Start by marking “Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)

Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  195 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
After Adam fell, God made Eve to protect the world. — Adam has pursued Eve since the dawn of creation, intent on using her power to create a new world and make himself its God. Throughout history, Eve has thwarted him, determined to protect the world and all of creation. Unknown to her, the Norse god Thor has been sent by the Council of Gods to keep her from Adam's influen ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by World Weaver Press

The Republic of Thieves by Scott LynchA Memory of Light by Robert JordanEmperor of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Daylight War by Peter V. BrettThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Can't Wait Sci-Fi/Fantasy of 2013
67th out of 621 books — 3,267 voters
Collide by Gail McHughThe Forgotten Ones by Laura   HowardBreathe into Me by Amanda  StoneWait for You by J. LynnRunning on Empty by L.B. Simmons
Lucky '13s
69th out of 215 books — 1,404 voters

More lists with this book...

Trisha Leigh
Mar 05, 2013 Trisha Leigh rated it it was amazing
In a word...no. It's going to take more than one. Heartbreaking, imaginative, thought-provoking, and AMAZING are a few of the words I plan to use.

___

Okay, time for a full review!

I loved FORGED BY FATE. Loved. It's a beautiful, sweeping alternate history that puts on display the power of every incarnation of love, and the truth of what can be accomplished when people choose peace over strife.

I of course adored the Thor bits, but the story of creation from Eve's POV was stunningly researched and
Charity Bradford
Feb 01, 2013 Charity Bradford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
How could you NOT want to read this book after that first tagline?

This was an excellent read. Dillin bounces back and forth through time to tell Eve's story. At one point I thought it might be easier to read chronologically but I believe Dillin's approach was best. It helped build tension while giving us the history needed to understand who Eve was and the importance of her life.

Forged reads like the Inciting Event of a larger story--which it is. It's the first in a series and this first book se
Tawney
Aug 23, 2013 Tawney rated it it was amazing
I love mythology. I love the bible. This book did a great job bringing all that together through history. Eve and Thor are our main characters. We follow Eve throughout different times. Thor is an immortal who interacts with many other gods like Greek and Egyptian.

This is a great work of fiction that brings our favorite gods and goddesses together combined with Christianity elements. It is no way a religious book, so do not be hesitant to read this. All religions are featured and interact with
Emily
Mar 06, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Emily by: The Author herself.
Describing what I feel about this book, without resorting to spoilers - because I believe that spoiling yourself for a story like this would take away a great portion of the enjoyment which is to be found in it - seems to require me to talk about what it is, rather what it's about.

I would hesitate to describe this completely wonderful book as fantasy (when the author writes so realistically), as romance (when the romance is delightfully not the focus of the novel), or as historical (when it span
LeighAnn Kopans
Mar 19, 2013 LeighAnn Kopans rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely riveting tale. Though I would normally feel whiplash from chapters that jump centuries, the voices in this were so clear (Thor vs. Eve) and the story was so focused and compelling that I hardly felt a bump.

As a Bible geek, I thought I would do a lot of wincing. But this story was not only meticulously researched, but stunningly re-imagined. For my Jewish friends, this is the most fascinating contemporary midrash of the creation of man that I have ever read.

Even the non-bi
J.C. Andrijeski
Aug 16, 2013 J.C. Andrijeski rated it it was amazing
This is actually one of the more fascinating and haunting books I’ve read in quite some time. Even the way the author rolls you into the story and characters is unusual, and kind of creeps up on you such that the entire world and its inhabitants seep into your very skin. I’m actually not usually that drawn to stories wrapped around ancient mythological characters and/or biblical figures, but this one was done in such a unique and ‘real-feeling’ way that it’s nothing like books I’ve read before t ...more
✿kawehi.reviews
Aug 01, 2013 ✿kawehi.reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
What an interesting twist on Christian and mythology!! I've never come across this combination before and amazed myself by worshiping the pairing of Eve and Thor. Who would have thought?
....

In all honesty, I thought "Forged By Fate" was going to be a train wreck. I kept trying to figure out what would possess an author to make such a bold move and tweak different cultural/religious figures and beliefs and subject them into a single story line?

Luckily though for Ms. Dillin, "Forged By Fate" was a
Wendy Sparrow
Mar 08, 2013 Wendy Sparrow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
First of all, let me say that this is not, not, not religious fiction. It's every creation and deity myth interwoven into a narrative that fits history beautifully.

The story is told from two different viewpoints. Eve's point-of-view follows her along three time-lines: the time of creation, the present, and then an advancing time-line where Eve is reincarnated. The other point-of-view is Thor's, an immortal--and, yeah, that Thor--who interacts with Egyptian, Persian, Greek, and other deities.

As
beepbop
"And as long as she lives, as long as she thinks of me with fondness and the memory of our life together brings her comfort, I will honor her for it. I will love her above all else in this world and the next. And there is nothing you can do stop it." - Thor

The sweetest quote I've come across in this book yet. And I'm only at 66%!

Edit-
Wow..just wow. At first it took me a while to warm up to Dillin's writing but after you get past the way she jumped within "Creation", "B.C" and "Present" eras, i
Rebecca
Nov 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking. An imagination so new and refreshing has created such a detailed and beautifully complex world of gods and mortals.

It is an elegant roller coaster of myth, legend, love and indeed life that spans across all pantheons old and current. A tale that connects through different lives, histories, cultures and indeed time.

Amalia shows greath depth with grace as her vast cast of characters introduces the reader to something new, something familiar and something magical within eac
Karen
Mar 19, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I have to admit. As a friend of the author, I tried to read this book 2 years ago and I couldn't even get through the first two chapters. I really, really didn't like it. I wanted to strangle every single character. So when I picked it up this time, it was with some misgivings, but since she got it published, I was gonna do my darnedest to give it a go!

Boy am I glad I did!! What an improvement. I was hooked from the very beginning. Every single character in this is now so real, I felt like I
Kevin Kanellakis
Feb 03, 2014 Kevin Kanellakis rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful weaving of the different mythologies from human history. It's abundantly clear that Ms. Dillin knows her mythology inside and out, and she does an excellent job guiding the reader through them.

If you're a hardcore Christian, this is not the book for you. The basic premise of the book can be boiled down to, "What if ALL the Gods are real?" I loved this premise, and though the plot focuses on the development of Eve and Thor more than anything else, my favorite bits were s
Kevin
Mar 08, 2013 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forged by Fate is a novel that deftly weaves together the pantheon of gods from around the world, and weaves the around a central pillar of Christian beliefs in a way that everything makes sense and feels right. Thor falls in love with Eve and pals around with Ra and Athena and none of that feels weird when you're reading it.
The book deals with three different timelines and switched between them well to keep the reader apprised of what's going on in each regularly and not losing interest in any
Danyka
Mar 08, 2014 Danyka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Forged by Fate knew where to push my soft buttons. And also I'm a huge sucker for Mythologies and this book really sated me! - I mean it, very much. It landed on my favorite list.

The book was so good, it's great on itself. Every cast was fully 'furnished' even to the little things. Every riddle will make you think and solve it by yourself. The twists and turns turned my brain on.

Thor became my favorite Norse God because of this. His passion, faithfulness and love for Eve was breathtaking. Adam w
Diana Paz
Mar 13, 2013 Diana Paz rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. The mythology is incredible, the gods and goddesses feel so real, the world itself was amazing and unique, mixing both history and mythology in a seamless, believable way that left me enthralled from the first page to the last! The story's design made reading about the different timelines incredibly fascinating and I was constantly on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happened and how everything tied together. I love this book SO much, I recommend it wholehearted ...more
J.C.
May 18, 2016 J.C. rated it it was amazing
Forged by Fate was a beautifully crafted story which follows two point-of-view characters in three timelines. Usually, stories which jump back and forth through time can feel very disjointed; but in this case, each timeline added intrigue to the next. The world building is spectacular, with a unique take on biblical stories and other mythologies.
Elesha
Mar 20, 2015 Elesha rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this start to the series. It's hard to give a firm opinion on the whole story since it continues in the next book. What I love is the different pantheons and how they live together and interact. Anything with gods and goddesses has me hooked immediately. I was leery about Adam and Eve because I don't follow that faith and worried it would be too religious. It definitely wasn't. Amalia takes a whole new twist on the Adam and Eve myth that is fascinating!
I recommend this book to a
Aven
Dec 05, 2012 Aven rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
I really enjoyed this -- although it's not necessarily a genre I would automatically pick up. The re-imagining of the pantheons is consistent and thoughtful, and the characters of the gods are 'authentic' enough not to annoy a pedant like me, while 'human' enough to be engaging and emotionally affecting. I definitely ended up wanting to know more about the main characters and the various mysteries of the backstory, so I look forward to the rest of the series. A very good read. :)
Emily
Jan 25, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
If you're looking for something with a really good twist on the original story, this would be a good series to read.

There are all different Gods/religions involved in this story and they're all aware of each other and even interact - even the angels, Adam, and Eve. I really enjoyed that take on it, since most times when I read stories involving Gods they don't acknowledge the existence of any others outside their religion. Stories of Gods aside, I really like the plot of this. It peaked my inte
Vanessa
Mar 02, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting concept. The author took the creationism story, while including other mythologies, and twisted them in her own way; making it into something new and interesting while preserving core themes. I liked how God was depicted as this old withered man who used all of his power during creationism(he used his last bit of strength making Eve) which caused him to sort of fade from existence...or did it?

I loved how the stories connected all of Adam and Eve's past lives, sh
Lissa Sloan
May 25, 2015 Lissa Sloan rated it really liked it
Forged by Fate is based on the clever premise that all the gods of different cultures (Egyptian, Hindu, Greek, Norse, etc.) really exist, along with Adam and Eve, who live as mortals, but are constantly reborn. The action alternates between Eve, both at creation and at the present day, and Norse thunder god Thor, Eve's sworn protector and one-time husband. Though she has always been warned of the dire consequences of loving the war-like and controlling Adam, when Eve meets him in the present day ...more
Sealey
Sep 17, 2013 Sealey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a witty tweet by the publisher that caught my attention and put FORGED BY FATE on my radar while I was on a road trip and scrolling through my phone, checking Twitter. I remember that I had to wait until we'd pulled over to a rest stop with Wi-Fi so I could download it to my Kindle.

Anyway, I began reading immediately and read in the car the whole way to our destination and all the while we were on vacation. When I finished it, and it was time to go home, I went back online to download th
Kayla Beck
Review originally posted on Bibliophilia, Please.

I was quite excited to be approached by Amalia Dillin about reviewing her debut novel, Forged by Fate , because I've known her on Twitter for several years and remember her talking about writing this book. Though I generally have doubts about reading the books of people that I know and enjoy, it was not so in this case. I've been reading her blog for years, and she's done a great deal of research on Thor and other gods. Research is king with me
Deborah
May 03, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
"Some secrets are meant to be kept. We offer you enough to cause you to wonder."

And, wonder I did! I wondered about Eve's purpose and how she would protect the world as she was born, lived and died again and again throughout history. I wondered about Adam's downfall and his dogged determination to claim Eve as his own and rule over all creation. I REALLY wondered about what he and God discussed in the Garden that he didn't disclose to Eve and what those non-disclosures might mean to the world.
Sarah Briggs
Jul 13, 2013 Sarah Briggs rated it really liked it
(This review may contain spoilers).

Although I have kind of mixed feelings about the way the Christian story's been changed, I can't deny that I didn't enjoy reading the book and found it quite entertaining.

I liked the use of the mythology and other gods in the book. I don't quite know what to make of Adam, though. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I really didn't like Michael. At all. Loki was strangely charming at times, despite being written as one of the bad guys. (It seemed a bit
Lindsey
May 05, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I had my doubts about this book. I wasn't sure how the author was going to be able to blend the different mythologies together into a cohesive world. But she did.

I found this story intriguing and addicting. I loved the way it was several stories wrapped up together with the same central characters. It was a smart, creative read and I had no trouble with the blending of the different myths and gods.

The characters were so well written and changed and evolved as the book moved and turned through
Rachel at theJeepDiva
Apr 11, 2013 Rachel at theJeepDiva rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
This book took a little bit for me to really get into the story. After about 50 pages or so, I was hooked on it. I loved how the author took all of these different gods and goddess and combined them all together in one book to either work together or against each other.

Adam and Eve are immortals but they do die, they just are reborn as a baby somewhere else. In this book Adam and Eve are not the mother and father of all humanity they are the opposites of each other. Where one wants to rule and h
Rick Cook
Aug 27, 2013 Rick Cook rated it really liked it
Forged by Fate has an interesting premise that pits Western Religion’s Adam and Eve against each other instead of being together forever. You could say it takes the concept of Original Sin to an extreme in order to establish its origins. Every other pantheon of gods exist, too: Zeus, Ares, Odin, Ra, Bhagava, Loki, Athena, Hermes, you name it they’re in this story in some capacity. It is the story of the rise and fall of civilizations, of gods and angels, of pride and grief.

The main characters in
Natalie Murphy
Where to start, where to start?

Honestly, when I first read the blurb for this book, I was cautious. Amalia is a friend and I wanted to support her, but it didn’t sound like anything I’d normally read. I love history and mythology, but anyone who knows me knows I am not a huge fan of Christianity. I was concerned this book was going to be super religious in nature.

I’m glad to say that all of my fears were unfounded. By the end of chapter one, I was hooked. Eve is an amazing character—she is mothe
  • Medusa, A Love Story (Loves of Olympus, #1)
  • Lord of Slaughter
  • Midnight Temptation (Midnight, #2)
  • Innocence (Tales of Olympus, #1)
  • That Fatal Kiss
  • The Woken Gods
  • Timespell (Timespell, #1)
  • Snow White and the Vampire (The Cursed Princes, #2)
  • Falling From Eternity
  • Ice Land
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • How to Seduce an Angel in 10 Days (10 Days, #3)
  • Demon Chained (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #5)
  • Veronica and the Vampire
  • Norse Code
  • Broods of Fenrir (Broods of Fenrir, #1)
  • Codename: Sailor V, #2 (Codename: Sailor V, #2
  • Under the Glass Moon, Vol. 1
Amalia Dillin began as a Biology major before taking Latin and falling in love with old heroes and older gods. After that, she couldn't stop writing about them, with the occasional break for more contemporary subjects. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, and dreams of the day when she will own goats--to pull her chariot through the sky, of course.

Amalia is the author of the Fate of th
More about Amalia Dillin...

Fate of the Gods (5 books)
  • Tempting Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1.5)
  • Fate Forgotten (Fate of the Gods, #2)
  • Taming Fate (Fate of the Gods, #2.5)
  • Beyond Fate (Fate of the Gods, #3)

“And as long as she lives, as long as she thinks of me with fondness and the memory of our life together brings her comfort, I will honor her for it. I will love her above all else in this world and the next. And there is nothing you can do to stop it” 4 likes