Start by marking “Savannah Purchase” as Want to Read:
Savannah Purchase

Savannah Purchase

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  23 reviews
As children, Juliet and Josephine often played the innocent game of impersonation. They were cousins, but they looked enough alike to be twins.

Life and war separated them, but the years didn't dim the astonishing resemblance.

Now Fate suddenly threw them together again -- two beautiful, desirable women playing out a deadly masquerade.

Set against the elegance, splendor and g
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published July 12th 1979 by Fawcett (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Savannah Purchase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savannah Purchase

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonThe Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Gems from the Past
105th out of 334 books — 354 voters
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark TwainA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensFollowing Chelsea by Shari GreenThe Ivy Tree by Mary StewartThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Twins and Doppelgangers
14th out of 60 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

CLM
Dec 31, 2009 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Heyer
This might be my favorite of all Jane Aiken Hodge's work. I have always loved impersonation stories, and this one is the story of cousins Josephine and Juliet, brought up in Napoleon's France, but now living in America. Josephine is married to Hyde Purchase, a Savannah landowner, but is determined to finance a mission to rescue Napoleon from imprisonment. She asks cousin and practically twin Juliet to take her place so her husband won't know of the rescue mission. Penniless, Juliet accepts, only ...more
Diane Lynn
Two cousins, alike enough to be twins, switch places. From the plantation Winchelsea to the grand house on Oglethorpe Square in Savannah, these two hatch quite a scheme. Josephine, the older of the two, is the brains behind this plot. Or is she? Can they pull it off and at what cost? I really liked this book, the descriptions were wonderful. I think, by the description, the pride of India trees must be what we know as crape myrtles. Love those live oaks with spanish moss.
Jane Mercer
Jane Aiken Hodge does write some very good books Savannah Purchase was not one of her best though I did enjoy it. The plot hinges on the resemblance of two cousins alike enough to be twins in looks. Juliet is penniless and recovering from the death of her father Josephine rich, flighty and selfish both of French origin now in New Orleans. Josephine decides she is going to rescue Bonaparte from St Helena but needs to be away from home and her husband to do so, she persuades Juliet to take her pla ...more
Alicia
Feb 01, 2010 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes romance, period pieces
Recommended to Alicia by: no one
Chapters: 15 // Pages: 205

I happen to be a fan of Jane Aiken Hodge. I've, thus far, read six of her books (if memory serves) and have liked each one. She's a truly good 20th-century authoress, who weaves great, entertaining stories with well-researched eras in history, and has a way with creating a brand of romance between hero and heroine that sometimes leaves you wondering if they'll get together in the end.
This book is set in 1800s Savannah, Georgia. Two cousins, who pass for twins, get thems
Anne
So far, this is my favorite by this author. The story was really good. I loved the whole 'switch places' idea. The characters were great! Loved them. There was plenty of excitement to keep me interested. (view spoiler)
Peggy
Jan 04, 2015 Peggy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peggy by: Constance
Loved it--I'd give a sixth star just for the Jane Austen references if I could! :)
Alice
Identical Cousins Switch Places

Lovely Regency Romance set in Savannah, where the rich Mr. Hyde Purchis has married the very french Josephine. Josephine married for wealth and is immensely bored and quite shallow, but she does have one plan. She's planning to use her husband's money to buy a ship and free Napoleon from St. Helena. To do this she talks her cousin who is her twin in looks, to temporarily take her place at home. The rest of the story takes off from there. Absolutely great, as poor J
Jan
Mar 08, 2009 Jan marked it as to-read
recommended by Constance, whose recommendations I never ignore!!!
Hannah Cobb
Juliet and Josephine are cousins, daughters of exiled French nobility. AS children they were inseparable, and fond of switching places to confuse the nuns at their convent school. So when Josephine appears after a long separation and begs Juliet to help out with a far more dangerous deception, Juliet lets herself be convinced to take her cousin's place--in society, and in an unhappy marriage--just for a few days. Then Josephine disappears, leaving Juliet to deal with Savannah's upper class, a ho ...more
Deena Hoch
A female prince and a pauper love story

Easy to read with wonderful illustrative words to describe the early 1800's in Savannah. Love the ending although it did not seem finished.
Jenny
It was an interesting plot idea, and of course well written. I think it was a little over the top though. And a little conveniently ended (although in this case that's a good thing).
graded a B/B-
Good Reader
Humorous book about french cousins Juliet and Josephine who trade places so Josephine can go off and rescue Napoleon from Elba. Complicated by the fact that Josephine is married to a wealthy plantation owner, who she no longer has relations with, but Juliet falls for. It is funny to see the confused reactions people have when the cousins switch back and forth!
I read this book before as Savannah Purchase and gave it two stars. I don't know why. I read it again (Jan 2015) under the title All for Love and really liked it and gave it four stars. Charming, clever and the history and locale were well done and interesting.
Sue
The exciting tory of Juliet, who takes her cousin's place as wife to Hyde Purchiss, when Josephine tries to rescue Napoleon. Great story, well-written with lots of excitement, and a most satisfying conclusion. I enjoyed it even more on re-reading.
Lauren
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Jane Aiken Hodge is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Ayelet
Classic but there is only one copy in Cleveland. I think my mom and I are the only ones who read it. Who wouldn't love identical cousins switching places?
Kaye
So much fun - masquerading as her cousin, the main character falls in love with her cousin's husband. Set in early 19th century Savannah.
Charlene Vertefeuille
I like stories about switching places, this one was great. Lots of twists and a great Hero! Love the ending...
Shauna/Doorways
Very Georgette Heyer-esqe, but set her in the States pre-Civil War. I really liked the plot and characterizations!
Linda
Good read about almost identical sousins who exchange places and both fall in love with the same man.
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press
Amy Graves
One of my all time favorites.
Pat Stearman
Another author I loved.
Rangsarit Tarava
Rangsarit Tarava marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Pat Riesenweber
Pat Riesenweber marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • Thunder Heights
  • Merlin's Keep
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Ravenscroft
  • The Proud Breed
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • My Brother Michael
  • The Parfit Knight
  • The Bride Of The Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Marianne (Marianne, #1)
  • Tempting Torment (McClellan Brothers, #3)
  • Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • Beauvallet
Jane Aiken Hodge was born in the USA, brought up in the UK and read English at Oxford. She received a master's degree from Radcliffe College, Harvard University.

Before her books became her living she worked as a civil servant, journalist, publishers' reader and a reviewer.

She has written lives of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer as well as a book about women in the Regency period, PASSION AND PRINC
More about Jane Aiken Hodge...
The Private World of Georgette Heyer Watch the Wall, My Darling Marry in Haste The Winding Stair Runaway Bride