Start by marking “Near to the Wild Heart” as Want to Read:
Near to the Wild Heart

Near to the Wild Heart

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  992 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Near to the Wild Heart, published in Rio de Janeiro in 1943, introduced Brazil to what one writer called “Hurricane Clarice”: a twenty-three-year-old girl who wrote her first book in a tiny rented room and then baptized it with a title taken from Joyce: “He was alone, unheeded, near to the wild heart of life.”

The book was an unpreced
Published June 13th 2012 by New Directions (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Near to the Wild Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Near to the Wild Heart

Garima
Where does music go when it’s not playing?—she asked herself.
And disarmed she would answer:
May they make a harp out of my nerves when I die.

A quest for measuring the eternity and finding some sense in defining the immortality while the object of all desires remains nothing but one’s own life. A truly wild heart.

Like a breath of fresh, melancholic air, Clarice Lispector finally entered my world and brought along an exquisite gift of precious reflections made out of the lyrical strands of dazzl
Agnieszka

Freedom isn’t enough. What I desire doesn’t have a name yet .

It took me some time to understand that one can’t pleased everyone. And if you’re trying , then sooner than later , you'll end up feeling only disappointment and emptiness. Trying to pleasing others , against your own desires and needs , you only hurt yourself. And nobody even notices that.

Oh , Clarice how did you do that , that like hurricane , after all this is how you were named , entered in my well-ordered life ? With this novel ,
Celeste
"Quem és tu que me lês?
És o meu segredo ou sou eu o teu?"

Clarice Lispector

É um livro difícil de entender em toda a sua profundidade. A leitura é complexa devido não só à estrutura narrativa ( rápida mudança de narrador, monólogos interiores) como às características da personagem principal, Joana.

Tudo envolvido num tom de mistério e estranheza de comportamentos e pensamentos que, se tivessem algo de autobiográfico , fariam de Clarice Lispector uma borderliner.

Este "Perto do Coração Selvagem", la
Jessica
Did you know that if you carry books around long enough, moving them from house to house, country to country, they become part of you. You don't even have to open them. Let alone reread them! If your bookcase is near enough to your bed, you can dream their contents. Sentences and paragraphs. Entire novels will become part of your unconsciousness...
I read this eons ago (I was in my 20's!) while living in Mexico City. Yeah I read it in Spanish though it was written in Portuguese. It would've been
Chad Post
There aren't enough superlatives to describe Lispector's writings. Whereas The Hour of the Star reminded me of a Virginia Woolf novel narrated by a prick, this seems much more like a Nathalie Sarraute book. One that is tricky in seeming a bit predictable or pat, but then transforming into so much more.

You win, Lispector, I'm now going to read all of your books.
jeremy
beginning with benjamin moser's 2009 biography, why this world, and later the retranslations of four of her novels (starting with the stunning the hour of the star in 2011), clarice lispector and her writing have attracted a considerable amount of well-deserved attention of late. thirty-five years after her death, many english readers are now being introduced to the singularity of the brazilian author's remarkable prose. published when she was in her early twenties, near to the wild heart (perto ...more
Bob Redmond
Brazilian novelist Clarice Lispector published her first novel, NEAR TO THE WILD HEART, in 1943 at age 23.

It was an immediate sensation, written in a modernist style revolutionary for Brazilian literature. The book set the stage for Lispector's later (and equally praised) books, in which she also used stream of consciousness and other unorthodox writing techniques to explore similar themes, particularly the interior thoughts and emotions of strong female leads. The author, also a journalist and
John Nuño
Near to the Wild Heart is esoteric novel about a married young woman, Joana, who not unlike the author herself, is consumed by her own hyper-awareness. Is it a gift or a curse to see so much, to know so much? In Joana's case, it seems like it's a lot of both. This is not an easy read by any stretch. This is not a big thick Pynchon-like novel - each page filled with as many words that can fit. Near To The Wild Heart is like a white dwarf star - it's not big in mass (it's only 186 pages) but is su ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
A while ago I read a biography about Lispector by Benjamin Moser, and he writes the preface here. I loved the biography and was fascinated by Lispector and was really interested in reading some of her books afterwards.

So, this is the first of her novels that I have read, and I have to admit (and I hate myself for it) that I found it a bit of a struggle. The writing was beautiful but it was page after page of beautiful writing with (as far as I could tell) no connection to each other and totally
Suellen Rubira
Em alguns trechos, me sinto cansada. Em parte, porque dizem muita coisa sobre mim. O resto é porque a Clarice viaja numas que tu nem sabe mais qual é a "coisa" que ela tanto se refere. Mas é intenso.
Isabel Maia
Naquele que foi o pontapé de saída na carreira literária de Clarice Lispector, esta conta-nos a história de Joana. O seu passado e o seu presente, a sua vida da meninice até à idade adulta e todo um manancial de personagens que povoam ou povoaram a sua existência. O pai que morre quando Joana era ainda uma criança e que a incentivava a ser criança; a tia que fica chocada perante as tropelias da sobrinha; o tio fazendeiro sempre meigo com a menina mas que fazia "ouvidos moucos" às reclamações da ...more
Laura Jean
Many times as I was reading Near to the Wild Heart, I had to put the book down and stare off into the nether-distance because something she had said was so spot on and so poetically articulated that I felt my brain was being unpacked and changed.

As much as this is a book about an amoral protagonist trying to make sense of the world, it is also about alienation and the miracle that two, or three, individuals ever come to understand each other at all.

Lispector's first, and thus far my favorite of
Toma Andreea Iulia
Începutul a fost greu. Mă gândeam să abandonez. Apoi, m-am lăsat cuprinsă de atmosfera cărții și i-am descoperit treptat frumusețea. Voi scrie pe blog după ce-mi așez impresiile în minte.
Yossibarzilai
¿ Qué clase de genio escribe así con sólo 17 años?
Dan
Jun 11, 2013 Dan added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
not quite the revelation that i found hour of the star to be, but measuring up to that one is next to impossible. still, near to the wild heart is a worthy follow-up, albeit one that fits more comfortably in the canon of modernist literature.

as in star, this largely plot-less novel concerns the inner life of an eccentric woman named joanna. joanna isn't quite as bizarre and enigmatic as star's macabea, but she's still a strange mixture of loyalty, defiance, sophistication and willful immaturity.
Rafael Ferreira
Os que acompanham o blog já devem ter notado que não faço resenhas de livros que clássicos. Sempre escolho livros que fogem dessa condição, seja porque lançados recentemente ou porque pouco conhecidos. Existem razões para essa escolha. A primeira é a minha obsessão por fugir do óbvio (opção que tento manter, também, na escolha dos poemas do Porque hoje é Sábado). A segunda, e principal, é senso crítico. Não há nada que eu possa falar sobre Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas ou sobre O Castelo (apen ...more
Claudia Glezz Cisneros
Citas: Nunca hay que adelantarse, nunca hay que robar antes de saber si lo que quieres robar existe en alguna parte honestamente reservado para ti.

¿Qué importa más: vivir o saber que se está viviendo?

¿Por qué hablas de cosas difíciles, por qué empujas cosas enormes en un momento simple?
En el momento en el que intento hablar, no sólo no expreso lo que siento, sino que lo que siento se transforma lentamente en lo que digo.

Este libro pertenece a la colección que tiene mi madre ahí guardada, listos
Peter
Bewildering, a writing style like no other. A desiccated passion seeking its own inner clarity and life. Liberation above all.

A day will come on which all my movement will be creation, birth, I will break all the noes that exist in me, I will prove to myself that there is nothing to fear, that everything I am will always be where there is a woman with my beginning, I will build inside of me what I am one day, with one gesture of mine my waves will rise up powerful, pure water drowning doubt, aw
Col
Generally reviewing a book is a relatively straightforward exercise when you strip it down to its most basic form - did I like it? And if I did, what did I like about it? There's usually a rather simplistic relationship between those two questions in that an answer of "yes" to the first flows into an easy list for the second. But occasionally, maybe once in every god knows how many years, I find a book where I can't simply go from one to the other. Clarice Lispector's Near To The Wild Heart is s ...more
Michelle Domingues
eu serei forte como a
alma de um animal e quando eu falar serão palavras não
pensadas e lentas, não levemente sentidas, não cheias de
vontade de humanidade, não o passado corroendo o futuro! o
que eu disser soará fatal e inteiro! não haverá nenhum
espaço dentro de mim para eu saber que existe o tempo, os
homens, as dimensões, não haverá nenhum espaço dentro de
mim para notar sequer que estarei criando instante por
instante, não instante por instante: sempre fundido, porque
então viverei, só então viverei
M. Sarki
A wonderful first trip into the Lispector interior. Amazing work for such a young woman. Lyrical and beautifully written. Easy to see the Hermann Hesse influences. I am not sure at all how she pulled this book off, but the sophistication was remarkable. It was a very slow read for me as I really was not interested in much of what was going on in it, but it was interesting for me to behold this Lispector power, unleashed and untamed.
Augusta

Very Virginia Woolf with all the interior monologues. I like that sort of thing though. The language is beautiful and strange and this would be a great book for close reading. But I think the most astonishing part of this book is that Lispector was twenty-three when it was published. 23! So much talent! Now I'm looking forward to reading her other recently translated works.
Jamie Ross
Stunning.
"I will surpass myself in waves, ah, Lord, and may everything come and fall upon me, even the incomprehension of myself at certain white moments because all I have to do is comply with myself and then nothing will block my path until death-without-fear, from any struggle or rest I will rise up as strong and beautiful as a young horse."
Stephanie Baker Opperman
While I've really loved Clarice Lispector's other books, this one was tough to get through. The main character is disconnected and unemotional, and although I appreciate that she spends a good portion of the story self-reflecting about this, it's also really challenging to stay with her and care about what happens to her in the end.
Passtiche
La indagación, la honestidad como objetivo de vida de la protagonista y tema principal de esta novela que ahonda en el mundo interior de la mujer Joana, tan frustrado, complejo y crudo como sincero y palpitante. Un libro para asilvestrar corazones .
Erwin Maack
Para quem precisa conhecer a alma humana em alto teor de sensibilidade e inteligência é um livro indispensável.
A sophomoric and navel-gazing bore. Pretentious, plotless, absolutely overhyped.
Nádia Camuça
Perfect, and she was only 17 when she wrote it. Makes me want to be her.
Layla
It took me a while to get involved, but once I did it was all consuming.
Barbara Galletly
Gah, I wish I liked it more.
Open Books Chicago: Review: Near to the Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector 1 11 Jan 27, 2013 08:10AM
  • Why This World: A Biography of Clarice Lispector
  • Varamo
  • The Cardboard House
  • A obscena senhora D
  • Rebellion in the Backlands
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • Quincas Borba
  • Dublinesque
  • Grande Sertão: Veredas
  • Los ingrávidos
  • The Man of Feeling
Clarice Lispector was a Brazilian writer. Acclaimed internationally for her innovative novels and short stories, she was also a journalist. Born to a Jewish family in Podolia in Western Ukraine, she was brought to Brazil as an infant, amidst the disasters engulfing her native land following the First World War.

She grew up in northeastern Brazil, where her mother died when she was nine. The family
More about Clarice Lispector...
The Hour of the Star The Passion According to G.H. Felicidade Clandestina Family Ties The Stream Of Life

“Queria saber: Depois que se é feliz, o que acontece? O que vem depois?” 16 likes
“How was she to tie herself to a man without permitting him to imprison her? And was there some means of acquiring things without those things possessing her?” 15 likes