The Willows and Beyond

The Willows and Beyond (Tales of the Willows #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  14 reviews
William Horwood is the author of the acclaimed Duncton trilogies. Patrick Benson studied at the Chelsea Art School and St. Martin's School of Art. Both live in England.
Published October 21st 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 4th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Willows and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Willows and Beyond

Renee Bush
I doubt anyone but Mr. Horwood could have wrapped up the lives of the beloved Mole, Ratty, Toad, Badger, and Otter so lovingly. This is a poignant read, and brought tears to my eyes more than once. If you love THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS, you must read these follow-up books. It is the only time I have ever known a "different" author to successfully tackle a beloved classic.
Melanie
Tonari
Nigel Williamson
I bought this to keep reading about Mole, Ratty, Toad, Otter and the lives of the Riverbank, but I forgot that all lives come to an end, at least Horwood seemed to think it was his duty to bring about the end of the story of the most wonderful people to ever stroll along the Riverbank, and so he does, thereby destroying the most cherished and positively last remnant of my childhood. Once upon a time I could sit down on a wet Sunday and read 'The Wind in the Willows' and bask again in the eternal...more
Leslie
Well, now I've read this last book of the Wind in the Willows series and feel a nice, cozy sense of closure-except the library didn't have Toad Triumphant. Funny thing is, yesterday I found it in the vintage children's books section of Half-Price Books! (Hardcover, with dust jacket, can I get a "Woo-HOo!"?)
Anyway, this book takes our dear friends all the way to the peaceful end and yet one feels the stories might continue, because their families do. One big surprise about 3/4 of the way through...more
Bryan
The best book of the trilogy in my opinion. I could empathize with Ratty, Mole and Badger in all the troubles they faced in this book. This book, more than the others, best fulfills the message of Kenneth Grahame's original.
Andrew
This is the concluding book of the series - where if you like one set of stories end and the next take their place however there is a sense of coming full circle so there is no need to tell more. The style and storyline read and feel just like he original and still hold their charm all these years after I read them first to my son. If you enjoyed wind in the willows this cannot be a more fitting finale - however read the others first - it would be a shame to cut the story short prematurely.
Seth
I am conflicted about this one. In some ways Horwood departs the most from the original story, although I can see why he did it; yet elsewhere, particularly at the end, he pens a wistful tribute to (and resolution of) Grahame's beautiful and beloved characters and setting. It left me feeling melancholy.
Melissa
The ending of Mole, Rat, and Toad. Oh well. Nothing beats the Wind in the Willows, but book was better than nothing. Author did a great job of writing like Kenneth Grahame - just not sure Grahame would have gone in the same direction. But who knows?
stephanieisabookworm
This is a great conclusion to Horwood's trilogy and to Grahame's original. I love it! I almost cried.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Starts well, falters, then carries on telling a completely different (equally good) story. Worth reading.
Zeta T.
Too much flair. Not enough Riverbank. But I keep my copies for the illustrations.
Chiwell
Не смотря на недетский конец — все умерли — есть в ней своё очарование.
Dorthea
I found this book to be more readable than the original classic.
Oskar
Oskar marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Carolee Zvirblis
Carolee Zvirblis marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Awesomepeacock
Awesomepeacock marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kimberley doruyter
Kimberley doruyter marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Duncton Wood (Duncton Chronicles, #1) The Willows in Winter Duncton Quest (Duncton Chronicles, #2) Duncton Found (Duncton Chronicles, #3) Skallagrigg

“It is said that to this day that educational establishment still bears the scars of their activities.” 0 likes