS getting better and his therapist is optimistic, I can't help to feel sad reading this. That is why I can't give it a higher star. I'm not even slightly relieved. I admire Tony's inner strength and Oliver's loyalty to his partner ... but I still think it's a
Gina
Apr 29, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m

I loved this little snippet about life after Mac's injury and his recovery. This was warm and reassuring that their relationship can stand this struggle. They came together as a couple and as a family. I also warmed up to Oliver even more, he should find someone to care about him. And I enjoyed this little story because it showed us their life continues to have struggles, just like real life...

I enjoyed this immensely and like I said already, I would read as many books in this series and the aut
ttg
Jun 30, 2013 ttg rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviews, wow-free
Great free short story follow-up to Life Lessons #3 Home Work. This short starts one week after the ending of book 3, and provides some closure on some events in Home Work, and gives a nice look into the lives of Mac and Tony as they struggle through some new circumstances and also celebrate their first New Year's as a family.

At a little over 11,000 words, the story is nicely meaty, and as usual with Harper's freebies, there's some real progression and events so it isn't just a throwaway filler
Susan
Dec 09, 2012 Susan rated it liked it

I'm happy to get any little bit of Mac and Tony offered...but this short little bit felt like tiny drops of water after having known desert-thirst for days! Miss them...want more.

Tough reading Mac struggling with his injury. Mac, always having been the "strong" one...

Please let him make a full recovery...please...

Oh, and Ms. Harper...please write quickly...I need more Mac and Tony! :)

Bev
Another quick peek into the comings and goings of the MacLean/Hart family

This novella takes place after Mac (view spoiler)

I
Mark
May 28, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
Loved this little short interlude before book four! Here you can see how sorry Oliver sincerely is and supports the both of them all the way. What I liked even more is the payback Terrence is getting from Ramsey. Made me laugh hearing all things she's doing to him, you go girl! Nice to see Tony, Mac and the kids celebrating New Year together as a family. I so just wat Mac to make a full recovery.... soplease Ms Harper I know these things take time, but I wouldn't be able to bear it if Mac has to ...more
Sara
Dec 10, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fluff
The only thing better than Mac and Cheese is Mac and Tony. Loved it, they are just the best!
Heather C
This is pretty much a second-slash-extended epilogue for Home Work. We get some Mac and Tony smexiness and some hopeful news for Mac. Plus, it's really nice the see Oliver coming around and accepting Mac and Tony's relationship.
Deeze
May 30, 2013 Deeze rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
A sweet short, but just left me wanting the next book and to bash Terrence over the head. God what a douche bag.
Awilk -never sleeps-
Why didn't I know about this sooner. This is one of my favourite series. I re-read these books more often then I am willing to admit.

This was a fabulous follow-up to the last full-length book. It was quick, but full of page-turning greatness. I have always favoured Mac, but this has me leaning more and more toward Tony. Oliver also earned many points in this one.

I want more of this series, and I want it now. As that is not possible, I will just have to hope there will be more soon.

¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧ •°**★Camelot Dreamer❧ •°**★
Short N' Sweet!

Terrence, I really dislike him...but, in this book the world does NOT revolve around him, it revolves around Tony and Mac, and I simply love that ~

Mac and Tony absolultey wonderful together, and so very lovable.

Oliver is adorable~ He has awesome character.

One reviewer said, this does not move the story forward or back~

I agree, but it is a sweet gift and I did like it ALOT!

Anke
Dec 11, 2012 Anke rated it it was amazing
Oh my. Sigh! I want more! After 'Home Work' I was curious, and a bit skeptical, how Ms. Harper would write herself out of the medical condition she put Mac through, but I should have known - she managed the small line. Can't wait for the next book.
Lenore
*Gushes a little* I love Mac and Tony so much.
Edina Rose
After Home Work I was afraid the book will turn into a soap opera with drama after drama and big angst after big angst and the series will be endless - like another series I hate/like but am glued to because the characters are like crack to me.

After reading Compensations, my fear slightly abated. It seems like the series still moves in ONE direction and we will have something tighter than Home Work next time. Pure speculation, but I'll interpret my - loose - clues as I please.

Tony and Oliver (
Sadonna
Dec 09, 2012 Sadonna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pdf, mm, holidays, cops
I LOVED this short look into the holidays with Tony and Mac. Mac is getting better but of course he is frustrated that he is not making progress faster. He's aware that he is "lucky" but he feels like he won't be what he once was and he's not sure he can deal with that.

Tony is frustrated as well - because he doesn't want to crowd Mac but he wants him to not take unnecessary risks either. The kids are dealing with things and so is Oliver, Mac's detective partner.

One of things I love most about
Jerry
I'm officially calling this my "Christmas" read. After so many books about guys who never have to think about making a living, I love the nitty gritty of Tony and Mac's lives. Struggling with real life issues while trying to make your gay relationship work, with kids no less, in a hostile environment is hard work. Kaje shows us how hard this is to do and how the love between Mac and Tony gives them the energy to go beyond existing and to really live. Love this family, love Kaje.
Tina
May 06, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime

I loved reading this little gem about Mac's and Tony's life after Mac's injury. They are so strong together! And I like Oliver, Mac's partner. He's such a cool guy. I wish he finds the happiness he deserves.
Now I can't wait for book 4. Dear Kaje, don't let us wait too long for Mac, Tony, Ben, Anna and the rest of the gang... :D
Irina
Feb 16, 2016 Irina rated it really liked it
As impatient as I am, I had to see how Mac is faring. Great short addition to the series. Oliver's 'apology' was my favourite.
Lauraadriana
Wonderful visit with Mac and Tony after that nerve splitting ending from Home Work...Looking forward to their happy ending. They deserve it!
Love these men.
Kaetrin
Dec 22, 2012 Kaetrin rated it really liked it
Why I read it: This was a freebie holiday story which continues on immediately after Home Work ends and it makes a nice epilogue to the story.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) Mac, Tony and the kids have had a long complicated year. Each of them has dealt with fears and losses, joys and triumphs. As December 31st approaches, it's time to look forward to the new year, and what may be in store. Mac and Tony figure whatever happens, they can handle it, as long as they go through it together.

What w
Nic
Dec 09, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, series, free
Loved a further glimpse into the lives of Mac and Tony! This short story, with its hints of Tony's worries about the future and Mac's real need to be able to return to work, has left me eager for book 4. Hopefully we won't be kept waiting too long!
Linda-Grace
Apr 14, 2013 Linda-Grace rated it liked it
Love Mac, Tony and the kids oh and not forgetting Oliver. i wish someone would kick Terence's ass.
Alicia J
Lovely interlude in Mac and Tony's life. Can't wait for the fourth book!
Alex is The Romance Fox
I love Kaje Harper's writing and Life Lessons Series is one if not THE one favorite books ever.
Let me just say that I am not a lover of short stories but it's truly amazing that in just a few pages, the author gave us an incredible insight into Tony & Mac's life after the shocking end in Home Work.

After being "punched" by what happened to Mac, I felt distraught not knowing what would happen to him and his family....and then...given this short look into their lives. Thank you Kaje!!!!!!!!

Th
Sandra
This is a sweet little short that takes place directly after Book 3, DO NOT read this if you haven't read Home Work! It won't really make sense and it will ruin a wonderful series for you, start at the beginning lazy-bones! Anyway, I enjoyed this and got one of my questions answered that I had after the last book, although not necessarily the answer I wanted (view spoiler) ...more
Jeanne 'Divinae'
Dec 06, 2014 Jeanne 'Divinae' rated it really liked it
This story takes place after book three, Home Work. We get to see how Mac is dealing with his condition. He is slowly but surely overcoming it, but it is still frustrating that he isn't back to being his old self. It will be a while(but at least he as a chance).

He and his family celebrate their first New Year together, and that makes him very happy and blessed.
We also get to see how Oliver is doing. He is coming around feeling more comfortable around Mac and isn't as standoffish as he was. He
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Beautiful! Perfect follow-up to Home Work. I had been hoping we'd get to find out how Mac and Tony are faring after the ups and downs of Home Work. This just hit the spot.

I also love that this author shares free stories with us, most of which are of a higher caliber than many others for which I've paid big bucks. Highly recommend this to all who've enjoyed the Life Lessons series but don't read it until you complete Home Work.
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Ears, Eggs and Bunnies (A Matter of Time, #6.5)
  • You Get Full Credit For Being Alive
  • I Spy Something Christmas (I Spy, #3)
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies #3.5)
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Cherish (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #4)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Dine & Dash (Cut & Run, #5.5)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • A Very D Christmas (Zero at the Bone, #1.4)
I live in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, the mosquito is the state bird, and where sometimes in winter it can be breathtakingly beautiful. Of course, the deepfreeze chill contributes to the breath-taking, but Minnesota's a kindly, quiet place and it's home to me now. I've been writing for far longer than I care to admit (*whispers - forty years*), mostly for my ...more
More about Kaje Harper...

Life Lessons (4 books)
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)