Start by marking “Frog Girl” as Want to Read:
Frog Girl

Frog Girl

Frogs have been stolen, an earthquake rumbles, a village is in peril. To restore calm to her land, a girl must delve beneath the surface of a lake, deep into a spirit world. What she finds will thrill readers and introduce them to a classic hero's journey.
Published January 19th 2001 by Tricycle Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Frog Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frog Girl

Carly
Oct 30, 2007 Carly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4-6
This is a beautiful story based off of Coastal Native American's folktales.I loved the pictures and unique story. It has beautiful artwork and the story is told very creatively. It has some abstract concepts and some pretty difficult metaphors in it so it would probably be the most beneficial for upper elementary. It could spark some great discussion! This book would be pefect to use during a Coastal Native American unit.
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Frog Girl is a worthy companion to Storm Boy by the same author. The general theme of the story is similar between the two volumes, but it's really the stunning artwork that makes Paul Owen Lewis' work so worthwhile - his faithful recreation of Pacific Northwest native culture prior to the arrival of the Europeans is rich, evocative, and thoroughly rewarding.
Amy
2.5 stars. The story in Frog Girl was a little weird/confusing/disjointed. I had to explain to the children what I thought this story was trying to convey, because it was confusing. A few times my niece remarked, "I don't get it." My nephew wasn't so impressed with the story, either, but boy, those illustrations were just fabulous! At one point he looked at the pictures and breathlessly remarked, "Oh, my gosh!!" They were clearly evocative of Pacific Northwest Native American cultures, and many ...more
Patricia
Aug 07, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
I don't know why I didn't like this story as much as Storm Boy, but both are beautiful and excellent stories of the northwest coastal people and their cultures, and both feature, in the final two pages, detailed explanations of the imagery and meanings found in the illustrations and are highly educational as well as magical.

This is the story of a chief's daughter who goes to the land of the Frog People where she finds the grandmother weeping bitterly because all of her children have disappeared.
Olivia
May 01, 2009 Olivia rated it it was amazing
When I read this book, I was awed by the author, Paul Owen Lewis's creative imagination that leaked and squirted out in this bottle of liquid adventure!
A Indian tale of a girl who discovers something when trying to save a burning town, I loved this book!
Lisa
Feb 13, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
A beautiful children's book. The artwork and the story combine to give children a nice introduction to tribal stories in the pacific northwest, but the book stands on its own, there's no need to look for an excuse to read this book, read it because your children will love it.
Krisette Spangler
Aug 21, 2010 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was as an engaging Native American tale that teaches children respect for the world around them. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. I'm looking forward to reading Lewis' other work as well.
Raiyah Patel
Apr 04, 2014 Raiyah Patel rated it liked it
Really cool fun book
Chula Brown Buffalo
Jul 13, 2015 Chula Brown Buffalo rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that shows that we are all connected and should respect each other.
David
I like these books. David is really interested in New Zeland, so it was fun to read a myth of theirs.
April
Jun 08, 2012 April rated it really liked it
Another beautifully illustrated Paul Owen Lewis book. I am a definite fan but I didn't like this one as much as Davy's Dream and Storm Boy, but it is still worth checking out.
Shannon
Jan 09, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I love this story, and the art is beautiful. Moira loved figuring out who the underwater people were, and finding all the hidden symbols in their land.
Mckinley
Jul 17, 2012 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Seems to end abruptly.
EJ
Mar 03, 2016 EJ rated it it was amazing
I've gotta say: Frog Girl was one of the all time best story books of my childhood. I recommend this to everyone who has kids to read to or just wants to read a really good little story. (:
May 31, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not at all what I expected.
William Rivard
William Rivard rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Pastor Dennis
Pastor Dennis rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Kristina Ross
Kristina Ross rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Mckenzie
Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Jinny
Jinny rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Cecily
Cecily rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Jim
Dec 02, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing
one of the most beautifully illoed books i've ever seen
Harriet
Harriet rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Westcoast_girl
Westcoast_girl rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Angel
Angel rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Madeline Moss
Madeline Moss rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2013