Start by marking “Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography

Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography

THE REAL STORY BEHIND INXS'S RISE TO FAME -- AND HOW THEY HELPED DEFINE THE MUSIC OF A GENERATION.

INXS broke new musical ground. This Australian band, made up of three brothers and their three best mates, took the world by storm, turning rock, pop, and funk into a cutting edge, danceable style, and selling more than thirty million albums worldwide. "INXS: Story to Story" t
Published November 7th 2006 by Atria Books (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inxs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inxs

Megan
May 16, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
As I read this one, I was reminded of just how much I loved INXS when they were at their peak...and how saddened I was by Michael Hutchence's death. He is one of my all-time favorite singers and I still love hearing his voice when I listen to my favorite INXS albums. I've always thought that if he'd lived, INXS would have been one of those bands with the same staying power as U2, R.E.M., and some of my other favorites from the mid-1980's. I learned a lot (maybe TOO much, in some regards ;)) that ...more
Pamela
Aug 24, 2008 Pamela rated it liked it
Yes, another saga of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Lots of juicy stories involving Queen, Adam Ant, etc. But aside from that, it's clear that the bands Australian constituents were unpretentious and humble...although poor Michael Hutchence seemed to veer from the track as his fame grew. One thing I learned that I did not know all these years...three of these boys are brothers. Surprisingly, there was no musical past in that family; simply two parents that supported and urged their kids to pick ...more
Kerry Harrison
Jan 09, 2013 Kerry Harrison rated it really liked it
This book doesn't really reveal whether Michael Hutchence's death was a suicide or an accident but it does hint that the rest of the band are also still unsure themselves, of what exactly happened to their band mate and childhood friend. It highlights perhaps their differing opinions on the events of that tragic morning and also their great sorrow, even to this day, of the loss of their friend. A great insight into the early days of touring outback and seaside Australia and the later, much grand ...more
Sammi Fredenburg
i've been reading band bio's in between earnest reading, pretty much only if they are autobio's. this one broke my heart with the loss of Hutch, but as a fan of Geldof, it was interesting to hear Sir Bob and Bono share in here the "rest of the story" in regards to the loss of the bandmember and Bob's wife.
Christina
Sep 18, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80's fans
Learned all I ever could from this book about Inxs and the members! Great stuff!!! I especially loved the "band stories" that they share!!! They are memorable!!!! It still makes me angry to this day about what could have been!
Eric
Feb 11, 2011 Eric rated it it was ok
Yes, this is a very well-researched, authorized book, but there is way too much fawning going on. Bozza is clearly a fan, but lets too much fanboy praise cloud the story.
Craig Stevens
Jun 13, 2010 Craig Stevens rated it liked it
This is one of the most badly written books I've read in a while, but the story of the band stopped it from being awful...
Scott Holstad
Jun 16, 2013 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it
OK, this is the "official autobiography" of INXS, so it's somewhat filtered, I'm assuming. That said, it's pretty well researched and fairly well written, although the author is an obvious fan boy and makes INXS out to be pretty much the greatest band of all time, which annoyed the hell out of me.

It was enjoyable to read about the band's beginnings in Australia, when they were high and middle school students. How they played the pub scene for years, all around the country, sometimes three shows
Tod Hilton
Mar 11, 2017 Tod Hilton rated it liked it
Interesting, but fairly narcissistic account of their story, which sometimes makes it offputting.
Esther
Feb 24, 2014 Esther rated it it was amazing
Chris
Jul 09, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I picked up this book, after hearing a radio retrospective on INXS, I certainly wasn't expecting much of it. "How exciting can it be; they're just a little pop band," was generally my thinking...

Um, NO! They had a genuinely amazing rise from their days as The Farriss Brothers in the wild Australian bar scene of the 1970s, a couple shows playing to wild mining communities where they almost lost their lives crossing the desert from Perth, and odd surfer parties around Sydney, to touring with
Mark
Mar 11, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing
THE greatest band of all time - I challenge you to say otherwise.
Follows the band through early teens when they regrouped in Perth to moving back to Sydney in the late seventies, changing their name from Farriss Brothers to INXS. Releasing a debut album and the si gle Just Keep Walking.
The rise of the Aussie band swept onto American shores with MTV and then worldwide fame. 1987 KICK changed everything.
But enigmatic front man had his struggles - a collaboration with Ollie Olson called Max Q had
Andrew
Oct 15, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
At times it was an interesting insight into the rise of the band and management of its career trajectory but mostly it was just Bozza geeking out. It's interesting that it stopped short of the whole Rockstar: INXS/J.D. Fortune debacles though Rockstar is mentioned in one of the blurbs printed in the book. Why not explore that side of the band's history? Also, no speaking with J.D. Fortune? I mean, wasn't he technically a part of the band albeit for a short period?

This band continued on (or more
Mark
Oct 14, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, music
A thoroughly researched, well-written account of the lives for six lads from Australia who formed a band and - however briefly - conquered the world with it. From the earliest beginnings, through the formation of nascent bands that led them to each other, this doesn't skimp anything - the sex, drugs or rock 'n roll. Once things start to move, the rollercoaster kicks in and it's fascinating, seeing how they took Australia, then Europe (London being a problem for them, it appears), then the US on ...more
Lee Fogel
Sep 10, 2015 Lee Fogel rated it liked it
A very good history of the band especially the early years. And plenty of insight about how the band interacted with one another and their song building/structure. And it does shed some light on Michael Hutchence and his struggles later in his life. Very insightful for sure. However the read, at times, gets annoying as the author fawns over them a bit much. And the author is far too liberal and repetitive about how big their influence was/is. They were without question one of the finest bands of ...more
miaaa
The remaining band members, and those who were there since the early days of the bands pre INXS, shared their stories. Funny and witty, a mark of Aussie folks down under. These stories got me laughed so hard, and felt blessed to know their songs and what they've been through.

The part about Michael Hutchence's death, and how other members think and feel about him, made me all tearing up. I can't help but feeling the lost and their helplessness. Yet Michael's soul still alive, through the songs h
Lucy
Sep 09, 2014 Lucy rated it liked it
I loved these guys in the '80s and '90s. And that Michael Hutchence, what a voice. This is a great rock and roll story, and a tragic story. The thing that struck me was how the rest of the band was and is still grieving Hutchence's death as if it had happened yesterday. Although, it's totally understandable. How do you make sense of a totally senseless end - the terrible, slow decline and ultimate suicide of such a vibrant, brilliant talent?
SouthWestZippy
Not an en-depth book into the lives of the band but a good insightful look.Anthony Bozza gives you a good look into their lives before INXS, their rise and fall from fame, their climb back and in finding themselves after the death of Michael Hutchence on November 22, 1997. Not a lot of bashing but is straight forward on feelings on the people who have come and gone in the lives of the men in INXS. Good but not great book,some of it was repetitive and long winded but overall worth the read.
Guy Granlund
Dec 14, 2010 Guy Granlund rated it it was ok
Disappointed with the writing style in this book, in particular I found the explanations of the differences between English/American culture and Australian culture a little annoying although it may have been aimed at the insular American readers more than us English folk (OOOHH handbags at the ready) I felt the writing style did not grip me especially as the anecdotes and storeys of the INXS boys rise to fame had all the ingredients for a thoroughly good read.
Rik Schnabel
Jan 07, 2016 Rik Schnabel rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I totally missed this band in their hey day. Though I must say that after the INXS movie I experienced them with new eyes and ears and ended up buying all of their CDs at once - which I highly recommend. Then listen to the music and read this book and it will add a great depth to the experience.

I now love this band.
Catherine
Mar 31, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, biography
Beautifuly written account of this iconic bands' rise to stardom. I must admit to shedding a few tears reading the sad demise of a true rock and roll star. Was it suicide or an act of autoeroticism? Only one things for sure - the world will never see another Michael Hutchence.
Jeanette
Aug 10, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
If you are an INXS fan, you must read this book. There are all kinds of wonderful tidbits of information and stories from the band. I loved it. I will probably re-read certain parts. It's an easy, quick, interesting book. Loved it.
Liliana
May 14, 2014 Liliana rated it it was amazing
Defiantly a must read for all INXS fans who want to know everything...and I mean EVERYTHING ;)
Heidi Glover
Dec 28, 2012 Heidi Glover rated it really liked it
there was a lot more going on in that band than i thought...who knew the drug use was so rampant.
Hot
Jun 22, 2011 Hot rated it liked it
This was not my favorite rock autobiography, but I did enjoy it. And I will probably read it again.
Lisa Viola
Jan 05, 2015 Lisa Viola rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the first account stories from the members of the band. INXS is Aussie rock royalty and this book reminds us how they earned their fame by creating their own sound.
Heather Moore
Feb 17, 2014 Heather Moore rated it it was amazing
Excellent.......loved it !!!! A wonderful insight to a great band. Some very humorous stories. Recommend it!
Linda
Jan 02, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
I really enjoyed getting to know more about the guys in INXS, the music scene in the 80's and Australia. But I have to say that if you're not a big fan, it's probably not the book for you.
Candace
Jul 24, 2011 Candace rated it liked it
okay, the beginning was good and the end about Michael. I was never really a fan of the band.
Rebecca
Jan 20, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Aussie boys being very very naughty.
  • There's a Bear in There (and He Wants Swedish)
  • James Dean: Little Boy Lost - An Intimate Biography
  • Light My Fire
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones
  • Waiting for the Sun: Strange Days, Weird Scenes, and The Sound Of Los Angeles
  • Special Deluxe: A Memoir of Life & Cars
  • AC/DC: Maximum Rock  Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World’s Greatest Rock-and-Roll Band
  • They Made a Monkee Out of Me
  • Nirvana: The Biography
  • Born or Bred? Martin Bryant: the making of a mass murderer
  • Norma Jean
  • Montgomery Clift: A Biography
  • Remarks: The Story of "R.E.M."