Start by marking “As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)

As They Slip Away (Across the Universe #2.5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,866 ratings  ·  287 reviews
Taking place on the spaceship Godspeed before Amy Martin wakes up and Elder takes leadership, this novella describes life at the Hospital during Eldest's reign. Focusing primarily on background characters, readers will see fan-favorite characters Harley, Orion, Victria, and more.

Selene is a singer on a spaceship that only values people who can provide important skills that
Published January 11th 2013

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
24th out of 526 books — 1,047 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton
Books to read in 2013
67th out of 161 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Ferdy
Spoilers

This was pretty sad. It focuses on Selene and the story behind her death. I really wanted her to have a HEA because she had such a rubbish life — she wasn't close with her parents, she was classed as mental so she had to live at the hospital, her friends left her out of everything, the boy she was in love with was obsessed with someone else and the boy (Luthor) that started paying her attention was an evil creep. I didn't expect to like Selene so much, she was far more relatable than Amy
Teresinha
Dočteno! A je to vážně povedené. Absolutní must-read pro všechny fanoušky téhle vesmírné trilogie. Beth Revisová se zase trošku přiblížila stylu prvního dílu, který se mi líbil nejvíc. Je to chytré, střízlivé, zajímavé... od pátku do středy si to taky budete moci přečíst česky :)

Kimberly

Wow. I just finished reading As They Slip Away, and that’s the only word I can think of. If you’re looking for something to read this weekend, this is it! It’s a 48 page novella in the Across the Universe series, the final book of which comes out in just a few days! You can download the novella for free and transfer it to your Kindle or Nook, or you can simply read it on the website.

The novella gives us a glimpse of both the most beloved character and the most despised character in the Across t
Amy
This was a neat idea. The author of one of my favorite series released a chapter of a day of her bonus novella the week before the release of the 3rd book in the Across the Universe series. You just had to bounce around the web where she was guest-blogging to get a new chapter each day.

However ...

I hate to say ...

This read like horrible fan fiction revisiting some of the lesser characters from previous books. And of all characters I might have wanted to revisit, the insane rapist was not one of
Petra Sýkorová
Bonusová novelka, kterou jste si mohli přečíst na speciální blogtour a která je také k dostání přímo na stránkách nakladatelství CooBoo. Já se k ní pořádně dostala teprve teď, protože v době probíhající blogtour jsem nebyla v dosahu počítače a později na to čtení nějak nebyl čas. Ale protože jsem si dala předsevzetí, že dočtu všechny započaté knižní série, abych si mohla udělat konečně zářez na posteli a protože nesnáším nedokončené série, vrhla jsem se na Vesmír.

Anotace v podstatě říká vše, o c
Mada
Really hated what happened to Selene and the way it ended.
Becky
This is set before the main series starts, but is definitely one for the fans. It features characters that we meet in the background of Across the Universe. Of course Harley plays a part but this mainly focuses on Selene.
Selene lives in the hospital wing where they are all classed as 'loons' those with artistic talents get put there, they are now being given a chance to enhance their skills, some may serve a purpose on the ship later, as a singer Selene knows she is pretty useless but when Lutho
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
was pretty good, had some nice insight into characters i'm seeing in A Million Suns....i didn't remember much from the first one.....more of it came back to me when i started reading the second book....

there were some MAJOR formatting issues....and throughout the book, the wall food is referred to as a meast pasty.....i thought that was a paste-like meat substance, but in the seconf book, it's a meat pastRy....pastry makes much more sense....there was a line break every 2 lines, whether it was a
Vanessa
I recently read Across the Universe and although I really like it one of my critiques was that it didn't really explore the society. So I was hoping that this book would address that and give us more layers to work it. Now I must say that even though I liked this book I don’t think that it was up to the job in that aspect.

This book tells us the story us Selena, a singer that lived on the Hospital before Elder and that Amy met briefly in Across the Universe. It was a sad story because from the ve
Trisha
It was so great to get to read this and step back into this world for just a moment. It was also really interesting to see the world from Selene's perspective - and see a different side of Harley and to meet some of the characters of the the story we didn't know.

Luther. That guy STILL sucks, though.
Isa Lavinia
As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #0.5) So creepy I don't even know if I want to read the rest of the series...
Emily May
This was beautifully-written and sad... but wasn't long enough to have the full effect that it should have done.
Thalia
Jan 17, 2014 Thalia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Diehards of "Across the Universe"
Read the review on my blog:
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
So sad, and so effective. Mournful, and lonely. Beth Revis, why must you tear my heart out?
Kristilyn
One of my favourite series is the Across the Universe series. I was completely taken with the first book the moment I started reading it and I currently wait on pins and needles to read the third (and sadly, last) book in the series. I mean, Beth Revis makes sci-fi cool and accessible -- there's nothing wrong with that!

I was crazy happy when I saw that there was a novella available for the series -- a kind of prequel when Amy just arrives on Godspeed. But we don't get to see Amy's point of view.
Maria
I recommend As They Slip Away.

...poor Selene. Although this e-novella proved just how deranged Luthor is.

And I did learn something about Victria, Bartie, Kayleigh, and Harley. Why they acted the way they did in Across the Universe and A Million Suns. It made me realized how Elder's friends are still human regardless of the effects of Godspeed and Eldest's rule among them.

I saw how their friendships were before it fell apart, through Selene's eyes, who felt like an outsider among them. I miss Har
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
NOTE: I have not read ANY of the main books. I read this out of curiosity if I would like to read any of the main books. I mean I have so many books to read as it is already lol.

I really loved the Greek aspects ingrained in this story.

However I felt distant between myself and the narrator (it's in 1st POV) and the way certain characters were done and whatnot just frustrated me. Personally I would have liked the personality unfold even by a little bit and not someone jumping to the rescue saying
Bella
I didn't LOVE this mini side story. But I did like learning about the sprouting of Harley's and Kayleighs relationship. It was heartbreaking to read more about Harley since his death hit me so hard. I didn't really care about the others, and that's probably why I didn't really find this short story amazing.

Still, I cried in the end. I loved how Revis ended the story.

The whole time with Luther I was like

description

and then when he showed his true colors

description

"At least I died in a song"

HARLEY AND KAYLEIGH

Robin & Fo
This little story is about the life on Goodspeed through the eyes of Selene, seven years before Amy wakes up
Selene lives at the hospital with Harley, Bartie, Luthor, Victia and Kayleigh.

I liked it!
Though the story is creepy and kind of unsettling..
It's nice to see the ship from another POV, and gives you a weird feeling reading it from Selene's POV after she decided that she doesn't want to care anymore and cares for the rabbits instead.
This has a foreboding feeling throughout the whole story
Braiden
Besides to show us more of Luthor's "wickedness" I don't really get what the point of this novella was. And to think for the first three chapters I thought the point of view was Elder's and not this Selene... haha. What a dud I am.
Maddie
What a sad novella! I had tears on my eyes after finishing this one. Although it can be creepy, and eerie at the same time too.

I couldn't help but feel pitiful towards Selene. She didn't deserved all that shit Luthor did. And Luthor pissed me off so much, I wish he was alive so I could stab him in the eye. I was also moved knowing how Kayleigh and Harley's relationship was. I'm like, damn. Now I understand why Harley's so heart broken over Kayleigh.

I recommend this book to be read after finishi
Louisa
Pretty darn sad short story, about Selene, the rabbit girl, and Luthor, when they were both in the Hospital, and before Elder joined them, about 7 years before the start of the series. Great short story though!
Spirit
Nebylo to špatné, ale ani nic světoborného.
Revisová si stále udržuje stejný styl psaní i v této povídce, která je na můj vkus trochu krátká a dalo se z ní vytřískat mnohem víc.
Ale ten konec... I'm sad... :/
Marco
Sad and beautiful. Really liked it. Loved to find out more about Selene, Kayleigh, Harley and more.. Liked the way the author discussed this and connected all the characters.
Drucilla
Feb 26, 2013 Drucilla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: r
There wasn't anything really wrong with it. I just found it boring. It didn't really add anything to the universe in my opinion.
Becky
I've read all three of the Across the Universe books, and I always felt like the story was more plot driven than plot driven. Don't get me wrong, characterization has been wonderful in those three books, but it was nice to have a character driven story pre-Amy.

The writing was lovely. I felt like I connected with Selene so much in such a short time. Her addled narration was amazing and she was a very likable character. The plot was chilling and fast paced.

My only issue: I want more!!! This was br
Andrea
Thanks to Bookriot, I learned that Beth Revis wrote a novella prequel to Across the Universe, which is my favorite YA dystopian trilogy as a whole (Meaning, each book was great and the last one didn't fall off the rails like The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner, Matched, etc etc etc - all fantastic, all they all fall apart IMHO.) As They Slip Away was a rather melancholy story of one of the peripheral characters and how she chose to become a drone on Godspeed (the spaceship where the sto ...more
Navdha
All I can think about after finishing it is:

"What was the point?"

Where to Find (Free) - January 11, 2013 8 32 Mar 26, 2014 07:08PM
Dystopia Land: Free Novella - Across the Universe Series by Beth Revis 1 21 Apr 21, 2013 07:25AM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow (All Our Yesterdays, #1.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
Beth Revis wrote her first books as a student in classrooms, when the professors did not hold her interest and she jotted down stories instead of taking notes.

Beth writes science fiction and fantasy novels for teens. Her debut novel, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, will be published by Razorbill/Penguin in Spring 2011. Beth is represented by Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House.

Beth also runs a blog on writing
More about Beth Revis...

Across the Universe (3 books)
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) The Body Electric Love Is A Choice (Across the Universe, #0.6)