Start by marking “Should You Be Laughing at This?” as Want to Read:
Should You Be Laughing at This?

Should You Be Laughing at This?

Hugleikur Gagsson's Should You Be Laughing at This? has achieved revered cult status and taken the Icelandic publishing world by storm. Of course, Iceland is a country whose national drink is called "Black Death," national dish is putrefied shark meat, and national literacy rate is 99.9%. That may give you a small idea of the dark but brilliant mind behind the shamefully a ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Harper (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Should You Be Laughing at This?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Should You Be Laughing at This?

Anthony Chavez
Apr 29, 2012 Anthony Chavez rated it it was ok
It's good for a few chuckles but not much else. And definitely not for the faint of heart or people who can't take sometimes twisted humor. I was expecting lots of humorous descriptions, but I only found a laugh every 10 or so pages. It did not take that long to get through, I would pick it up every few days, like a cartoon calendar, and flip through a few comics. I found about half of the pages funny but, and maybe this is because I'm not from Iceland, I didn't understand why some of these ...more
Caroline
Dec 30, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with a very twisted sense of humor!
Hilarious with a side of feeling like a bad person for thinking it's as funny as it is. A perfectly disgusting and gut-busting collection of simple black and white comics.
Lukáš Palán
Feb 02, 2016 Lukáš Palán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: icelandic
Tuhle knížku mi dal do ruky kolega Pečivo, když jsem šel u něho v Německu zašvihat porcelán a říkal „vono to je docela trapný, jeden džouk a nic víc“. Jenže já mám daleko lepší smysl pro humor než on, takže jsem se zasmál asi třináctkrát, což mi dost pomohlo při kadění, protože vždycky jak jsem se zasmál tak ze mě vylétlo hovínko. Nakonec toho bylo tak moc, že jsem musel splachovat dvakrát a otevřít okno. Splachování na dvakrát je celkově dost otrava. Někdo by měl místo iPhonů raději vymyslet ...more
Leanza
Jan 11, 2015 Leanza rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was just some random little book that I read through in a few minutes at a library cafe, but I think it will stick with me for a long time.

It's a book made of disgusting, absurd, disturbing, and just plain sick comics and doodles (some reminded me of doodles that I used to draw on the back of my notebooks haha). Only a few really actually made me laugh, but I did enjoy reading it for the most part. Some of them I found pretty sad and even thought-provoking, but maybe I'm just thinking about
Colleen Venable
Apr 10, 2008 Colleen Venable rated it it was ok
There are about six comics I can think of right off the top of my head that are interchangeable in both art style and humor to the comics in this book*. I would say one out of every four comics were amusing here, but the other three of four felt forced and too determined to be shocking. Never actually was shocked (takes a lot to phase me), but it did bore the heck out of me at points. If it wasn't bright red and staring at me every time I went to the bathroom I don't think I would have read it ...more
Hildur
This book is very, very silly.
But silly in a good way, as long as your humour isn't too sophisticated or you tend to get easily offended.

Don't be expecting any sharp wit. I fully admit that this book is solely pee pee and poo poo jokes mixed with some cruel and dark humour.
I personally like it. I love cruel jokes.

Most of the jokes in this book really work and some of them have sunk deep enough into my head for me to quote them every now and then in every day life. 8/10.
Valerie
Dec 20, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Hilarious but really "wrong". Great coffee table book. You can't help but laugh even though you really shouldn't!
Zuzka Jakubkova
Dec 04, 2016 Zuzka Jakubkova rated it it was amazing
Dagsson's work is always a delight. This compilation of comic strips covers his publication work from three other books published in Iceland. Some of the references seem to be too "scandinavian" for me to get, but 95% works very well still.
Charlotte Wilson
Nov 20, 2016 Charlotte Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry but not my cup of tea at all!
Loveliest Evaris
May 12, 2012 Loveliest Evaris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one.. well, maybe Icelandics.. they're probably know why this is considered funny
2.5/5 stars

Wow. What to say about this book?

First off.. I didn't know Iceland was this messed up. Seriously. If you're that disturbed move to Norway, they have plenty of great health care and opportunities to take a break from work and get your head together.

This book is a hit-or-miss 'joke book'; either you find the completely absurd and out-of-left field 'humor' hilarious and pure genius or (like me) you just sit there looking at the badly drawn stick figures repeating aloud, "What..the f*ck?
Iara Picolo
Sep 26, 2016 Iara Picolo rated it really liked it
Como você pode rir de uma coisa dessas?
E eu ri. Muito.
Felonious
Jan 30, 2014 Felonious rated it it was ok
After reading that this book has reached cult status and that the writer is Icelandic, (where the national drink is called black death, the national dish is putrefied shark, the national literacy rate is 99.9% and the author graduated from an art academy), I was expecting this book to be filled with wickedly dark, intelligent, and well drawn cartoons.

What I got was a book with 172 pages, each page contained one “stick figure” cartoon (so much for graduating from an art academy). The humor was
Mika Harjula
Nov 02, 2015 Mika Harjula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
No! You shouldn't be laughing at this! What's wrong with you anyway Mr. Dagsson? It's silly and very immature, but if some random electrician finds this funny in the preface, it must be!

Bloody outraged this is and shouldn't be read in a public place. This is so political incorrect a book can ever get. To be honest, it's nasty and horrible, but not any other book have ever made me laugh as much as this (tears involved...manly tears). [Read in Swedish.]

Verdict: Buy it, read it, re-read it, lend i
Pečivo
May 05, 2016 Pečivo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: svíčková, komisk
Překvapivě nudný - Dagsson umí bejt velmi vtipnej, ale daří se mu to asi každou 50. stránku, což je na knihu o 180 stranách nuzný skore. Pro ilustraci, jak moc nekonzistentí kvalita je:

Jedna strana - děda říká vnukovi: "pojď blíž synku, chci ti nachcat do pusy."
Druhá strana - v pentagramu stojí dredatá osoba s kytarou a dva lidi v hávech: "počkat! ty nejsi satan, ty si Lenny Kravitz."

Pak padesát stran nic a zase:

Jedna strana - děda s babičkou sedí u kamen. Babička: "smrdí tady čůrák". Děda: "prd
Dorre
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It probably took me 15 minutes to get through. I found about half of the pages funny but, and maybe this is because I'm not from Iceland, I didn't understand why some of these things would be considered funny. An example...four kids are jumping with their hands in the air. The caption reads "four more years." Huh? Another example...a boy staring at the ground, caption: "I wet myself." I guess I just don't get it.
Nikki
May 08, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Twisted stuff! Definitely not for prudes or anyone with overly-sensitive eyes. These demented stick figures run the gamut of every conceivable human horror - incest, racism, cannibalism, matricide/patricide/infanticide, poop, Hitler, ballerina-on-ballerina violence... - and make it funny. Or, at least I think so. I guess you have to ask yourself, "Should You Be Laughing at This?"
Greg
Aug 10, 2011 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite genius in the MOST inappropriate way possible. His stick-figure drawings of children killing their parents, or dildos appearing in the most inappropriate of situations are hilarious, though not ALL of them go far beyond the sheer shock value. Go to amazon and "look inside" - you have to see it to believe it.
Oliver Lines
Nov 25, 2014 Oliver Lines rated it really liked it
Definitely one for those with a more twisted sense of humour. Whilst most drawings are fun and largely inoffensive, some hit on subjects that aren't necessary and just aren't funny. I also think some are lost in translation a bit. That being said, I enjoyed a good three quarters of this book and would recommend to those who can handle darker humour
Alida
Dec 27, 2007 Alida rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
it looked provocative and daring but after i reached the midway point, i realized that about 10% of the "cartoons" are actually funny. the rest are just mean and at the level of a drunk who thinks he's funny.
Nikki
Mar 18, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Definitely funny, but crude. A friend got this for me as a gag gift when we were in high school (crude humor, obviously). This isn't hilarious jokes you'll remember forever; it's crude and vulgar, in a way that makes you chuckle. Enjoyable, but not the best.
Danica
May 24, 2009 Danica rated it it was ok
cool idea, but the execution skews more towards tasteless -- hardly any inkling of funny at all. if this was about ten times better i would've been raring to buy a copy and hand-deliver to analuz, my partner in dead baby jokes.
Chris
Mar 01, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yara
Fairly funny, but this book just blows by too quickly. To be fair, this is because I couldn't stop looking at the next page, but also because each page takes about ten seconds to digest. The comics are largely offensive and disgusting, but funny nonetheless.
Anetq
Jan 03, 2016 Anetq rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Just not funny enough. The dark humour works when there's a bit of context so there is a "story" in the drawing. Otherwise it is just family members laughing that other family members are dead, dying or earing poo. Punchlines would have been great!
Jane
Jan 03, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Comics for people that don't get offended easily. Some I didn't get it as they seemed related to Iceland specifically and some were definitely over the top, but I thought altogether it was amusingly absurd.
Mintti
Jan 21, 2016 Mintti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Nearly peed in my pants reading this - and my throat was hurting too =D probably not for everyone to read, but if you have a sick, wicked and twisted sense of humour, then you have to!!!
Jenny U
Aug 11, 2011 Jenny U rated it really liked it
I feel like a bad person for reading this, but I can't help laughing at the author's sick, twisted humor. Don't buy it though, just read it in the store. It's a quick read.
Maureen
Jan 18, 2012 Maureen rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
This book isn't funny, it's just really, really stupid. So no, you shouldn't be laughing at this, unless you're a pre-teen boy.
Sarah Burke
Jan 25, 2008 Sarah Burke rated it liked it
Recommends it for: You've got to have a really dark sense of humor
Some of this is wet your pants funny. Some is heavy handed. I wouldn't let my kid read it but I enjoyed it.
Will
Feb 23, 2012 Will rated it liked it
Fun little Icelandic coffee table book full of things that you don't want people to see you laugh at. You can find it on my coffee table :)
Crystal
May 24, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes my sense of humor :)
Recommended to Crystal by: I found it randomly in B&N!
This book is full of ridiculous stick figure drawings that make me laugh hysterically...I think you need a certain sense of humor to find it funny though...possibly a sick one :)
  • Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir
  • Return of the Bunny Suicides
  • Jetlag
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Welcome to the Dahl House: Alienation, Incarceration, and Inebriation in the New American Rome
  • Pinocchio
  • Yossel, April 19, 1943
  • Goodnight Bush
  • Che's Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image
  • Fluffy
Full name Þórarinn Hugleikur Dagsson, Hugleikur is an Icelandic cartoonist famed for his eyebrow-raising humour. His most famous publications are the 'Us' series, consisting of Elskið okkur, Drepið okkur, Ríðið okkur, Forðist okkur, Bjargið okkur, Fylgið okkur, Fermið okkur, Kaupið okkur (Love Us, Kill Us, Fuck Us, Avoid Us, Save Us, Follow Us, Close Us and Buy Us) and the compilation 1001 okkur. ...more
More about Hugleikur Dagsson...