Start by marking “Tight Quarters” as Want to Read:
Tight Quarters

Tight Quarters (Strangers on a Train)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Two hearts converge…until fear runs love off the rails.

A Strangers on a Train Story

In the years since a horrific car accident left her with a long list of phobias, Brenna Burke has overcome them all except one. Crippling claustrophobia—not a good trait for an aspiring travel writer.

With an interview for her dream job looming, Brenna forces herself to board a train for a we
Published April 2nd 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tight Quarters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tight Quarters

Kelly_Instalove
Grade: D (very, very close to being a DNF)

He wanted to tell her he was sorry for being so cavalier about her phobia. Anyone who had lived through that hell would end up with some kind of damage, and she was fighting it.

Lesson learned from this story: Only phobias and anxieties triggered by tragedy and trauma are worthy of sympathy. All others are fair game for shame and ridicule.

In other words, a big FUCK YOU to readers like me who don’t have a heart-wrenching backstory to blame for their irrat
Lexxie
Different from the other Strangers on a Train books for sure.

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog, where the review wa originally posted: (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Tight Quarters is the fourth story I have read in the Strangers on a Train series by different authors. It is quite different from the other books in this series, because the characters, Reid and Brenna, both have something difficult to deal with.
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
I randomly started with Samantha Hunter's Tight Quarters. The heroine, Brenna, is a travel writer who suffers from claustrophobia after being in a bad car accident. Any enclosed space, even a car, is difficult for her -not good for someone in her job.

For the last few years, Brenna has been trying to get on a train that does a tour through New York State. This year, finally, she's managed to get on, only to find that her carefully chosen berth has been double booked by retired detective Reid Coo
Ever since she spent three hours trapped inside a crushed car after a terrible accident Brenna has been struggling to cope with her phobias. It has taken a long time but she is finally getting her fears under control, now if she can just learn to deal with her claustrophobia she might have a chance to get her dream job as a travel writer. She has booked a weekend train tour believing that if she can cope with staying in a tiny cabin she can deal with anything that the job could throw at her. Unf ...more
Jaime Arkin
Brenna Burke is determined to make it through a full weekend on a train in order to interview for her dream job... but first she has to overcome the crippling claustrophobia that she has. It's been years since the accident that brought the phobia on and this is her last hurdle.

Reid Cooper is a retired NYPD detective who after a brush with death is determined to change his life.

When a booking mistake interferes with both their plans, they find that they connect on an intense and passionate leve
Thaliath
2.5

This wasn't an awful read but I found the story really predictable and therefore, boring.

Characterization was sketchy at best and caricatural at worst. Sure, the hero was awful nice but he had no reason to be. It's not that I have no sympathy for the heroine's plight but her issues, the way it was depicted, felt superficial and unrealistic, like a convenient pretext to the story, to make it original and add some dramatic weight. Removing all that, all that is left is an annoying/unsympatheti
Bri
Apr 11, 2013 Bri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
This was definitely my least favorite of the group. I just didn't connect with the characters and I thought the situations were unrealistic. I just wasn't able to get on board (heh) with this one.
Mandi Schreiner
Cute, but I think these characters and the situations they were in needed more time to unfold. Review coming.
Alexandria Mesa
This was a ridiculous book. I can't believe people have scored it so high but I guess there's a niche for it. I scored it a two and I felt that was generous, mainly because it was short and I skimmed the second half. The premise really is that the main girl has severe claustrophobia from a childhood accident and meets a guy who has his own issues from being shot on the job. It's set on a train trip, which really who do you think you are, Agatha Christie? And then they proceed to have a pretty su ...more
Jessi
I love a story where the characters battle phobias. This one features a woman with a chance to embark on her dream career of travel writing, but she needs to conquer her crippling claustrophobia before she can commit to the job she's been offered.

Here's the set up: Brenna is forcing herself to face her claustrophobia head on by taking a train trip to prove she can travel for the new job she's about to accept. The book opens on her fifth attempt to take said trip, meaning, she's tried and failed
Liz
Reviewed for Sara at www.HarlequinJunkie.com! :D

Review copy courtesy of the publisher.

I loved this novella! And you should know by now that I don't love novellas... But the author, Samantha Hunter, had me feeling happy, sad, angry and amused. All of that in 70-something pages? Consider me impressed!

Because Tight Quarters is one of the Strangers on a Train series, you know this is going to have a train involved. But this time, its a real, actual operating train (see my review for Big Boy by Ruthi
Guilty Pleasures
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this short story by Samantha Hunter. Tight Quarters takes place over a weekend on a train trip through New York State and turns into something so much more for a phobia laden writer and a retired NYPD detective recovering from being shot. It was hard not to like these two wounded characters and feel for their plight.

Brenna Burke survived a horrible accident as a teen that left her with several phobias but she’s manag
Brunette Librarian
Interview with Samantha Hunter and a chance to win her newest title @ http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com... until April 8th, 2013

Another train story, another novella, yet a totally new concept and a sizzling romance from Samantha Hunter. Brenna, a severe clausterphobic, is paired with a retired NYPD Police Detective called Reid Cooper. From the minute Brenna stepped on the train, I knew it was going to be a fantastic train adventure and I was completely right.

Brenna has been claustrophobic,
UltraMeital
Tight Quarters (Strangers on a Train) - Samantha Hunter Brenna and Reid are "stuck" together for a few days in the same berth on a train when both of them wants this trip to be a "time off". Actually Reid doesn't mind that much sharing the berth with her, but he won't give up his place on the train, while Brenna, dealing with her claustrophobia - REALLY doesn't want to share the berth with him (he's too big! :D) or anyone else that clouds her space and she surely doesn't want to give up the ride ...more
Christi Snow
My Review:

What a completely creative and wonderful twist on a reason for taking a train ride. Brenna suffers debilitating claustrophobia. She's trying to cure herself from it by taking a four day excursion on the train....where accommodations are tight. To make it even worse, there was a computer glitch and now she's sharing her tight accommodations with HUGE former NYPD cop who's 6'3" and 205 lbs.

Reid is not a small guy, but he has his own reasons for taking this trip. He needs the break and r
Pat

Two very different people meet by accident when a screw up by a computer books them in the same room on a train tour. Brenna Burke is a young woman fighting demons left over from a tragic accident as a teenager. Her last overwhelming phobia is claustrophobia. She has tried several times to take this train ride, but has quickly exited before it starts. This time she is determined to take the whole ride. Brenna has booked a particular room, it is larger, at the end of the train car and totally sui
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
Tug at my heartstrings and make me cry why don'tcha? This book was the most emotional of the series because Brenna's journey was sad to experience but beautiful to witness. Her claustrophobia is something i can relate to, and is probably why I hate large crowds. She orders the largest train car they have but because of the double booking she is forced to share space with Reid. This big brute stole my heart and my panties. I love men in uniform and Reid being a former cop was a huge turn on for m ...more
Stephanie Collins
Brenna is attempting to conquer a major fear of hers caused by a traumatic incident in her past. She's supported by the staff of the train as they really want her to succeed on this attempt but when she finds out there was a mistake with booking and she will have to share the berth with another passenger or try this again later. She can't try this again later because if she wants to become a travel writer she has to overcome this fear of enclosed spaces so she decides to make the best of it. Wha ...more
MaggieReadsRom
3,75 stars

I loved the premise of this story: because of double booking a claustrophobic heroine finds herself with an unexpected hot cop roomie on her the train trip that is going to overcome her claustrophobia.

And the book itself delivered on the promise of the premise. I really liked it. It even had me teary-eyed in the end and rooting for Brenna to overcome het fears and get her guy.

I was immediately drawn in by this author's fluent, simple and crisp voice. My first encounter with Samantha
Angela
On the one hand I really liked the interactions between the hero and the heroine.

On the other - magical sex cure for her phobia - didn't love it.

Also didn't love that I had no idea how they were going to make their life work. She wants to be a travel editor, traveling the world, and he wants to open up a B&B. There's no discussion on how they're going to actually make this relationship work, or even that that is a concern/consideration. Made me less able to buy into the grand gesture at th
Stevie Carroll
This was an interesting take on phobias, and worked very well for me, as did the description of the train journey itself. The double-booking issue has turned up rather too often recently for me to find it particularly fresh as a way of throwing characters together, but a fun read nonetheless.
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Another funny one, but pretty emotional at that.
I'm thoroughly impressed with how Samantha Hunter dealt with Brenna's issue in this novella, while including swoon, smut, fun and humor. I had tears in my eyes at the end there.

Very sweet.
Jody Allen
Loved this book. It was very well written with enough passion and drama to make me want to start taking train rides! The only problem with this book is that it was too short!
Giedre
Part of Strangers on a Train series.

I liked Tight Quarters, but it felt, I don't know, unfinished. Big problems, not enough pages...?
Katherine O'Grady
Nice story. Hero and heroine both have baggage, they work through them and find a HFN/HEA. It was nicely paced, sweet and sexy.
Shin Ae
I really enjoy reading this novella.
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Back on Track
  • Ticket Home
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Big Boy
  • Fighting Fair
  • Season of Second Chances
  • The Story Guy
  • Shaken
  • Summer Rain
  • Broken Beauty (Beauty, #3)
  • Run To You
  • Marked (Beyond, #3.5; Thompson & Sons, #1)
  • The Blue-Haired Boy (Faking Normal #0.5)
Samantha Hunter lives in Syracuse, NY, where after working as a university writing instructor for ten years she's began writing full-time at home. Her first book was a Harlequin Blaze, Virtually Perfect (July 2004), which was the very first book she ever wrote and submitted (so don't think it can't happen!). Since, she's written seven more Blaze books, with more on the horizon.

When she's not writi
More about Samantha Hunter...
Barely There Pick Me Up (Harlequin Blaze, #343) Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542) Talking In Your Sleep... (Harlequin Blaze #365) Untouched