Start by marking “Beltane: Ten Tales of Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
Beltane: Ten Tales of Witchcraft

Beltane: Ten Tales of Witchcraft

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Ten stories by ten authors:

1. AN ACCIDENTAL WITCH by Liv Rancourt
A little harmless magic nearly turns into more than this Wiccan can handle.

2. ALBA by Karen Heard
In a race against the clock, will Sgt. Taylor discover the witch behind the murders at Bindings Wood?

3. BY THE PRICKING OF MY THUMBS by Jonathan Broughton
Hell hath no fury like a witch scorned.

4. THE CAT MAIDEN by
Published 2012 by Scimitar Press

To ask other readers questions about Beltane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beltane

Paula
Oct 15, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
I love Halloween and all the fun, creative, scary, and spooky things that are part of the excitement of the night. I always have loved the joy on a child face because they are getting to pretend to be someone who is magical, powerful, mythical, admirable, or awesome to them. One of the most popular costumes through out the ages has been that of the witch. Which witch did you want to be - good or evil? I always wanted to be just like the ones from all the storybooks I read; a crooked nose, big bl ...more
Dynal Roberson
Jan 27, 2015 Dynal Roberson rated it really liked it
This is a compilation book of ten different authors and as such the writing styles and ability vary greatly. I was tempted to stop reading after the first story but I persevered and was rewarded by a wonderful second story. While I didn't like all the stories in this book I've found that I rarely do like all the stories in compilations like this one. This book gives a good introduction to ten different authors, go ahead and give it a chance. You might find a new favorite author.
Denise Pelkey
Feb 17, 2015 Denise Pelkey rated it it was amazing
Beltane Ten Tales of Witch craft pulls you in with its first story using wit and humor. But don’t be fooled!

Even in the first tale there is enough creep to raise your neck hairs. All 10 tales have spine tingling moments that make you wish you read this during the day.

From psycho paths genies with hormonal problems to killers with amnesia and deaths better off left alone this book delivers with nightly fury.

Ten Tales of Witch craft takes you back and forth between the States and England. You c
Heathyre
Feb 17, 2015 Heathyre rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heathyre by: Tomoson
I don't give out a lot of 5 star reviews, but Rayne Hall never disappoints. In this anthology she has chosen stories revolving around Witchcraft. I was a little skeptical going in on this one, I half expected stories of witches living in candy houses being shoved into ovens by children or perhaps offering pretty girls poison apples....

An Accidental Witch - Liv Rancourt
A little harmless magic nearly turns into more than this Wiccan can handle.There was something familiar with this story; the char
Tori Ridgewood
Sep 28, 2013 Tori Ridgewood rated it it was amazing
Right away, before delving into each of these fantastic stories, I must give full disclosure of my bias: I’m both Wiccan and a witch. I have a fairly intimate knowledge of the Craft, both through experience and research. I love being part of this belief system, finding like-minded people, and learning all that I can about it, within the decreasing limits of my so-called free time. So finding this anthology, Beltane: Ten Tales of Witchcraft, was like coming home to me. I absolutely loved it.

“An A
Heather
Oct 11, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
If you are into dark fantasy, it is certainly the perfect time of year for it, you should check out Beltane: Ten Tales of Witchcraft, stories by ten authors and edited by Rayne Hall.

I really enjoyed this read as I have always been a fan of and believed in magic and witchcraft. Certainly movies/shows like Bewitched, The Craft, Charmed, Harry Potter, and even The Wizard of Oz have heightened our awareness of such activities and left us wondering… is it fact or fiction?

My absolute favorite story wa
Renee Hardimon
Sep 28, 2013 Renee Hardimon rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with this one? So much to say but without giving away the stories :) I thought when I finished reading Bites: Ten Tales of Vampires, that this wouldn't hold a candle to that. Oh how wrong I was. The short stories in this book were just as enticing and fun to read as the first.

I love the different takes on the idea of what a witch is in each story. I appreciate also that it teaches you and forces you to think about the different kinds of practices in this magic(k)al world. For ex
Lia Burres
Sep 28, 2013 Lia Burres rated it it was amazing
In this really great book of tales, each story has different ideas of what a witch really is. Each tale has a different meaning.
The book also tells the difference between a witch and a wiccan, black and white magic.
The book is great to curl up with on Halloween, a stormy night or even if you're up in a cabin on a mountain or in the woods. The tales will make your skin crawl (and I don't mean that it will literally crawl away).

Even with the past returning, what does it really seek?
"Thirteen Step
Brenda
Jan 14, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: witch-books
I enjoyed this book very much. Each of the 10 stories had different elements of witchcraft and magic as told by 10 different authors. My favorite:

# 4. THE CAT MAIDEN by Mertianna Georgia.

I love cats and this story was my favorite out of all of them. It was previously published in Leafkin Anthology however this was the first time I read it.
Jan 09, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Of course I liked some stories in it better than others. The last story is a great example about how important ethics are in Wicca. The Cat Maiden remained me in some ways of the fairy tale, beauty and the beast. Four Boney Hands had a Hansel and Gretel feel to it. But it was told from the witch's point of view. A great illustration of don't judge someone on your preconceived notions. You could be reading the situation wrong and the consequences can be severe.
Debi
Oct 05, 2013 Debi rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading all of the ten stories and they kept my attention from beginning until end. I also liked that each story and character was totally different. You didn't know what you were going to get next which kept it so interesting to me. I did wish that a few of the stories would of continued a little more, as I felt like I was kind of left hanging.

One of my favorite stories was Alba. It had me totally entralled right from the beginning and I couldn't read it fast enough to see what was g
Nicole Fraley
Nov 05, 2013 Nicole Fraley rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of 10 different stories all about Witchcraft. Each of these authors bring their own element to their story and make it their own. Some stories have a "I've heard something like this before" bit to it, but still have something that the author brings to the story that is different. Some of these are completely new and different and really intriguing to read. I don't recommend this for people who have issues with witchcraft or with anything pagan. I am Christian but I read this ...more
Lauren
Dec 12, 2015 Lauren marked it as to-read
OVERALL:

AN ACCIDENTAL WITCH by Liv Rancourt

ALBA by Karen Heard

MISHMASH MAGICK by Carole Ann Moleti

LOVE MAGICK by Debra Dunbar
Jen McConnel
Dec 17, 2012 Jen McConnel rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the stories in this collection, although a few of them ended too abruptly for me. My favorite two tales are Love Magick by Debra Dunbar and Four Bony Hands by Rayne Hall. All ten tales were delicious in their own ways, however. This is a great collection to curl up with during a stormy night: guaranteed to give you shivers!
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Patricia Phare-camp
Patricia Phare-camp rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Chris Marchant
Chris Marchant marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Rae Sunshine
Rae Sunshine marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Awake at Midnight
Awake at Midnight marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jill Corddry
Jill Corddry rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Chelsea Osbon
Chelsea Osbon marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Ellis Logan
Ellis Logan rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Tina Dreadful
Tina Dreadful marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rayne Hall writes fantasy and horror fiction, some of it quirky, most of it dark. She is the author of over sixty books in different genres and under different pen names, published by twelve publishers in six countries, translated into several languages. Her short stories have been published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies.

After living in Germany, China, Mongolia and Nepal, she has settled i