The Trap

The Trap

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The heir to Martina Cole’s crown with a story of murder, the underworld, violence and treachery.

The Butlers are the kings of the East End

Vinny and Roy Butler are the apple of their mum’s eye. Queenie knows they can play dirty, but when it comes to family they look after business and make her proud. Nothing and no one can bring them down.

Brotherly love

But Vinny seems to hav...more
ebook
Published January 31st 2013 by Harper

Book Addict Shaun
The best book I will read this year. I first discovered Kimberley Chambers last year when I read The Feud, the first in a trilogy. I then read the following two books over the course of a week finishing the last book at 6 in the morning as I couldn't go to sleep until I had reached the end. I have read her other books and I really enjoyed them however the trilogy was just fantastic. The Schemer was the next book Kimberley wrote after completing the trilogy and after the move to a new publisher a...more
Elaine
5 crazy gripping stars

photo 7976176_orig_zps2d801983.gif

Every now and again I love going back to my roots when it comes to a good old English East End gangster story. And finding this gem by Kimberley Chambers certainly hit all the right spots...

And why?

photo thetrap_AutoCollage_8_Images_3ddd_zps443b0340.jpg

I've just met the Butler family
The apple of his mother Queenie's eye is Vinny the oldest of the brothers, suave, good looking and loves being told he looks like he has a touch of Italian and Irish in him, he has the looks and charm that women go weak for... but underneath he i...more
Best Crime Books
In KC’s latest book we get to meet the wonderfully nutty family The Butlers. Having read all of Chambers books you get to the stage where you wonder what she is going to come up with next. Thankfully she still has a head full of ideas and crazy characters that had me both laughing and gasping in shock at the same time. Vinny and Roy Butler are the apple of their Mum Queenie’s eye. They can do no wrong, even if they do operate outside the law. IN the early part of the book we get introduced to a...more
Lainy
Time Taken To Read - 3 days

Blurb From Goodreads

The Butlers are the kings of the East End

Brotherly love

But Vinny seems to have crossed the wrong person and his cards are marked. And with the brothers jo...more
I am so dissapointed by this ending. The story is so well written adn the story line is so strong and enthralling and then the ending frustrated me to no end! There is NO ENDING! This is the first part of a series, which sint clearly labelled on the front of the book.

I shant buy the next in the series, not because i don't think it will be any good, but because i am outraged that a thriller would be a two parter and leave the ending so open.
Lisa
Set in 1960's East End and the outskirts of London. I loved this setting as some of the places are really close to where I live, so it made the story even more real for me!
The Butler family are the main family in the book with Mum Queenie and her sons Vinny, Roy and Michael. Vinny thinks he is going to be as big as the Krays!
There is also the Walker family, who have just moved into Whitechapel buying a cafe. Mary and Donald are informed by someone who is known as "mad Freda" that the Butlers a...more
Vickie
Don't fall into The Trap
Apart from purchasing books by my favourite authors, all books by unknown authors are bought based on other readers' reviews. 95% of the time it's a good benchmark, but sadly in this instance I felt cheated. I suppose the only consolation is that I downloaded Part 1 of this book (chapters 1-11) for free off Amazon. Unfortunately, I've lost something more precious than cash, and that is my time.
Anyway, the story starts with the introduction of several characters, plots, s...more
Louise
The Trap by Kimberley Chambers, is the first book in a hard-hitting series about murder, treachery and the kings of East London underworld, the Butlers. The Butlers play dirty and are a family highly feared within their own community. No one it seems can bring them down, until things start to unravel when one bloody night leads to a path of desperate vengeance.

Vinnie and Roy Butler are the apple of their mum’s eye. Queenie knows they can play dirty but when it comes to family, the lads look afte...more
Janet Rainey
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I do not normally read this genre and had never heard of this author before.

Vinny Butler is evil personified, he does not have one single redeeming quality, it is fascinating yet very troubling to discover how his mind works and the motivations he has. He is a total control freak, what he can't control he manipulates to suit his needs. I have never read a darker character. His family are a strange mixture of characters, each one dealing with loyalty...more
Yolanda Davis
I received The Trap from a goodreads giveaway. I had previously read K.C's Billy Jo so had wanted to read more of her work so getting it in the post was great.
It took me a while to get into but when i did i couldn't put it down. The Butler family are a typical EastEnd crime family with old school morals and are loyal to each other to the death (literally). Vinnie Butler is the eldest son and the most manipulative evil peice of work you could imagine, but at the same time tries to be the best son...more
Annette Mccarthy
Julie scott
What a SUPERB read I loved this novel I came across this book as part 1 was free & I could'nt wait to read part 2 & 3. The Butler family rule the Whitechapel town in London & Vinny the key character who is absolute pure evil who does what he wants when he wants including murdering any 1 who gets in his way & @ the same time is a real mummy's boy & will do anything to keep his mummy Queenie & auntie Viv happy. He also has a little boy also named Vinny who is fast becoming...more
Kerrie
Was very pleased to win this book, via a the first reads comp on here... after receiving the email I got the book within a couple of days and started to read it straight away...
Loved this book from start to finish (which wasn't very long as I found it hard to put down).. The book has a very fast pace to it, but extremly easy to follow...loved all the characters in the book as well which really helps...

Will be on the lookout for more of Kimberley Chambers books to read in the future.

received the...more
Jacki
Brilliant couldn't put it down.
John Constable
Dodgy writing. Great characterisations.
Denise
Brilliant can't wait to read the follow up.
Jay Uppal
Wow. First of let me say thanks to goodreads and the author for such a wonderful giveaway. I normally don't read crime fiction that much but this book was absolutely amazing I seriously could not put it down. There were only a few small details that had me a little baffled but the story of The Butlers was still exciting enough to carry me through to the end. I'd recommend this to anyone who is into crime fiction or mystery books.
Joanne
Personally I've read too many East End family 'gang' crime books to be impressed, if your interested in the psychology it's a superficial read without insight into the criminal world. Then it doesn't proclaim to do! It's a story & is what it is I couldn't put it down like all of 'Chambers' books gripping from the first page fast paced perfect flow & I will be reading the next ...
Clare
Being a huge fan of Martina Cole I felt hard pushed to find anyone better. However, for the first time in a very long time, it has taken me less than three days to read all 3 books of the Butler trilogy. Gripped from the start the trilogy was an easy read and a story that I thoroughly enjoyed. I will be reading more from Kimberley Chambers.
Nicola
The Butler family is yet another gangster family 3 sons ! daughter and a aunty and mother who dote on them all vinnie is the eldest followed by ron, michael and sister brenda
Vinnie id rotten to the core and many people hate him, roy atkes a bullet for him

I did enjoy this book but im all GANGSTERED OUT at the minute
Janine Causley
If I could give this book 10 stars I would it's utterly addictive from the very first page only 11 months to go for the next book from this fantastic author for anyone who hasn't read a Kimberley Chambers book I dare you to pick one up and then not go through all the rest fantastic fantastic fantastic
Rosie Bowers
Ok so the only reason I have this a 4 is because I gave 'The schemer' a 5 and I thought that was better! Having said that I suppose I haven't finished the whole story yet so maybe the overall will be a 5!
A must read for All lovers of Kimberley Chambers!
Denise
Kimberley Chambers' books are just fantastic! I have read them all & this is another favourite. A must read for anyone who likes a gritty gripping page-turner of a read. Can't wait for the next installment Payback, roll on January!
Livvi881
wow!! what a book this is a first kimberley I have read and will definetly be reading more taken me less than 24hours to read start to finish :-0 had me laughing out loud to gasping with shock definetly recommend! !
Shirley
This is the first book that I've ever read by Kimberley chambers and can't wait to read her other books. Really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend I literally could not put my kindle down!
Couchcmdr
Two star is probably a bit harsh but although the story was OK I struggled with the style of writing.
I'm sure others will rate it higher but it wasn't for me.
Maggie Wilson
Excellent ! If it were possible to give a 6* review then this is the book to receive it ! Read in two sittings, gripping right through to the end. Well done Kimberley
Amanda Shearman
Loved this book......as usual Kimberley has introduced the characters so well that we now either hate or love the Butlers.....cant wait for Payback
  • Broke
  • Dishonour
  • Dirty Game (Annie Carter #1)
  • Cold Killing (D.I. Sean Corrigan #1)
  • The Ladykiller
  • Sunshine, With a Chance of Snow
  • Taunting the Dead
  • Forgive Me
  • Killer Heels
The Schemer The Feud (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #1) Born Evil The Traitor (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #2) The Betrayer