Start by marking “Love in the Time of Global Warming” as Want to Read:
Love in the Time of Global Warming

Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,895 ratings  ·  485 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Penelope (Pen) has lost everything—her home, her parents, and her ten-year-old brother. Like a female Odysseus in search of home, she navigates a dark world full of strange creatures, gathers companions and loses them, finds love and loses it, and faces her mortal enemy.

In her signature style, Francesca Lia Block has created a world that is beautiful in
Published August 27th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Love in the Time of Global Warming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in the Time of Global Warming

karen
if you have been waiting for a dystopian retelling of the odyssey set in LA after an earthquake/tsunami combo ruins EVERYTHING and it is penelope who gets to do the odysseying this time, then guess what?? you only need to wait until august 27th!

it is a great adaptation, and even though it does call attention to its source material too frequently, pretty much literally stating several times "like in the odyssey!!!" i can overlook it because my guess is that most teens haven't studied their homer
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
You have to be a certain type of reader in order to enjoy Francesca Lia Block's works. She writes beautifully, I will say that, but her stories require a certain amount of willing suspension of disbelief, an acceptance of the extraordinary, a completely dismissal of rationality and sense...and in that sense, this book did not appeal to me. It is lovely, it is magical, it is abstract and surreal...but the experience of reading Love in the Time of Global Warming just gave me an overwhelming headac ...more
sunset shimmer
I thought this was beautiful.

I can definitely see why this book is so polarizing, since almost the entirety of it doesn't really make much sense, and for any logical thinker it would just bombard you with frustrating question after frustrating question. I assume that most of the negative ratings for this book are due to how off-the-wall and strange the events in it are. But I chose not to think logically at all as I read, and ended up enjoying myself, because I thought the airy, poetic writing
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
"I have a feeling," he says, "that things are going to get worse." <- A quote from the book which perfectly articulates my feelings towards this with every page turned.

Love in the Time of Global Warming is a retelling of Homer's The Odyssey, set in modern day Los Angeles to the backdrop of natural disaster. A story idea that had such potential I really wanted to love it, but ultimately it falls completely flat due to irritating characters and a nonsensical plot.

After a catastrophic event kn
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Let it not be said that I don't read with an open mind. There's a lot of talk on Goodreads and in the book blogging community about "hate reading" and whether or not one should do it. Deciding to read Love in the Time of Global Warming might have seemed a questionable choice, because I absolutely loathed with every fiber of my being the first and only Francesca Lia Block book that I read: Weetzie Bat. However, if I didn't risk possibly hating this one and feeling stupid for wasting my time or be ...more
Renee
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Truly a unique novel combining a post-apocalyptic setting with Greek mythology combining with the will to survive and a mission to find one's family. Also bonus points for the LGBT relationships! Very beautiful writing indeed. I liked this one even though none of it made any sense, I just went with it and was surprised at how easy it was to read it in just two sittings. Okay not really since it was short but it was an overall interesting read.
Angus
What an extraordinary piece of writing? Beautiful and terrifying, realistic and fantastical. The author takes us on a journey through a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles seen through the eyes of Pen, who has lost everything but hopes her family have survived and sets off in search of them. Along the way she meets a colorful cast of characters and discovers much about herself and, eventually, finds what she is so desperately seeking - love, in its many forms.
Pen's journey has epic qualities like the
Jessica
Imagine the apocalypse striking Weetzie Bat's glittering LA. Penelope sees her city struck by disaster, her family scattered by the waves. Reinventing herself as Pen, she sets out to find her survivors. Part dystopia, part disaster, part road trip, and part love story, Pen and her VW van gather survivors as she heads to the underworld (where else but Vegas) in an attempt to save her family.

I think this and The Elementals are some of FLB's strongest work in years, possibly since Necklace of Kiss
Maciek
I was drawn in to this book because of the title and its gorgeous cover, which is why I'm sad to report that it turned out to be a total mess.

Initially, I was excited by the synopsis - a retelling of The Odyssey performed against the background of post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. This is a story with real potential - I expected beautiful and unusual imagery, and a touching and moving story with plentiful of poetic references to classic Greek mythology...but Love in the Time of Global Warming is non
Jocelin
I was swayed by the artistically rendered cover. It was really lovely and captivating. The story however, not so much. The blurb on the back was described as it being a modern retelling of "The Odyssey" by Homer. It felt like it would be a poetic journey across an apocalyptic waste land. I couldn't find my way out until the end. I like mythology, so I thought I would give it a whirl. It felt like a cross between "Mad Max" and "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" as written by Quentin Tarantino &a ...more
Heidi
1.5 Stars

I know there are many Francesca Lia Block fans out there, however, this was my first experience with the author myself. I apologize to her many fans, but strait up–this book was a freaking mess. Unlike The Rathbones, it was not (in my opinion) well written or constructed, but also unlike The Rathbones it was slightly more successful in being a retelling of The Odyssey. I say slightly because I’m not convinced FLB knew what she was going for here–and boy does it show. We begin with a cha
Christina Reads YA
Blog | Pinterest | Twitter | Booktube | Booklikes | Instagram | Google+ | Tumblr

I am not sure how to write one of my regular reviews for this novel, and I think that if I did, it would be a lot of filler words, so instead I am trying something different this time.

5 Reasons to Read This Novel:

1. It is what it says it is. That's not to say that the book doesn't have layers - that it wouldn't make for an interesting study. No, not at all; indeed I suspect the very opposite. What I mean, however, is
Heather
I have been a fan of Francesca Lia Block since reading Dangerous Angels, a collection of her Weetzie Bat stories. Her writing sways toward a magical realism and it is what I would call an acquired taste. It's always full of incredible imagery and while not fancy or flowery, is both beautiful and unusual. In fact, unusual is probably the best word to describe her books and her writing style. She's definitely in a class all her own.

So I was very excited to get the chance to read Love in the Time
Bibliophile Catfairy
"My pink house-no longer mine-stands on the edge of nowhere like a rose in a Salvador Dali surrealist desert landscape...."

In high school I was forced to read and analyze "The Odyssey" and let me tell you, it was the most boring and drawn out piece of literature that I have read in my entire life. There are many pieces of literature I appreciated and fell in love with as my required reading in high school such as "Their Eyes Were Watching God", The House on Mango Street and of course one of my
Gabriela Kozhuharova

Да устоиш на книга с толкова красива корица и причудливо заглавие като „Любов по време на глобално затопляне“ е кажи-речи невъзможна задача. От самото начало знаех, че ще се поддам на тези примамки и ще прочета творбата на Франческа Лия Блок с най-искреното желание да я харесам и да я наредя на рафта до любимите ми тийн романи. Вярна на заглавието си обаче, книгата се оказа омайващо странна, неподатлива на логиката и трудно за моментално читателско влюбван
Deborah Markus
Magic realism is like free verse: it looks deceptively easy when it's done well, and too many writers think it means you can do whatever you want to on the page.

Francesca Lia Block has succeeded in this medium before, at least in my opinion. I know they're cornball and over-the-top, but I do love Weetzie Bat and Witch Baby.

I keep trying to love other novels by Block, and it keeps mostly not happening.

There are some beautiful moments in this book, such as this reflection by Pen, the narrator:

Why
Warren-Newport Public Library
Hmm... I am conflicted with how I am to review this book. I picked up "Love in the Time of Global Warming" because it was recently nominated as one of YALSA's Teen's Top Ten books from 2013. After having read it, I can see why it would have been nominated, but I was disappointed.

Penelope (who goes by Pen) is a survivor of an "Earth Shaker" apocalypse that hits the world suddenly. She holes up in her house, wondering how she will survive, hoping beyond hope that somehow her family is still alive
Katie (Books and Katie)
My steady hands frighten me in a distant way, as if I'm watching a movie and feel concern for the main character; her hands show not that she is brave but that she is not afraid to die, that she has already given up that much.

Review:

I honestly was not sure what to expect with this book, which made going through it very exciting. However, it just didn't live up to my expectations from the blurb.

Love in the Time of Global Warming has a lot of very likeabe aspects: A destroyed world, a classic qu
Lauren
This book is a wild but brilliant combination of mythology, science fiction, post-apocalyptic, and magical realism with a colorful cast of characters, Love in the Time of Global Warming is a strange & unique story, a very loose retelling of Homer's The Odyssey.

I know this book won't be for everyone, You have to be a certain type of reader in order to enjoy Francesca Lia Block's works. It definitely requires a certain amount acceptance when it comes to the unbelievable & extraordinary.
Ana
Love in the Time of Global Warming is not Love in the time of Cholera, but for some reason my brain wants to keep calling it that. Maybe because Love in the time of Cholera is one of my favorite books, and the reason I picked this one up in the first place. I had hoped that this might be a retelling or an ode to it. It’s not.
Think Greece not Columbia
Think Homer not Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Think myths not magical realism
Wrapped up in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles and you’ve got yourself a stra
Ms. Library
This is one of the better YA dystopias/apocalypse stories I have read in a long while. Its more dreamy in tone. If you are tired of straight forward dystopias with all white all straight characters, look no further. Block invests her stories with characters on the edge, on the edge of life, on the edge of society, on the edge of belief. Because of this, her story is richer and full of more depth. Its really beautifully told and realized. I'm not sure this needs to be a series, and I didn't reali ...more
Melissa Chung
Ohhhhhh the cover of this book is glorious! I am rating this book 4 stars. I didn't give it 5 because there was just something tiny missing. I don't know what it was. The book is not boring by any means, it just lacked something I can't put my finger on.

Penelope (Pen) is the only survivor after the world collapses and the waves crash and pull away everything she held dear. The Earth Shaker is what she calls it...the end of days. Penelope doesn't know why she is still alive after the devastation.
Chiara (delicate eternity)
This is one of those times where my logical brain pisses me off. For some reason, the blurb of this book made me think that perhaps the fantastical goings on in Love in the Time of Global Warming were not real – that they were a story Pen was telling. And I was wrong. But I couldn’t accept this fact until halfway through reading, and by then my enjoyment of the story had been greatly reduced because I had spent so much time going WTF? Is this real OR NOT? So if you think it’s not: it is. IT FREA ...more
Cecelia
Anticipation is one of the constants of my book blogging life. When I began blogging lo, these many years ago (okay, fine, five and a half years!), I looked around to see what the community was doing. A weekly event called Waiting on Wednesday (WoW) drew my attention, and I’ve been participating on and off ever since. It’s all about finding books that aren’t released yet and highlighting them while you wait for the release date to come around. Since then, I’ve been much more aware of what books ...more
Amelia

I wish I could give half stars, since this compelling book deserves more than three stars. Then again, it's a rather uneven story, so I'm wary of giving it four or five stars.

I really loved the characterization of Penelope (Pen for short), and felt as if she truly was evolving throughout the story. I also loved the book's inclusiveness (view spoiler). Thank god we have a book where there are characters of dif

Alexandra
Review originally posted on my blog

First up, Love in the Time of Global Warning by Francesca Lia Block. Teenage Penelope survives a world-ending earthquake known as the “Earth Shaker.” She and her motley crew explore the ravaged landscape and face challenges from giants, sirens and witches along the way. Using The Odyssey as their guide for the adventure, the teens make it through and find their way back to Pen’s house.

There are a lot of things to love about Love in the Time of Global Warning.
Adriana
3.5 No se como sentirme con este libro, me gusto pero... estoy tan confundida, sin duda no era lo que yo esperaba, pero no fue malo...
Caitlin
I enjoyed it (3 stars is average to good, people, not terrible!) but I felt like it wasn't given enough space to really show itself.

Everything felt like it went too fast. Love in the Time of Global Warming is a magic-infused retelling of The Odyssey with queer and trans characters. However, not enough time is spent on the world-building, which combined with the dreamlike magical realism of the prose leads to a reader not feeling fully connected with the events.

I loved Pen, our main character, an
Marina
A mix of Percy Jackson and The Ocean at the end of the Lane. Good story but it felt way too crazy at some points. The characters were great though, I really liked the snippets into each person's past.
YA MOGAI Lit: May 2015: Love in the Time (SPOILERS) 1 4 May 29, 2015 01:01PM
YA MOGAI Lit: May 2015: Love in the Time (NO SPOILERS) 2 3 May 25, 2015 04:02PM
Writing Style and Characters 2 17 Jun 25, 2014 03:02PM
3rd Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Ally's book one 2 15 Feb 18, 2014 07:10AM
  • Marco Impossible
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Jumped In
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • Stranger (The Change, #1)
  • Diverse Energies
  • Bubble World
  • Neptune's Tears
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • Freakboy
  • Wise Young Fool
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Chimerascope
  • A Moment Comes
  • Half Lives
  • Bi-Normal
  • All Our Pretty Songs (Metamorphoses, #1)
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...

Love in the Time of Global Warming (2 books)
  • The Island of Excess Love (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #2)
Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1) Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5) The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold I Was a Teenage Fairy Echo

“The true warrior isn't immune to fear. She fights in spite of it.” 14 likes