Start by marking “Whispers in the Night” as Want to Read:
Whispers in the Night

Whispers in the Night

The whispers in the night start when Fox Monroe is just six years old.

They wake him up in the dark, leaving him confused and a little scared. Is it Papa and Daddy talking? From his bedroom in his family's Greenwich Village apartment, he can't quite tell if it's his two fathers talking-or someone else. He can't quite make out any words as the voices fade in and out in the d
Published July 31st 2012 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Whispers in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers in the Night

Tara
Apr 23, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This book was excellent, yet heartbreaking. I was often reminded of the Sally Sparrow quote that "[sad is] happy for deep people." This book was filled with unfortunate events and circumstances, with a mini message on climate change thrown in there, yet I couldn't put it down. Fox had it rough. He was dealing with all kinds of crap and didn't have anyone to turn to. Frankly, I am surprised he turned ou
Michael
Apr 14, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
I think that the mark of a good novel is that it leaves the reader with the desire for a sequel, to find out what happens next to the characters or in the plot. This book certainly fulfilled that mark for me.
The main character, Fox Monroe, is followed from age 6 to adulthood. The author is able to realistically reflect Fox's age and maturation through the dialogue and narration. He can "hear" other people's thoughts and sense their feelings; he struggles to understand his special abilities and
Charles Reed
Jul 06, 2014 Charles Reed rated it liked it
Not my cup of tea, I just finished and I can appreciate the story line and the subject matter however it didn't click with me the way other books do, it seemed a bit jumpy at parts and while giving great details at some parts, lacking in others.
I feel that this book could have been told better if more details had been added or if the author would have focused more on certain parts of Fox's life.
I myself am writing a story that takes place over a large period of time but the story is not told in
Christa Bengtsson
May 05, 2014 Christa Bengtsson rated it liked it
I won this book off of Goodreads. It is a pretty well written book. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, but as I read more I didn't really want to finish. There is something missing that could have made the book even better. You do get attached to the characters, but the attachment to Fox tampers off. I wish there was more conflict with the dark shadow or a more of a background story on the shadow.
Roxanne
Dec 06, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Whispers in the Night is a thought provoking novel that follows a boy with psychic powers from youth through adulthood. It makes you wonder if being able to read your neighbors' minds would be advantageous after all. Aside from the well-drawn plot, the story also addresses deeper issues such as families with homosexual parents, incest, and rape. This is fiction at its best. Definitely worth the read.
Vicki
Apr 14, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
This is a great story but very superficially written. There is little character or scene development, no chance to feel connected to the story or characters, even the main character. The idea and the story line are so good it really is a shame. I'd love to see it done again with some meat on its bones.
Cueball
Apr 18, 2014 Cueball rated it it was ok
The story seemed like it could be very good, but it ended up lacking something. It seems to me a lot more like a stream of consciousness than a story. The story doesn't have an engaging conflict most of the time, and even when it does the conflict only lasts a couple of pages. Because of that, I never really felt like I wanted to know what was going to happen next.
Annie Sigmund
Mar 09, 2014 Annie Sigmund rated it it was amazing
A terrific read from beginning to end--nuanced characters, great locations, emotional engagement. I'm not always a fan of fantasy or science fiction, but the author created a seamless world that always felt so real that I was pulled right into it.
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Mollyann Tabachnikov
I can't believe I rote this!
Burma Turner
Burma Turner marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Ashley E
Ashley E marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
J
J marked it as to-read
Tosha Holliman
Tosha Holliman marked it as to-read
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Tex Reader
Tex Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Karen Thaeter
Karen Thaeter marked it as to-read
WriteKnight
WriteKnight marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Sarah Crawley
Sarah Crawley marked it as to-read
Doreen
Doreen marked it as to-read
Shana M. Garrity
Shana M. Garrity marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Haven Gordon
Haven Gordon marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Traci Hearty
Traci Hearty marked it as to-read
Cynthia Gunnels
Cynthia Gunnels marked it as to-read
Karen Bainbridge
Karen Bainbridge marked it as to-read
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Kim Hathorn
Kim Hathorn marked it as to-read
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Daryl Moad
Daryl Moad marked it as to-read
carla clifton
carla clifton marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Sharon Powell
Sharon Powell marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
  • The Original Sin
  • The Amazing Wolf Boy (The Amazing Wolf Boy 1)
  • Wrapped in Red: Thirteen Tales of Vampiric Horror (Wrapped #1)
  • The Boss's Daughter
  • How I Went Red
  • Breaking the Bad Boy
  • MONAD The Awakening of Stella Steinar
  • Lost in Hotels
  • Hold Her Down
  • The Lost Heir (The Dragonath Chronicles, #1)
  • Everything I Ever Needed to Know About _____* I Learned from Monty Python: *History, Art, Poetry, Communism, Philosophy, the Media, Birth, Death, Religion, Literature, Latin, Transvestites, Botany, the French, Class Systems, Mythology, Fish Slapping, a...
  • Get Started in Creative Writing
  • Dragon Slayer: Beginnings
  • A Shocking Delight (Company of Rogues, #15)
  • Dance for a Diamond
  • Saving Us (Paradise Taken, #2)
  • Kane And The Elven Realms (Book #1)
  • Midlife (A Crazy Stupid Love Story)