Start by marking “Crochet One-Skein Wonders” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Finally, a One-Skein Wonders book just for crocheters! Edie Eckman and Judith Durant offer 101 great crochet projects--from jewelry and scarves to bags, hats, dresses, and home dec items--that each use just one skein of yarn. Whatever your experience level, you'll find something here to delight you!
Published March 6th 2013 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Crochet One-Skein Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crochet One-Skein Wonders

I got this book a while ago already.
First I thought : What on earth can you make with only one skein in crochet, as it need more yarn than knitting....
Well, did I get a surprise!
So many cute little pattern for only one skein of yarn! Not only hats or scarves, but lace shawls and fingerless gloves, doll clothes and children's clothes and topping it off are some of the cutest felted purses ever. If you would like to know: I am going to make the little felted purse. The one with the leaves applique
As someone who often doesn't have the attention span for larger projects, I have long been a fan of the "One-Skein Wonders" series, edited by Judith Durant and published by Storey. We all have those single skeins of yarn kicking around -- leftovers from another project, perhaps, or expensive yarns we could only justify buying one of -- and these books contain patterns for dozens of items using these small amounts of yarn.

While the other "One-Skein" books have included crochet projects, this is t
I haven't done a lot of crochet lately, because it hurts my hands. I've been doing more knitting. But there are patterns in this book that make me want to get out the hooks again. I'm especially happy to see beautiful, up-to-date patterns for thread crochet, something that had been relegated to doily making in recent years.

There are an abundance of patterns using various weights of yarn and thread, something for everyone, I think, from easy dishcloth patterns to more complicated thread crochet,
Cas H.
When I look for a crochet book, I look for something that would be easy to understand and easy to use.
I am still a beginning crocheter, when it comes to patterns, and I don't always understand the abbreviations.
I am looking for a book to describe the patterns and abbreviations in a way that even a beginner can understand.
I looked through all the patterns first, they seemed easy enough, and even had pictures. Then when I finished looking at the patterns, I looked at the back of the book and foun
There are some really great patterns here. I especially liked the baby booties that you can see on the cover. They turned out great! The book was well laid out, so even on an e-reader I was able to navigate it.
This has a nice collection of smaller crochet projects. There are color photos for every project and the instructions seem to be nice and clear (I haven't actually made anything out of it yet).
Nov 30, 2014 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Experienced Crocheters
Recommended to Allison by: Random Search
This turned out to be a much more enjoyable crochet pattern book than I expected. The patterns are organized by yarn weight - something that is very helpful for me because I tend to have difficulty choosing the correct yarn for projects. Each pattern is colorfully illustrated and has BOTH grid-style patterns as well as written directions.

As someone who works patterns from written out directions (with the exception of filet designs) I feel like using this book with its combination of grids and w
I was given this book by Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.
I believe you would call my crochet expertise level intermediate at best.
Because of this, so my times I see crochet pattern books that are just so above my me.

That cannot be said of this book. So many patterns, my little pile of yarn is surely going to dwindle, I want to make all of them!! And I believe with these easy to follow patterns that I would be capable.
I am going to have so much fun with my hooks and this book!!
I find one skein crochet books exciting because there are so many possibilities with yarn you already have on hand. Well, mostly on hand anyway. I know the book is divided into yarn weights, but when I keep seeing yarns like Blue Sky Alpaca Worsted Hand Dyes I start wondering how the project will work out with my leftover skein of Red Heart Super Saver. It would also be nice if a skill level were included with each project. I don't mind looking up stitches online, but will I have sleepless night ...more
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
I received this book free via Netgalley for an honest review.

Let me start off by saying that I have been crocheting since I was a teenager and I only do it during the winter months. I am still at an intermediate skill level so often times books are way too advanced for me.
In this book however I was able to easily follow along and complete several of the projects! I have since then purchased a hardcopy of One Skein Wonders for myself as well as one for a gift. I would definitely recommend this
Full Disclosure: I received a digital advanced reader's copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

I have but one complaint about this book: where are the difficulty guides?

This book is full of great projects, and as it says, they truly are projects from around the world--particularly, it features several amigurumi projects and several projects that feature Tunisian crochet. Variety is certainly not lacking here--there are plenty of hat and scarf patterns, as part of the typical crochet fare (espe
Large, well-produced pattern book by an author whose work I generally enjoy, but I found most of these designs to be, well, if not exactly "ewwww....", then at least not very inspiring or interesting.

Arranged by pattern weight, while most of the the designs are capable of being made up using one skein of yarn, she doees "cheat" a mite with some of the baby afghans, using "pound of" type skeins, a subterfuge likely entered into as she became as tired of the hats, gloves, toys (icky ones, mostly,
As seen on The Everyday Reader

Thanks to Netgalley and Storey Publishing.

Crochet One-Skein Wonders is the latest in the one-skein series from Storey Publishing and the first dedicated solely to crochet. It contains 101 patterns over seven different weights of yarn, including scarves, clothing, toys, jewelry, bags and more.

There are lots of things to like about Crochet One-Skein Wonders. And I mean LOTS. It’s an extremely well-thought out book. Patterns are given in both text and diagram form, ho
Featuring 101 Projects From Crocheters Around The World variety is very much at work here in this nearly 300 page book. The projects are divided up into seven categories reflecting the weight of the skein. The explanation of those weights can be found in the glossary as are explanations of the techniques needed, abbreviations used, and other helpful information. Instead of being at the front of the book as usually happens that informative stuff is at the back so that Crochet One-Skein Wonders be ...more
A lovely book to help you use up all of your yarn scraps!

If you are a crocheter, or knitter, you probably have tons of left over yarn with no clue what to make with it. But this fun book has 101 crochet projects to help you solve that problem, and most of them make wonderful gifts!

For me the only real problem with this book was that I don't have a lot of left over fine yarns laying around because they are so expensive, so there were quite a few projects that I wasn't able to attempt. But I liked
Julie Barrett
101 Projects from Crocheters around the World by Judith Durant, Edie Eckman
As I've accumulated many balls of yarns in varying weights I thought this would be the perfect book for me to read.
Love knitting for charity and that I can make things fast if they are the smaller projects.
Love how this book is broken up into chapters by the weight of the yarn. I have never seen one like this and it's very helpful when I pull out a ball of sport weight yarn, the ideas I get from t
Dawn Peterson

This book is almost a 'one stop shop.' It gives patterns for all different kinds of things using all different kinds of yarn. I got this book a long time ago and reference it often. Patterns are easy to follow and work up beautifully. I rarely have the same yarns used in the pattern but they still turn out well. There are great pictures for every pattern. This is a must have.
Deb Pease
Good for using up yarns

Not a lot of items that I would personally crochet but a good book for someone who likes to crochet anything as a hobby. Not a great choice for a kindle on many patterns. Too hard to go back and forth for directions. I work better with all instructions printed out for me, but again, not a bad book for using up your skeins of yarn.
Loved this book so much I bought it.
I hate books that call for 15 balls of yarn that are $20 each. Amazing all the things you can make from just one skein. Very good instructions, and include the weight and number of yards in each skein so you can always sub. another yarn. I spin my own yarn, so this is important to me.
It's also categorized from thread to bulky.
I love this book! Got it from the library on a rainy winters day, and have been stash busting for four weeks! Made a short cape, several scarves and a couple nice bags! I'm putting this on my used book wish list! The instructions are clear and easy to follow, and the lay out of the book makes it simple to find a project for the yarn at hand.
Lauren Russell
The book has some great patterns. It's very easy to understand however for me there wasn't a huge amount of patterns I would actually use. If you use fine yarn there's lots of patterns but if you like to use a medium weight like I do there isn't really a whole lot. Overall I was happy with it I just haven't completed a lot of the pattena
Tina Depew
Lots of projects

I'm not sure that I would make everything in the book, but it has a lot of potential projects that I think I would like to make.
I like having this easy-to-use kindle version on my kindle fire HDX. I could see myself taking several skeins of yarn on road trips and making a few items.
Katy M

Something for everyone in 7 yarn weights from thread to bulky. 109 projects from jewelry to wearable to home. An appendix with crochet stitch instructions, other techniques, yarn weight guide, abbreviation and symbol guides.
I highly recommend this book. In my opinion, not for absolute beginners.
I thought this was a pretty neat book. There's so many projects that you can do with one thing of yarn. I probably won't use all of the patterns, but even the ones that I doubt I'll ever make are still pretty awesome. It has easy to follow instructions and diagrams.
I checked this book out from the library, but I like it so much that I'm going to have to get my own copy sometime soon.
Rhonda Gayle
if you are looking for some great patterns to crochet, check this book out. The projects all use one skein of yarn so they can be completed quickly and make great carry-along projects. The illustrations are bright and colorful. The directions are easy to follow. There are projects for all levels of crocheting expertise, from beginner to advanced. These all make wonderful gifts or nice items to keep and use yourself. There are 101 projects included so you will definitely get your money's worth ou ...more
this book has bueayfull full colourfull photos with very easy patten steps to follow I live this book my mum got it for me for my 25 birthday, I have yet to do any of the patterns but have plans to as I am currently working on two different projets- a scaf and a t-shrit.
Lots of fun projects

I've just bought and skimmed through this book and already marked five or six things to make. Fun book with lots of fun projects, arranged by yarn weight. It's a great addition to your arsenal of stash buster patterns.
Feb 08, 2013 Nadia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To all thos that crochet
Recommended to Nadia by: Netgalley
I absolutely love Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects From Crocheters
Around the World edited by Judith Durant & Edie Eckman. There are many fun ideas that I plan to make. I really fell in love with the Blooming Blossom Coaster Set. It is made with 100% cotton thread. This will be the first project I make. Anyone who loves crochet will love this book. There is something for everyone, from the Blooming Blossom Coaster Set, for anyone to Niles the Crocodile, for the little ones, to jewelry
Some cute stuff. It's organized by type of yarn which is nice except that I don't know the difference between some of them such as fine weight and light weight and they don't explain it. There is a chart near the end of the book, but it uses completely different terms.

Several of the projects look like they would require much less than a skein and would be good for scraps.

There is a bag pattern on page 185 that looks nice but like it would stretch more in length than in width. Unfortunately this
Gerry Morgan
a really fun book

It was such a pleasure to buy a book and feel like I got more than my money's worth. Thank you. Loved the clear instructions and the pics. Now you need to do a book on rug hooking!
  • Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes
  • Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
  • Crochet Boutique: 30 Simple, Stylish Hats, Bags & Accessories
  • 75 Floral Blocks to Crochet: Beautiful Patterns to Mix and Match for Afghans, Throws, Baby Blankets, and More
  • 100 Colorful Granny Squares to Crochet: Dozens of Mix and Match Combos and Fabulous Projects
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Crochet Inspiration
  • The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches
  • Knits for Nerds: 30 Projects: Science Fiction, Comic Books, Fantasy
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting
  • Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • 100 Quilt Blocks from the House of Tula Pink: Modern Blocks as Unique as You
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
Judith Durant is a knitter and beadworker as well as author and editor of several books on both subjects. Trained as a theatrical costume designer, she took a circuitous route through various costume shops in New York, on to a New York theatrical book publishing house, and then to Interweave Press in Colorado, where she was book editor and one of the founding editors of Interweave Knits.

Judith is
More about Judith Durant...