Start by marking “Think Tank Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Think Tank Vol. 1

Think Tank Vol. 1 (Think Tank #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Dr. David Loren is many things: child prodigy, inventor, genius, slacker... mass murderer. When a military think tank's smartest scientist decides he can no longer stomach creating weapons of destruction, will he be able to think his way out of his dilemma or find himself subject to the machinations of smaller men?

Collecting the original series (issues 1-4) in its entirety
Published December 5th 2012 by Image Comics (first published December 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Think Tank Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Tank Vol. 1

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanFables, Vol. 2 by Bill Willingham
Great non-super hero Graphic Novels
355th out of 443 books — 121 voters
Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanFatale, Tome 1  by Ed BrubakerMind the Gap, Volume 1 by Jim McCannFatale, Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker
Best of Image Comics
34th out of 35 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles Joy
Redefining F = ma one issue at a time…

The Top 5 Reasons you should pick up this awesome new series:

1.It will make you smarter… or at least you will start to get a small grasp on what is going on in the story that makes you feel stupid.

2.The creative team on this is fantastic. If you are not following them yet, you should be: @topcowmatt and @RahsanEkedal

3.The story is unique, officially classified as non-superhero, but as you will see, there are some pretty super things about the main character.
E. D. Bass
Comic books are a "I get it, or I don't get it", a form of literature and entertainment. Science is a " I get it or I don't get it" discipline and/or form of academic study. And Think Tank is one of the best comic books that uses science that I've ever read. It reminds me of the movie " Real Genius", and puts a darker and more exciting spin on the concept. And creating a wholly original, take on the scientists responsibility to mankind, and the pursuit of intellectual challenge, and work done fo ...more
Eva Jarkiewicz
Dec 02, 2012 Eva Jarkiewicz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
This is one of the best new comic books out there. Perfect time to jump on as this trade collects the first 4 issue arc. The tag line on the cover is on the mark. It's made me smarter as I learn something each issue and it also seems to have made me notice more science and technology posts and articles since I started to read it. Matt Hawkins is a talented writer that gets you to care about the characters. And Rahsan Ekedal brings the story to life with his art. Read it, you won't regret it!
Matt Hawkins
Dec 10, 2012 Matt Hawkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This book is awesome! In contention for the best book ever written this book assures world peace and end to hunger and sexual satisfaction for all! Of course since I wrote this book I might be slightly biased =p. Give it a read and tell me what you think, it was a labor of love. Very proud of this book!

Here is a link to the video trailer for the book;

Eric
horrible techno thriller rife with nerd pandering.

the science is ok, but the story and "people" in that story are the worst kind of nerd wish fulfillment. This character sits on his ass all day and plays video games and gets harassed by the alpha betas, i mean army. ha ha good thing he can outsmart all those jocks who routinely make his life hell!

just...the worst.
Josh
Fabulous new series that puts the science in science fiction. Smart book that keeps you entertained. Gorgeous artwork throughout. Kudos to Matt Hawkins & Rahsan Ekedal.
Derek
Intelligent and fun. I'm happy that it's going to continue past issue #4.

Highly recommended, especially for those who don't usually read comic books!!!
Vanessa Wolf
A NetGalley first reads
The author of this review received an advance copy for an honest review

I'm casual in my knowledge of science, so from the reviews I was worried whether I'd enjoy this series, so for future readers, if you enjoyed say, the first three seasons of the show "Eureka," you'll be able to enjoy this. And the author does take time to explain the real science behind the story, but its in the after bonus content, but there's not much that'll go over your head otherwise.

The story is
Chris Tresson
One of the most intelligent and interesting titles of the year, maybe even the decade. I strongly suggest picking it up, but don't read it all in one sitting... If you do read Think Tank from start to finish, there's a chance your brain will explode and rain down knowledge and brain matter all over the place*. You want to be around for volume 2 don't you? You've been warned!

*DISCLAIMER: This book won't really blow your brain into tiny fragments.

It will make you more awesome after reading it thou
Cat
Jan 04, 2014 Cat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Think Tank is a fun comic and well worth a read. I'm a sucker for eccentric brilliance, and Dr. David Loren fits the bill as a prodigy playing out schemes and plots to leave his government-assigned bunker in the dust. The writing is smart (I actually learned things, which is always appreciated), Loren is snarky enough to be interesting without being wholly unsympathetic. Plus there are some twists that I didn't see coming. Well played, and well worth a look.
Rusty
The wait is finally over. I’m finally reviewing this.

The verdict: Pretty good.

The long version is that this story, probably more than any other comic I’ve read in recent memory, is more along the lines of something I would write if I could do anything I wanted (and actually execute it). Meaning, of course, that this is right up my alley, so to speak.

A Supergenius twentysomething and his regular genius sidekick are lackeys for the govt who are all locked up in a secret facility dreaming up new
Jessica
AH! I love, LOVE LOVE this story!!! So, if I could have a super power it would be to be a physics genius. Well, that and control the weather or be Emma Frost. Ok, but anyway, for about ten years I've had a physics hot spot so when I found this comic I was sooo excited. Of course, as is my timing on most things is bad, the run was almost over so I had to wait for the graphic novel to be published.

So worth the wait!!!

This is a great series and as soon as I get a little cash I'm going to buy the ne
Cale
Super Genius plans the Great Escape from DARPA. That's the book in brief. But it's the details that are fascinating - using near-future or current technologies (for the most part), Dr. David Loren, a late 20's Super Genius, wants out of the military industrial complex. So he gets out. The story is interesting, Loren is a fun character, as are several of those around him, and the bonus articles are filled with links to examples of how everything is drawn from real world tech. This is in many ways ...more
Marcelo Sanchez
Este libro trae la ciencia de vuelta a la ciencia ficción. Usando nada menos que la ciencia actual y estrechandola de una manera tan sutil que te hace imaginar que esta vigente y en existencia. Y mucha de ella posiblemente lo está.
A diferencia de otros libros, este recomiendo comprarlo por números. El comentario al final del libro es parte fundamental de la experiencia y desconozco si esta incluido en el volumen.
La historia es buena, pero no es tan buena. La mayor parte es explicación y exposici
Joe Dean
Got it after reading the NPR review. I knew I was in for trouble when I saw the tag line "Warning: reading this will make you smarter." More eye rolling ensued as I read it. As another reviewer said, it's basically just nerd pandering and wish fulfillment for people who want to see the military get what they dish. The protagonist is self-absorbed and even obnoxious, his only redeeming quality being that he's "smart" and feels guilty about what he's doing, though the author doesn't do a convincin ...more
Kat Dornian
What a fantastic comic! I am in love with the science of it, and the very real moral trials that people designing this technology must face (that I faced when working in a satellite industry). The main character is unlikeable but compelling, and the story is action packed, demanding attention. Extra props for the reference material in the back of the TP that explains where the ideas came from, and where you can find out more about the technologies being developed. I can't say I'm a huge fan of t ...more
Trike
A tremendously entertaining story about a genius slacker who decides he no longer wants to be DARPA's captive whiz kid. I classified it as science eviction but it's not really. Everything that's in the book either already exists or is actively being worked on; if anything, this is tomorrow's future.

I actually know a number of geniuses, and they don't process information the way normal people do. You always feel as if you're racing to catch up. They can make leaps that seem like magical thinking
Koen Claeys
Think Tank is a fun, intelligent read in which Matt Hawkins incorporates his fascination with science in an exciting story, seasoned with a paranoia sauce. Everything revolves around a extremely intelligent guy who invents high-tech weapons for the army and, after witnessing its application, has conscience problems. However, there’s a problem: if you are so valuable to the army, you cannot just give your resignation.

The story is full of high-tech gadgets and in one of the extras, called "Scienc
Matt
A slacker super-genius outsmarts the military. Normally this would turn me off, but it's well written, well illustrated, well researched, is timely, jam packed with story and dialogue, and makes you think about the cutting edge technology that's being developed today and the ethics behind its use. Highly recommended.
Joseph
This was a really quick read before the next book I have to start but this was a fun story! I had heard of it before the comic series started last year but I didn't pick it up on a monthly basis. I decided to try out the first volume and see how it was and it was interesting. The premise of the story is that a genius weapons designer for the government named David Loren has a crisis of conscience because of his inventions being used to kill people. He then decides it's time to get out of his lab ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Fantastic. A science-based spy/action story. Inside secret military government weapons and the scientists who make them. This is a brilliant edge-of-your-seat thriller with its fair share of action but most of it is cerebral as David matches wits with the other scientists and the military hierarchy. I guessed the reveal at the end quite early on but was gleeful to have the story go the way I thought it would rather than disappointed to have figured it out. Absolutely love David as a character an ...more
Brent
Fun read. Dr. David Loren is a Modernized McGyver Jr. I bought this randomly from a suggestion on another purchase. I'm really glad I chanced it. Surprisingly intelligent and based in a near reality of scientific progress. My favorite aspect of the novel is the author, Matt Hawkins' writing, almost a Renaissance view of the world, he brings in multiple issues and merges them into a multi-faceted adventure. "Spoiler-ish" My only issue is that I wanted something in the Godfather plan to go wrong. ...more
Dolores
Scientific research meets intrigue and action in this awesome series opener. David is a genius recruited at 14 to research and develop weapons for the military. He has reached the point of revulsion-not for what he does, but for the way his creations are used. The bloom is definitely off the rose, but there is no way out of his dilemma. He's classified as a national asset, and he's stuck for life. But...genius right? He's concocted his own exit strategy and takes the reader along for the ride. T ...more
Chinch
Bit naive. Bit nerdy. Definitely geeky. It's a little wanna be but not in an irritating way. I'll certainly read the next book in the series :)
Charles
Really wanted to like this, but...eh. Art style was not my taste, dialogue was trying too hard, story left me not caring. Seemed like some good ideas that didn't get wrapped together right.
Joel
May 16, 2013 Joel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This was on NPRs 'Best New Comics' you should be reading right now list, so I thought I would pick it up and give it a try.

I found nothing original or exciting about this work. Not particularly great artwork, and this is the plot:

Character encounters a problem.

"A HA! I'm smarter than you so I've invented XYZ and have planned for a contingency you didn't think of!"

Over and over again.

He's ironman without the complexity and instead of inventing a suit of armor he invents magic underwear. LAME SA
Kevin Mann
This book is excellent, i was a fan from day one. Innovative and heavily researched, it really stretches the bounds of realistic technology in the comic realm world. I dont know what that means exactly , but i do enjoy all the background info the author provides in the back of the individual issues as well. I love the artwork, it is unique and very well executed, but My only complaint,is the protagonist too closely resembles grunge rocker/MLB baseball pitcher Bronson Arroyo.
Nicole
A young genius is recruited by the government to build things, but when those things turn out to be weapons, the young genius wrestles with his conscious. I couldn't put this down, the action in the story is similar to that in a Jason Bourne film, and like the first Bourne film, Hawkins leaves the story hanging after the last page.
Jenna
Gripping and worrying. The notes at the end were especially interesting.

Fuller review (plus a review of Sworn Sword) at TheOtakuLibrarian
Cat Tamayo
Awesome comic! It's smart, witty, funny, keeps you flippin' the page. You'll feel like a geek reading it but who doesn't want to feel like a geek? It's informative and it's obvious that the author is incredibly smart.
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 1: Intimate Strangers
  • Harbinger, Vol 1: Omega Rising
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 1: The Manager
  • Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
  • Great Pacific Volume 1: Trashed!
  • Alex + Ada #1
  • The Wake Part One
  • Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1)
  • Rocket Girl #1
  • Happy!
  • Bedlam, Vol. 1

Think Tank (3 books)
  • Think Tank Vol. 2: Genetics
  • Think Tankm Volume 3: Outbreak
Think Tank Vol. 2: Genetics Tales of Honor #1 Cyberforce: Rebirth, Volume One Aphrodite IX: Rebirth Volume 1 TP (Aphrodite IX: Rebirth) Think Tankm Volume 3: Outbreak