Start by marking “Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division, #5)” as Want to Read:
Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division, #5)

Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division #5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,441 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Captain Sophia Coloma of the Clarke has a simple task: Ferry around representatives from Earth in an aging spaceship that the Colonial Union hopes to sell to them. But nothing is as simple as it seems, and Coloma discovers the ship she's showing off holds suprises of its own...and it's not the only one with secrets.
Published February 12th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Tales From the Clarke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales From the Clarke

Nikki
A fun entry in the story, though to me it felt a bit like filler -- I was hoping for it to move a bit faster, I guess, and I wasn't impressed by the totally unsubtle recaps of earlier episodes. It felt bitty and not so clever.

Still, the actual story is interesting and it's a good bit of Scalzi's writing in other ways.
Scott
Scalzi is ever so nicely tying the previous chapters/episodes together into a pretty decent narrative. This one was a spy story that brought together the Captain of the Clarke & Wilson while still keeping us tied with Abumwe. The baseball storyline was genius and being a baseball fan made it even more entertaining for me.

Scalzi has me turning the pages and wondering what he has in store for us next and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a good thing.
Ron
Oh, yeah. That's what I'm talkin' about. Vintage Scalzi. Just enough SF to qualify as such; lots of humanity--and that sardonic. Moves the story forward, too.

A good read.
Alex Lewis
I'm really digging the premise as well as the pacing. I find myself looking forward to each week's release.

Good stuff.
Amy C.C. Hsiao
So far so good. Can't wait for the next episode.

And I really think this kind of serial publishing works in digital formats. Each vol is short and totally not challenging readers' patience. I mean, I could do novels but lots of young people can't cuz they're too used to TV series, online films, instant downloads and social media, all of which take no more than 30 minutes. It's hard to make they spend hours reading a story. So I imagine these people would love reading short stories that are relat
Christopher Preiman
So i find my self in an odd position, i already have little doubt i am going to love this story when i have finished the whole thing, but right now i am in a situation where i must revue each chapter on it's own marrits and in that situation most of these chapters are middling at best. Tales from the Clarke was ok. Not great on it's own or even through the lens of the other episodes. Its plot did do a lot to advance the story but the rapidity at which it did so felt wrong, perhaps setting up the ...more
Rob Hermanowski
John Scalzi's great new serial sci fi novel is now a highlight of my week - the new episode downloads to my Kindle every Tuesday morning, and I listen to William Dufris' wonderful narration on the way to work (and home). Fun times!
Alice
This is the fifth of thirteen installments in John Scalzi's serial novel, The Human Division. This one focuses on Captain Sophia Coloma, the captain whose rash selflessness saved the Colonial Union from a diplomatic incident.

Once again, the serial format works in the installment's favor, as a character we've only seen glimpses of comes front and center. Scalzi doesn't waste words telling us why we should root for her; he simply reminds us of what we've seen of her character so far, and reinforce
John
This review is for the entirety of The Human Division, comprised of The B-Team; Walk the Plank; We Only Need the Heads; A Voice in the Wilderness; Tales From the Clarke; The Back Channel; The Dog King; The Sound of Rebellion; The Observers; This Must Be the Place; A Problem of Proportion; The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads; Earth Below, Sky Above.

My first thought about this, the latest story in the Old Man's War universe from John Scalzi, was annoyance that I hadn't read it whilst it was being rel
heidi
Ooh, this one is a good installment, full of intrigue, danger, and double-crossing.

Also some baseball.

This little story is all the things you probably enjoyed about the Old Man's War books, in one teeny little package.

"“Right, but they’re not rated for this sort of power output,” Basquez said. “Trying to use the current standard conduit here would be like stuffing a Great Dane into a Chihuahua sweater.”

Coloma had to stop for a moment to take in the visual Basquez just offered. Then she said, “W
Pierre
This is a review for the series of the Human Division. I have read all the 13 books in a row, this was my first time reading John Scalzi.
I was at first disturbed by the series: more than 400 different races, some with very unfriendly intents toward each other, but all at about the same technological development level and strength which makes it none really prevails? It just does not fit with my idea of technological advancement and species competition.
Anyway, I decided to forget about the imposs
Anissa
Poor Capt Coloma is having a trying time. Since her ship the Clarke was involved in averting a war & is sent to scrap, she's been through an inquiry & gets a new assignment in this installment. Of course, it's not what it appears to be in the beginning & what should be a simple enough opportunity to sell a ship to a contingent from Earth turns into another twist in the story skein. Of all the problems that unfold, the fact that the people from Earth are probably not who they say they ...more
Stephen Gaudet
This and the rest of the Human Division short stories were great. Set in the Old Man's War universe, it really gives a great overview of how regular humans might experience the universe. Each part is stand alone, but it really shines when read as a complete novel.
Billy Abbott
Five books in I'm not so sure about this series - it's certainly that rather than a serialised book, with the mini-synopses taking up a bit too much space in the rather short chapters for my liking. If it does get released in single volume form I suspect there will be some serious editing (See Charlie Stross's Lobsters for an example of that done well).

The chapters are all, so far, under half the length of the first and all wrap up a bit neatly, with loose ends being swept under the carpet or be
Lis Carey
Captain Coloma of the Clarke is on tenterhooks awaiting the results of the review board, after she did major, irreparable damage to her ship by placing it in the path of a missile intended for the aliens Ambassador Abumwe had been sent to negotiate with. In the meantime, she and her crew have been given a really simple, boring task: ferry around dignitaries from Earth, in an aging vessel the Colonial Union is planning to sell them.

Simple and straightforward, until Harry Wilson figures out that t
Kaethe
The plotting here is just amazing. There is a lot going on but it never feels overwhelming or much of a muchness. I'm not sure whether I'm more excited to be reading it as a serial, or to re-read the whole thing once it's done.

I bought a copy.
Joel
So far, I like the "narrative" chapters a lot more than the "experimental" chapters, which might mean either A) this "novel in episodes" told across 13 weeks isn't for me, or B) I am not really down with the way Scalzi is executing on it.

Judging by my past experience with his books that aren't fairly straight space thrillers (i.e. the ones with fart jokes... ok, the ones with more fart jokes), it is probably the latter, but I am still in for, the, what, 20 to 30 minutes a week they take to get
Vicente L Ruiz
The series is shaping up nicely. I am finding I like it quite a lot. I missed some SciFi in my life, apparently.

I think the full book will suffer a bit from the serialization, but right now I do not mind and I find it great, giving me time to read my weekly instalment without having to hurry.

And it does seem that the parts with the crew of the Clarke are the ones I'm enjoying the most, definitely. This week's story was yet another example of what to expect from this crew. Scalzi is managing to p
Amanda Allen
This one was definitely better than the rest. I was actually interested the whole time. 3.5 for this one.
Marcelo
Feb 21, 2013 Marcelo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light- to mid-core sic-fi fans.
Recommended to Marcelo by: Audible.com
Did you really think we wouldn't hear from the bold crew of the Clarke again? If you did (and I can't imagine why you would), you're wrong! Aren't you glad? Oh, c'mon, I know you loved Captain Sophia Coloma's role in The B-Team. Ok, well.. I did. So I'm glad she and her crew are back and you'll just have to put up with it!

A-ham. The plot thickens and yet another conspiracy is revealed in this 5th of 13 chapters of The Human Division. I'm very much enjoying this story so far.
Peter Anargirou
Tales From the Clarke continues Scalzi wonderful episodic The Human Division. This time we see a familiar face from the first episode, Captain Coloma. Scalzi chooses a great protagonist by following a character with whom we're already familiar but who was not a major character.

She's tasked with showing off an old ship to delegates from Earth. The Colonial Union wants to rebuild Earth's trust, so this is a critical mission. However, everything isn't as it seems. By the end we see some resolution
Randy
Captain Coloma of the Clarke and her staff are in limbo as their fate for taking a missile to prevent an alien ship from being destroyed and starting a war. She is assigned a job to shepherd the sale of an antiquated ship to Earth. Something must be done to get the planet back into the colonial Union as it's being courted by other races.

The old ship runs, but all equipment is out of date.

Then they discover something else is going on.

Scalzi continues to build his story through these weekly chapte
Drew
Overall these aren't the best on their own but put together they make a great story
G33z3r
This was a solid story in the series, Returning to some of the characters we met in the first installment. The overall story arc is still little fragmented, and it does suffer a little by characters having to tick off past events in order to explain things (more for the benefit of the reader then the book's characters.)

And then there's the credibility issue. Science fiction requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but the Cubs winning the World Series as an awful lot to accept.
bella
In this episode Captain Sophia Coloma of the Clarke is back and dealing with the aftermath of her last mission. Her next mission to ferry around representatives from Earth. However secrets are abound, among the ship they are trying to sell to Earth and the representatives themselves. I love these episodes & I love how Wilson figured out what is going on with the representatives from Earth based on Baseball! Can’t wait for the next episode.
Cheri Portman
Pace is picking up, and maybe the story is filling in? I find the episodic nature of the story challenging, even though I have been reading the episodes back-to-back. Can't exactly figure out why this is. I like the captain, though - and thought this episode a good step forward in the story. Nice dialogue.

That said, the story feels thin to me. Like maybe it should be getting 3 1/3 stars.
Kiki
I legit got choked up at the end of this installment. There's just something about the captain who feels an intense loyalty for their shitty, old ship. And it helps that I really like Captain Coloma. I like her crew, too, and how they have that "best of ordinary people" literary quality. My favorite of the series, up to this point.
Dan
The best part of this story is that it has you asking, "what the hell could possibly go wrong next?" This is a very entertaining setup installment - something to whet the suspense and anticipation for things to come. I particularly liked the banter between various characters at different points in the story. Can't wait until next week.
Kat  Hooper
Nice collection of stories set in the OLD MAN’S WAR universe. It continues the plot, so you don’t want to miss it. I listened to the audio version which was very good. You can each episode separately or all together.
We've got a review of the full series here:
Shawn Camp
The fifth installment for the Human Division brings us the crew of the Clark and what their status is after previous events. It took a bit to figure where this was heading, but at the end it all made sense and helps keep the story moving forward. The suspense wasnt enough to warant 4 stars, but a strong 3.5.
  • The Churn: An Expanse Novella
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • The Bloodline Feud (The Merchant Princes, #1-2)
  • Erase Me (Positron, #3)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • The Fourth Wall (Dagmar, #3)
  • Starfire: A Vince Lombard Story
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • Destroyer of Worlds
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • The Colonel
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) Redshirts The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2) The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3) Fuzzy Nation