Start by marking “Hush, Little Baby” as Want to Read:
Hush, Little Baby

Hush, Little Baby

Mama has errands to run, so it is up to Papa and big brother to stop baby sister from crying. And, as families familiar with this popular American lullaby know, they will try just about anything to convince baby to smile again.

Award-winning artist Brian Pinkney's version of the classic song is an exuberant and affectionate tribute to a father's unconditional love.
Published December 27th 2005 by Amistad Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hush, Little Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush, Little Baby

Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Seals on the Bus by Lenny HortI Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen BeaumontPete the Cat by Eric LitwinPete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin
Picture Books You Can Sing
23rd out of 37 books — 14 voters
Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong HoGuji Guji by Chih-Yuan ChenOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaWhere the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace LinToo Many Tamales by Gary Soto
Chromatic Children's Literature
125th out of 153 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha Westall
Sep 29, 2016 Samantha Westall rated it liked it
The classic nursery rhyme with illustration in traditional Brian Pinkney style.
David
Aug 06, 2011 David rated it liked it
Hush, Little Baby by Brian Pinkney illustrates the popular American lullaby, with Papa and big brother trying to keep baby sister from crying.

The simple text features just a few words, in a very large font, on each page. After the story the music and full lyrics, with a few changes, are included. The back cover includes the music to the lullaby to be played "with a Caribbean feel."

The illustrations are rendered in colored ink on clay board. The jaunty illustrations feature a dog, the mockingbir
Esmoi
Jan 13, 2010 Esmoi rated it liked it
This is a cheerfully illustrated version of the classic lullaby, with a few changes to the song. I thought it was charming, but my four year old wasn't terribly thrilled... though, funnily, his main complaint was "Why would anybody make up a horrible song about a bunch of presents breaking?!" (complete with quavering lip).
Jess Brown
Gotta love Brian Pinkney. The classic lullaby "Hush, Little Baby" is set to gorgeous colored ink on clay board illustrations. There are just enough words on a page to keep things paced well. The back page includes words and music to the lullaby to be played "with a Caribbean feel." Good stuff!
MissInformation
Nov 20, 2008 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Simple text with bright illus. Fun twist is that Papa is giving the baby everything- including a fire truck, so mama steps in at end and says hush- don't you cry, mama's gonna sing you a lullabye. Great for Story Time.
Kati
Jul 25, 2016 Kati rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-daughters
We love this one. Watching the dad tried to keep the baby happy cracks me up, and my daughter thinks it's hilarious too.
Lisa Castellano
Lisa Castellano rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Andi
Andi rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2011
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Jane
A catchy adaptation of the song Hush, Little Baby.
Rebekah Judd
Rebekah Judd rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Sausalito Story Time Books
Sausalito Story Time Books rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Aaliyah
Aaliyah rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Keva
Keva rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Sarah Livingston
Sarah Livingston rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2011
LaLa
LaLa rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Gale
Gale rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Danielle Miskin
Illustrates the lullaby "hush, little baby". Wonderful illustrations!!! Watercolor.
Lauren
May 07, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
I loved the book's new twist to a baby lullaby that my mother use to sing to me.
Jasmine Olivia
Jasmine Olivia rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Boston, Massachusetts, (Jerry) Brian Pinkney was raised in an artistic household. "My two brothers and sister and I played musical instruments, and we were always drawing, painting, or building things," the illustrator once recalled of his childhood. While his mother, children's book author Gloria Jean Pinkney, would inspire all her children with a love of reading, it would be his father, ...more
More about Brian Pinkney...