Start by marking “A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Stories)” as Want to Read:
A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Stories)

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Stories)

Over two million Shakespeare Shorts sold! Discover the world of Shakespeare with this collection of brilliant stories - perfect for readers of all ages.

In ancient Athens, Hermia finds herself in love with Demetrius, who is engaged to Helena, who has run off with Lysander! The path of true love definitely does not run smooth for these young lovers... Could the powerful king
Published 2003 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about A Midsummer Night's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Midsummer Night's Dream

Tanzina
Apr 29, 2012 Tanzina rated it it was amazing
This is an abridged version of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream written in prose. This story brings together two worlds, the human world of Athens and the fairy world of the woods outside the city. One world is ruled by the law; the other is ruled by magic. But nonetheless both worlds are full of trouble and conflict.

Just when tragedy strikes, it is put right by the use of magic. This is a fun read and Shakespeare pokes fun at how lovers may behave when they are in love. It is particular
Samar
Aug 01, 2016 Samar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book is completely funny because the queen of fairies fell in love with a donkey. This all began when Oberon the king of fairies didn’t get the best fairy honour. Titania got the best fairy honour. When Titania fell asleep Oberon asked Buck to get some magic flowers for Titania. “The first thing Titania sees she will fall in love with it,” said Oberon. He laughed an evil laugh. Oberon thought that the first thing she sees might be a snail a slug or a frog. This was kind of amusing. At the e ...more
EJ Raymond
Jan 16, 2016 EJ Raymond rated it it was amazing
I think this book is VERY useful, for both deaf and hearing actors when read a properly William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. I know this book is for children but I believe that this book will help deaf actors who are struggling with English, however, it's William Shakespeare's language - believe me, it is SO useful!!
Amy
Jan 25, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Ainhoa
Jul 06, 2016 Ainhoa added it
Acabo de ver la obra en The Globe y justo he visto este libro que se amolda a mi nivel de inglés (triste pero cierto) en un puesto y creo que me he enamorado un montón de ambos
Den
Jun 20, 2013 Den rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, teen, 2013
I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series. The simpler language and the pictures will make it appeal to more people.
This is the story where the fairy world collides with the real world.
Oberon & Titania both want the page boy to be their's so argue. Another arguement is brewing with Demetrius who is insisting on marrying Hermia despite the fact that she loves someone else. Then there is a punch of actors who can do nothing but argue.
Despite magic the humans fall in love with
Madelyne Bookdiary
Oct 17, 2014 Madelyne Bookdiary rated it really liked it
A really good book, easy to read.
A good way to discover Shakespeare without the old English problem.
Perfect for a beginner in english.
Leia
Jun 07, 2016 Leia rated it liked it
Great little introduction to Shakespeare for my elementary kiddos. We'll be reading more of these this summer.
Pam Bartholomew
May 09, 2016 Pam Bartholomew rated it really liked it
Quick telling of story in kid friendly language. Cast of characters helps keep story straight. Fun read.
Amina
Jan 27, 2016 Amina rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book but mainly because of the half donkey guy who always made funny sounds. :-))))
selda
Jan 27, 2016 selda added it
I was so funny and and the donkey human
Valkryie
Jan 28, 2016 Valkryie rated it really liked it
it is kind of confusing
Sara
Jul 16, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
A lovely version of Shakespeare's original play! I was intrigued from the very first page. Set in Athens Greece is a magical tale of love and magic. A little bit of magic and mischief gets in the way of true love but it all works itself out in the end. The beautiful and carefully drawn pictures suit the words as well. A lovely tale for everyone. I'll definitely be checking out the movie!
Mishma
Dec 29, 2015 Mishma rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
One of the advantage of literature exams is(maybe the only one) is to read the whole lot I am assigned to read.I already knew the story,but I haven't read it.Even though it's an abridged version(which I normally don't like),I enjoyed reading it.
This is probably my favourite by Shakespere.I had great fun reading it,I even forgot that I am reading it for my exams.
Caitlin Allerton
Feb 17, 2013 Caitlin Allerton rated it really liked it
This was a good story about fairy's and humans. I have only given it a four because I did not quite understand the story. The message is that things' don't always go the way you want them to.
Beth
Jan 13, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the adaptation and there are many different ideas that could be encompassed into the classroom.
Cjukes
Oct 31, 2013 Cjukes rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a great way of reading Shakespeare for anyone who has never read them. Also for children. Easy to understand.
Philippa Brunt
Aug 27, 2014 Philippa Brunt rated it it was ok
Shelves: yr3-4
Yr 4/5. Told story simply and clearly. Could have done with stronger characterisation.
Florence
Jun 15, 2014 Florence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a shakespeare book i understood. It was very funny!
Geoff
Nov 25, 2009 Geoff rated it liked it
Read with my youngest daughter.
Phyllis Wright
Phyllis Wright marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Ceren
Ceren added it
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Brookwood Tinylibrary
Brookwood Tinylibrary marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Rosie Lammin
Rosie Lammin rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Bekki O
Bekki O rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Tess
Tess rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
  • Sleepover!
  • Tashi and the Dancing Shoes (Tashi, #8)
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
  • Kate the Royal Wedding Fairy
  • Asal Usul Keluarga Flood
  • Hot & Cold (EJ12 Girl Hero, #1)
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • More Wishing-Chair Stories
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • srsly Hamlet (OMG Shakespeare)
  • Little Miss Chatterbox
  • Anne Frank
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Where's My Mom?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Whoops! But It Wasn't Me
  • Pirate Adventure (Oxford Reading Tree, Stage 5, Storybooks, Magic Key)
Andrew Matthews was born in South Glamorgan in 1948. Andrew taught English in Hampshire after which he became a full-time writer. He lives in Reading with his wife and their cats. Andrew's work has been widely translated and he has made numerous appearances at schools and libraries throughout the UK.

Source: United Agents.
More about Andrew Matthews...

Shakespeare Stories (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Antony and Cleopatra (Shakespeare Stories)
  • As You Like It (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Hamlet (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Henry V (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Julius Caesar (Shakespeare Shorts)
  • King Lear (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Macbeth: A Shakespeare Story
  • The Merchant Of Venice (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Othello (Shakespeare Stories)