Start by marking “Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition” as Want to Read:
Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition

Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition (Tor.com Anthologies)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  337 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A collection of some of the best original short fiction published on Tor.com in 2012. Includes stories by Elizabeth Bear, Adam Troy Castro, Paul Cornell, Kathryn Cramer, Brit Mandelo, Pat Murphy, Charles Stross, Michael Swanwick, Rachel Swirsky, and Gene Wolfe.
Published January 1st 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Some of the Best from Tor.com, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some of the Best from Tor.com

blasphemy: 3
Bechdel Test: PASS
Deggan's Rule: PASS
Gay Bechdel Test: PASS

Please note: I don't review to provide synopses, I review to share a purely visceral reaction to books and perhaps answer some of the questions I ask when I'm contemplating investing time and money into a book.

A list of shorts with the likes of Swanwick, Stross, and Bear? Yes Please! This was one of those "you might also like..." suggestions from That Monolithic Online R

Tushar Damle
Dec 31, 2013 Tushar Damle rated it liked it
Shelves: free-books
I like short stories. I also like to explore new sci-fi and fantasy authors. Reading anthologies is a win-win for me as I can do both at the same time. The fact that this particular anthology is also available for free on Kindle is an icing on the cake. I will update this review as I finish each of the short stories.

Dormanna by Gene Wolfe: I’m not sure if what I took from the story is what the author wanted to convey, but it was a good story and written well. 3/5 stars.

The Portrait of Lisane de
Joel Neff
Sep 24, 2013 Joel Neff rated it it was amazing
Dormanna by Gene Wolfe
Beautiful, quiet portrait of alien, or perhaps fairy visitation, and how even the smallest of things can have profound effects in our lives. 5/5

Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia by Rachel Swirsky
The vividness with which this story was written stayed with me long after the actual story did; Rachel Swirsky wrote as if she were painting, and created a layered, delicate, intricate story of love and death. 5/5

The Mongolian Wizard by Michael Swanwick
Where do I get more of this? This
Metaphorosis
Nov 10, 2013 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev
This is a stronger collection than the 2011 edition, perhaps because it was less self-consciously global - the stories were better, but had a narrower reach. There were no weak stories here. Some were no more than adequate, but a number were quite strong. The anthology came closer than 2011's to fulfilling the goal of a simple collection of good stories.

In particular, I enjoyed:
"Portrait of Lisane de Patagna", by Rachel Swirsky, about a painter, her instructor, and magic. The ending could have
Princessjay
May 11, 2014 Princessjay rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I enjoyed almost all of the short stories in this collection.

Dormana - Gene Wolfe. 4 STARS. So simple, so sweet. (view spoiler)

Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia - Rachel Swirsky. 3.5 STARS. In an alternate Renaissance Italy, art is combination of paint and magic. To paint something with magic is to destroy it. Lisane was famous for her painting and bed-hopping, as she taught and slept
Marissa
Jan 21, 2013 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I am completely hooked to the anthologies that Tor has been releasing - and for free, no less! This was a strong anthology that contained stories ranging across a variety of topics - everything from a young girl with an imaginary friend and a trip to the Wild West to war, magic, art, and time travel. A very enjoyable collection.
Jul 01, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-on-kindle, 2014
The inevitable problem with short story anthologies is that one likes some of the stories better than others. And although there were gems in this collection, how much I disliked the ones that didn't do it for me far far outweighed how much I liked the ones that did.

Dormanna by Gene Wolfe: 2/5

The Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia by Rachel Swirsky: 4/5

The Mongolian Wizard by Michael Swanwick: 4/5

A Tall Tail by Charles Stross: 2.5/5

Ghosts of Christmas Past by Paul Cornell: 3/5

Finite Canvas by Brit
Sidsel Pedersen
Feb 25, 2013 Sidsel Pedersen rated it really liked it
I am going to write a little of what I thought about each story. Oh and this is a free e-book, so go grab it!

Dormanna: My note says "such a cute story", lets see if I can say bit more shall we ;) This is a adorable story about a girl befriending a little speck of something. The story is adorable, and by fare the lightest in the collection.

Lortrait of Lisane de Patagnia: Really good gothic story. Full of melloncoly and wishing for a past that never were. Beautiful and dark!

The Mongolian Wizard: A
Joe Martin
Nov 17, 2014 Joe Martin rated it really liked it
The title gives a decent clue about what this is. Tor.com publishes a new short story every week. The editors collected the best stories from 2012 into this volume.

All of these stories are worth reading. I had a few particular favorites.

* "The Mongolian Wizard" by Michael Swanwick. A young soldier and his wolf stop a plot by a power hungry wizard. Or do they? And what are the consequences of succeeding?

* "A Tall Tail" by Charlie Stross. As you read this story, it helps to have a basic familiarit
Eero
Feb 07, 2013 Eero rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, free-ebook
This is a free anthology of 10 stories from the tor.com website. (Somehow the abundance of free online content by famous genre authors makes me feel vaguely guilty for not reading more of it. Maybe people born into the internet world have a more healthy relationship with it than older folks like me. I tend to snap up free or cheap, even vaguely interesting ebooks left and right and then feel bad because I don't have the time to read them all. Or when faced with the viewing choices at Netflix I s ...more
Adhemar
Jan 10, 2016 Adhemar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book claims to have been edited by Patrick Nielsen Hayden. This is a lie. He couldn't edit an elementary school newsletter. To call what he did here "editing" is an insult to editors the world over. It's more like he got his friends together and had everyone shit on a plate. And for some reason they're inordinately proud of what they produced.

But then again, there's a good chance a similar pile of shit will become President, so maybe they have a point.
Davis
Apr 01, 2013 Davis rated it really liked it
A completely free collection of fiction from one the top markets of Science Fiction and Fantasy? Why are you still reading this review instead of the collection itself?

With all collections, you like some stories, but hardly all. The same is true here. I always love a Gene Wolfe story, though this was not one of his best. I had heard of Michael Swanwick, but after reading his story here, I plan on picking up his novels if I can. That's the best thing about these collections; you try out authors y
Ricky Kimsey
Sep 18, 2015 Ricky Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2012

Stories from the Tor books website published in 2012. The stories go from the past to the future and alien worlds too.
Paul
Nov 10, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-sf, misc-fantasy
Good selection of stories.
Josh
Aug 07, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
Some were really fantastic, 4 or 5, and some just did not grab me.
Farth
Feb 06, 2014 Farth rated it really liked it
Un très bel ensemble de nouvelles qui donne l'occasion de lire certains auteurs récents et plutôt originaux.
Ezuk
Jan 18, 2013 Ezuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really, really good anthology. It was free, and worth every penny. Seriously though, I'd gladly pay for it.

The standout piece, for me, was Pat Murphy's About Fairies (which you can read online on its own, http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/05/ab...). I don't know -- there's just something haunting about the narration. A sort of a quiet desperation combined with an undercurrent of compassion that really got to me. Sounds fuzzy, I know, but it's a worthy read, I promise.
Lawrence W. Lee
Mar 24, 2015 Lawrence W. Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this compilation of short stories to be well worth reading.
Tomislav
Feb 14, 2016 Tomislav rated it really liked it
A pretty good anthology, considering that it was totally free to download. Some of the contents are award nominees.

Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia - Nebula nominee 2012 novelette
The Ghosts of Christmas - Locus recommended reading list 2012 novelette
The Finite Canvas - Nebula nominee 2012 novelette
About Fairies - Locus recommended reading list 2012 short story
Faster Gun - Locus recommended reading list 2012 novelette
Greg
Nov 13, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing
Lots of killer, very little filler. The pieces by Swirsky, Stross, Murphy and Swanwick were the standouts, though the latter feels more like a prologue than a short in its own right. Delicate and slightly creepy fairy tales, hard sci-fi meets gonzo conspiracy yarn, and alt-historical fantasy in an interesting setting. And it's free, why WOULDN'T you have a look?
Pat
Apr 04, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A good selection of stories by a wide variety of authors.
Matt
Oct 06, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
A bit hit and miss for me, there were a few stories I enjoyed and only one I almost skipped because it was boring. I actually remembered to highlight the ones I enjoyed in my Kindle for once. So I can say with some certainty that the three I enjoyed the most were Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia, The Ghosts of Christmas and The Finite Canvas.
Louise
Jun 26, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Like any collection, you like some stories more than others, I had one 1 star, one 5 star and several 3-4 star ratings here, but as the quality overall was high, and I've discovered 2 new authors I'm REALLY looking forward to reading more from, (Michael Swanwick and Pat Murphy) it's an overall 4 :-)
MB (What she read)
Some very enjoyable stories in here but what I most enjoyed were the beautiful and evocative chapter illustrations.

The Mongolian Wizard and Faster Gun were my favorites. I'd be interested in full-length novels set in these worlds.

This is awfully good value for being free. Thanks Tor!
Christine
1. Dormanna by Gene Wolfe 3 stars (fairy)
2. Portrait of Lisane da Patagnia by Rachel Swirsky 4 stars (painting)
3. The Mongolian Wizard by Michael Swanwick 4 stars (alternate universe, steampunk elements)
4. Tall Tail by Charles Stross SF tbr
5. The Ghosts of Christmas by Paul Cornell
Rob
Jan 06, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f, via-kindle
A surprisingly consistently good collection of short stories. I especially enjoyed the stories by Wolfe, Swanwick, Stross, and Bear.
John Welch
Dec 13, 2014 John Welch rated it liked it
Like all similar collections, there were some I liked and others that didn't float my boat. Some stories were 5 star, others worth a lot less in my opinion. I would have liked to have given 3.5 stars, but rounding down to 3 was more representative than rounding up.
Anirudh
Mar 31, 2013 Anirudh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good anthology. Some stories are actually very good. I particularly liked "About Fairies" by Pat Murphy and "Portrait of Lisane Da Patagnia" by Rachel Swirsky. I am actually astonished that such quality content can be found free. Really recommended.
Will
Nov 15, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Holy crap, Portrait of Lisane de Patagnia is amazing. And I loved some of the other stories "Our Human" among them. I was a bit surprised how weak the Gene Wolfe was though, and the Charles Stross I just found vaguely clever and mostly lazy.
Josh
Mar 09, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Fun collection of recent science fiction and fantasy stories (novelettes?) - I thought 9 out of the 10 here were really enjoyable, which is great odds for a collection. Bonus points for the fact that the ebook is a free download!
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects
  • The Mongolian Wizard
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 9)
  • Academic Exercises
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
  • The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
Patrick James Nielsen Hayden, often abbreviated as PNH, is an American science fiction editor, fan, fanzine publisher, essayist, reviewer, anthologist, teacher and blogger. He is a World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award winner (with nine nominations for the latter award), and is a Senior Editor and the Manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books. He changed his last name to "Nielsen Hayden" on his marriag ...more
More about Patrick Nielsen Hayden...

Tor.com Anthologies (5 books)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2014
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2015

“But Doc knew that was the key to successful lying. People judged what other people would do by what they themselves would do. You could tell a hell of a lot about a man by what he assumed others got up to. If you're looking for a thief, bet on the man who's always accusing his neighbors.” 3 likes