Start by marking “Ethics: A History Of Moral Thought (Modern Scholar)” as Want to Read:
Ethics: A History Of Moral Thought (Modern Scholar)

Ethics: A History Of Moral Thought (Modern Scholar)

Presents a look at our history as ethical beings. Boston College professor Peter Kreeft delivers a course addressing some of the questions man has been asking since the beginning of time. What is good? What is bad? Why is justice important? Why is it better to be good and just than it is to be bad and unjust?
Audio Cassette
Published by Recorded Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ethics

Clare Cannon
Apr 25, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 15+ (no exceptions!)
Recommended to Clare by: the author
A brilliant, brilliant audio presentation which every person needs to hear. Please, listen to this, take your time, consider the questions, even argue if you like, but don't ignore this.

The other day I was at a book presentation and overheard a lady saying to some others 'I don't have time for philosophy, it's too hard keeping up with real life, let alone philosophy!' I nearly cried.

The things Professor Kreeft discusses in this course concern the very foundations of our society, law, culture and
Suneel Akkineni
Jan 19, 2014 Suneel Akkineni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I am listening to the book second time after year or so and I appreciate this course more than before. Professor Kreeft did an amazing job with the design of the course as well as reading it. He made a subject like 'History of Ethics' as enjoyable as any other best seller!

Now, take that with a pinch of salt! Since I have a keen interest in the subject, there is a possibility that I am influenced (*biased*). Nonetheless, it is a great book. I never listened to or read any other book which so eff
Ivan
Nov 24, 2015 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Great course!

The professor is indeed biased (who isn't?) and he even says so himself. But - and this is important - he is honest and gives you a great overview of philosophical thought over the centuries. Also, as he said himself, he is not a great philosopher, he is a teacher of philosophy, and when he occasionally gives his own arguments you know that those are his arguments and you are invited to agree with him or not. That is exactly the objective of the course: have you thinking for yoursel
Mike
Aug 06, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
this was a good course, interesting, but ultimately strangely unenlightening. I think I've discovered why philosophy will ultimately never really hold my interest as a subject - it always comes down to arguing terms, and then deciding that words don't really mean anything anyway, or only what we think they mean - it all melts away like a snowflake in your palm. This course does do a good job of presenting the ancient viewpoint, and then contrasting that with revolutionaries as they pop up - ...more
Lee at All Ears
Ethics: A History of Moral Thought by Prof. Peter Kreef. This work on ethics was very well presented with an enjoyable amount of history and a solid dose the eternal questions we face on right and wrong, good and bad. It was very informative to have it presented with a strong historical timeline which made me feel like I was watching our civilization build up our foundation of values marble stone by marble stone. And to see how the great minds had such different perspectives and reached differin ...more
Philip
Feb 23, 2013 Philip rated it it was amazing
Brilliant analysis of Ethics in light of philosophy. Sure, this approach may not lend itself to giving you all the answers, but it will leave you asking the right questions. For example, I walked away asking myself why, for all our advances, modernized nations have the highest suicide rates, and "underdeveloped" nations have some of the lowest. Why is happiness elusive? What is the greatest good and why haven't we found it?
Leif Denti
Jul 13, 2014 Leif Denti rated it really liked it
Föreläsningsserie om etikens och moralens framväxt med start Sokrates. Varje lektion tar upp en (eller ett par) filosofer på området. Totalt 14 lektioner a 30-40 min. Jag tyckte första halvan var bäst då den drar upp etikens fundament och stora frågeställningar. I stort bra och läs(hör)värd då den ger en enkel och bra förståelse för de viktigaste filosofernas position inom området. Jag gillade också att professorn var uppmuntrande och själv mycket intresserad av området.
LemontreeLime
Jun 17, 2011 LemontreeLime rated it really liked it
Excellent author! He is able to do that most difficult thing: make philosophers comprehensible (and in an amusing way too)!! I listened to this in order to try to understand what a dear friend was trying to teach, and found much to think about. This author is so good i am willing to see how well he can explain the summa theologica of Aquinas. Something i'm not sure id ever attempt, but with Kreeft writing the 'cliff notes' version, then maybe there's hope after all.
Peter
Jan 16, 2011 Peter added it
Mac talked of running the half marathon at the London Marathon with some new friends he's made in London. I was excited by this, thinking maybe I could get fit enough to join him. Started surfing to the Running Times website and generally getting caught up in the desire to get back to running. . . .
Michael
Feb 21, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these lectures. I'm always amazed by how he's able to present this material without being dry, overly technical, or boring. Kudos to Peter Kreeft! Worth relistening to if you're interested in the subject of ethics.
Maggie
Dec 13, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: lecture-series
i really enjoy these lecture series. they are succinct, informative, and easy to listen to. pdf files to review the particulars.
Rafał
Sep 28, 2012 Rafał rated it liked it
the course is very interesting and easy to listen to. I would have given it a higher rating If not for the complete omission of Darwinizm that blew up the old way of understanding ethics.
Donna
Mar 17, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-courses
I am a Peter Kreeft fan and it was great to hear him teach this course. He knows how to make things interesting.
Jesús Dávila
Jesús Dávila rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Jennifer rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2016
Drew Brown
Drew Brown rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Igor Tkachenko
Igor Tkachenko rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Markus R.
Markus R. rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2010
Barry Mann
Barry Mann rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Shaun Henderson
Shaun Henderson rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Onsi
Onsi rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Johnman
Johnman rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Olly
Olly rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Manifest Stefany
Manifest Stefany rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Ross Bennett
Ross Bennett rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Vince Hale
Vince Hale rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, ...more
More about Peter Kreeft...