Start by marking “Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery” as Want to Read:
Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery

Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery (Harry Devlin #5)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Martin Edwards . . . writes terrific crime novels about Harry Devlin, a charming but down-at-heel solicitor with bruised emotions, a nice line in self-deprecation, and a penchant for Mersey low-life."—The Guardian
Published September 17th 1998 by Countryman Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Eve of Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eve of Destruction

Jill Hutchinson
This little British mystery is a fun read. Harry Devlin is a solicitor who seems to always be in the way of murder and mayhem. A client comes to him for advice on divorce from his cheating wife and brings evidence in the form of tape recordings of her telephone conversations with her lover. Then it begins to get dicey when subsequent recordings reveal that she wants her husband murdered. Murder happens but not exactly as planned. The solution comes out of the blue but is still satisfactory. I wi ...more
Patricia
It was an interesting story with a very unexpected twist at the end. The setting in Liverpool, England was intriguing to me along with the frequent references to the Mersey and the Merseyside. The themes of lust, betrayals and adultery permeate the entire book and ultimately culminate in multiple homicides. This is book #5 of the Harry Devlin series but it is only the first one that I have read. It is likely that I will read more books in this series but not immediately.
Carol
Martin Edwards is my favorite British crime writer, and I enjoy the Harry Devlin/Liverpool series. I believe this book is the finest in this series. The murderer was revealed in the final few pages and was the one character whom I had not even considered.
George
This is a mystery set in Liverpool featuring lawyer Harry Devlin as the mystery solver. There is not a flash and dash in Harry, but he enjoys solving puzzles. I enjoyed this low key mystery involving a series of events, people and personal problems. A new client approaches Harry regarding how to deal with his cheating wife while also having business problems with his brother. There is also murder which Harry eventually solves.
Grey853
I disliked all the main characters, the plot, and the style was rather plodding. So, the Harry Devlin series is off the to read list.

The problems for me included the structure of the novel as well as the lead character being so dull. We find out about horrible murders right off the bat, then nothing else really happens for the rest of the book. If it hadn't been a fairly short book, I'd never have finished.
Gary Van Cott
Although this book had a somewhat surprising and abrupt ending, I think the author's writing has improved as the series progresses.
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 22, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Shera
Shera marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Mary Santana
Mary Santana marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Brendan Ferry
Brendan Ferry marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Oct 11, 2013
Belinda Witzenhausen
Belinda Witzenhausen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M added it
Apr 29, 2013
Hester
Hester added it
May 13, 2012
Martin Edwards was educated in Northwich and at Balliol College, Oxford University, taking a first class honours degree in law. He trained as a solicitor in Leeds and moved to Liverpool on qualifying in 1980. He published his first legal article at the age of 25 and become a partner in the firm of Mace and Jones in 1984.

He is married to Helena with two children (Jonathan and Catherine) and lives i
More about Martin Edwards...

Harry Devlin (8 books)
  • All the Lonely People (Harry Devlin, #1)
  • Suspicious Minds (Harry Devlin, #2)
  • I Remember You (Harry Devlin, #3)
  • Yesterday's Papers (Harry Devlin, #4)
  • The Devil in Disguise (Harry Devlin, #6)
  • First Cut Is the Deepest (Harry Devlin, #7)
  • Waterloo Sunset (Harry Devlin, #8)
The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1) The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2) The Arsenic Labyrinth (Lake District Mystery #3) The Hanging Wood (Lake District Mystery #5) Serpent Pool (Lake District Mystery #4)