Start by marking “Nasreddine” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  44 reviews
It's time to go to market, so Nasreddine loads up the donkey and sets off with his father. But when onlookers criticize his father for riding while Nasreddine walks, the boy is ashamed. The following week, Nasreddine persuades his father to walk, and let him ride -- but then people criticize the boy for making his father walk! No matter what Nasreddine tries, it seems that ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published August 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nasreddine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nasreddine

The illustrations follows the text on the page which helps the story along. I love the relationship between the father and son; He instructs his son gently, stating "do as you wish" each time his son listens to the negative comments of people in the village. Finally his son realizes the truth on his own. This tale teaches us that one , we have to discern the comments of others to see whether it is wisdom or folly and secondly the best way to teach someone a lesson is to let an individual learn t ...more
Text to Self Connection: I have a memory of, after a difficult lesson, asking my mom, "But why didn't you tell me?" Her response was that she knew I was stubborn enough that some things I had to learn for myself. As offended as I was, I knew she was right, and this has stuck with me. Somethings we have to learn for ourselves--other things we need to accept from the wisdom of others so that we don't have to make the same mistake. I enjoyed reading how Nasreddine's father let him work through his ...more
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
French author, Odile Weulersse, retells one of the varied tales of Nasreddine, told throughout the Middle East.
Nasreddine and his father, Mustafa, make trips to the market bringing dates, or wool from the sheep, carefully sheared by Nasreddine, or chickens. Everything is brought to the market on the back of their donkey.

On each trip someone makes a critical comment about father and or the son. The comments upset Nasreddine and send him hom
Alex Baugh
Here is another wonderful folktale from the Middle Ages, believed to have originated in Turkey, which has a moral that so appropriate for today's world. But isn't timelessness the beauty of folktales.

Every week, young Nasreddine and his father, Mustafa, take their donkey and bring their wares to the market to sell.

When they bring their dates to market, a vizier tells Mustafa he is lazy for riding on the donkey and making his son walk. His words cause Nasreddine to return home in shame.

When the
I love the perspective of each illustration - the zoomed out, sometimes slanted view of Nasreddine and his father. Not having known that Nasreddine was a classic character in the stories of the Middle East, I kept waiting for there to be something amusingly wrong with the donkey, and then the boy and his father would, through that, determine their message. Still, though, I enjoyed it.

This was a selection for the Butler Center's Mock CaldeNott - considering only picture books for children publis
As is often the case for many of us, Nasreddine allows the comments of those around him to affect his actions. When he and his father Mustafa go to the market, he tries walking behind the donkey, riding the donkey while his father walks, and riding the donkey with his father and their fowls, among other plans, but still onlookers make comments. When he suggests that they carry the donkey, his father reminds him that all comments are not worth paying attention to. After all, it's impossible to pl ...more
Nasreddine is worth picking up just to admire the cover and the artwork inside, but you should go ahead and read the delightful tale Weulersse has recorded inside. This one will go a long way for children and adults alike because no matter what young Nasreddine does, someone in the public sphere has something critical to say. Can such an old figure of wisdom in lore be any more timely?

Nasreddine is so small on the page, but always the most present that he does not risk insignificance—an importan
A beautiful story that is a telling of a Nasreddine tale, one that has offered wisdom and delight for a long time throughout the Middle East. An additional note says that some think the stories are based on a real man who lived in Turkey during the Middle Ages. This time the young boy Nasreddine helps his father take different goods to the market with a donkey. Each time they carry in a different way, like the first time, the father rides with the basket of dates while Nasreddine walks behind. ...more
I heard a variation of this story when I was a little girl. My mother often told me, "you can't please everyone," and boy, was she right.

Poor Nasreddine. No matter how he and his father get to market--Father riding the donkey and Nasreddine walking behind, or Nasreddine riding and Father walking, or both riding the donkey, or both walking--someone in the village makes cutting and hurtful remarks. Nasreddine's kind and patient father guides him into understanding the truth that no matter what we
"Nasreddine" is a story about a boy and his father, Mustafa, and their trips to town each week. Each week Nasreddine and Mustafa travel to town, and each week the people of the town giggle or make snide comments about them. Nasreddine doesn't know how to handle these issues. And through this story Nasreddine figures out how to handle this situation.

The plot in this story is a person vs society. Nasreddine learns to ignore the people of town. As Mustafa says "It's up to you to decide what you're
Author and illustrator live in France. Published there in 2005 by Flammarion; 2013 in US by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers. Translated by Kathleen Merz.

Historical note says that "stories about Nasreddine are told throughout the Middle East and beyond. They are often said to be based on a real man who lived in Turkey during the Middle Ages." In this story Nasreddine is a boy who foolishly listens to what others say about him, until one day he goes too far, and his kind father, who has indulged
Traci Bold
A tale that has been retold time and time again but never gets old.

'Nasreddine' is the tale of trying to please everyone but never accomplishing it. What is a young boy to do when whatever choice he makes seems wrong to those he comes across? His father lets him ponder this question until Nasreddine is so frustrated that he cannot see his mistake.

Gently his father explains the way of the world and some of the misery in it and how to handle it.

A gentle story delicately told so younger readers wil
Edward Sullivan
A handsomely illustrated, fun tale about a wise fool taken from Middle Eastern folklore.
Nasreddine and his father head to market together with his father riding the donkey along with a large basket of dates and Nasreddine walking behind. When some men criticize them for letting a boy walk in the mud, Nasreddine heads back home while his father calmly continues on. The next week, Nasreddine pretends to twist his ankle so that he can ride and his father walks. But onlookers once again make comments and Nasreddine heads home. The next time they head to market, the two of them both rid ...more
The Loopy Librarian
I have a fondness for fables and folktales because they tend to be passed down for generations and offer up wise lessons for children. Nasreddine is a story that is said to have originated in Turkey and been spread throughout the Middle East and beyond. I first heard a version of it via my favorite storyteller, Josie Bailey. Her version was hysterical because she had the adults acting it out. It was also shorter because the entire story took place on one trip to the market rather than several.

This is a good story about a boy who worries too much about what others think and say. He tries several different ways to not be the object of ridicule, but it just goes to show you can't please everyone. The father is a good character who lets the boy try to sort it out for himself and shows the boy how to dismiss the murmurings of the world.
You'll never please everyone. Do what you think is right.
AR level: 4.0 worth .5 points
Michele Knott
Turkish folk tale
Teaches the lesson you can't worry about other people's remarks.
Quick author's note at the end about Turkish folk tales about the character "Nasreddine".
This book was on NY Times List of Best Illustrated Books List. I was a little disturbed by the picture of the father - it seemed like he had stilts for legs!
Love the artwork—the white space and exaggerated character silhouettes. I also like the way the lesson builds throughout and readers can come to their conclusion earlier than the boy does.

And the lesson is timeless! Don't worry about what other people think/say about you when you're doing your thing.
A boy and his father make multiple trips to market and on each trip the villagers criticize them. If father walks and son rides the donkey, that's not right. If son walks and father rides the donkey, that's not right. The boy thinks hard before each trip to market to find the right solution, but it doesn't exist and he ends up learning a valuable lesson: you can't be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.

I'm a huge fan of Sufi teaching tales and this is great tale for childr
Erin Vasiloff
I'm always looking for books with good lessons that are also entertaining, multicultural and visually interesting for read alouds at bed time or when I visit the classroom. This one was a hit with my daughter's second grade class and her teacher for all these reasons -- but especially the lesson.
Delightfully illustrated and written, this book is begging to be read aloud. A terrific example of folk tales, other cultures, and a good one to work up for storytelling. Love the art! Reminds me a bit of Lizbeth Zwerger's...
This was a great story about not worrying about how others perceive you because no matter what you do someone is always bond to find fault with you. Great illustrations with a great Ali Baba feel.
This picture book retelling of a traditional tale changes the viewpoint from the way that it is usually told, and to good effect. In most versions, the story centers on the father, taking his son and various goods to market via a donkey. Each trip, passersby find something to criticize about the way father and son are doing things, especially riding or not riding the donkey.
In this version, with things centered on the more vulnerable and impressionable son, it turns into a story about resisting
Nasreddine tries to go to the market in a variety of different ways to keep townspeople from making fun of him and his father: letting his father ride the donkey, letting him ride the donkey, both of them riding the donkey along with the cargo, both walking alongside the donkey, but every time someone has a comment to make. He can't win!

A great read aloud about the power of thinking for yourself and how someone can always find fault with what you do.

The illustrations in this book are gorgeous.
Patricia Howell
Very sweet story with beautiful art about the importance of learning to listen to others but not to take everything they say to heart.
Oct 27, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ibob
An important lesson in not paying attention to what others say about you, told in a humorous way.
Amy Rachuba
Beautiful Turkish tale told with eye-catching illustrations and beautiful language.
Lauren White
Folktale from Middle East. Very cool message and pictures
Beautiful story and illustrations.
Story about not listening to what others think and going about your business without letting people get to you. Based off of stories about Nasreddine that are told throughout the Middle East. I really liked the illustrations.
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • The Black Rabbit
  • Open This Little Book
  • Nelly May Has Her Say
Les pilleurs de sarcophages Le Messager d'Athènes Le Chevalier Au Bouclier Vert Le Serment Des Catacombes Le secret Du Papyrus