Start by marking “Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)” as Want to Read:
Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)

Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides #7)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,564 ratings  ·  184 reviews
To Kiss A Thief...

Scottish barrister Sinclair McBride can face the most sinister criminals in London - but the widower’s two unruly children are a different matter. Little Caitlin and Andrew go through a governess a week, sending the ladies fleeing in tears.

Roberta “Bertie” Frasier enters Sinclair’s life by stealing his watch - and then stealing a kiss. Intrigued by the
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Rules for a Proper Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules for a Proper Governess

Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover by Sarah MacLeanDarling Beast by Elizabeth HoytRules for a Proper Governess by Jennifer AshleyHow the Scoundrel Seduces by Sabrina JeffriesOnce More, My Darling Rogue by Lorraine Heath
2014 Historical Romance (July - December)
3rd out of 277 books — 733 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
183rd out of 2,661 books — 15,919 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Ashley
Sinclair McBride's story (Sinclair is the older brother of Ainsley (McBride) Mackenzie, and Elliot McBride). Bertie Frasier is a governess. Of sorts. Full-length novel. Please see for why Rules takes place before Daniel's book. I'm not just messing with your head. :-)
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin:

Rules for a Proper Governess is both touching and cheeky good fun. Jennifer Ashley’s seventh Mackenzies & McBrides novel is fast-moving, engrossing entertainment, thanks to the story’s utterly lovable characters.

Sinclair McBride has been a living ghost since the death of his wife. Though he fights passionately for what is right, the only reason he keeps going is his two children. It broke my heart that Sinclai
Rules for a Proper Governess
4.5 Stars

Since the death of his wife, Sinclair McBride has lost his spark and struggles through the trials and tribulations of raising two equally damaged children. That is until the day he literally stumbles into beautiful pick-pocket, Bertie Frasier, who steals both his watch and his heart. Suddenly things are looking up for Sinclair, but someone out there has it in for him and is not above using Bertie to destroy his life …

After the disappointment of Daniel and Vi
Oct 07, 2014 Carmen added it
This is a tough book to 5 star review, only because a reader will start reading this book thinking or hoping to become enraptured by another one of Ashley's Scottish heroes but it is the heroine, Bertie, who steals the show with such depth of character and feeling:

"You've done something to me, Basher McBride. I'll never be the same again, no matter how far I go or what I do, I'll never be just Bertie ever again. Some part of you will always be a part of me."

I loved every page she was on. I think
This is one of my favorite series; I fell in love with the MacKenzie’s from the first book and have read each as soon as I can. The men and the women they love are bold, brave and very sexy. This newest tale features a McBride brother and is a wonderful addition that I enjoyed immensely.

Sinclair McBride is a barrister in London. They call him Basher McBride because of his successful conviction record. However his personal life is not as triumphant; he is a grieving widow, even after seven years
Mandi Schreiner
I liked it but didn't love it like I've loved past books in this series. I like the fact that the heroine is truly poor in this book - but the romance..something was missing. Sexual tension or something.

Review to come
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Generally speaking, the McBride installments in Jennifer Ashley’s Highland Pleasures series just aren’t as strong as the ones focused on the MacKenzies. This book doesn’t buck the trend. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it. I did. I just didn’t love it as much as, say, The Many Sins of Lord Cameron, featuring the hero’s sister Ainsley. Of course, it’s through Ainsley that we met Sinclair. He was introduced as a brooding widower with two unruly children. Surprisingly, the heroine of this story is ...more
Jennifer Ashley's "Rules for a Proper Governess" (MacKenzie/McBride series #7)
Not bad, but not great either. All the MacKenzie/McBride men are basically the same character, with the exception of Ian MacKenzie, and the females are all pretty similartoo, especially when they re-appear as ancillary characters in later books. Better storieswiththe lower-class thievingheroine snaggingthe rich upper-class hero have been written, e.g. Meredith Duran's "A Lady's Lesson in Scandal" and Julie Anne Long's
(temps que je fasse une review, ça doit bien faire 3 jours que je l'ai fini ^^)

On retrouve dans ce roman un des frères d'Ainsley, Madame Cameron Mackenzie, donc retour chez les McBride. Mais vous en faites pas, on recroise les Mackenzie ^^ (doit être pour ça que j'aime bien l’Écosse, les Écossais, toussa, ils ont une notion de la famille qui est hyper-élargie.... voire intrusive.... on se croirait en Italie...XD )

ici le héros est Sinclair McBride, le frère avocat. Et veuf. Et père de deux petits
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Woohoo! What a great cover! And very interesting blurb. Can't wait~
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I’ve been hunting around for ages looking for a good book to read, but good ones have been few and far between. I desperately wanted that wonderful feeling you get when you’re reading something that is just so good, so enthralling. I’ve been resorting for months now to going back and rereading all my favourites just to get that lovely warm feeling.

This book was just like those, at last I found one! As soon as I read what it was about, I thought oh yes, this could be good, I was keen, as it has
Lisa Creane
I get the feeling that Jennifer Ashley thought of the title and concept of the book long before she wrote it, and when the story itself came out differently, said "Hey, close enough" and kept them.

But this is not an Eliza Doolittle story about an East End pickpocket trying to become a Mayfair governess, and the one part of the storyline that's strained and unconvincing is about evil relatives wanting to use Bertie's lack of training for the position to gain custody of the children she cares for.
I really liked the idea of a lower class girl getting to be the heroine - and it wasn't very "My Fair Lady"-ish, which was a worry. Bertie stayed very much Bertie. And Sinclair is another of Ashley's braw Scotsmen.

Wasn't too up on the whole Sinclair's-dead-wife's-family-is-a-bunch-of-self-righteous-jackasses side-plot, since it felt a bit unresolved but oh well.

I have to take issue with the order in which Ashley released the last several books in this series. Last fall was Daniel's book, the pre
Originally posted on Smitten by Books Blog

To hell with what they say… there’s more to Historicals then Dukes and Earls. At least that’s what Jennifer Ashley is showing me with her latest highland hero, Sinclair McBride the Barrister. Or as they call him, Basher McBride. With a nickname like Basher, I can’t go wrong.

That’s not the only unconventional approach Ashley takes in this latest book in the Mackenzie series. No, I get a heroine who’s a thief from the streets. Bertie is her name and she’s
Another lovely story from Jennifer Ashley. She's certainly one of my favourite authors. I love her writing, I love her characters, and I love everything about this series.
I don't want this series to end, but alas, I know it will. I'll just have to read these books again from the beginning.
A lovely 5 stars once again!
Aly is so frigging bored
It was nice and all, but I don't think any of them will be as good as the 4 brothers
2 stars - Adult Historical Romance / 1885 - London, England.

RD: Oct. 7, 2014.
Actually 4.5stars

Sassy, scrappy East End pickpocket Roberta "Bertie" Frasier is bewitched by QC Sinclair McBride's Scotitsh brogue. While she's happy his skills helped her friend evade a prison term for a crime she hadn't committed, she knew her father and her boyfriend would beat her senseless if she didn't do something to hurt McBride since he put the right person, their partner in crime, in jail.

Sinclair is still grieving the loss of his wife, more than five years later and the last gift she
Relu... enfin lu en VF ^^ (oui, je tenais à lire la VF comme j'ai lu les autres aussi.... bref)

Bon j'aime toujours autant et je m'en était déjà rendu compte en VO, mais les scènes de sexe sont quand même super-hot. Sinclair.... wow....(il a bien gagné son surnom lui)

Je vais quand même râler un peu, parce que comme d'habitude, la VF résume légèrement certains passages (ça c'est amélioré, ce ne sont plus des passages entier qui saute)mais voilà. C'est frustrant. Et surtout parfois on se rends comp
Sympa mais un Sinclair n'est pas un Mackenzie. Même s'il reste un highlander

Nous découvrons ici l'un des frères d'Ainsley, la femme de Cameron Mackenzie et sa petite famille. Jeune veuf, ce magistrat en vogue doit un jour faire face à un pickpocket un peu particulier. Lorsque, quelques jours après la tentative de vol, il la découvre chez lui à la place de la nourrice, Sinclair est furieux. Comment cette jeune femme, qui a toujours vécu dans la rue, pourrait prendre soin de ses enfants ? Il se re
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Jan) My first thought is why did JA publish this after Daniel's book, when Daniel's book takes place about 5 years after this? Also - this was a perfect place to end the series. I'm not saying I won't continue, but I really wonder if we need to read about all the Mackenzie and McBride relatives and whatnots that sound like they'll be starring in the series next.

Ok, so Bertie is a pick pocket, lives w/her brutish dad, and is thrilled when barrister Sinclair McBride helps prove her friend is not
This installment of in “The MacKenzie’s and The McBride’s” series tells Sinclair McBride and Roberta Frasier’s story. And what an excellent story it is!!

Sinclair McBride is a barrister better known as Basher McBride. He known and feared by the criminal element in London for his success in prosecuting criminals. Bertie is a pickpocket, who is trying to get away from a life of crime forced on her by her father.

After their first interesting meeting when Bertie picks Sinclair’s pocket, their relati
Author: Jennifer Ashley
First published: 2014
Length: 4903 locations
Setting: London and Scotland, late 1880s. (Victorian)
Sex: Explicit but infrequent.
Hero: Ex-soldier, widower with children, barrister.
Heroine: Young London pickpocket who lives with her abusive father.
Family Tree: on author's website
Includes: Excerpt from The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley.

Finally, a book I could really enjoy.
- Engaging characters who have history and depth
The thing I like mostly about Ms Ashley's characters is, well, that they never act out of character. If they are rakes, they are rakes until the end and they don't apologize for it. If they care about the rules of the ton, they care about the rules (at least whilst in their presence.) If they are controlling and like to feel omnipotent (I'm talking to you Hart) they will be so and even their partners enjoy that. I knew she would not disappoint me with the newest release.
Bertie comes from the Ea
The first thing I have to get out of the way is the discrepancy in the timeline. Daniel Mackenzie (Book 6) is only nineteen in this book and still living at home. So, obviously, Rules for a Proper Governess should fall somewhere before Daniel's book. Did it make a difference in my enjoyment of the story? Not at all, but I am compulsive about reading a series in order and Daniel threw me.

Sinclair McBride is still grieving for his bride even though she died many years earlier. He buries himself in
A great story of barrister Sinclair McBride. He is a widower with two children that no governess has been able to control. He is still grieving for his late wife 8 years later. The only time he seems to come alive is when he is in court. So he works alot.

Bertie happened to be in one of his court sessions. He was masterful in proving her friend innocent. Roberta is a pickpocket from the East End. Her father put her up to lifting something from Sinclair after the trial. Her father was brutal. So s
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
"Are you sure you're not Scottish?"
"No. But I'm Cockney, and we're pretty tough."

Rules for a Proper Governess is a light-hearted and sweet, although it doesn't compare to the earlier books in the series. The heroine, a street-wise woman, is an optimist and will steal a kiss when she feels the urge. The class difference doesn't serve as an obstacle, so set aside the expectation for a historically accurate romance. The hero and heroine have just enough dimension to make their romance enjoyable.
This book was like a roller coaster: one chapter I'm loving it, and the next chapter I'm feeling bored. It was not my favorite in this series but I there were definitely parts I liked. I appreciated Bertie as a heroine. I was a bit heartbroken when Cat dropped her doll. Most of the time I found Sinclair an interesting hero. There were also things I didn't like. The conflict was a bit blah. I think I would have liked it more if the conflict was more centered around the fact that the hero and hero ...more
Fabiola Chenet
J'adore toujours cet univers de Jennifer Ashley avec ses supers personnages et tout le clan qui se réunit. Et les enfants qui sont au top. A lire.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 06:47AM
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • Rogue with a Brogue (Scandalous Highlanders, #2)
  • The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7)
  • Highland Ever After (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregors, #3)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #2)
  • Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at,, and
More about Jennifer Ashley...

MacKenzies & McBrides (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Untamed MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5.5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Scandal And The Duchess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6.5)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1) Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)