Start by marking “I'm as Quick as a Cricket” as Want to Read:
I'm as Quick as a Cricket
Preview

I'm as Quick as a Cricket

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  5,091 ratings  ·  223 reviews
A celebration of a child's growing self awareness, and a prime example of how books can contribute to this. Whether brave or shy, strong or weak, in the end the young boy celebrates all different, apparently contradictory parts of himself.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published May 1st 1998 by Child's Play International (first published August 1982)

To ask other readers questions about I'm as Quick as a Cricket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm as Quick as a Cricket

Valentin Eni
Un copil se compară cu diferite animale, atribuindu-şi de la fiecare câte o însuşire, de fiecare dată aceste însuşiri vin în opoziţie una cu alta, sau ar fi complementare. Pictorul a lucrat mult şi a făcut treabă bună.
Kathryn Brunk
This book has the most fabulous illustrations that depict the adjectives described in the book. This book is all similes that are comparing adjectives to animals. This book can be read a very expressive way that helps to describe the adjectives even more. I just can’t get over the illustrations, they are so descriptive and colorful, and they can be found on the author’s website.

Learning Experience- I would use these printable illustrations and glue them onto a Popsicle stick. I would hand them
Heidi
Definite toddler potential. It might be a bit too long for the really young crowd I usually get. So I'm looking at how to shorten, and also involve them without being too repetitive or, well, odd.

8/2/10 I shortened the book, but I think this group could have handled it. They were a good group in joining along with the different animals. They liked the ending.

8/4/10 smaller, younger, wiggly, and more distract-able group. Shortening it was a wise choice. Some followed, some didn't. Ending was stil
Garrett
"Quick as a Cricket" is a book that I remember having read several times as a child (actually I think I was too young to read it, so I begged my parents to read it to me again and again). However, I did not pick up Audrey and Don Woods's work for several years, and was actually pleasently surprised to find it again. It is about a young boy describing himself by comparing himself to several animals. The comparisons always contrast going from "I'm as quick as a cricket" to "I'm as slow as a snail" ...more
Macy
This book is a fun and beautifully illustrated read for children. It is about a boy who is realizing who he is. He comes to this realization by comparing himself to different animals through the use of similes. There aren't a lot of words used in this book. It is very simple, but makes an important point that we all of have little things about us that make up the whole of who we are.

This book utilizes symmetrical interaction, where the words and illustrations work together to tell the story. Thi
Katie Coci
"Quick as a Cricket" is full of wonderful detailed illustrations. This is a very basic "all about me book" that young readers would love. The only character in this book is a young boy that describes himself using a variety of animals. For example he states, "I'm as loud as a lion." This book would be great to teach comparisons using similes. Also, this book would be a great model for the students to write their own "all about me" book.
Jennifer Bollinger
Rate: 4

Review: The book Quick as a cricket is a good book to read to young children because this book tells you about how quick this young boy is. Also, the boy in the story describes himself to different types of animals telling people how fast he is compared to the animals. This story is good to read to young children because it tells the children what sounds the animals make in the book.

Learning Experience: After you read the book Quick as a Cricket I pulled out pictures of animals and asked
Jenny
"Quick as a Cricket" was a pretty cute book. The whole book is basically showing,you all the parts about yourself that make you, you. We all have parts that everyone has such as being loud, soft, big, fast and many other things that everyone can relate to. This book has many ways of comparing yourself to animals such as Hot as a Fox or big as a whale. This is also a great interactive book we can do with children,while you ad the teach are reading, all the children could be acting out all the thi ...more
Peg
Fun to read and as a read-along - catchy to say the least. Beautiful full page illustrations. Still quoted and my children are grown!
Bryonna Potter
I like the way the author used different types of animal to describe
the character of the boy in the book, from being quick as a cricket to being lazy as a frog. I found it interesting the way the boy said add all these things and you have me. It showed that she wrote this book with the intention of capturing the mind of children. It's a wonderful book to read to children to show them no matter what they like doing, they should have fun doing it.

Learning Experience: Have the children pick out th
Tasneem  Zafer
A wonderful short text with beautiful rhymes but AWFUL illustrations!!
Shannon Stinnette
As a first grade teacher I keep this book on my personal shelf to introduce the concept of similes. The illustrations are larger than life and in some instances span the width of both pages. The illustrations will draw interest while reading the phrase listed on every or every other page. I'm as quick as a cricket is followed by I'm as slow as a snail. I then spiral in a review of antonyms. quick/slow followed by small/large. (I'm as small as an ant, I'm as large as a whale. I recommend this boo ...more
Brittany Wood
The book Quick as a Cricket is a fun and imaginative and book filled with adjectives. The main character describes himself using animals with adjectives to describe each one. This book helps children become self aware using emotions, sounds and wonderfully illustrated pictures. The words in this book would be easy for children to act out and easy for them to say. Teachers can use this book to engage children in conversations about describing words and how they would descried themselves. The book ...more
Olesya Johnson
The illustrations in this book are detailed, colorful and very engaging. The book features animals and simple animal traits. The adjectives used to describe the animals are also similes that are applied to the little boy featured in the illustrations. By the end of the book a wide range of physical and mental adjectives have been applied to the boy helping the reader see that a child is complex.

Jacqueline Lesson Plan Activity was about Similes. She would hold the pictures of animals and we as s
Hailey Phay
The story is about a young boy riding atop a cricket through the forest. He proclaims himself as quick as a cricket, as slow as a snail, as small as an ant, as large as a whale, as sad as a basset, as happy as a lark, as nice as a bunny, and as mean as a shark. He goes on describing himself.. The bright colorful and detailed illistrations really made you feel like you were in the story. The illustrations tend to overpower the text at some points. Over all this is a great book about self awarenes ...more
Teri Patterson
This book has similes galore. The illustrations clearly and imaginatively illustrate the adjectives. The feeling of the book is, “ I can be/do anything.” The poetry adds inertest.

Vocabulary: tame, basset (cross-reference basset in Duffy Time, same author)

LEARNING EXPERIENCE
Short and simple Acting-Out Activity: Read the book a second time, acting out the adjectives quick, slow, small, large, sad, happy, nice, mean, cold, hot, weak, strong, loud, quiet, tough, gentle, brave, tame, lazy, busy. Us
Necole Penn
This book is great for showing a varitey of animals, which increases young children's vocabulary. I would have this book in my classroom as a learning concept for science and language & literacy. I love how the book is short in length and not to long for young children. It also had a lot of rhyming words to demonstate ways of how to write rhymes and hear other rhyming sounds. The background pictures of the animals also show the animals habitat and their environments. This book could be used ...more
Linda
Our story opens with a young boy riding atop a cricket through the forest. He proclaims himself as quick as a cricket, as slow as a snail, as small as an ant, as large as a whale, as sad as a basset, as happy as a lark, as nice as a bunny, and as mean as a shark. He goes on describing himself to be as cold as a toad, hot as a fox, weak as a kitten, strong as an ox, as loud as a lion, as quite as a clam. He feels he is as tough as a rhino, as gentle as a lamb, as brave as a tiger, as shy as a shr ...more
Bunty Jah
Quick as a cricket is an all time favorite for many children. This book is fun to read to kids and kids love it because after reading it a few times children can memorize it easily. This is a good book for children that just start reading. It introduce them to new simple words that can be easy to read over and over again. The illustrations and colors was really good on this book. I will definitely recommend it to parents with children age 3-6 years old. Love this book.
Theodora
This is a wonderful book, full of colorful pictures of sea animals found in the ocean, different types of domestic animals and animals found in the forest or at the zoo. It can be used in the classroom for science or
language & literacy. It has a little poetry.

Learning Extension
Children can imitate the different animals in the book. Pretend to be that animal and make the sound. Lots of new words.(adjectives).Comparing animals size, color.
Serene Atkins-Tate
Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood, uses metaphors to compare a child to various animals. The book allows children to reflect on their own qualities and be able to make comparisons. The children are also able to learn significant qualities of many different animals. The language in the book is simple and written in metaphors and rhyming words. The illustrations of each animal on every page makes the book easy to follow. I rated the book 3 stars.
Catherine
Quick as a Cricket is a fun, simplistic, imaginative and colorful book filled with adjectives as the main character describes himself. The author uses animals, insects and creatures of the sea to help children become self aware. From emotions, sounds, and size along with vibrant and richly colored illustrations I can imagine children describing themselves with their own vocabulary in conversations. For parents this book could be utilized to engage their children in conversations about how they v ...more
Melissa Holt
Quick as a cricket is a great book to read to children. I put this book under the all about me category because it describes the child’s characteristics by using similes. For example, “I’m as strong as an ox.” I love how the author used the insects and animals to describe someone’s characteristics. This is great for children to make the comparison between themselves and maybe there favorite animal, and maybe do a lesson on similes.
Jill
I've read this book to my children before. They didn't remember it. No worries, I was happy to read it again. I love the illustrations depicting the various sides of the child's personality. To imagine yourself "as large as a whale" is one thing, to see it in Don Wood's illustration is another. We all enjoyed it again, even if they don't remember all the previous readings. I'm ready to read it many more times in the future.
Chanita Zimmerman
I love this book. I remember this was one of the first books I learned to read as a child. This book introduces many characteristics. It help children build confidence in themselves and reading.

Extension: This book has many animals, have the children explore these animals and characteristics. Discuss how these characteristic are similar to themselves.
MsLISt
Every time I share this book with a child, their eyes get wide with each page turn. They always find at least one of the illustrations that they identify with in that moment and it's fun to pick favorite pics. Then there's the wonderful rhythmic language of each carefully-chosen simile...and then its illustration goes above and beyond. I think this beauty of a book also imparts a rare sense of validation for being a child.
Diana Acosta
This is such a great book for early readers, it is rich vocabulary because it shows opposites such as loud and quiet. The illustrations are so well done, ventures and fun. I read this to my nephew and looked interested on the book and he is 13 months old. I definitely see my self reading this to children in a classroom setting.
Gricel
This is a wonderful book to show the children the many ways that a child can be, from physical to emotional perspective. It has very short but at the same time very well described similes. Excellent option for beginners readers. The illustrations are amazing drawings full of color and texture. It could be used for showcase. Ages 1-5.
Ayana
I really enjoyed this book the bright and vivid pictures really capture the book. The comparisons in the book gives it depth and variety. The children could also add on and make his or her own adaptation of the book and put what they are quick as. The book captured my attention and kept me asking for more comparisons.
Holly N.
Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood is a book that utilizies the literary device called a simile. It's a great teaching tool for children to learn what a simile is and perhaps will inspire them to create a simile about themselves. Self-awareness is also a social-emotional skill that can be developed with the help of this book.
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Leo the Late Bloomer
  • Flower Garden
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • The Tiny Seed
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • The Three Little Javelinas
  • My Many Colored Days
  • Where's My Teddy?
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...
The Napping House King Bidgood's in the Bathtub Silly Sally Heckedy Peg Piggies