Start by marking “Shurik: A Story of the Siege of Leningrad” as Want to Read:
Shurik: A Story of the Siege of Leningrad

Shurik: A Story of the Siege of Leningrad

A nurse finds hope, love, and renewal in an orphaned boy, Shurik.
Published April 1st 1992 by Lyons and Burford Publishers (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Shurik, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shurik

Wendi
Aug 18, 2010 Wendi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't want this book to end. The characters were alive and real through the utilization of all the senses and efficient words. My knowledge of The Siege of Leningrad and the history surrounding WW2 is limited and this book presented a good opportunity to get a glimpse. The author must possess a beautiful soul; she found the blessing in the darkness and shared it with us. It is a love story that I cherish. I hope everyone will read "Shurik."

The author lived through the 900 days. She served Len
K.
Feb 28, 2016 K. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parties interested in WWII, what happened in Russia
Recommended to K. by: Utah J.
My 13 yo was assigned to read this for an online WWII class this term. I was intrigued. I've never read anything about what happened in Russia during WWII.

This book was written for the YA crowd so it wasn't too graphic or horrifying (circumstances, yes, but overall feel, no). The author wrote another book for adults on the 900 day siege of Leningrad that might be more terrifying in detail, maybe? I would say this book is suitable probably for the over 12 crowd who aren't prone to panic attacks
Betty
Jun 30, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
This is the autobiography of Kyra Petrovskaya, a Russian actress, who reveals the early details of her life with a focus on the Siege of Leningrad. The story intrigues me because you follow a series of events which take the Russians from a near European lifestyle to and through the German invasion of Russia. It is like a "you were there" look at the siege of a city. In the sequel, Shurik, she goes into more detail of the siege, the starvation, the forced labor, the shortages, the horrific ...more
Judy
Jan 28, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leningrad-siege
This is the story of a young boy during the German siege of Leningrad during World War II. The city was surrounded for 900 days and the people dropped dead on the streets from starvation. Even leather belts and briefcases were boiled and eaten. Precious books were used as firewood. In 2000 we visited the city and saw the museum that honors the people of that time. A sample bread ration was displayed that looked about the size of a stick of butter. During this time experts were trying to save the ...more
Alicia
Jul 12, 2012 Alicia rated it it was ok
This true story gave a very interesting first-hand account of the siege of Leningrad during WWII. The highly-descriptive narrative and style did not gel with my personal taste. Characters felt two-dimensional. I desired a brief epilogue to follow-up with Shurik, Kyra and/or the people of Leningrad as a whole after the siege ended. Half of the book takes place apart from Shurik's story, so the title really should have been Kyra, not Shurik.
K.N.
The author lets her readers know from the beginning that she and Shurik lost touch after the war, and that's all I could think about as I finished this book. It made the ending even sadder.

This was very eye-opening for what the people of Leningrad endured during the siege, and it was also a great story about a remarkable (and remarkably lucky) boy. It was also very steeped with Russian culture and morals, which were fascinating.
K (Karen)
Sep 05, 2014 K (Karen) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this real-life story about the siege of Leningrad 30+ years ago and it really opened my world view. While I found it in my 6th grade classroom, it could be unsettling to some kids who aren't aware of the realities of war, especially to civilians. It made enough of an impact that I thought a reread was in order.
Sally
Jul 03, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sally by: Mom
My mom attended an author discussion of this book many, many years ago, when I was in junior high school. She purchased a copy for me and had it autographed by the author. And so begins my obsession with owning autographed books!
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Whyvonwhy
Whyvonwhy rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Timi Cabana
Timi Cabana rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Enoch
Enoch rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Jude
Jude rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2013
Samantha
read it as a child, no memory of it.
Dawnya H Fode
Dawnya H Fode rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Utah.J.
Utah.J. rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Paul Hokanson
Paul Hokanson rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Malin Simonsson
Malin Simonsson rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Hannah Boyd
Hannah Boyd rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Sheri McEntire
Sheri McEntire rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Steven and Naomi
Steven and Naomi rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Barbara James-Richardson
Barbara James-Richardson rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Hadassah
Hadassah rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
May 21, 2008