Start by marking “Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery” as Want to Read:
Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery

Eve of Destruction: A Harry Devlin Mystery (Harry Devlin #5)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Martin Edwards . . . writes terrific crime novels about Harry Devlin, a charming but down-at-heel solicitor with bruised emotions, a nice line in self-deprecation, and a penchant for Mersey low-life."—The Guardian
Published September 17th 1998 by Countryman Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Eve of Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eve of Destruction

Jill Hutchinson
This little British mystery is a fun read. Harry Devlin is a solicitor who seems to always be in the way of murder and mayhem. A client comes to him for advice on divorce from his cheating wife and brings evidence in the form of tape recordings of her telephone conversations with her lover. Then it begins to get dicey when subsequent recordings reveal that she wants her husband murdered. Murder happens but not exactly as planned. The solution comes out of the blue but is still satisfactory. I wi ...more
Patricia
Dec 04, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting story with a very unexpected twist at the end. The setting in Liverpool, England was intriguing to me along with the frequent references to the Mersey and the Merseyside. The themes of lust, betrayals and adultery permeate the entire book and ultimately culminate in multiple homicides. This is book #5 of the Harry Devlin series but it is only the first one that I have read. It is likely that I will read more books in this series but not immediately.
Graham Powell
May 25, 2015 Graham Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine outing in the Harry Devlin series. Edwards, a student of golden age crime mysteries, throws in some nice grace notes, such as the jealous husband being a maze designer (Edwards is an admirer of MURDER IN THE MAZE by JJ Connington), and a police inspector named Beeding (author of DEATH WALKS IN EASTREPPS and other novels, of which Edwards is a fan).
George
Jun 25, 2011 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a mystery set in Liverpool featuring lawyer Harry Devlin as the mystery solver. There is not a flash and dash in Harry, but he enjoys solving puzzles. I enjoyed this low key mystery involving a series of events, people and personal problems. A new client approaches Harry regarding how to deal with his cheating wife while also having business problems with his brother. There is also murder which Harry eventually solves.
Grey853
Apr 28, 2010 Grey853 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
I disliked all the main characters, the plot, and the style was rather plodding. So, the Harry Devlin series is off the to read list.

The problems for me included the structure of the novel as well as the lead character being so dull. We find out about horrible murders right off the bat, then nothing else really happens for the rest of the book. If it hadn't been a fairly short book, I'd never have finished.
Carol
May 28, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Martin Edwards is my favorite British crime writer, and I enjoy the Harry Devlin/Liverpool series. I believe this book is the finest in this series. The murderer was revealed in the final few pages and was the one character whom I had not even considered.
Gary Van Cott
Although this book had a somewhat surprising and abrupt ending, I think the author's writing has improved as the series progresses.
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Richard Fletcher
Richard Fletcher marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Jenene W.
Jenene W. marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Simon Fenwick
Simon Fenwick rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Sherrie Rozier
Sherrie Rozier rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
basement_cat
basement_cat marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Maggi Young
Maggi Young rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Julia Seldon
Julia Seldon marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Eva
Eva added it
Jan 20, 2016
Tom Wicker
Tom Wicker rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Alisa Simpson
Alisa Simpson marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 21, 2015
Ann Reed
Ann Reed rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Alan Price
Alan Price rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Johanna Pipkin
Johanna Pipkin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
Ritchie W Post
Ritchie W Post rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
KATHRYN LAUSEN
KATHRYN LAUSEN rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Susan
Susan added it
Apr 26, 2015
Martin Edwards was educated in Northwich and at Balliol College, Oxford University, taking a first class honours degree in law. He trained as a solicitor in Leeds and moved to Liverpool on qualifying in 1980. He published his first legal article at the age of 25 and become a partner in the firm of Mace and Jones in 1984.

He is married to Helena with two children (Jonathan and Catherine) and lives i
More about Martin Edwards...

Harry Devlin (8 books)
  • All the Lonely People (Harry Devlin, #1)
  • Suspicious Minds (Harry Devlin, #2)
  • I Remember You (Harry Devlin, #3)
  • Yesterday's Papers (Harry Devlin)
  • The Devil in Disguise (Harry Devlin, #6)
  • First Cut Is the Deepest (Harry Devlin, #7)
  • Waterloo Sunset (Harry Devlin, #8)