Start by marking “The Golden Age” as Want to Read:
The Golden Age
read book

The Golden Age

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the imaginative author of "The Wind in the Willows," an enchanting pair of books that map the imaginative landscape of childhood..
Published September 1st 1900 by Common Reader (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Age

Petra X
I was delighted when I found this book as the Wind in the Willows is one of my all-time favourite stories. Most people haven't even heard of the Golden Age story collection with good reason - they are really terrible. Words that come to mind thinking of Wind in the Willows include charming, beautifully-written, wonderful characterisations, relatable dialogue, a story for all children for all time. By contrast the words that come to mind on reading the Golden Age are boring, smug, lacks creativit ...more
Nick
A classic Edwardian evocation of the separate world of childhood that seems to have vanished today with helicopter parents and the Internet. Grahame calls adults "Olympians," as in remote and pretty useless, compared to the present, pointed, world of childhood. The book is short on plot and long on Grahame's wonderful writing and elegiac tribute to that beautiful era of hot summer days, stolen fruit, escapades involving farmers' rowboats, and the safety of childhood innocence. Where have we gone ...more
Amanda
This was a LibriVox recording.

That phrase is now drilled into my head. But that's ok, because The Golden Age was one of the better read stories I've heard on LibriVox. This book is also available at Project Gutenberg.

The Golden Age was published in 1895 and is a novel that is divided up into short stories. The stories as a whole tell about the childhood of 3 boys and 2 girls. The children refer to the adults as Olympians and believe that the adults no longer know how to have fun. The chapters ar
Lisa
Great book, a tad pretentious even for a Victorian children's book, with all the Latin phrases. Still a great book on childhood. Too bad the author couldn't extend his seeming empathy with children to his own child later in life.
Sep 10, 2011 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novel
Grahame's reminiscences of childhood are framed in term of the Ancient Greek pantheon of gods. While it may be a book about childhood, it's written too much from the perspective of adults smugly remembering the carefree days of childhood to actually be a book for children.The stories of childhood adventures and elaborate imaginings are charming, but there's not a strong narrative to engage the reader's attention from chapter to chapter. Of course, I'm generally one for a novel rather than a nove ...more
Jessica
I didn’t like this book as much as I wanted to; the writing just didn’t keep my attention. The concept is great and the story made me feel so nostalgic. The author writes about the live of five children, from a child’s point of view. It is really interesting to hear the child’s thoughts about the adults around him and how they interact with the world.
Peter J.
I loved this. He truly captures the feel of childhood many of us have forgotten.
Jori Richardson
"The Golden Age" is narrated by an unnamed boy, possibly meant to be the author himself, as he goes through the "golden years" of his childhood.

With his friends - the dramatic Harold, the shy Charlotte, and Edward, the oldest - he enjoys all the lighthearted, whimsical fun of being young.

The descriptions of the children's games, their outlook on life, their make believe stories, and their favorite fairytales are charming to read about.
I was quite surprised at the writing in this book - it is bea
Mike

This collection of short stories forms a loose narrative following some apparently privileged children and seems to be a tale of how one's sense of mystery and awe slowly gives way to cynicism and practicality. There were a few adult characters who had more imagination and ability to relate to the kids, but they are certainly the exception.

The stories were interesting enough to keep me reading over the relatively short work, but I don't know that I'll be coming back to this in years to come. If
Kailey
This is not really a book for children, but for adults reminiscing about their childhood. The language is complex and flowery. The humor dry and a little bit sarcastic. The plot sweet and innocent. I love how the author takes the small doings and events of young childhood and gives them all the end-of-the-world importance that we feel when we are young.
Hermione
I bought this book two years ago after hearing about it. But only now I have been able to get around to reading it. I didn't know what to expect at first. But after reading it I found this collection of short stories good. At the beginning I found some of the stories a bit slow and even considered stopping but I stuck with it and found the rest good. But for me 'The Wind in the Willows' will always be Kenneth Grahame's best book.
William
I was just going to reread "The Wind in the Willows" (loved it) but opted to venture into this unread work of Kenneth's (famous for "The Reluctant Dragon"). It reads like a collection of short stories on childhood imagination. A little too benign for my tastes, but not unpleasant. My recommendation: Read the other works cited here first.
Khinna
Was this really the same author of The Wind in the Willows? After three chapters in, I just couldn't read anymore. As another reviewer said,"Overly written." It was tedious. A Kenneth Graham book you can skip over.
Patti
Loved this, but not for everyone. Highly nostalgic look at a remembered and long-past childhood when life was much different than now. Did I mention Ioved it? Made me smile - a good thing.
Terry
don't know what I expected--picked it up because it looked like an old classic. It is but is laborious to work through. Still, quick read and interesting read about different age.
Skye
I read this after the Dream Days, so a little out of order. Liked it better I think, although my favourite story is still 'The Twenty-first of October.'
Barbara
An older sense of childhood. Some of it works, some of it just seems very dated. Like it's the Agatha Christie of children's lit. Am reading the second.
charlotte Phillips
Tales of childhood remembered/reminisced/relieved by an adult. That once reviled state of distance and wisdom brings a witty eye to younger adventures.
Casey
Surprisingly good. What's important to note, here, is that I wrote Bear Season well before reading or hearing of this.
Shawn
A deeply nostalgic reminiscence of childhood as viewed through a series of short stories.
Shiron Roshni
A good book 4 ppl of al ages abt kids n der mindset.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: BBC7 listeners
Kailey
Not his best, but a lovely story.
Terri Halstead
Terri Halstead marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Lakshmi Radhika
Lakshmi Radhika marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Trisha K.
Trisha K. marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Mydeen Sharmila
Mydeen Sharmila marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • Breaking Rank
  • Outcast
  • Greene on Capri
  • Mary and Maria by Mary Wollstonecraft & Matilda by Mary Shelley (Penguin Classics)
  • Tom Brown's Schooldays
  • The Lost Princess
  • Father and Son
  • Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
  • Collected Poems
  • Once there was a bull...frog
  • Philomena
  • Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957
  • William the Fourth (Just William, #4)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Decline Of The English Murder and Other Essays
  • The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Wet Magic
  • The Songs and Sonnets
The Wind in the Willows The Reluctant Dragon Toad of Toad Hall (Wind In the Willows) The Adventures of Mr. Toad: From The Wind in the Willows Dream Days

“And perhaps we have reason to be very grateful that, both as children and long afterwards, we are never allowed to guess how the absorbing pursuit of the moment will appear, not only to others, but to ourselves, a very short time hence.” 3 likes
“The pure, absolute quality and nature of each note in itself are only appreciated by the strummer. For some notes have all the sea in them, and some cathedral bells; others a woodland joyance and a smell of greenery; in some fauns dance to the merry reed, and even the grave centaurs peep out from their caves. Some bring moonlight, and some the deep crimson of a rose's heart; some are blue, some red, and others will tell of an army with silken standards and march-music. And throughout all the sequence of suggestion, up above the little white men leap and peep, and strive against the imprisoning wires; and all the big rosewood box hums as it were full of hiving bees.” 1 likes