Start by marking “The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper, #8)

The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper #8)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The ultra-elegant fund-raiser in a fabled Main Line mansion benefits Philly Prep's Library, and gives Amanda a chance to play Cinderella for a night. The first clue that all might not go well is the host's figure hanging in effigy outside the estate, put there by the Moral Ecologists who have a long list of classic books that "pollute the mind." When murder follows, Amanda ...more
Published November 21st 2012 by Untreed Reads (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Bluest Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bluest Blood

Beth
I am new to Gillian Roberts (the nom de plume of Judith Greber) and her series staring Philadelphia High School English teacher Amanda Pepper. I like Pepper who, like her name, has spunk. She is also kind and dedicated to her students. She loves the arts and yearns to live in the palatial home of one of her students, which she and her police detective lover visit one evening. Her longings are disturbed by the presence of a loathsome protester and things go downhill from there. Her school princip ...more
Sharon
Amanda Pepper, English teacher at the private school, Philly Prep, is invited to a gala at the home of the ultra rich Roederers--purported descendants of Ben Franklin and various royalty of Europe. At the gala, she meets up with another student's step-father who is a member of a group wanting to ban books because the pollute the minds of children. Murders, hangings in effigy, lies, hysterics and danger before there is a solution to the mayhem. Good twist at the end, but not what I expected.
Ariadne
Oh no, I thought at first, here she goes again.
After the crazy white supremacists in a previous book, in this one it's the crazy bigots against youth-corrupting-books.

And Amanda Pepper, the English teacher/occasional sleuth and main character, just isn't all that believable when single-handedly fighting Evil with a capital E.

Reading on, I was therefore pleasantly surprised to see this 8th book in the series return to what made me like Mandy in the first place. The writing is still flawless, Am
Fmorlan
Amanda Pepper teacher in Philly. She and CK attend a gala for her school at a mansion on the Main Line. Meeting the Roederers was an experience which leads her into investigating more than one murder. I liked this book because it talks about censorship of books even though a cozy fun mystery.
Roberta
Sep 02, 2012 Roberta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not liking it but bought & paid for so I'm trying to read it. One good line: "Luxury was standing up by the time I arrived."

On page 130 Amanda asks herself "Has anyone since Oscar Wilde gone to prison for sexual preference?" She probably should have asked someone else since anyone stupid enough to ask that question is too stupid to answer it.

Amanda still hasn't got a clue about the "C.K." in C.K. MacKenzie. She didn't get the hint.
Julie
I don't really understand how one plot point worked, but I still enjoyed the journey and the resolution.
David Vanness
Nov 08, 2013 David Vanness marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Mine is Library Large Print 261 page Hardback by Thomas T. Beeler, Publisher.
Trisha
Just wasn't a fan.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Stephanie Arthurs
Stephanie Arthurs marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Vickie
Vickie added it
Mar 07, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Pam Axelrad
Pam Axelrad marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Susan Ryan
Susan Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Karen Berzins
Karen Berzins marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Untreed Reads: Now In Ebook Format! Gillian Roberts’ THE BLUEST BLOOD 1 2 Feb 12, 2013 02:40PM
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)
  • Three By Tey: Miss Pym Disposes, The Franchise Affair, and Brat Farrar
  • Publish and Perish: Three Tales of Tenure and Terror
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Puzzled Heart (A Kate Fansler Mystery #12)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • American Gun Mystery
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • After Shock (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #3.5)
  • Shadows on the Coast of Maine (Antique Print, #2)
  • Death Without Tenure (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #6)
  • South Of Sanity (Hannah Garvey Mystery #2)
  • Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine
  • The Bishop in the Old Neighborhood (Blackie Ryan, #12)
  • At Home for the Holidays
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)

Amanda Pepper (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1)
  • Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
  • In the Dead of Summer (Amanda Pepper, #6)
  • The Mummers' Curse (Amanda Pepper, #7)
  • Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper, #9)
  • Helen Hath No Fury (Amanda Pepper, #10)
  • Claire and Present Danger (Amanda Pepper, #11)
Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1) I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3) Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2) How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5) Helen Hath No Fury (Amanda Pepper, #10)