Start by marking “A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition” as Want to Read:
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A reflection on the collaboration and knowledge of working project managers that provides the fundamentals of project management as they apply to a wide range of projects. This internationally recognized standard provides the essential tools to practice project management and deliver organizational results.
Published January 1st 2013 by Project Management Institute

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition

Scott Fabel
If you are a project manager or if your work involves project management tasks, this is the book for you. The Project Management Institute (PMI) has recently released its fifth edition of its ever-popular "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge" or PMBOK Guide. While I recognize that not every project manager loves this book or uses it to its fullest, I still believe that the knowledge and skills provided in this book will make anyone a better project manager. I've been studying, us ...more
Michael Foley
Now that I have my PMP certificate, I'll never open this book again.
Robert Dunlap
It is hard to "like" this book; this is not a pleasure read, nor does it provide details on exactly what to do when or how to do it. I also believe that in some companies and situations, the idea of controlling risk and cost is ridiculous.

Also, one can argue that the comprehensive attempt is not as effective as the highest risk attempt, reflecting some differences between the American and European ideas of project management and their leading associations.

Be aware that the knowledge areas are w
I understand that PMP and CAPM certifications are dry, but there has got to be a better way to study for them than this too-long-to-be-a-guide and too-short-to-be-a-textbook hybrid.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Google Plus
One of the most poorly written books I've read. Decent information, but very disjointed in presentation
I just read the book and studied it heavily to pass the CAPM exam.

This book has a lot of really good foundational information for project management. The cost management, risk management and procurement management sections are probably the most technical and require a lot of attention to get all of the concepts. Taking a class in addition to this book is probably the best way to really get a handle on some of this stuff.

The book is well structured and if you read it from end-to-end, you start t
It's the PMI Bible, so there's really no way you can get away around that. Why did I only give it four stars? Well, I would have rather given it three stars, but just to be fair I gave it four. Simply put, there are tons of other books that are all translators of this one book. We all know it could be more engaging.
Nov 01, 2014 Alicia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A great reference and resource for project management and yes, a must have, but certainly not a page turner.
It's just as much a cure for insomnia as the title would suggest.

All things considered, it's not badly written for a "standard". It is the bible of project management and the only nationally recognized guide by the Project Management Institute. I would imagine only those people interested in gaining the PMP certification would ever want to read this document.
Ricardo Viana Vargas
If you need to choose only one book to understand Project Management, this book would be the PMBOK. Despite of not being a book to be "read" due to this format as an standard, it is a sharp reference that must be in the shelves of any successful project manager.

Se você tiver que escolher apenas um livro para entender gerenciamento de projetos, esse livro seria o PMBOK. Apesar de não ser um livro para ser "lido" por causa de sua formatação como um standard, é uma referencia clara que precisa est
May 30, 2015 Mojgan added it
This was a hard book to read! I read this along with course notes from a PMP Prep course I had taken and the course notes really helped me get through the book!

If you are trying to read only this book for you PMP exam and nothing else (no course material, etc.), give yourself ample time to read and understand it. I would say you probably need 2 weeks-full time! This means, not working, staying home and reading the book. When studying, I suggest making summary notes for yourself....and budget som
Ahmed Hashim
Too much details
Jordi Gil
2/5 Stars

I found it lacking in content as it does not contain all the information needed to pass the PMP test, but I found some useful information and most of the time it just goes straight to the point. If you are thinking on taking the PMP test, I suggest to read as well the Rita's PMP Exam Prep to get a broader insight of the PM practices and add up the missing information found here.

Khalid Alnaqbi
عملية قراءة هذا الكتاب أشبه بعملية انتزاع الروح..! لا أظن أني سأقرأ كتابًا أكثر جفاوة من هذا. ء

قرأته للحصول على الشهادة. ء

إذا أردت أن تقرأه فالزم قول: ((ربنا أفرغ علينا صبرا)). ء

أول يوم من أيام عيد الفطر :)
Marlon Sánchez Gálvez
Por fin terminé esta biblia!
Muy completo, sin embargo hay que leerlo más de una vez para comprenderlo y más de 2 veces para pasar el examen.
Susan Wertheim
Could be written in a more logical sequence. While the information is comprehensive, it seems a bit disjointed when just reading
Wael Elwardany
Professional reference for Project management
Omar Sadek
A Well known reference leads you to knowledge leap in several managerial subjects, collecting all subjects in a professional model to run a project

after studying PMBOK and be certified, you'll never need professional knowledge in Management in general less than an academic master degree
Karina Ocampo
Very dry. Could use a little "day to day scenarios" real business cases to connect the concepts to the practice in a better way. However, it is the PM Bible
For Certification
Lavendar Phan
It was boring and painful to read. Thank god for study guides and practice questions, which I will rely more on to help me get through my exam. I found very little of it actually applied to my real world project management work.
Fausto Betances
Pros: 100 coverage of the certification test.

Cons: No examples. Unnecessarily convoluted language. Confusing flow.

Bottom line: A must read before the PMP certification test. It is not an enjoyable read but it is not difficult to get through it.

Personal Note: I failed to see the point of extending concept explanations to the maxim length. Taking 4 lines to explain something easily described in one or two made the book slow.
Osman Assem
This book is so boring as its very much repetitve in inputs, tools and techniques and outputs. And the chapters is not well organized as it keep refere to advanced chapters always. Even the series of the chapters isn't logic due to you have to do all this issues at same time so they have to merge them in somehow. The case stuides are very poor. But still important book to be certified as pmp from pmi.
Kathy Nealen
I mostly skimmed this new edition as I took a course to maintain my certification. Each new edition is at least a slight improvement over the previous edition.
Artful Existence
Wow, what a great tool for Project (or Program) Managers, especially in the DoD. I highly recommend this book for reference and learning the job as a whole. As a new PM, this book has been exceptionally important in learning the different aspects of DoD Acquisitions. I also like how it has the Inputs and Outputs of each section, including Risk Management, etc.
Well written, informative methodology explanation which manages to avoid putting the reader to sleep! Highly recommended!

Second read taught me even more, and I will use this to study for my PMP!

(and yes, it really did take me months to read it, as it was a study, not just a read of the material)
Mohamed Ali
This Book is an essential Tool for PMP Exam, but I recommend to read Rita Book after that.
Joy Shinde
The book for attempting the PMP exam. Is a good read once you understand PMI's approach to project management.

Book writing style is quite dry and this puts a lot of people off. Need to persist until you understand the PMI PM philosophy.

Try it :-) :-p
Duane Leem
Helped me pass the PMP exam! I wouldn't recommend reading this book alone if you're going through the certification process.
  • Pmp Exam Prep: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the Pmp Exam
  • Project Management: A Systems Approach To Planning, Scheduling, And Controlling
  • Pmp: Project Management Professional: Study Guide
  • Head First PMP
  • Effective Project Management: Traditional, Agile, Extreme
  • The Business Analyst's Handbook
  • The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guides)
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases
  • Project Management Lite: Just Enough to Get the Job Done...Nothing More
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies