Start by marking “Every Living Thing” as Want to Read:
Every Living Thing

Every Living Thing (All Creatures Great and Small #8)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,737 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews
James Herriot's final work and last in his beloved series of animal stories

This fifth and final of James Herriot's heartwarming story collections brings back familiar friends (including old favorites such as Tricki Woo) and introduces new ones, including Herriot's children Rosie and Jimmy and the marvelously eccentric vet Calum Buchanan.

As James grows older, he finds that
Published November 15th 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Every Living Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Living Thing

Jason Koivu
Feb 05, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a joy to discover I had one more unread book to read by legendary vet and author James Herriot! I thought I'd read this one back when I was downing these books like they were water, but I guess I missed it. Many of the stories are familiar, but I realized that's probably because they were used in the tv series, all the episodes of which I've seen a couple times over.

Every Living Thing has all the wonderful goodness of the first four books in the series. Plenty of veterinarian triumphs and f
The Book
Jun 27, 2013 The Book rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
No matter how many times I read James Herriot's excellent books, I never get tired of them. After at least ten readings, each one still has the power to make me laugh and cry, and they're all the better for the familiarity I now have with his stories. I'm pretty sure that when I'm old and grey and full of sleep, I'll be reading these books and chuckling about the time Tristan created a kitchen explosion while trying to light the fire, and crying for each of the old dogs that never got better and ...more
Brittany
May 11, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very fitting last book to James Herriot's collection. In it, he and Helen move several times, and he details each move and house and what it represents to him. He also details the characters, arrivals, acclimatisations, and departures or two memorable veterinary assistants, both of which make for very compelling reading, though the "vet wi' the badger" is my favorite.

The book culminates with a very small, personal, tender story of Herriot and his own cats. This is one of the very best
Feb 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all James Herriot books and this was no different. It's like eating comfort food, but not fattening.
Donna
May 31, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
When this first started, I thought, "Oh no. Tell me this isn't like this the whole way through." To my most utmost surprise, IT WAS! But it was okay, James Herriot grew on me and I liked his journey. I also enjoyed his humor.

But I do wish 2 things. One is that I wanted more detail about the people. The detail that was furnished all came about from interactions with animals. While that was sweet, I still wanted more. The second thing is all the tedious detail about how he treated the different ai
Rebecca
Mar 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here this wonderful narrator has become a "quaint old fossil." Instead of the freshfaced and inexperienced newcomer in the first books, now he has the experience of training new vets, raising his own family, and gradually settling into comfortable curmudgeonliness. I still want to give him a huge hug and sit with him by the fire and sip tea, even if this book has lost a touch of the narrative focus of the earlier ones.
Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to buy a second copy of this book when I rashly lent the first copy to my mum. Should have known she'd never give it up! I wrote to James Herriot to tell him how much I enjoy his books. He wrote back with a charming letter, saying that although he was no longer in the best of health, hearing from people who love animals and the countryside meant so much to him. He died 2 weeks later. : (
Tessa
Jun 12, 2015 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
Every Living Thing by James Herriot is a very inspirational book. James Herriot takes us through his journey of being a primarily large animal vet, and some small animal practice as well. He goes through so many cases that are all different and unique to each other and he tells the readers about his struggles and his successes along the way. It takes place in the farming country of the Yorkshire Dales, so the way the locals speak sometimes can be difficult to understand, and James Herriot strugg ...more
Apr 05, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, spring-time
I don't know how many times I have told people how wonderful the first book in this series is, "All Creatures Great and Small". Many times. They always give me a look like they are humoring me. I get it a little bit. It took me a while to pick these up. I'm not much of an animal lover, I don't dislike animals I'm just a bit ambivalent. However, movies and books about animals... usually bore me to death or are extremely silly (movies with talking animals? No, thank you!) However, I can honestly s ...more
Cameron Amaya
Review of Every Living Thing by James Herriot

James Herriot is an extraordinary author, with a way to flow emotions onto the page. his books are colorful and filled with joy, but none quite like Every Living thing. This book is the story of a long life of veterinary practice out in the country, and the main character and veterinary is none other than the author, James Herriot.

James Herriot is a country vet out in the Yorkshire Dales of Great Britain. This book is a collection of tales of veterina
Christyn
Oct 13, 2014 Christyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Living Thing was a wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite series. Just as emotionally touching as his previous books it brings up wonderful imagery and feelings, like meeting an old friend. In this book, more than ever we get the feeling that Jim has really grown up from when we first met him - with his family, moving homes, he and Siegfried taking on new apprentices, becoming a bit of an old relic. But it is still as delightful as ever, from the touching and sad to the light hearted ...more
Julie
Nov 17, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers, biog
And so the end of these delightful "Herriot books" as I call them. I've loved them all, any animal lover would. Here we see James and Helen continuing on in Darrowby, but now they've moved out of Skelldale House and have moved into a more modern place and then eventually to their little slice of heaven further away in a small village with a good bit of land. I loved the stories of the wild cats they befriend, not to mention the various villagers and farmers he meets. The assistant vets they hire ...more
Denise
Mar 28, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are fun and quick. I didn’t think the book was going to be very interesting at first, but I quickly got into it. The accent was a little hard to get used to; sometimes I had to read the same lines over and over. James is kind and thoughtful. It would be so much fun to be an assistant to him. I just kept thinking: does anyone like this anymore? The description of the scenery made me want to visit. It’s a cute collection of stories.

Lines that I loved:
When an animals lonely, there’s no
Maeve
Mar 24, 2015 Maeve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and all the others a while ago. Rereading it was really fun. I nearly cried several times, as each story in the book tells about the different personalities of humans and their pets.
Chris Allen
May 30, 2011 Chris Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as some of the earlier gems in the series, but a fitting end. As usual, scattered with anecdotes and amusing tales of Herriot's life as a Yorkshire vet in post-war England, including a new house or two and the arrival and departure of Calum as an assistant (vet wi' t'badger, as the dales farmers would call him)...

Eminently readable, and never tiring, this is the longest of the 8 books. It's worth every penny, and is only weakened to 4 stars by the comparison with the others in the se
Jdblair
Mar 07, 2016 Jdblair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third James Herriot book I've read. I saw this on the shelf of our church thrift shop and it was brand new! I bought it for $1. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found it very easy to read. The book is a series of 52 chapters, all describing various incidents, patients, and people Herriot came in contact with.
It is perfect for people who cannot read for long periods of time since it is broken down into 52 short chapters. Although we do not have pets or farm animals, Herriot's writing
Joan
Aug 30, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, James Herriot and his tales of being an English country veterinary doctor. They make me want to move to a farm in England. I'm going to be sorry when I've read all his books because he is not around to write more. Think his daughter wrote a nice biography of his life. That will be my next read after James Herriot's books.
Tanya W
Nov 01, 2011 Tanya W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
Another great book... what can I say, I love James Herriot. Few authors have such a talent for telling stories that make me usually laugh, sometimes cringe, and sometimes get a tear in my eye. These are the kind of books that could be re-read and enjoyed (and I'm not the type to very often read a book a second time).
Linore
Apr 19, 2015 Linore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book years ago, with little hope that it could possibly be as delightful and interesting as the author's other books, but I'm happy to say, that fear was ungrounded. Now having read it a second time, I am so enarmored with it that I had to leave a review.
It doesn't quite send one into paroxysms of laughter llike Herriot's book, ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL, but there are genuinely good chuckles and even a few moments of deeper laughs. It has the warmth and love for life, peopl
Calista
Oct 19, 2015 Calista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a lifelong Herriot fan, I'm astounded that I never knew this book existed before now! I loved every minute of it, and need to buy it to go with the rest of the collection!
Jessica
Jan 09, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theclassics, own
A wonderful end to Herriot's charming books. Both laughter and tears, and also a few tears over the fact that this is the end.
Shiloah
Absolutely delightful! I love James Herriot's books.
Jessica
Oct 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope I never tire of his books.
Jerianna
Jun 03, 2014 Jerianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author.
Robyn
Jul 17, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book back in high school (late 1990s), when my mom gave it to me as maybe a Valentines gift. But other stuff came up & this book got pushed back on the shelf, with an old bookmark at the beginning of Chapter 28 (where Herriot fixes the TV for a client). Since I only remembered 3 chapters I read back in the late 1990s (cat wasting away because of a hairball, a breeched birth of a calf, & the "Herriot's Duct" found during cat spaying), I started over from the beginning. This ...more
Kate
"Every Living Thing is James Herriot's first new book of memoirs in over a decade, and from its opening pages our every expectation is fulfilled: We return in a twinkle to the green Yorkshire dales, to old friends and family, to that miraculous world of wonders great and small.

"It is a book aglow with the qualities that have made Herriot's other volumes such rare treasures: warmth, humor, drama, color, humanity. His tales of life as a country vet are rendered with skill, grace, and savor; they a
Valerie
One of the reviews of this volume says that Herriot published 8 books. I'm a bit puzzled by the count. I know, for example, that there was a separate publication of Only One Woof, and I think another story (perhaps Judy the Nurse Dog?) was also published seperately. And of course, there's James Herriot's Yorkshire. I suppose that does make 8--but I'm not sure of the other single story.

Where The Lord God Made Them All several times overtly quotes a journal (reinforcing my belief that Herriot rout
Melissa
Jun 09, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
If you're an animal lover you have probably heard of James Herriot. But on the off chance you haven't, he's a veterinarian that practiced in England in the mid nineteen-hundreds. And he was an animal lover himself, in addition to being a writer.

Every Living Thing is part of a series that chronicles Herriot's experiences as a vet. But it is not the type of series that you have to read in order. This book is a collection of short stories from Herriot's practice and can range from stories about hor
Alexis
Jun 27, 2011 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Living Thing gives us a glimpse into the modernizing of the veterinary profession from the perspective of someone who has been practicing since the late 1930's. It is an interesting look at history as the author compares the way things were done when he first began to how things are done in the 1950's, which is the time period that he focuses on in this book.

In addition to the historical education that is provided, we gain further insight into Herriot's caring and sensitive nature when car
Enikő
Feb 03, 2011 Enikő rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! :o) James Herriot is such a good writer. In an early chapter of the book, he manages to summarise his relationship with one of his assistants so well that at the end of the chapter I felt so nostalgic and was sad that the fellow had left the practice. Herriot does the same thing with another assistant, but describes their relationship throughout the book, leaving me with the same feeling of sadness that this person is no longer there.
I was also pleased to come acro
  • Living Free (Story of Elsa, #2)
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • Encounters With Animals
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • A Cat Abroad
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Enslaved by Ducks
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • The Dogs of Bedlam Farm: An Adventure with Sixteen Sheep, Three Dogs, Two Donkeys, and Me
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • The Heart of a Dog
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • 100 Heartbeats: A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk