Start by marking “Dream More” as Want to Read:
Dream More

Dream More

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  121 reviews
The enhanced eBook edition of Dream More includes rarely seen photographs placed throughout the text from Dolly Parton’s archives as well as audio and video of two of her songs, Celebrate the Dreamer in You and Try, which she performed live at the University of Tennessee commencement. The result is a delight for both the eyes and the ears.

Based on the hugely popular commen
ebook, Deluxe Edition, 103 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by Penguin (first published November 1st 2012)

jess
I love Dolly Parton. Her other book, Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business is a better memoir, but this is quite charming. It is basically anecdotes from her life, which are used to illustrated her pillars of success: Dream More, Learn More, Care More, Be More. If you're going to take any celebrity's life advice, it should probably be Dolly Parton. She is basically a genius, and a really good person & role model to boot.

Also, she is funny and sparkly, and she just cares so goddamn muc
Mom
Beautifully written by a truly beautiful person! I love Dolly!! She is SO awesome!!
Kelly Hager
This book is a longer version of a commencement speech she gave and so obviously it's very inspiring.

I'll be honest, I don't like country music very much...but I do love Dolly Parton. I have some songs of hers on my iPod and I think she seems like literally one of the nicest, sweetest people ever.

I have reviews and blog posts scheduled in advance and honestly, I wasn't going to read this book until early next year. But I'm writing this on Friday, December 14 and I couldn't focus on the book I wa
Phyllis
I feel like it's a little stupid to start this review by saying I LOVE DOLLY PARTON, because does anyone hate her? Loving Dolly Parton is as natural as the tides. Anyway, love her, but Lord almighty this book is a weird flaming hot mess. It's full of affirmations for dreaming, learning, living, and just generally being a good person and making the world a better place, but it's also a memoir focusing on her incredible work helping children with literacy skills. AND THEN IT GETS WEIRD. After the ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I didn't exactly plan to listen to this, but it was in a review box and it was short. I was expecting to scoff at it, but can you really dislike Dolly Parton? The thing is, despite her self-proclaimed cartoonish presence, the woman has built an empire out of nothing. She works hard, she gets people, and that's pretty commendable even if you aren't a country music fan.

I think the best bits were about how to block draining people from your life, and why you shouldn't apologize for having lofty go
Rachael Quinn
I don't really know what to say about this book except that it was short and sweet and authentic. If you are looking for something that is going to feel like Dolly Parton is talking right to you, well this is it. I'm not sure how to categorize it. It comes off as a self-help memoir, I suppose.

Dolly used the four principles that guide the Dollywood Foundation and Imagination Library to compose a commencement speech for the graduating class at the University of Tennessee. The speech was very popu
Naima Haviland
Dolly Parton's book encouraging readers to actualize their dreams is a slim volume but it says all that probably needs to be said. The book reads with Dolly's gentle plainspun style and emphasizes the power of faith and self-discipline. I have always loved Dolly's singing voice and admired her individuality. I read the book with increased respect for her entrepreneurial vision and her generosity toward the region that nurtured her youth. I started reading Dream More in a bit of a funk and finish ...more
Jess
I love Dolly because of her wonderful attitude and her extremely generous nature (the Imagination Library is such an inspiring program!). This book is short & sweet & based on a commencement speech she gave to a graduating class at the University of Tennessee. Is it a cheesy read? Yes it most certainly is, but I ate it up. Sometimes I just need a little cheese in my life.
Sharlene
The more I learn about Dolly Parton the more I love and respect her. This is a delightful book that got its start following her commencement address at University of Tennessee. This is a quick read and is likely to have you reflecting on your own life and how you live it. I've already identified a couple of friends that would love the messages in this book.
Pam
Cute, fast read. Good life philosophy. Dolly donates time and money to several wonderful humanitarian charities. She narrates the audio and although I typically HATE "read by the author" audiobooks, this is a huge exception. She was a WONDERFUL NARRATOR. Especially when she throws a song or two in! Very entertaining.
Kath
I've long admired Dolly Parton, her absolute genius as an entertainer and creative artist. And now I admire her as an author. What an inspiring book. This is a book I will keep by me, to read over and over to refresh the powerful positive philosophy of this remarkable woman.
Pat Brannon
I've known who Dolly Parton is since I was a young girl. I used to sing Dolly's songs on stage. The songs she wrote and sung were always special because they came from her heart. Many of her lyrics were based on her Smoky Mountain upbringing and her desire for a better life. I can relate to much of Dolly's life, but we were never poor like her family. Still we always tried to do our best at everything and be caring people in the process. Being so familiar with Dolly through the years, I already ...more
Celticoracle
Apr 18, 2014 Celticoracle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dolly Parton fans
I have been a huge Dolly Parton fan since childhood, and listening to this audiobook made me love her even more. Well, except for the bit that amounted to "just get over it and be happy," which didn't sit well with me after my bout with PPD. If I had listened to this a year ago, I would have quit listening right then. It also knocked this review back from the five stars it probably otherwise would have been

Other than that, I loved hearing Dolly's stories, and especially about her Imagination Lib
L
A friend recommended this awhile ago and I'm not a fan really of Dolly so I didn't pay any attention until I saw it at my library this week randomly. It's a small quick synopsis of items she mentioned in a college graduation speech. The first few chapters surprised me greatly & had statements I really admired. But towards the middle to end I was so grateful I hadn't paid money for this book. I learned things I didn't know about her and found I have a better respect for her than my prior assu ...more
Antonvt
I was stuck in traffic for more than an hour and a half, but for once I didn't mind. I listened to Dolly Parton's Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You.

I don't know whether it is possible to dislike this unbelievably talented woman, but listening to her talking about her philosophy on life was unbelievably inspiring. Her common sense about dreaming, and working towards to make a dream is not only practical, she is the quintessential example that it works.

It is clear that she knows that she i
Elijah Jacobson
I knew I was going to love this one before I even started it! To say that I admire Dolly Parton is an extreme understatement.

She is just an incredibly honest person that glows with positive energy. And this glow is very much reflected in her book. Admittedly, this is an easy read, and one of those books you can pick up and put down and pick up over the course of months.

That said, I think everyone can get something insightful out of this book that will make them a better human being. Her guidan
Dream More is a positive little book with a great message. Dolly Parton is world famous for her singing, song writing, and movie career, and also for her image and body. As she states in the book, people sometimes focus on the outer aspects of Dolly Parton, and ignore her other positive inner aspects. For example, she is a very successful business woman and part owner of Dollywood. She has also started a very successful Literacy Program to help bring reading to all children. I was impressed by h ...more
Erin Cataldi
Prior to reading this little inspirational memoir by Dolly, all I really knew about her was her botoxed body and the quote, "It takes a lot of money to look this fake." This inspirational guide filled me in on a lot more on who the hell Dolly really is.

First off, I should clarify that I listened to the audiobook version which is narrated by Dolly herself. Second off, this isn't really an inspirational guide as it is a memoir of achievements, so it's really mainly for Dolly fans and not the avera
Cathi
Don't ask me why I love Dolly Parton. I'm not a country music fan, but I've always liked her. Yes, she's tacky and way over-the-top, but she's also genuine and just downright lovable. I read the review of this book in the newspaper a few months ago and decided to check it out from the library, just for kicks. I was not disappointed. It's a small book, not a biography but more of a feel-good, motivational book, with bits and pieces of Dolly's life interspersed with some good old downhome wisdom. ...more
Elaine
This was a very short, quick to read book but I really enjoyed reading it. I felt like I could hear Dolly's voice saying everything. She is such a bubbly, honest, down-to-Earth person. She has done so may wonderful things, a few of which are mentioned in this book. But they aren't mentioned because she's bragging. Far from it. She is a very humble person. Very good book.
Beverly McCall
Needing something to read as part of my journey home, I picked up this book in Dallas Forth Worth Airport bookstore, Dolly Parton is and probably will always be a fascination for me. She lives life BIG. Something I admire. This book stems from a commencement address given at the University of Tennessee. Basically, it captures a part of her philosophy of life that has been responsible for her success and growth as a person. The premise of the book centers of four principles Parton refers to as gr ...more
Kat Cowley
I read this book in 2 1/2 hours. It is such a wonderful, uplifting read and who doesn't love Dolly's genuine & tangy take on life? If you are missing your grandma and wish you could sit with her on the porch and chat, grab this book and you'll get your fix :)
Brandi
This book was given to me by a friend and it made for good, short reading. I live in Tennessee, so I have been a fan of Dolly my whole life. She's a great person who believes in just being who you are. She has a deep faith, which I admire greatly. Neat little book.
Lisa
Dolly is one of my favorites! Her book is a very nice read with positive and funny anecdotes. Definitely a "feel good" book. One of many funny quotes: "Home is where I hang my hair"! Gotta love her.
Joyce
After Dolly gives the commencement speech at the University of Tennessee she decides to I write a book and explain in more detail her concepts for life. Dream more, Learn more, Care more and Be more.
Cynthia Fry
Great advise and some personal reflection from a well respected woman in the entertainment industry who has earned her life. Trying to learn to trust my intuition and rediscover my dreams, hearing her speak reminds me of what I need to start.
Dhanya
Nice one. This book teaches us to never stop dreaming. I loved the last 2 pages, which had excerpts from her interviews. This lady is loaded with sense of humor.
Zadrarose
Dolly is really down to Earth and very heartfelt in this book. There are some gems in this fast, easy to read talk from Dolly.
Shellie Palmer
Honest to the core and so much more. Dolly Parton holds true to who she is, her honest approach on life and love are true inspirations for the every day person who strives better in their own lives. We all make mistakes, give or take and learn. Dolly reminds us to be creative and dream more.
What you see, what you read is all that you get from Dolly Parton.
Lauren Hollis
Everyone should read this book at least once. Growing up in East Tennessee, we knew Dolly for the philanthropic person she was, not just for the country star. She saw the need in each situation and her purpose was to fill it. There are too many quotes to count in this book. She is the real deal and has a purer heart than any. Crazy to imagine, isn't it? READ THIS!
  • Luck or Something Like It
  • Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond
  • Nilsson: The Life of a Singer-Songwriter
  • The Facts of Life and Other Dirty Jokes
  • Secrets of a Former Fat Girl: How to Lose Two, Four (or More!) Dress Sizes--And Find Yourself Along the Way
  • Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll
  • Betty and Friends: My Life at the Zoo
  • Mozart
  • Love is the Cure: On Life, Loss, and the End of AIDS
  • Comfort from a Country Quilt
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics
  • Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful
  • How to Say No Without Feeling Guilty: And Say Yes to More Time, More Joy, and What Matters Most to You
  • The Banquet Years: The Origins of the Avant-Garde in France, 1885 to World War I
  • Be Free Where You Are
  • The Art Of Men (I Prefer Mine Al Dente)
  • The Richard Burton Diaries
Dolly Rebecca Parton is a Grammy Award-winning country music singer/songwriter, author, actress and philanthropist. To date, she remains one of the most successful country artists, with 25 number-one singles (a record for a female performer) and 42 top-10 country albums (more than anyone else).

She is known for her distinctive mountain soprano, sometimes bawdy humor, flamboyant dress sense, and her
More about Dolly Parton...
Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business Coat of Many Colors I Am a Rainbow Dolly's Dixie Fixin's 9 to 5: The Musical