Start by marking “Turkey in the Snow” as Want to Read:
Turkey in the Snow

Turkey in the Snow (Evergreen (2012 Advent Calendar))

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,198 ratings  ·  201 reviews
Since Hank Calder’s four-year-old niece, Josie, came to live with him, his life has been plenty dramatic, thank you, and the last thing he needs is a swishy, flaming twinkie to complicate things. But when Justin, the daycare worker at his gym, offers to do something incredibly nice for Hank—and for Josie—Hank is forced to reconsider. Justin may be flamboyant in his speech ...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Turkey in the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turkey in the Snow

Blame It on the Mistletoe by Eli EastonSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerUnwrapping Hank by Eli EastonThe Christmas Throwaway by R.J. ScottLet It Snow by Heidi Cullinan
M/M CHRISTMAS Books
7th out of 142 books — 173 voters
Sock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerThe Christmas Throwaway by R.J. ScottThe Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters by Amy LaneBlame It on the Mistletoe by Eli EastonHis For The Holidays by Josh Lanyon
Christmas/Summer/Holiday Gay Romance
6th out of 123 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Mo

This was a sweet, quick, Christmas read. Hank’s sister drops her daughter and leaves without telling him. Hank is gay, has a good job and no man in his life. He caught his ex fucking another guy when he got home from work one day. He is not into drama, he is not into twinkies.

Justin is a fun guy who works in the Gym day care centre when Hank leaves Josie, his niece. He is a bit OTT “gay” if you get my drift. Giggles, squeeling, gushing … Justin thinks Hank is straight.

When Justin finds out he i
Ami
3.9 stars rounded up

First -- I needed to deduct the rating because the ohmygah and its variety was OVERKILL. I loved Justin, I really did. I loved his optimism, I loved his ray-of-sunshine personality. If I hear him talk, I probably won't mind. But hearing and READING those words are two different things, 'kay? When I encountered it for the 5th time, I was ready to find a weapon to shoot the turkey.

Other than that, I thought this was cute. I can't help it, when a story has kids in it, it usuall
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

**Audiobook edition**

Some stories work better in audiobook than in print, and I think this is one of them. The main complaint of most readers seems to be the over-the-top language of Justin, but in audiobook form, he was positively charming. If sweet, family-centric love stories with a butch/fem pairing are your thing, than this is the audiobook for you!

This was an unusual Amy Lane for me. It has almost no sex content whatsoever, which is REALLY rare for this author, and it was pretty
Heller
Over the top drama queen meets drama hating banker. Sit back and watch the sparks fly. This was fun and angsty and totally sexy. There were some great lines in this that had me laughing. Great little Christmas story about family.
Deeze
I enjoy most Amy Lane books and this was no exception.

This is a sweet almost angst free read. Ideal to get you into the Christmas spirit.

Hank took a little bit of time for me to warm too, but after getting to know him I can only admire him.

I was worried Josie was going to be a whinny brat, but after reading more deeply things became clear and I could understand why Josie was the way she was.

Justin is a sweetie, I loved him immediately, but if I hear the term “ohmygah” once more I’m going to t
Breann
3.5

Oh, I have been waiting to start my holiday reading and this was the perfect start! How freaking adorable are Hank and Justin? Like, so adorbs I can hardly stand it.

Justin was perfect for Hank, just what he needed to get through his new guardianship over his niece. Hank was a big grumps in the beginning, but got over that real quick-like. Who could be grumpy with Justin around? NOBODY. THAT'S WHO!

It was cute & funny Amy Lane fluff.

Favorite quote:

“But see? Then you got all human on me the
Shelley
Ohmygah, Ohmygah this was just sooo cute!
I say with just a smidgen of sarcasm

This books is a short sweet Christmas story, complete with HEA we all want for the holidays. Justin and Hank, opposites in form and character find love.

Justin is a raging "mo" complete with the flapping hands and everything

Photobucket

He is quite funny though and he had my inner fag hag jumping up and down and clapping hands. Justin's been crushing on the big alpha man Hank for months, but always thought him to be straight.

Justi
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
Jan 15, 2013 LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gay holidays, mm romance
Recommended to LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Jen Mathews
~ ~ ~

A quick, sweet holiday short.

THE STORY

The holidays are hectic for anyone, but Hank is particularly busy. A single guy raising his four year old niece, he has to accept help from Justin. Justin's adorableness is just too much for Hank, or maybe it's exactly what Hank really needs.

All in all an enjoyable story. Solid characters, realistic plot (if a little scrunched) and a nice message of hope.

THE CHARACTERS

I think you'll enjoy Hank's curmudgeon paired with Justin's twinkly drama queen-ness
Kaje Harper
This is a moderate length holiday story - something to sit down with when you need a quiet hour watching pain melting into joy.

The story arc is familiar, a man who is left with his sister's child before the holidays finds the guy who can turn a tough situation into family. But no one does characters better than Amy Lane, and this story introduces bubbly, dramatic Justin who has hidden strength, and pessimistic, responsible Hank, who learns to take a chance. It's sweet and lovely, the child is re
Sandra
3.5 stars I really enjoyed this audiobook. The narrator, Gomez Pugh, did a great job. He was able to give Justin the flamboyant lilt without it being obnoxious or seeming like a caricature, and I didn't pick up a single hint of it with Hank's speech. Similarly, he did Josie and the other female characters well without them seeing like high-pitched stereotypes.

This was a sweet story that was the perfect length. We meet everyone after Hank has met Justin, and is not enamored. But to be fair, he wa
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
So. Freaking. Adorable. I loved this little morsel of Christmas cuteness. I have to be the biggest fan of Amy Lane's happy feel-good stories. I have the feeling that this is going to be my favorite of the season. This was a great start to my Holiday story happiness.
Serena Yates
What a great story! I loved the characters, the things that happened kept me glued to the pages, and the deep emotions between the two men at the center of this whirlwind touched me deeply. The overall analogy, referenced in the title, is a pretty accurate description of the story's theme. Just like turkeys that panic seemingly without having reason to when snowflakes hit them, but remain still and peaceful when a fox comes to visit, life's dramas hit different people in different ways. What ups ...more
Sara
So... this redhead has a hard time with audio books. I have a thing with being read to but I will admit to loving the narrator for this, Gomez Pugh reads wonderfully and his Justin was so freaking good he made the boy come to life.

I loved how he read as Hank because Hank was Hank until he was Henry *sigh* and Josie was totes adorbs with her "JUSTIN!!! and I loved all of them and was enjoying being read to, until the kiss. Ugh. I don't know what it is but I listened to the kiss and felt nothing.
Giorgia
Funny, Funny, Funny!!
I loved this short story, and it is saying a lot since I don’t usually rate short stories really high. This is a sweet and funny Christmas story! Just what I need it!
Justin is just HILARIOUS!
Highly recommended!!

LOL quotes:

(view spoiler)
Ije the Devourer of Books
'Ohmigah''.......(My favourite phrase from this book) I loved this story!!

I laughed so loud and so long at some of the scenes that my son thought I had truly and finally lost it, epecially when I laughed about the scenes with the social worker.

This is an opposites attract Christmas story with a kid thrown into the mix, just the right amount of humour, a tiny amount of angst, realistic parenting stresses and voila!! The perfect short story for the season.

The characters in the story were just so r
Jenn
Ok, so if you like your holiday stories with kids and family issues and pure sweetness, you'd probably give this 4 or 5 stars. I'd def say give this a go.

I, for whatever reason, really don't want to read about kids right now in my books. I don't want to read about custody issues or anything else. I want to read UST, sweet mysteries, and adult talk.

Thus, for my own personal enjoyment, I'd give this a 3.
Sara
Dec 18, 2012 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, fluff
Very cutesy and enjoyable. Cookie cutter man with child meets man who loves child and man. Quick and sweet.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I absolutely LOVE Amy Lane's stories! This one is no different! It's such a feel good read about Hank suddenly being forced to take in his four year old niece, Josie, and getting unexpected help from a gym daycare worker, Justin. It's sweet the way Hank hates Justin at first because he hates drama and Justin's flamboyancy oozes unintentional drama but then realizes he's being ridiculous. I adored the connection these two had and how much they grow to love each other and make a little fa
Don Bradshaw
Ok, so I skipped the apple pie yesterday because I knew that I was diving into another sweet Amy Lane book. This fun read was well worth skipping the pie for. It was very well developed for a short story and Hank and Justin were very well fleshed out. Ms Lane covered an emotional sugar spoon from sorrow to full out funny as the two very different guys built a relationship together. This was a great holiday story.
Eli Easton
I loved this. It was perfect for a Christmas novella. The plot was well developed and chunky as a novel. Both MCs were three-dimensional and detailed. Justin was a hoot -- I enjoy this kind of flamboyant character and he was very funny. The sub-plot around the little girl was moving. Amy Lane has a wonderful prose voice that goes down like buttah! Recommended.

Re-read Feb 2014. Still my favorite Amy Lane!
Jo
This is a quick, simple amazing little story for Amy Lane. It is still Ms. Lane so of course it isn't really simple or easy. There are a lot of things I could say about the development of the relationship between Hank and Justin.

description

Really what impacted me the most is how much respect and awe I have towards those people who step up to raise another person's child. It is long days and longer nights, spending money time and effort on someone else leaving little left over for yourself all while second
Audrey
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for GR.

Ohmigah! This story was cute and ohmigah great!

*ahem*

What I mean is...I enjoyed this story! I usually shy away from Amy Lane books because I'm totally not an angst-seeker. I avoid it, to be quite frank. I've noticed, though, that I really enjoy her lighter reads, and Turkey in the Snow fits into that category.

When we first meet Hank, he's quite harried and doesn't want to bother dealing with the gym's flaming daycare worker, Justin. However, Justin's offer to d
Kazza

This is a nice enough book. Personally it kind of bored me more than interested me. And the exclamation marks drove me to insanity. They just kept mocking me...and annoying me. Seriously. Flamboyance, and being attracted to it, apparently makes you empahasise the shit out of every sentence and shout everything. And the word "drama" drove me to distraction as well. It really wasn't drama just different people doing things that they do. That's life.

Anyway, Hank was a decent guy, trying to
Cindi
With the exception of a couple of things, I really enjoyed this. I love books with kids in them and this one has Josie, the 4-year-old niece of one of the MC's, Hank Calder.

Hank has been given the responsibility of taking care of Josie after her mother literally dumped the child on his lap without warning. He is trying hard to do right by Josie but he is having a difficult time with it. He meets Justin, a flamboyant man who works in the childcare facility at the gym that Hank often frequents. H
Mary
A really heartwarming story about Hank who is trying to make a home for his niece after his flighty sister takes off leaving the little girl behind. Struggling to cope with work, social workers, and Josie's pain at her mother's sudden absence is difficult, so he releases his stress and raging emotions by working out at a gym where Justin works. Justin who is bright, funny, warm and full of 'exuberance' or what Hank considers a total drama queen.

Drama that Hank can really do without. But Hank st
Lucy
Amy Lane almost seems like a dual personality writer. She has dark, angsty, rip your heart out books (Chase in Shadow) and then she has light, fluffy, make you so happy you read them stories. Turkey in the Snow is the latter. It is the endearingly funny writing side of Amy Lane.

Perhaps it was so perfect for me because it is a holiday story about a frazzled, incredibly responsible and caring man named Hank who just wants things to go right for his four-year-old niece, Josie, who has been dumped
Val Kovalin
Bank manager Hank is under serious stress this Christmas season. At twenty-six, he is stoic and hard working with a strong dislike of anything unpredictable and dramatic. His temperament comes from his childhood with an absent father and an indifferent mother, which he spent looking after himself and his irresponsible sister Amanda.

The story opens shortly after Amanda has dumped her four-year-old daughter Josie on Hank’s porch and disappeared without a word. Hank realizes he needs to win custody
Jen
Third Amy Lane I've read that I've loved... I guess that officially makes me a fan. LOL

I wasn't sure for about the first 25% of it. For instance, this ridiculous passage that explains both why drama-averse Hank is a dick to Justin the Drama Queen, and how the story got its namesake:

“It’s like turkeys,” he said, out of the blue, and Justin blinked.
“Turkeys?”
“Yeah! Turkeys in the snow.” Hank sighed and set his gym bag down. “See, turkeys are like the drama queens of the animal world. They frea
Bev
This was really sweet, and will be a keeper on the Kindle for when I need cheering up (doesn't everyone at some stage - don't forget those post-Xmas blues!). Hank is a wonderful brother for anyone to have (my two could take note!!), and even though Justin is a 'flaming queen' in his own words, he's a really loveable character who will help anyone, but of course, has been eyeing Hank up at the gym and so anything Hank asks, Justin will do. Hank needs all the help he can get with his niece Josie, ...more
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf (Heartwarming)
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Inspiration
  • Making His List
  • Eight Days
  • Let It Snow (Minnesota Christmas, #1)
  • Wish List
  • Where You Lead
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • The Christmas Throwaway
  • A Lion in Tails (Heartwarming)
  • Greeting Cards
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more
More about Amy Lane...

Evergreen (2012 Advent Calendar) (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Evergreen (2012 Advent Calendar)
  • In Another Life (Heartwarming)
  • Betting on Snow
  • Inspiration
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Lessons Learned, Wishes Earned
  • The Colors of Pastor Saul
  • Snowbound in Nowhere
  • Yes, Darling
  • Peace in the Valley
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) The Locker Room Talker (Talker, #1) Clear Water Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1)

“I shall be your guide through the fields of frantic holiday shoppers. You will come to depend on me. I'll be your Sherpa through the human mountain, your faithful Saint Bernard, guiding you through the shopping Alps, your Strider, hauling your poor hobbit ass through the perils of Middle Earth-"

"My Gollum, prepared to dump my hobbit ass in the volcano," Hank finished, although it was hard because he was fighting laughter with every word.”
6 likes
“But see? Then you got all human on me the other night, and it's official. I'm there, Henry. I'm...I'm ready for the Henry lifestyle. And I know you've only gotten your toes wet in Lake Justin right now, but I want you to come in, take a swim, and build your house out here, okay?” 3 likes