Start by marking “Back on Track” as Want to Read:
Back on Track

Back on Track (Strangers on a Train)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  43 reviews
What's a little lie between strangers?

A Strangers on a Train Story

Allie Whittaker is in a dating slump, too busy getting her fledgling marketing company off the ground to have a personal life. All that could change, though, if she can get baseball superstar Matt Kearns on the cover of a charity calendar. Except Matt won't even talk to her.

Matt is in a slump, worried his ca
Published April 2nd 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Back on Track, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back on Track

Paula

Allie Whittaker doesn’t have time to date while trying to get her marketing company off the ground. And the over-worked woman is in dire need of having a little bit of fun. At least, that’s what her good friend Sandra says when she takes her on a Napa Valley train tour.This tour includes copious amounts of wine and hot guys to flirt with.

Matt Kearns, baseball superstar, is worried about his career and needed a little afternoon getaway to help forget his worries. And his worries disappeared immed
Kellie G.
Napa Valley wine train + a hot, sexy baseball player = an excellent novella!! Loved it!
Liz
Reviewed for Sara at www.HarlequinJunkie.com! :D

Review copy courtesy of the publisher.

Ok, there was so much about this book that I liked! And one giant thing I didn't like. So let me tell you what I didn't like so I can get it out of the way and start gushing about this one. Ok, it's a novella!! Grrr! I really don't like novellas and THIS book is the reason why: I WANT MORE!!! More of the characters! More of their story! More of this world! I can only hope that these authors who took part in thi
Allie has been working too hard at building her new marketing company to have much of a social life but if she can make a success of the charity calendar she is working on then her business will be secure. She just has one more name to sign up for the calendar but baseball star Matt Kearns won't even listen to her pitch. When her friend drags her out for a Napa Valley wine tour the last person she expects to bump into is Matt but now she's found him how can she resist the opportunity to make her ...more
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

What do a dating slump and a pitching slump have in common? Allie Whitaker hasn't had a date in too long to think about, and Matt Kearns is coming off an injury and looking at the end of his professional baseball career. They shouldn't have much to talk about.

The one thing that there is a LOT of on a Napa Valley wine tour, especially a train tour where none of the guests have to drive is, well, Napa Valley wine! Allie's friends dare her to chat up a strange
Lexxie
Apr 09, 2013 Lexxie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans
*I got a free ARC of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review*

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews - I just have to say I really liked this story! It had everything I love in a contemporary romance - hot hero, cute heroine, adorable humor and just enough of tension to make things very interesting!

Back on Track is a short novella about Allie and Matt. They have both been avoiding dating for a while, each for their own reasons. When their
Erin
What do you get when you put an overworked beauty looking for some romance and a hottie star pitcher looking to hide away together on a train (oh, and add copious amounts of yummy wine)? Some seriously hot chemistry and an entertaining novella that I just loved!!

I absolutely adored I Do...or I Die, and I've been so anxious to read more of this author's work. Her latest novella did the trick! Allie was adorable, and as she and Matt tried to get to know each other while hiding their true identity
MaggieReadsRom
3,75 stars
This is my first encounter with Donna Cummings work and I liked it a lot. She has a humorous tone to her writing that I immediately clicked with. I especially loved the dialogue and the banter between the main characters and between them and their respective best friends.

One tiny thing that bothered me was the conflict and how Matt blew it a bit out of proportion. But this didn't get in the way of my overall enjoyment of the story because he comes around pretty quick and makes it righ
Victoria Colotta
All Aboard! I recently had the opportunity to read Back on Track (A Strangers on a Train Story) by Donna Cummings and what a fun ride it was! This quick read has wit, a bit of deception (in fun of course), and wine on a train. What more could you ask for?

From the beginning to the end, I was engaged in the story of these two characters. They read like real people who are going through real life situations. I can particularly identify with Allie, the workaholic who is trying to get her business of
Rachel Kall
This is supposed to be a fun and light read. So I didn't take it too seriously trying to figure out who knew what about whom. This book got me through my morning cardio routine. I thought it was cute, sexy and sassy. The chemistry between Allie and Matt was fun, and I loved the baseball/celebrity storyline. Also love the idea of a wine train.
Clare O'Beara
This story of romance blossoming on a Napa Valley wine train appeals on many levels. At heart it's a simple story of girl meets boy. However, throw in some mischief about not wanting to own up to their identities and the fun takes off.

The guy is a baseball player who is tired of being noticed only for his sporting prowess, hoping to meet some classy ladies instead of sports groupies. The lady is a small business owner talked into making time for this trip by her giddy friend. She can't explain
Bri
Apr 11, 2013 Bri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this one. The set-up was unique and different, and I liked both characters. To top it all off, the banter and chemistry was spot-on. A quick, fun read.
Angela Quarles
Won an ARC -- Like all of her writing, I just had a big grin on my face the whole time I was reading this...
Sunny
Mar 30, 2013 Sunny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
so clever.
Jessi
Flirty dialog, big muscles, and plenty of wine.

Allie and Matt start out their flirtatious encounter on a Napa Valley wine tour with lies, lies, and more lies, but they both know they're lying--it's a flirting game--no harm will be done. Only harm is inadvertently done, because they both want more from the other than a one-off encounter with no strings attached.

Matt's a major league baseball player who can't go anywhere without fans and women draping themselves all over him. He's incognito on a w
Guilty Pleasures
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

5 Stars

I'm a huge baseball fan so the minute I started this book, I was pretty excited. A slumping pitcher headed for a rehab assignment and a small business woman are both dragged on a wine tasting train tour by well meaning friends. They meet purely by circumstance and are brought together by a game of "guess the truth" that leads to them both telling quite a few untruths. I found Back On Track to be completely entertaining, witty, and down
Brunette Librarian
Find the entire review and other thoughts at my blog during the Strangers on a Train Blog Tour in April 2013 ( “Back on Track” By: Donna Cummings )

Allie Whittaker is out for a night on the town...well an evening on the train as it were. Trying to meet new people and maybe find a hot guy, she sees a guy sitting near the back wearing a baseball hat and who seems kind of grumpy. When she approaches Mr. hat she realizes he is really a fairly famous baseball player.
Matt Kearns is a world famous bas
Pat
....
This is the second book in the collection of Strangers on a Train. There is no particular order to the novellas, but all center around various train adventures.

Allie Whitaker is on a Wine Train traveling through Napa with her best friend. Allie has spent the last several months trying to get her struggling marketing company off the ground. Pretty much all work and no play. Her friend Sandra guilted her into taking the trip today. They had hardly seen each other and there never seemed time fo
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
This was my favorite story out of all the Strangers novellas and ultimately lead me to one of my new favorite authors! This story was fun and flirty and I found myself falling in love with this couple easily. What starts out as a fun way to break the ice soon starts to cause problems between Matt and Allie. The entire time they are hanging out she is pretending not to recognize Matt is the famous Ball player and Matt feels relieved she doesn't recognize him. They spend most of the train ride get ...more
Stephanie Collins
This was a fun story about a woman who needs to get a life and a man who needs to find his way back to life. Allie is working extremely hard to get her new marketing company off the ground that she hasn’t bothered to let herself have a social life. Dating? Who has time for that when you want to make this new venture succeed. She’s persuaded to take a train ride that also includes a lot of wine tasting when her friend talks her in to walking up to a strange man and playing a little game of guess ...more
Dabney

this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

I read all five of the works in this collection.Back on Trackfell firmly in the middle.

Allie Whittaker has been dragged onto the Napa Valley Wine Train (Thisreally exists and, man, do I wish I could go on it.) by her best friend. Allie has, for too long, been all business and no party. She's just started her own marketing firm and has been busting her shapely butt to get it off the ground. This particular wine ride has lots of single me
Jaime Arkin
Allie hasn't been on a date forever because she's been trying to get her fledgling marketing company off the ground. She's been trying to get Matt Kearns to pose in a calendar for a client and she is determined to make it happen.

Matt has been in a slump... It's hard to date anyone who doesn't know who he is and have them not try to use it to their advantage.

What happens when Allie and Matt meet by chance on a Napa Valley Wine Train tour and their interaction beings with just a little lie?

I rea
Christi Snow
My Review:
This was flat-out just a super-fun, hot little read! Constantly throughout the book, I kept finding myself with a little grin on my face. I love books that do that for me.

This train ride is a fun way to meet singles...it's a three-hour wine tour through Napa Valley. Both Allie and Matt were dragged onto it by their friends, but neither one of them are complaining when they meet. I loved the lying game...I think it worked so well for their flirtation/get-to-know-each-other time.

Allie h
Mae Clair
This is a charmingly breezy romance that can be wrapped up in one word - - fun! Allie Whittaker and her friend are passengers on a train traveling through Napa Valley wine country when Allie encounters celebrity baseball player, Matt Kearns. In a plot twist that plays enjoyably throughout the story, Allie tells him she once dated Matt Kearns, not realizing (at first) who he is. Almost immediately, she puts two and two together.

Matt, meanwhile, pretends to be someone who is often mistaken for Ma
Beate
I loved this one. Allie is off-beat and funny as hell. I understand why a guy like Matt would be completely taken with her. She's adorable! I love their interactions on the train. I love how they get hot and heavy without much of anything happening because of some crazy fans stalking Matt all over the place. This is one story I wish was longer. I wanted to get to know the characters even more, see where their story goes.
Rachel
This was a fun little read! Second one of the "Strangers on a Train" novella's I read. I really enjoyed the premise of how Matt and Allie met. It was definitely a meet-cute (and such a fun and different one) and the chemistry sparked from there! I can't say I blame Allie for wanting Matt to be in that calendar...hello cute baseball player! Great little story that puts a smile on my face!
Angela
Fun. This book made me grin while reading it. I loved the slight nervousness and the casting aside of their uncomfortable (for different reasons) personas to have fun with each other. I was slightly irritated by the lying accusation, but their friends screwed their heads on straight quick enough :) Really liked them together, and this one in general. Going to look for more by Donna Cummings now!
Mandi Schreiner
This is cute except

(view spoiler)
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
This was the last SoaT book I've read and I'm so happy I saved it for last.
Matt and Allie's story is a lie. Well, kind of.
It's filled with wine, fun, lots of laughs and genuine humor, an impromptu rendezvous in a train bathroom and... Lies. And I loved every second of reading it. You will too.
Niloofar
Niloofar marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Tight Quarters
  • Ticket Home
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Big Boy
  • Forbidden (Southern Comfort #2)
  • Pitcher Perfect
  • Neighbors and More (High Rise #1)
  • Wild Burn (Wild State, #1)
  • At His Mercy
  • O Christmas Three (Texas Highlanders Ice Hockey, #0.5)
  • Skin in the Game (Play Action #1)
  • Should've Known Better (Storm, #1)
  • Fighting Fair
I have worked as an attorney, winery tasting room manager, and retail business owner, but nothing beats the thrill of writing humorously-ever-after romances.

I reside in New England, although I fantasize about spending the rest of my days in a tropical locale, wearing flip flops year-round, or in Regency London, scandalizing the ton.

I can usually be found on Twitter talking about writing and coffee
More about Donna Cummings...
Summer Lovin' (Seasons of Love #1) Lord Midnight I Do. . . or Die Lord Rakehell's Love (The Curse of True Love, #1) Lord Wastrel (The Curse of True Love #2)