Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer” as Want to Read:
The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,914 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
"This book will give you an understanding of what has made Toyota successful and some practical ideas that you can use to develop your own approach to business."--Gary Convis, Managing Office of Toyota

Fewer man-hours. Less inventory. The highest quality cars with the fewest defects of any competing manufacturer. In factories around the globe, Toyota consistently raises the
...more
Hardcover, 330 pages
Published January 7th 2004 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published December 1st 2003)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Jan-Maat
Since reading this book every time I hear of Toyota having problems, a car recall or a design fault I smile wryly and wonder which of their principles they had forgotten.

That is unfair of me because the subtext of the book is that companies evolve and the Toyota story is about a company that moved from power looms to truck production to mass-produced cars responding to demand and aware of their business environment that they operated in. There is a little detail about how they prepare to launch
...more
Ahmad Badghaish
Sep 12, 2011 Ahmad Badghaish rated it it was amazing

الكتاب ليس للمهندسين فقط أو ينحصر بالمهتمين بعالم السيارات

الكتاب إداري بشكل كبير

عجيب أسلوب تويوتا في الإدارة, لم أجد له مثيل في أي كتاب آخر

من المقولات الرائعة لأحد مسؤولي تويوتا : من الغباء أن تخبر موظفيك بأنهم مهمون لديك ثم تخاطر بحياتهم

قمة الإنتاجية مع تقديس الروح الإنسانية والكثير من القيم والمبادئ في هذا الكتاب

من القصص التي أعجبتني, واحدة مفادها : كيف تتوقع أن تعمل دون أن تتسخ يداك ؟ وأترك تفاصيل القصة لكم
Erwin
Oct 25, 2012 Erwin rated it really liked it
Toyota Industries Corporation was a Japanese maker of automatic looms (device used to weave cloth) when Kiichiro (eldest son of the founder) established the Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota had was capital poor, resource poor, and the Japanese car market was small. Kiichiro devised a strategy of Operational Excellence, along the lines of Sam Walton's strategy for Wall Mart. Eventually, the strategy of operational excellence (elimination of waste) allowed resource poor Toyota to dominate it's res ...more
Vikram Kalkura
Jan 16, 2015 Vikram Kalkura rated it really liked it
The Toyota way should be everyone's way. Great book with greater insights on how to be successful in your business along with how to make a profitable business. The insights can be applied not only for the automobile or transport industries but also for the software companies as well. TPS and Lean manufacturing has been created and developed by Toyota and now are used by many companies across the world. The book explains why Toyota has become one of the most successful company in the world and w ...more
robert
Nov 20, 2007 robert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lean practitioners
Shelves: lean
In factories around the world, Toyota consistently makes the highest-quality cars with the fewest defects of any competing manufacturer, while using fewer man-hours, less on-hand inventory, and half the floor space of its competitors. The Toyota Way is the first book for a general audience that explains the management principles and business philosophy behind Toyota's worldwide reputation for quality and reliability.

The fourteen management principles of the Toyota Way create the ideal environmen
...more
TarasProkopyuk
Жаль, что в своё время недооценил данную бизнес книгу, что отложил в её в длинный ящик. Я считал, что книга в основном о том как добиться высокой эффективности в производстве. Но я и не предполагал, что она охватывает практически все принципы ведения бизнеса и что они столь высоких стандартов.

Это та книга без которой в современном мире трудно построить поистине великий бизнес. И ещё она относится к тем работам к которые просто обязательно нужно время от времени возвращаться и перечитывать её сно
...more
Stephen
May 17, 2011 Stephen is currently reading it
Reading this book because one of my hospital clients wishes to combine their approach to engagement and Lean/Six Sigma. I've purchased 4 books on this topic and this might be the best one on this dual approach. You can't maximize operational efficiency at the expense of solid people practices.
Neil
May 25, 2009 Neil rated it really liked it
Shelves: research
Great insight into the Toyota Production System. My critique of it is that there is no discussion of drawbacks, if any. I'm skeptical of any methodology that isn't honest about its failings.
Kaa
Mar 21, 2017 Kaa rated it liked it
Shelves: business
[-Toyota way is not about managing inventory; it is about limiting inventory.
-Kanban
-Kaizen = continuous improvement

]
Brian
Jan 04, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
This book took me on a much longer journey than expected. I found it to be so packed with information that it took a while to wade through. Coming from a church leadership background instead of a manufacturing background meant that I did not have some of the prerequisites that the book's intended audience might have.

For me personally, Part 1 (The World-Class Power of the Toyota Way) was an interesting look into the changing world of manufacturing and lean production. It has helped me appreciate
...more
José Luis
Jan 16, 2017 José Luis rated it really liked it
Não há muito o que comentar sobre esse livro. Publicado em 2004, é a bíblia do TPS - Toyota Production System, e contém os fundamentos do sistema de produção da Toyota. Descreve fundamentos, princípios, cultura, mudança cultural, cuidado com detalhes, a base em processos, como enxergam as pessoas no processo, a formação das pessoas dentro da empresa, a formação de cultura, o processo de análise e solução de problemas. Em alguns pontos (talvez em muitos, tem que conhecer melhor para falar) é dogm ...more
Sambasivam Mani
Jan 23, 2015 Sambasivam Mani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reveals several procedures used in the manufacturing company. 4P Model (Problem Solving, People and Partners, Process and Philosophy), 5S Methodology (Sort, Straighten, Shine, Standardize and Sustain) and PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act or Deming Cycle). If anyone is willing to start a new manufacturing company they can use this book as a blue print. Helps us to learn some of the techniques used in Japan like Muri, Mura, Muda, Kanban, Heijunka, Jidoka and ohno and create eagerness to learn Jap ...more
Marcin Zaremba
Mar 05, 2016 Marcin Zaremba rated it really liked it
Mimo kilku anachroniczności (Internet jako nowość w zarządzaniu) to same zasady trzymają się mocno. W gruncie rzeczy ta książka wkurza, bo jedną z podstawowych zasad jest eliminacja "waste", wszystkiego co nie jest potrzebne do tworzenia wartości. Odpowiednio długie słuchanie (korzystałem z audiobooka) powoduje, że widzi się ten waste wszędzie: nie tylko w swojej pracy, ale także pracy innych. Jest jedna zasada, która rezonuje ze mną bardzo mocno: "metoda dojścia do decyzji jest równie ważna jak ...more
Vienny
Mar 24, 2009 Vienny rated it liked it
Jeffrey Liker offers some very good insight into the stark differences that exist between management styles/business models, particularly in the Eastern and Western cultures.

It was a struggle for me to read between the case studies and, sometimes, the author seemed too preachy about the principles of the Toyota way. The case studies themselves were very interesting and add a lot of value to the content of the book.
Brian
Apr 15, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
This book was my formal introduction to Lean and the Toyota Production System (TPS). I have utilized some Lean tools before when I was a business analyst (although I did not know the tools were Lean at the time!) but this book provides tremendous depth past my experience. I enjoyed the learning all of the principles at Toyota, especially the emphasis on people. I highly recommend this book to anybody interested in learning about this topic.
Alf Kåre Lefdal
Apr 22, 2010 Alf Kåre Lefdal rated it really liked it
Toyota created "Lean Manufacturing" through their "Toyota Production System", and has transferred these principles to their product development process. This is the foundation of Lean Software Development, as described in the books of Mary and Tom Poppendieck.

In the way Toyota runs their business, you will recognize everything that has to do with agile software development, and the book describes not only the processes, but also the leadership philosophy that it builds on.
Henri Hämäläinen
Sep 22, 2011 Henri Hämäläinen rated it really liked it
Whole idea behind the book is to give an better view what makes Toyota manufacturing system such a good one. It introduces TPS (Toyota Production System), Kanban and lots of other systems they use.Still most importantly it tells about the importance of company culture, continuous learning and true understanding about the thinking behind TPS.

I really loved the book, because it didn't only tell about Toyota's way of working, but about the actual culture around it.
David
Sep 28, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone looking to optimize any type of organization. The further the organization is from manufacturing the more work required for the reader to apply, but there is an immense amount of wisdom there.

The application is universal because of how much Toyota focuses their attention on the intersection of the organizational culture and the operational systems.
Yulya Roesdy
Jun 29, 2011 Yulya Roesdy rated it liked it
The Toyota Way by Jeffrey K Liker gives a common sense approach to Business Process Improvements. It's a good start for everybody interested in lean management and lean production. This book goes into depth on several concepts that make the Toyota Way different from most western companies. It will definitely change the way you see business and management.
-Yulya Roesdy-
Jen
Sep 26, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
I would call this THE Lean Textbook. I have this in hardback and CD. After reading the book I have listened to the CD several times. This is a quick an easy read that increases my lean understanding each time I review it.
Dan Graham
Jan 03, 2011 Dan Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is really dense, but a good read if you’re looking to get some ideas and strategies for streamlining your manufacturing process. The author has a huge crush on Toyota, which makes for some sappy reading at times but definitely a worthwhile read.
Rafael Bandeira
Jun 17, 2010 Rafael Bandeira rated it it was amazing
Best book on Lean. A must read for everyone in any business.
Apply these concepts on your cooking and on your room cleaning process, and you'll be billionaire. Seriously.
Ibrahim
Jan 01, 2016 Ibrahim rated it really liked it
Awesome!!!
Major
Jun 19, 2009 Major rated it it was amazing
I found the book extermely educating experience. I learnt so many new techniques which all the manufacturing companies should practice.
Du Nguyen
May 06, 2017 Du Nguyen rated it really liked it
The Toyota Way by Jeffrey K. Liker is Liker's experience and understanding of the car-maker Toyota's philosophy and management principles.
In the book Liker makes the case of lean manufacturing and the Toyota Production System which has been the cornerstone of Toyota's rise and famed quality.

The book is structured really well starting with the history of Toyota and how the Toyota Production System was created. The system itself is also well explained with its Japanese names (with English transla
...more
Vincent Wen
May 03, 2017 Vincent Wen rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The book not only details specific things that made Toyota different from other automakers, but also goes beyond to discuss the underlying philosophy and cultural norms that gave rise to the Toyota Way. Since the author is American and spent a great deal of time in Toyota's North American division, he was able to offer insights into how the Toyota Way was adopted in North American offices/factories and how Toyota was able to crack the American market.

As a software Engineer, it wa
...more
Hyruga
Mar 02, 2017 Hyruga rated it liked it
negatives:
Toyota ends up with so many car recalls

book was written more than 10 years ago. now almost every company is people oriented. maybe many years back, their management style is strong but now, this is the norm in most companies: let people speak out their ideas, maximizing output per hour, care about the company.

I don't agree with some things that was written. westerners view mistakes badly and Japanese view mistakes as learning experiences? what about the fact that japs are told to step
...more
Fritz
May 29, 2017 Fritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, lean-start-up
If you want to understand lean concepts and one of the greatest companies of the modern era this is well worth your time.
Manish Manjhi
May 05, 2017 Manish Manjhi rated it it was amazing
Great book
Panos Malakoudis
Jun 06, 2017 Panos Malakoudis rated it it was amazing
I FINALLY MADE IT!!! I've been trying to finish this book since February 2016 :-) Great book but MY GOD it is packed. It's simply one of those classics that you have to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
LeanCor: The Toyota Way 1 1 Jul 25, 2012 06:12PM  
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation
  • Understanding A3 Thinking: A Critical Component of Toyota's PDCA Management System
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Gold Mine: A Novel of Lean Turnaround
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Managing to Learn: Using the A3 Management Process to Solve Problems, Gain Agreement, Mentor and Lead
  • Freedom From Command And Control: A Better Way To Make The Work Work
  • The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary (Business Books)
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It
  • Lean from the Trenches
214426
Dr. Jeffrey K. Liker is Professor of Industrial and Operations Engineering at the University of Michigan and principle of Optiprise, Inc. Dr. Liker has authored or co-authored over 75 articles and book chapters and nine books. He is author of the international best-seller, The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer, McGraw-Hill, 2004 which speaks to the underly ...more
More about Jeffrey K. Liker...

Share This Book



“Every team member has the responsibility to stop the line every time they see something that is out of standard. That's how we put the responsibility for quality in the hands of our team members.” 3 likes
“We build cars, not intellectuals” 2 likes
More quotes…