Start by marking “The Trap” as Want to Read:
The Trap

The Trap (The Butlers #1)

The heir to Martina Cole’s crown with a story of murder, the underworld, violence and treachery.

The Butlers are the kings of the East End

Vinny and Roy Butler are the apple of their mum’s eye. Queenie knows they can play dirty, but when it comes to family they look after business and make her proud. Nothing and no one can bring them down.

Brotherly love

But Vinny seems to hav
ebook
Published January 31st 2013 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trap

Mo
Feb 16, 2016 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know when you read a book or a series and the main character is horrible but you have hopes that he will turn the tables and have some redeeming features. Honestly, I cannot see how Ms Chambers can turn the tide for Vinny Butler. He is horrible. I fucking hated him. He is manipulative, violent, out for himself ... I did not like him one little bit. As they might say in the East End, he's a proper pig's bollocks!

Queenie and Vivian are sisters. Queenie rules the Butler Empire ... well at least
♥Sharon♥
Mar 02, 2016 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Well that was quite the ride on the Butler crazy train I’ll tell ya. And I have jumped back on for book #2!

As I was muddling through the first chapter of The Trap, I wasn’t sure how I felt about it but seeing as I was having a lot of “firsts” with this one I kept an open mind and it surely paid off.

It was set back in the 60’s & 70’s….loved the lyrical threads, the writing, the humor and the grit.

This was my first book by Kimberly Chambers, my first gangster book, my first London’s East End
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
5 FuCk ThE BuTLErS StArS

To say that Ms Chambers gave it to me LOCK StOcK & TwO SmOkInG BaRReLs is a understatement.......what a blinding start to this series.

ViNNy BuTLeR

What a horrible bastard, cold mean callous bastard.....but what a great character Ms Chambers created.....hated HIM....really, really HATED him.

Yep he was a real.......

The Butlers....set in the heart of London's East End.......it tells the trials and tribulations of the Butler Family.

Queenie Butler ruled the roost, and h
Karen
Mar 03, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

OMFG! What rollercoaster ride that was!!! I must try to recoup my wits before I can write any kind of coherent review... I am fucking speechless. What a fantastic TV series this would make!!! There should be a warning though. Highly addictive, and prone to cause heavy substance abuse and moderate insanity... oh and definitely NOT for the weak-bladdered!
Elaine
5 crazy gripping stars

Love this series so much doing a re-read........2016

photo 7976176_orig_zps2d801983.gif

Every now and again I love going back to my roots when it comes to a good old English East End gangster story. And finding this gem by Kimberley Chambers certainly hit all the right spots...

And why?

photo thetrap_AutoCollage_8_Images_3ddd_zps443b0340.jpg

I've just met the Butler family
The apple of his mother Queenie's eye is Vinny the oldest of the brothers, suave, good looking and loves being told he looks like he has a touch of Italian and Irish in him, he has the looks and
Book Addict Shaun
Feb 21, 2013 Book Addict Shaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The best book I will read this year. I first discovered Kimberley Chambers last year when I read The Feud, the first in a trilogy. I then read the following two books over the course of a week finishing the last book at 6 in the morning as I couldn't go to sleep until I had reached the end. I have read her other books and I really enjoyed them however the trilogy was just fantastic. The Schemer was the next book Kimberley wrote after completing the trilogy and after the move to a new publisher a ...more
Christine
Aug 19, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you hate a family so much in a book? Meet the Butlers oh boy what a family.
Queenie and Vivian sisters. The name says it all for Queenie she really does think she's royalty. Four children Vinny, Roy, Michael and Brenda. Vivians son Lenny not all their but a lovely character.
Vinny the eldest son is manipulative, self centred and Evil through to the bone. I can't think of enough words at the moment to describe how I feel about him I hate him that much.
Lots of great characters in this famil
Best Crime Books & More
Jan 22, 2013 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
In KC’s latest book we get to meet the wonderfully nutty family The Butlers. Having read all of Chambers books you get to the stage where you wonder what she is going to come up with next. Thankfully she still has a head full of ideas and crazy characters that had me both laughing and gasping in shock at the same time. Vinny and Roy Butler are the apple of their Mum Queenie’s eye. They can do no wrong, even if they do operate outside the law. IN the early part of the book we get introduced to a ...more
Lainy
Jan 22, 2013 Lainy rated it it was amazing
Time Taken To Read - 3 days

Blurb From Goodreads

The Butlers are the kings of the East End

Brotherly love

But Vinny seems to have crossed the wrong person and his cards are marked. And with the brothers jo
L★
Aug 12, 2016 L★ rated it did not like it
Shelves: bye, 2016-reads
DNF at 3%.

I just can't deal with slow-paced and constant switching POVs. I can't follow.
Vickie
Jul 20, 2013 Vickie rated it it was ok
Don't fall into The Trap
Apart from purchasing books by my favourite authors, all books by unknown authors are bought based on other readers' reviews. 95% of the time it's a good benchmark, but sadly in this instance I felt cheated. I suppose the only consolation is that I downloaded Part 1 of this book (chapters 1-11) for free off Amazon. Unfortunately, I've lost something more precious than cash, and that is my time.
Anyway, the story starts with the introduction of several characters, plots, s
Janet Rainey
Sep 15, 2013 Janet Rainey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I do not normally read this genre and had never heard of this author before.

Vinny Butler is evil personified, he does not have one single redeeming quality, it is fascinating yet very troubling to discover how his mind works and the motivations he has. He is a total control freak, what he can't control he manipulates to suit his needs. I have never read a darker character. His family are a strange mixture of characters, each one dealing with loyalty
Alan Bennett
Mar 22, 2016 Alan Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I came across this saga when I received Payback, book 2 in the series as a free gift, obviously I had to buy The Trap to find out how the story began. And what a rollercoaster of a read it was. The Butler brothers are gangsters in the east end of London and at times I felt compassion for Roy and Michael but Vinny is one person that you just detest from the word go. Without giving the story away, if you thought of reading this series by Kimberly Chambers, get on it! I'm heading off to start book ...more
Jodie
Jul 27, 2014 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love these books and Kimberley's books always leave me needing more.
Carolyn  Storer
Good start to the series. Onto book 2.
Cindy
Jun 04, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was Eastenders. In the 1960s - 1970s. Which is not to say that it was bad. On the contrary, I love Eastenders.

It was written with "soap like" language, and was dialogue heavy. It could have done with my descriptive imagery. I found that some of the sections were very bare and could have been elaborated on e.g. when a man moving a sofa finds Mary in the alley and when Little Vinny falls through the conservatory (this was skimmed over so much that I questioned its relevance) or when Little Vin
Isadora Moraes
Aug 25, 2016 Isadora Moraes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, 5-stars
4.5 to 4.75
Sep 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I am so dissapointed by this ending. The story is so well written adn the story line is so strong and enthralling and then the ending frustrated me to no end! There is NO ENDING! This is the first part of a series, which sint clearly labelled on the front of the book.

I shant buy the next in the series, not because i don't think it will be any good, but because i am outraged that a thriller would be a two parter and leave the ending so open.
Cathryn
Jul 21, 2016 Cathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, drama
"The Butlers are the kings of the East End".

Good God, I love these gritty East End dramas.

Both Kimberley Chambers and Martina Cole are huge guilty pleasures of mine. I read The Feud series by Kimberley Chambers last year and against my better judgement, fell completely in love with Eddie Mitchell. Consequently, I almost couldn't contain myself when I saw that Chambers had written another series that centres around a villainous East End family. The family in question in The Trap was the Butlers.
Redfred
Jan 22, 2014 Redfred rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two star is probably a bit harsh but although the story was OK I struggled with the style of writing.
I'm sure others will rate it higher but it wasn't for me.
Lisa
May 19, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, own, crime
Set in 1960's East End and the outskirts of London. I loved this setting as some of the places are really close to where I live, so it made the story even more real for me!
The Butler family are the main family in the book with Mum Queenie and her sons Vinny, Roy and Michael. Vinny thinks he is going to be as big as the Krays!
There is also the Walker family, who have just moved into Whitechapel buying a cafe. Mary and Donald are informed by someone who is known as "mad Freda" that the Butlers a
Louise
Oct 28, 2015 Louise rated it liked it
The Trap by Kimberley Chambers, is the first book in a hard-hitting series about murder, treachery and the kings of East London underworld, the Butlers. The Butlers play dirty and are a family highly feared within their own community. No one it seems can bring them down, until things start to unravel when one bloody night leads to a path of desperate vengeance.

Vinnie and Roy Butler are the apple of their mum’s eye. Queenie knows they can play dirty but when it comes to family, the lads look afte
Julia
Apr 03, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
What a read. Certainly fast paced and likely to cause you some late night reading because you have to know if the guy ever gets his comeuppance. Does he, well in a way, but as there are other books in the series you might guess he lives to fight another day. Great characters, a mix of good and bad and the way they intertwine is marvellous.

Only one niggle, Ben Bloggs! Seriously does anyone actually have the surname "Bloggs". It's not like there aren't so many surnames in the world to choose from,
Yolanda Davis
Dec 29, 2013 Yolanda Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received The Trap from a goodreads giveaway. I had previously read K.C's Billy Jo so had wanted to read more of her work so getting it in the post was great.
It took me a while to get into but when i did i couldn't put it down. The Butler family are a typical EastEnd crime family with old school morals and are loyal to each other to the death (literally). Vinnie Butler is the eldest son and the most manipulative evil peice of work you could imagine, but at the same time tries to be the best son
Kerry
Sep 04, 2014 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well....what can I say?!?!? The book was repetitive and was written like a cheap tv saga!
I found myself getting bored with it. I didn't like any character in the book and all the male characters seemed to be doing was getting everyone pregnant. As Jeremy Kyle would say 'put something on the end if it.'

I have bought 'Payback' but I doubt I will read it as I think it is probably as bad as the first one.
Hannah Taylor
Jan 15, 2016 Hannah Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding , can't wait to read the next book

Gripping , couldn't put it down . This book isn't my usual style but I loved it. I stumbled across the series and I'm so glad I have . Addictive and thrilling . You really feel like you know the characters , so easy to picture it being your street in that time era .
Jill Burkinshaw
Feb 26, 2016 Jill Burkinshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typically I dont read gangster type novels but I got Payback as a deal and I have to read series in order so I downloaded The Trap. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it although there were bits I wasn't too sure about I do like to think that in the long term people cant get away with murder. I also don't really like many of the characters but that adds to the suspense of the book.
Jane
Jan 30, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I wouldn't like to meet any of the Butler family in a dark alley. Or maybe even a well lit one. A great story revolving around an East End London family. It skipped time periods on two occasions and I found myself regretting that I hadn't been around in those intervening years. Great characters. Some very descriptive passages. Lots of involvement. Enjoyed.
Annette Mccarthy
Jan 15, 2014 Annette Mccarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie scott
Jul 07, 2013 Julie scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a SUPERB read I loved this novel I came across this book as part 1 was free & I could'nt wait to read part 2 & 3. The Butler family rule the Whitechapel town in London & Vinny the key character who is absolute pure evil who does what he wants when he wants including murdering any 1 who gets in his way & @ the same time is a real mummy's boy & will do anything to keep his mummy Queenie & auntie Viv happy. He also has a little boy also named Vinny who is fast becoming ...more
  • Broke
  • Dishonour
  • Ruthless (Annie Carter #5)
  • To Tell The Truth (Rosie Gilmour #2)

The Butlers (4 books)
  • Payback
  • The Wronged
  • Tainted Love (The Butlers #4)