Start by marking “Pulling Me Under (Pulling Me Under, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pulling Me Under (Pulling Me Under, #1)

Pulling Me Under (Pulling Me Under #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Paul was Katie’s rock for thirteen years, but then she watched him die.

By day, she is left with her daughter Ella’s questions about where Daddy went, and at night she's consumed with nightmares of the moment he died. It isn’t long before Katie’s mother hints that her volatile lifestyle and developing drinking habits are no way to raise a little girl.

Through it all, her and
Paperback
Published October 13th 2013 (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pulling Me Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulling Me Under

Sorcha O'Dowd
OMG! Am shaking! Such an amazing, heart wrenching and inspirational story! Full review to come when I can strong together a coherent sentence! 6 stars!

Edit - full review

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow is the only way in which I can describe this book. I've found it so difficult to write my thoughts down about how much I loved and connected to this novel because it is such a personal, emotional and heartwrenching story that any words I say won't do it justice.
A. Bookzilla.
Oct 16, 2013 A. Bookzilla. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First I need to say that you do not have to read the prequel novella to this book, but it's free, so why not?

So, I read Rebecca Berto's first full novel (Drowning in You) earlier in the year and I had some issues with it, but this one completely convinced me.

I knew she was a good writer - there's this almost lyrical quality about the way she expresses herself, but in Pulling Me Under it takes a whole new level.

It's so well crafted - there are twists and turns at every corner, and I absolutely lo
Sue1958
I have had to give this 5 stars.

Just study this amazing cover, water pulls you in, life sucks you out.
Mothers, daughters, emotive past issues and the author has you in the palm of her hands.
I previously sat and read the prequel to this, Precise. After reading that one I just couldn't wait to read this follow on.

This author is a fantastic story teller. I've not read such a book written in such a way. I don't want to further the storyline more than what the blurb already tells you, let me just s
Haley
Nov 03, 2013 Haley rated it did not like it
Awful. Sorry....wish I would have loved it but could not connect in any way to main character. Didn't love or hate her. Just didn't care. Ugh!
Rachelle Ayala
Oct 04, 2013 Rachelle Ayala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-2013
Be prepared for an anguishing emotional experience. Pulling Me Under pulls the reader into the heart and soul of Kate Anselin, a young widow with a six-year-old daughter, who drowns in grief over the death of her husband, a horrible death she witnessed and believes she caused.

In deep stream of consciousness, the reader stumbles through Kates' life, groggy, confused, angry, and at times incoherent, haunted by nightmares, flashbacks and guilt. Kates is failing to deal with her reality and even tho
Book Addict Mumma
Nov 06, 2013 Book Addict Mumma rated it it was amazing
Pulling Me Under – Rebecca Berto

I honestly don't know how to put into words how I feel, I was shaking whilst reading this book it is breathtakingly beautiful and so well written by Miss Berto.

I loved Rebecca's first book, but PMU knocked this one out of the park, I was completely entranced, I just could not put in down, I did read Precise before hand and loved that too, but my review is for PMU.

Let me first say that the mother in Precise, I would have ripped her head off and shoved it up her but
Christy
Oct 01, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
**ARC**
This story was a tough story for me to get through. It took us through Kates life as she was dealing with the loss of her husband Paul, who she felt as if she murdered. She wasted away daily on Johnny Walker and sleeping pills. The only thing that seemed to bring her out of her buzz was her daughter Ella.

This book is a continuation of Precise where we meet Kates and her husband Paul, Liam who is their best friend, and Kates mom Rochelle, who is nothing but a controlling, vindictive woma
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Sep 28, 2013 ღ☆ღ Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a heart felt story about life,love and loss.Learning how to deal with it and learning the hard way. I loved and hated this character in this story,I felt sorry for her but at the same time I just wanted to shake the crap out of her for all the wrong choices she was making.This story just pulls you into so many different emotions,I felt like it was all happening to me!

Katie watched her husband of fifteen years die.She is faced with trying to go on with her life without him.But with her n
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews
This definitely is not a book for the faint of heart. I was left speechless after reading Pulling Me Under. There are so many emotions flowing through this book, many times I found myself in search of tissue for my teary eyes and running nose. This book deals with loss, hardships, and love.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a great but emotional read. The writing was fabulous, the story was terrific, and the overall flow was great.

In Pulling Me Under you watch Katie as she struggles to cope
Eileen Proksch
Oct 12, 2013 Eileen Proksch rated it liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wish I would have. I found Katie pretty annoying and her actions not always understandable. Sure, she lost her husband but damn, she still has a daughter who lost her dad. More than the first 20% of the book were about Katie's grief and how she felt and how she lost her husband and how she drank and didn't really 'care' about her daughter. It made me dislike the book at the beginning even though it
Duca Blueheart
Jan 05, 2015 Duca Blueheart rated it really liked it
At the first sight I thought that this book was just another dramatic book, but after pages, I discovered that it is an amazing thriller.

The main character isn't a super-women, it is just a women who suffered a lot and had some traumatic experiences. She was destroyed, but with some help from a true friend and the supreme feeling of love, a Mother's love, for her 7 years old daughter, she manage to survive and change her destiny.

Pulling Me Under is a book about life, destiny and how you can surv
Gemma James
Sep 18, 2014 Gemma James rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-covers
In Precise, the FREE prequel to Pulling Me Under, we got to meet Katie and her husband Paul. We got to see how supportive he was of her, how much they relied on each other, and we got to see how complete Ella, their new baby, made their family.

Having read Precise, it was interesting to see the changes in Katie after Paul's death. Her grief in this book will rip your heart out—it's tangible and heart breaking and it has obviously changed her. She's hardened, not so innocent anymore, and she isn't
Sheree
Oct 14, 2013 Sheree rated it it was amazing
Was given ARC for my review. Review is still in progress but this book was one of the best reads for me this year! Hands down. Pick this up as soon as it's released! Add it to your TBR! I don't care as long as you experience this amazing book as soon as possible!
Chris- Bookaddict
Oct 18, 2013 Chris- Bookaddict marked it as to-read
Got my ARC woo hoo !!!!
Shawna Shauntia
Sep 13, 2014 Shawna Shauntia marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-blast-blitz

Ella’s school-dress buttons and collar change color. They’re business-shirt blue and only three buttons are done up because Paul was lifeless, gone, by the time I got to him but Paul’s not really here and maybe Ella is. Maybe I’m not here, either.

I dig my nails into the laminate until I want to scream from the pressure of my bending nails. Okay, so I’m still here.

“What did I do?” Ella’s voice breaks, and it sounds as if she chokes on her last word.

Ella deserves a mother who will pull h
Maureen Mayer
Oct 01, 2013 Maureen Mayer rated it really liked it
What would you do if one day you came home to find your husband's lifeless body on your bedroom floor?

Four months after Paul's death, Katie finds solace in sleeping pills and Johnny Walker. Soon she is spiraling out of control and losing her grip on reality. She often dreams of the day she found Paul surrounded by his own blood and vomit, but is unaware is she is even awake or sleeping. She even goes as far as to blame herself for killing him. That first week after his death hasn't ended for her
Kim
Oct 13, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Pulling Me Under is a story that will unsettle you. It will rattle your emotions. Only the most raw of emotions, only the most brutal truths can really shake you at your core. Pulling Me Under is all of the above. This is not a story about a picture-perfect family and cookie-cut characters. This is a story about a family that is raw with shades of love, hate, grief, rage and redemption. In the prequel, Precise, you met Katie. But in Pulling Me Under, Katie slips under your skin and challenges yo ...more
Allison
Oct 26, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-hdx, suspense
~Arc provide by Author in exchange for an honest review~

4 Heart Wrenching Stars

Kates has been drowning herself in alcohol and sleeping pill for the past 4 months after finding her husband Paul, dead on the bedroom floor. She has pushed away everyone in her life friends, family, even their 6 year old daughter, Ella. Kates will do whatever it takes to avoid anything that triggers any memory of that day.

Kate's mother, Rochelle implies that Kate is an unfit mother and insists on babysitting Ella an
Kylie Lacovich (The Reading Cow)
I honestly enjoyed Pulling Me Under a lot more than it's prequel, Precise. I felt a connection with the characters in this book, and thinking back to Precise, it definitely paves the road for this story.

Pulling Me Under is set five years ahead of Precise. After her husband's death, Katie develops PTSD. For the first part of the book, I was thinking "Oh no! She's turned into her mother!" A lot of her mother Rochelle's traits had definitely surfaced in Katie at the beginning of this book. To forge
Heidi Chickerell
I couldn't connect with Kates therefore I wasn't interested in her story, whatsoever. DNF for me.
Jeanne
Feb 21, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can really see this book as a movie.. I am not 100% sold on the ending felt it just was missing something more.
Melisa Hamling
SHEESUS! If you don't have this on your TBR list, Get it there, NOW! Holy crap! I'm soooo in a freaking whirlwind right now that I can't even do a review! I have to settle down, get my head in check.... because the title? It does just that! Pulls you freaking UNDER! Spits you back to the surface, drags you back down and throws you back up! It will blow you to the fraking moon, to the sun... and mess with your mind, but I. LOVED. EVERY. BIT. OF. IT! I give you a galaxy of stars, Rebecca Berto!
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Oct 09, 2013 Philomena Callan Cheekypee rated it really liked it
This is a heartbreaking story. We met the characters in the novella Precise so I'd definetly recommend you read it first.
The mental abuse is rife in this book. The main character goes through so much heart ache you just wanna go & save her.
This author is a fantastic story teller. She has that knack of making you feel that your there beside Katie & sharing in her pain.
Be warned this is a hard story to read but I'm glad I did.
Received from author in return for honest review.
Nov 24, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
DNF:I tried reading this book for 3 days I just couldn't finish it. I read the 1st book and was able to connect to most of the characters but when I started this book I couldn't continue. I wanted to really get the connection with any one of the characters. I took a break and came back to it but it wasn't there. I read all the 5 and 4 star reviews and was waiting for me to get to that point but it never came.
Kate
Oct 30, 2013 Kate marked it as to-read
I like the look of this one - and it's an Aussie Author too! :D But the cover does creep me out a little...
Tina
Nov 06, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
Such a riveting story. Totally loved it!
Maria Castillo
Maria Castillo marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Khyati
Khyati marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Diana Garcia
Diana Garcia marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
  • In Too Deep (In Too Deep, #1)
  • Phoenix
  • The Elephant Girl
  • My Rock
  • After the Rain (Rain Trilogy, #3)
  • Undertow
  • Going Thru Hell
  • Anonymously Yours (Yours, #1)
  • Unexpected Chance (Chance, #1)
  • Unspoken Memories (Unspoken, #1)
  • This Side of Forever
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • The Long Game (American Gypsy, #1)
  • Indigo Instinct (Indigo, #2)
  • The Sound of Shooting Stars
  • For the Save (Playing for Keeps #4)
  • Shards of Us
  • Dear Amy
writer, graphic designer, crazy cat (and dog) lady, tea snob, superhero girlfriend. ...more
More about Rebecca Berto...