Start by marking “Psychopath” as Want to Read:
Psychopath

Psychopath (Frank Clevenger #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  989 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Having achieved celebrity status with his cast in Compulsion, forensic psychiatrist Frank Clevenger is approached by the FBI to help catch an elusive serial killer. Called The Highway Killer, the murderer has left a trial of twelve bodies in twelve states with no obvious link. Now he writes an open letter to The New York Times challenging Clevenger to catch him. Soon Cleve ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Sound Library (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Psychopath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychopath

Angie crosby
Awesome book. very well written. I felt sorry for Jonah, even as I wanted him to stop killing. I wanted him to stop and not be caught. Very good at making me feel for the killer. I loved the letters written back and forth between Jonah and Clevenger. I also liked how Clevenger was trying to do the right thing by a kid from a previous case. Good second story line. As the bodies continue to pile up the FBI calls in Clevenger to help catch a killer. The killer writes to the NY times inviting Cleven ...more
Carrie
This book was recommended to me as an example of an antagonist done well--in other words, a three-dimensional bad guy. And I agree, the reader really gets into the guy's head. In the novel, a psychiatrist who's a serial killer seeks the help of a well-known forensic psychiatrist, Frank Clevenger, who the FBI has hired to find him. The cat-and-mouse nature makes for a page-turning read.The fact the author is a forensic psychiatrist himself makes the characterization even more riveting. I
Adrienne
There was so much potential to this book, in fact it was the first two chapters that I read for free online that convinced me to check this out at my local library. I thought finally an original, or at least new, approach to a serial killer and the inevitable trophies. But oh how was I mistaken...

The opening of the book leads the reader to believe that Jonah Wrens, the Highway Killer, is collecting an unusual type of trophy from his kills, something untraceable and what would have been brilliant
Nik
**MILD SPOILERS**

This book was fun. I liked the idea of psychiatrist versus psychiatrist. However, psychiatrist as a psycho killer is unnerving in the most uncomfortable way. I like this book until the last 45mins. It was rushed at the end. It like Ablow got impatient with his own story and decided to move it along when he should have drawn it out a little. I wanted more of Jonah versus Fletcher. I wanted more McCormick and Fletcher, too. It was just rushed at the end. Otherwise it was enjoyable
Christina
Oh my God, so boring!
When I looked for psychological thriller, I didn't really imagine it would be too, uh, psychological. This book is about a brilliant killer and a psychologist who pretty much are hunting each other, and they challenge each other and heal each other through letters on a newspaper. A public newspaper psychological consultation, in other words. The only thing worth paying attention to is the actual murders and the search of this murderer. A lot of bull.
Rose
Any of these books with the character Frank Clevenger are awesome!!! A forensic psychiatrist with great empathy, uses these skills to become close to the killer emotionally to understand their minds. With each case, comes huge personal growth for our lead character that you come to love for all his human shortcomings. Highly recommend.
Peter
Jan 05, 2008 Peter rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: idiots and crazies.
this guy's supposed to be good? Blah. Blech. I love schlocky fiction, but this isn"t well done. Slow in parts that shoudl be fast and fast in parts that shoudl be slow. Implausible in ways that even a huge sci-fi fan like myself couldn't overlook.

Filled with psycobabble that even I could tell was poorly written.
Lorraine Bellevue
I think this was an absolutely top-notch novel. The amount of sympathy - morbid sympathy, perhaps, but sympathy nonetheless - that the author was able to evoke for Jonah was incredible: it's understandably rare to find a story featuring such a deeply sensitive, emotional, and even guilt-ridden serial killer. I loved Jonah so much that I expected to be disappointed when the book moved to different plots, like Clevenger's surrogate parenthood for Billy, but I actually enjoyed those just as much. E ...more
Joy
If you're interested in psycho thrillers and mind games, this one's for you. This book just don't want to be put down, you have to read it to the end once you've started it.
Jessica Welch
Enjoyed the back & forth between the two therapists. My kind of book, enough real science to make the fiction fun.
Kayrob
I'm surprised this book got such good ratings. I found it predictable. The only question I had was, where and when.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The Highway Killer travels the highways of America killing when the compulsion becomes unbearable but he always gets his victims to trust him and talk to him so he can get inside their defenses before he delivers the fatal blow. He has killed 14 people, men and women, young and old with no discernible pattern.

The FBI is getting desperate so they call in forensic psychiatrist Frank Clevenger as consultant. Frank Clevenger has recently adopted a boy, Billy, who had been tortured by the father in a
Pam
I could tell it was written just after 9/11. That said, it's a good read. Complex with just the right amount of emotion. I could do without all the god stuff. Since this is the first book of his I have read, I will try another. If it is too jesusy too, I may pass on the rest.
Mare Kinley
Like the stars say, "It was OK." I freely admit to my fascination with serial killers and the very fine line which separates sociopaths from "normal" people. On that level, this book was better than OK; on that level it gets the full three stars for "I liked it." However, the prose was...well...less than lyrical. Less than OK. Closer to...plodding. While I was perfectly wiling to believe the killer as a character (albeit a little flat), the crime-solvers were completely cardboard. I didn't care ...more
Helen
Insightful psychological thriller, intensely focussed on the inner world of the killer in question, as one might expect from a novel written by a forensic psychiatrist. Unlike some novels in this genre, the killer was a deep and complex character, and although the perpetrator of horrendous crimes, was one I did actually feel for in some strange and distant way.
At some points I did feel as though I were reading a psychology text-book, but as the hunt for the killer heats up towards the end, the t
Claudia
This is a great book but it is very scary. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like scary movies or books.
Charlie Taylor
yagmuralbayir
polisiyeye başlama sebebim harşka bir kitap..
Sue
A psycological thriller where you know the guilty party but can't see what will happen next.
Barış Erdem
Kitapta hem psikopatımız Jonah Wrens'in hem de detektif Frank Clevenger'in yaşadıkları eş zamanlı olarak aktarılmış.Psikopatın anlatıldığı bölümler etkileyici ve kitabın okunmasını sağlıyor, ancak detektifin anlatıldığı bölümler bir takım ilavelerle renklendirilmeye çalışılmış olsa da çok sıkıcı. Polisiye gerilim türünde katilin baştan belli olduğu kitaplar sürpriz bir final de içermiyorsa hiç çekilmiyor.Bu kitap da öyle ne yazık ki.
Elizabeth Cornett
I absolutely loved this book! I was interested from the first page to the last. I loved going inside a killers mind, how independent and alone they are, I love how Jonah was hungry to kill, he was anxious if the didn't. His blood would pump, his hands would twitch, he had to kill, if his victims didn't let him in. This book really triggered my intrest in, and I wouldn't mind to become a detective if I had that much action.
Deborah Mitton
Excellent read. Fast pace interesting characters. 3 stars is an author doing his/her job of entertaining the reader. 4 stars is an author who goes beyond entertaining and allows the readers to lose self for a short time in the characters. 5 stars in an author who has the talent to completely take us to another place or time,and/or enter the thoughts and movements of his characters and haunt our memories thereafter.

Maria
The author has a really good in depth knowledge of his characters. That comes from his forensic psychiatry background. So who really is the psychopath: son or mother or both? How could such cruelty be inflicted upon other human beings? That is a question I have asked myself since I was 11. Even though this book is fiction, these are the types of questions I asked myself throughout my reading.
Jan
Another author it took me awhile to "find" and I'm thrilled to add another keeper to my list! Psychopath is a non-stop psychological thriller that keeps you right on the edge. Frank Clevenger is a forensic psychiatrist invited by the FBI to identify and locate a serial killer who just happens to be a respected psychiatrist with an overly twisted mind.
Virginia
A book you can absolutely NOT put down!
Tatjana Faith
Author background in forensic psychology/psychiatry lends to the authenticity in the plot and it is an excellent read, I had a difficult time putting it down, however, the ending I felt was 'rushed' and a tad to 'pat' and 'contrived'. I almost expected more and felt the ending missed the mark by a bit.
Edwina Hall Callan
Edge of your seat thrill ride!
lunaticprophet
*** Well written, good pace. My only reservation is that the book ends too quickly.... by the time I got to the 2/3rds point, the book had really gotten good and then I realized that I only had about a 1/3rd left to read. It raced to the finish and left me unsatisfied and wanting more.
Marie
This is part of the Frank Clevenger series. I loved that the protagonist (Frank) is flawed and not just from the cookie cutter variety, which is usually the norm. In this story we get to see inside the mind of the killer also, and it is surprisingly also not what you would expect.
  • Fear Itself
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Trust Me
  • The Prosecution
  • Sea Change
  • The Closer
  • Das Wesen
  • Web of Deceit
  • The Third Translation
  • Irresistible
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • L'âme du mal
  • A Simple Act Of Violence
  • Oblivion
  • The Breathtaker
  • Torn   (Randall Shane #3)
  • Door Number Three
Keith Russell Ablow is an American psychiatrist, New York Times best-selling author, and television personality.
More about Keith Ablow...

Frank Clevenger (7 books)
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • Infam / Ausgelöscht
Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1) The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6) Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3) Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5) Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)

“...the horrific fact that our lives and those of the people we love are impermanent and exquisitely fragile, that any of us can cease to exist without warning, that loving anyone, anywhere, at any time, leaves you infinitely vulnerable at every single moment. (20)” 5 likes