Start by marking “Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)” as Want to Read:
Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)

Rules for a Proper Governess (Mackenzies & McBrides #7)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,541 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
To Kiss A Thief...

Scottish barrister Sinclair McBride can face the most sinister criminals in London - but the widower’s two unruly children are a different matter. Little Caitlin and Andrew go through a governess a week, sending the ladies fleeing in tears.

Roberta “Bertie” Frasier enters Sinclair’s life by stealing his watch - and then stealing a kiss. Intrigued by the
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Rules for a Proper Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules for a Proper Governess

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Stealing Basher McBride's heart Stars

photo hfy_zpslvi8etnm.gif

First read 5/11/2015
Reread 9/4/2016

*Spoilers*

I have been very vocal about my total crazy fan-girl love for this series. It has to rate up on my top 5 series of all time. But I have to be honest and say that Sinclair is tied with Hart for my least liked hero of the series. He just didn't have the charm and awesomeness the other absolutely amazing heroes have. That is not to say he was a bad hero or that I didn't like him because I did. Just not as much as t
Jennifer Ashley
Sinclair McBride's story (Sinclair is the older brother of Ainsley (McBride) Mackenzie, and Elliot McBride). Bertie Frasier is a governess. Of sorts. Full-length novel. Please see http://www.jenniferashley.com/jennifer-ashley-books/highland-pleasures/mackenzies-series-chronology-and-reading-order/ for why Rules takes place before Daniel's book. I'm not just messing with your head. :-)
Sammy Loves Books
I love it when a Governess finds Love!!!

d

Scottish barrister Sinclair McBride's wife passed years ago. He's become a sad shell of a man and his kids have grown to be wild as hell. He can't keep a governess to save his life. That is, until Bertie comes along.

She's a pickpocket and straight from the gutter. But she is also beautiful, and his children love her.

What a wickedly sexy read!! Sinclair seduces his innocent governess into his bed, just as she seduces her way into his heart!!

The Mcbrides a
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠

I liked this, but the whole time I read this I kept thinking I'd already read this story before. It seemed very similar to another, but I guess the plot was a common one - unique woman comes into the family's life and helps tame the wild children and help the grief ridden father. It's a little Mary Poppins and Nanny McPhee, except Bertie is a Cockney pickpocket. That was a definite twist, her being so very unsuitable as a governess.

Despite feeling that I'd already read this story befor
Kimberly
Dec 17, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/10...

Rules for a Proper Governess is both touching and cheeky good fun. Jennifer Ashley’s seventh Mackenzies & McBrides novel is fast-moving, engrossing entertainment, thanks to the story’s utterly lovable characters.

Sinclair McBride has been a living ghost since the death of his wife. Though he fights passionately for what is right, the only reason he keeps going is his two children. It broke my heart that Sinclai
Lauren
Rules for a Proper Governess
4.5 Stars

Since the death of his wife, Sinclair McBride has lost his spark and struggles through the trials and tribulations of raising two equally damaged children. That is until the day he literally stumbles into beautiful pick-pocket, Bertie Frasier, who steals both his watch and his heart. Suddenly things are looking up for Sinclair, but someone out there has it in for him and is not above using Bertie to destroy his life …

After the disappointment of Daniel and Vi
Carmen
Oct 07, 2014 Carmen rated it it was amazing
This is a tough book to 5 star review, only because a reader will start reading this book thinking or hoping to become enraptured by another one of Ashley's Scottish heroes but it is the heroine, Bertie, who steals the show with such depth of character and feeling:

"You've done something to me, Basher McBride. I'll never be the same again, no matter how far I go or what I do, I'll never be just Bertie ever again. Some part of you will always be a part of me."

I loved every page she was on. I think
Pam
Aug 07, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite series; I fell in love with the MacKenzie’s from the first book and have read each as soon as I can. The men and the women they love are bold, brave and very sexy. This newest tale features a McBride brother and is a wonderful addition that I enjoyed immensely.

Sinclair McBride is a barrister in London. They call him Basher McBride because of his successful conviction record. However his personal life is not as triumphant; he is a grieving widow, even after seven years
Elaine
Apr 25, 2017 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Wonderful addition to a great series. The awesome heroine really made this book. Bertie was great. I loved her approach to just about everything. And I liked that although Sinclair was broken he didn't let it get in the way of his growing feelings for Bertie. I loved everything, the passion, the intrigue, the kids. In the usual Jennifer Ashley fashion we are treated to another captivating romance full of passion and intensity! Getting a glimpses of the MacKenzie's is an added bonus for me. Great ...more
Katie Michaels
Oct 02, 2014 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
Generally speaking, the McBride installments in Jennifer Ashley’s Highland Pleasures series just aren’t as strong as the ones focused on the MacKenzies. This book doesn’t buck the trend. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it. I did. I just didn’t love it as much as, say, The Many Sins of Lord Cameron, featuring the hero’s sister Ainsley. Of course, it’s through Ainsley that we met Sinclair. He was introduced as a brooding widower with two unruly children. Surprisingly, the heroine of this story is ...more
Lindsey Pogue
Mar 29, 2017 Lindsey Pogue rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. I've liked a few of them in the series, but I think this one was my favorite. It was different, fun, sexy, and not predictable at all. I kept wondering, "who dunnit?"
Chumchum_88
I thoroughly loved it. As expected from the amazing Jennifer Ashley.

Since Sinclair was introduced I was curious about him since single parents is one of my favorite sub-genres. And I have to say I loved Bertie she was so spunky and sassy, bold, courageous and forthright, she was the whole package.

- As the author kept mentioning in the book I just couldn't help but love Andrew.

- About Cat, I just couldn't understand why she in a way didn't trust her dad, couple of times when he extends his hand
Ilze
Mar 17, 2015 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jennifer-ashley
Jennifer Ashley's "Rules for a Proper Governess" (MacKenzie/McBride series #7)
Not bad, but not great either. All the MacKenzie/McBride men are basically the same character, with the exception of Ian MacKenzie, and the females are all pretty similar too, especially when they re-appear as ancillary characters in later books. Better stories with the lower-class thieving heroine snagging the rich upper-class hero have been written, e.g. Meredith Duran's "A Lady's Lesson in Scandal" and Julie Anne
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 04, 2014 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I liked it but didn't love it like I've loved past books in this series. I like the fact that the heroine is truly poor in this book - but the romance..something was missing. Sexual tension or something.

Review to come
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Woohoo! What a great cover! And very interesting blurb. Can't wait~
Lisa Creane
Oct 20, 2014 Lisa Creane rated it it was amazing
I get the feeling that Jennifer Ashley thought of the title and concept of the book long before she wrote it, and when the story itself came out differently, said "Hey, close enough" and kept them.

But this is not an Eliza Doolittle story about an East End pickpocket trying to become a Mayfair governess, and the one part of the storyline that's strained and unconvincing is about evil relatives wanting to use Bertie's lack of training for the position to gain custody of the children she cares for.
Kusanagi
(temps que je fasse une review, ça doit bien faire 3 jours que je l'ai fini ^^)

On retrouve dans ce roman un des frères d'Ainsley, Madame Cameron Mackenzie, donc retour chez les McBride. Mais vous en faites pas, on recroise les Mackenzie ^^ (doit être pour ça que j'aime bien l’Écosse, les Écossais, toussa, ils ont une notion de la famille qui est hyper-élargie.... voire intrusive.... on se croirait en Italie...XD )

ici le héros est Sinclair McBride, le frère avocat. Et veuf. Et père de deux petits
Julie
Sep 30, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
I'd pretty much given up on this series once Hart got married, but I'm glad I didn't, this was a happy surprise - albeit far fetched. It's the story of how Sinclair McBride, a successful barrister in London, who is also a widower with two small children - unruly children - finds love again in the least likely person. Yes, it's the old widower father falls for the governess trope, but the twist here is his governess is a Cockney pickpocket, Bertie, who unexpectedly winds up taking care of his chi ...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I’ve been hunting around for ages looking for a good book to read, but good ones have been few and far between. I desperately wanted that wonderful feeling you get when you’re reading something that is just so good, so enthralling. I’ve been resorting for months now to going back and rereading all my favourites just to get that lovely warm feeling.

This book was just like those, at last I found one! As soon as I read what it was about, I thought oh yes, this could be good, I was keen, as it has
Melissa
Dec 21, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-reads
I really liked the idea of a lower class girl getting to be the heroine - and it wasn't very "My Fair Lady"-ish, which was a worry. Bertie stayed very much Bertie. And Sinclair is another of Ashley's braw Scotsmen.

Wasn't too up on the whole Sinclair's-dead-wife's-family-is-a-bunch-of-self-righteous-jackasses side-plot, since it felt a bit unresolved but oh well.

I have to take issue with the order in which Ashley released the last several books in this series. Last fall was Daniel's book, the pre
Zoe
Dec 28, 2015 Zoe added it
Shelves: no-can-do
no rating, not my kind of heroine so won't read it.
L
Jul 28, 2013 L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars - Adult Historical Romance / 1885 - London, England.

RD: Oct. 7, 2014.
Whitney
Just 3 stars

I felt underwhelmed with this one. Everything was just meh.
Martha
Oct 07, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
Not one of her best efforts in the MacKenzie & McBride series. It was an unbelievable stretch for the hero to fall in love across class lines. The story did not engage me like the other ones.
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 11, 2012 Aly is so frigging bored rated it really liked it
4.5*
It was nice and all, but I don't think any of them will be as good as the 4 brothers
Cruth
Author: Jennifer Ashley
First published: 2014
Length: 4903 locations
Setting: London and Scotland, late 1880s. (Victorian)
Sex: Explicit but infrequent.
Hero: Ex-soldier, widower with children, barrister.
Heroine: Young London pickpocket who lives with her abusive father.
Family Tree: on author's website http://www.jennifersromances.com/NewS...
Includes: Excerpt from The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley.

Finally, a book I could really enjoy.
- Engaging characters who have history and depth
Smitten
Oct 09, 2014 Smitten rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, historicals
Originally posted on Smitten by Books Blog

To hell with what they say… there’s more to Historicals then Dukes and Earls. At least that’s what Jennifer Ashley is showing me with her latest highland hero, Sinclair McBride the Barrister. Or as they call him, Basher McBride. With a nickname like Basher, I can’t go wrong.

That’s not the only unconventional approach Ashley takes in this latest book in the Mackenzie series. No, I get a heroine who’s a thief from the streets. Bertie is her name and she’s
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Jan) My first thought is why did JA publish this after Daniel's book, when Daniel's book takes place about 5 years after this? Also - this was a perfect place to end the series. I'm not saying I won't continue, but I really wonder if we need to read about all the Mackenzie and McBride relatives and whatnots that sound like they'll be starring in the series next.

Ok, so Bertie is a pick pocket, lives w/her brutish dad, and is thrilled when barrister Sinclair McBride helps prove her friend is not
JoRead
Jan 08, 2014 JoRead rated it it was amazing
The thing I like mostly about Ms Ashley's characters is, well, that they never act out of character. If they are rakes, they are rakes until the end and they don't apologize for it. If they care about the rules of the ton, they care about the rules (at least whilst in their presence.) If they are controlling and like to feel omnipotent (I'm talking to you Hart) they will be so and even their partners enjoy that. I knew she would not disappoint me with the newest release.
Bertie comes from the Ea
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 06:47AM
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Rogue with a Brogue (Scandalous Highlanders, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Once Upon a Tartan (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • Highland Ever After (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #3)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Mackenzies & McBrides (10 books)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)

“You have all these wonders, but you barely notice them. Everything is a delight—don’t you know that?” Sinclair” 0 likes
“Teach me about the delights,” Sinclair said after a time, his voice low. “I can’t see the wonders anymore. Show me what you see, Bertie. Please.” 0 likes