Start by marking “Matthew: The Gospel of Identity (Biblical Imagination)” as Want to Read:
Matthew: The Gospel of Identity (Biblical Imagination)

Matthew: The Gospel of Identity (Biblical Imagination)

"You are the salt of the earth . . . You are the light of the world." Matthew 5:13-14 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church." Matthew 16:18 The world tries to define us in different ways. We try to define ourselves one way or another. But who are we really? How does God define us? The Gospel of Matthew was written to a group of ...more
Published May 3rd 2013 by IVP Books (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Matthew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew

Roberta Brosius
Jul 18, 2015 Roberta Brosius rated it it was amazing
I found this book helpful in my preparation to teach Matthew to high school students this fall. Card pointed out connections I'd not seen before.
Michael Boling
Jan 09, 2014 Michael Boling rated it it was amazing
Despite being a long time fan of Michael Card as a musician, I was completely unaware that he had written a series of commentaries on the Gospels. When attending a Christmas concert this past year where he performed with another perennial favorite artist of mine named Phil Keaggy, I happened to wander by the table where the artists were selling CDs, hoping to pick up some music I did not have. It was then I discovered the Biblical Imagination Series by Michael Card of which his book Matthew: The ...more
Josiah
Plot: A
Writing: B
Vocabulary: A
Level: Intermediate
Rating: PG13
Worldview: Jewish, Christian

This is an in-depth commentary written for laymen to use in personal and public Bible study. I highly recommend listening to the companion CD, "Matthew: The Penultimate Question."

Mike researches and writes through the lenses of informed imagination, setting devotional ideas in their proper setting to be shaped by natural and cultural history.

(I would write a longer, glowing report but have no more time at
Samuel Rood
Sep 10, 2013 Samuel Rood rated it it was amazing
This was a good read. Matthew Card does a good job of transporting our imagination into the world of the text so that we encounter Jesus in a fresh way. Well-researched but aimed at the heart. I thought that Card's focus on the question of identity, "Who are we?" answered by "Who is Jesus?", really helped bring out the voice of Matthew and the questions he is addressing to his first century Jewish-Christian listeners. I highly recommend it.
Jamie Pennington
Nov 02, 2013 Jamie Pennington rated it really liked it
Over all a very good and insightful read. Does not have the depth of a commentary but I don't believe it was written to be a commentary. I used the book to complement daily devotions and I enjoyed it in that perspective.
Joyce Oliver stahle
Apr 05, 2014 Joyce Oliver stahle rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying reading "The Imagination Series" by Michael Card. I read Luke learned a lot.
Reading Matthew I also learned things I didn't know before.
I like his style of writing it causes me to go deeper. It gets me thinking, pondering and digging deeper into the Word.
Jordan
Jun 25, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The third in Michael Card's excellent series on the Gospels. This one is no different from the previous two in its fabulousness and insight. My wife and I have enjoyed reading these together and look forward to starting the next one.
Lynne Modranski
Jul 14, 2016 Lynne Modranski rated it really liked it
Wonderful book! I only rated it four stars because I found Michael Cards books on Luke and Mark a bit more insightful. But I still loved it and can't wait to read John.
Russ Skinner
Another excellent entry in this series. Once again, I read this in tandem with William Barclay's commentaries. Two complementar approached.
Tracie Finke
Tracie Finke rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Beverly Brown
Beverly Brown rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Melissa Ford
Melissa Ford rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Chip Bauer
Chip Bauer rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Jeremy Piehler
Jeremy Piehler rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Larry Kowalski
Larry Kowalski rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Philbartu
Philbartu rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Michael Gibney
Michael Gibney rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Courtenay
Courtenay rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Rose Kronsperger
Rose Kronsperger rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Genericpraise
Genericpraise rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Darren Duke
Darren Duke rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Joel Jackson
Joel Jackson rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Bette rivera
Bette rivera rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Dennis Ticen
Dennis Ticen rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the
More about Michael Card...

Biblical Imagination (4 books)
  • Mark: The Gospel of Passion (Biblical Imagination)
  • Luke: The Gospel of Amazement (Biblical Imagination)
  • John: The Gospel of Wisdom (The Biblical Imagination Series)