Start by marking “Ripley Under Water” as Want to Read:
Ripley Under Water

Ripley Under Water (Ripley #5)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,593 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Tom Ripley passes his leisured days at his French country estate tending the dahlias, practicing the harpsichord, and enjoying the company of his lovely wife, Heloise. Never mind the bloodstains on the basement floor.

But some new neighbors have moved to Villeperce: the Pritchards, just arrived from America. they are a ghastly pair, with vulgar manners and even more vulgar
Published September 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Ripley Under Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ripley Under Water

Cheryl
"Tom, you are the most evil man I've ever met-if you consider that a favorable distinction. You probably do."

This is the final chapter of Tom Ripley's tale of manipulation, mayhem and murder. The words seem a little worn, the reveal somewhat repetitive, and the pathology predictably burning out in an aging mind, but the unpredictabilty of a sociopath focuses the reader on what could happen outside the boundary of acceptable norms. And that is frightening!

Patricia Highsmith died at age 74 in 1995
Eric_W
Patricia Highsmith, as I have noted before, writes a intriguing set of novels using Tom Ripley as the antihero. Ripley Under the Water is a good example of her craft. Tom and his French wife Heloise, live quietly near a small French village. The only thing one might consider unusual about the house is the presence of a bloodstain on the floor of the basement that Tom explains came from spilling some wine. Indeed, there was wine mixed with the blood for it was with a wine bottle that Tom had kill ...more
SlowRain
A sequel of sorts to "Ripley Under Ground," which should be read first to avoid spoilers (but I didn't). In fact, this should be the last Ripley novel you read, not only because of spoilers, but because it's not very good.

The novel, rather ironically, centers around a man who is trying to harass snobbish, upper middle-class Tom Ripley. It's difficult for readers to sympathize with Ripley because of his character and his past, yet we can't really cheer the new guy on because we know so little abo
Tfitoby
That Patricia Highsmith, such a talented writer. The fifth installment of the Ripliad lost nothing of the originals as is so often the case in long running series and was packed full of nervous tension from first to last.

As a standalone novel I don't think this would work but as an extension of the previous four books it's fabulous. By book five we know Ripley, we share his love for his home and his life, we've even seen the softer side of him develop in his affection for Bernard Tufts (books 2
Sarah Sammis
Two and a half years ago I read The Mysterious Mr. Ripley, an omnibus containing the first three Tom Ripley novels by Patricia Highsmith. Ripley Under Water is the fifth and final book in the series coming just four years before Highsmith's death in 1995.

When Tom Ripley was first introduced in The Talented Mr. Ripley, he was young, unbalanced and quick to anger. He also had a big ego and no scruples when it came to getting ahead in life.

By Ripley Under Water, he's older and happy with the life
Stephen Phillips
My review here is nothing more than a strong endorsement of Patricia Highsmith's work despite a weak showing with this novel. I read Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley and immediately was drawn to her haunting, introspective writing style, however it seems that Highsmith (like the middle-aged Tom Ripley found in Ripley Under Water) has lost a bit of steam here. Points for a harrowing character study, but points lost for thoughts in place of unsuspenseful (anti-climactic?) action. M ...more
Karen
I learned a new word: Ripliad. Referring to the whole oeuvre of the Ripley books. I read this one out of order, which made for some slightly plodding backtracking to fill in events from previous books--but I guess it would have been plodding if I'd read those books, too. Apparently this is late Highsmith, and I think it shows a bit. The tension and creepiness are wonderful--like Hitchcock, Highsmith does a wonderful job with sociopaths and psychopaths with very good manners and totally whacked-o ...more
Paula
After 35 years, the Ripliad comes to an end. Hands down to one of my favorites and unforgettable psychopath. And one of the bests (not that I've read a ton of books with psyhcos -I've actually watched more movies/series with them- but still. It's a fair fact). And thanks to Miss Highsmith for creating him with such continuity and development, around some pretty quirky, dangerous and uncanny situations.

Here monsters of the past come haunt Tom Ripley, in the form of a mysterious and bizarre americ
Christine
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: don't recommend it
Recommended to Christine by: I read it for completeness
Very disappointing final 5th volume of the Tom Ripley series.
Don't waste your time with this one.
I read it for completeness, but it was a waste of time.
Also the North African location did not add anything to the plot...Belle Hombre would have been so much better.
Lou Robinson
Another excellent episode from the life and times of Tom Ripley. The sad thing is, I've read them all now. There is no more...plenty of other Patricia Highsmith novels...but no more Ripley.
Margaret

Really?
Truly?

Boo.

David Anderson
The fifth and final installment in the Ripley series finds Tom trying to fend off the intrusion of a rather gauche American couple, David and Janice Pritchard, into Heloise's and his sedate Villeperce lifestyle. Seems that the Prichards have been put on the scent of the Murchison murder Tom was forced to commit in Ripley Under Ground (Ripley #2) in order to cover-up the Derwatt art forgery scheme. Ugly confrontations ensue and, even worse, Pritchard begins fishing the surrounding rivers and cana ...more
Isaac Cooper
Damn, is the word that comes to mind for this book. Not, DAMN! or Dayyum! but just … damn. I wanted to like Ripley Under Water so much more than I did. This series of books really has been a bumpy rollercoaster ride.

Let me show you.

The First Book (Talented Mr Ripley) – Impeccably paced, with honest, believable writing. Characters to sympathize with and care about and an unbelievable, heart-pounding tension from beginning to end.

The Second Book (Ripley Under Ground) – A valiant effort, perhaps a
Oscar
Resulta curiosa la fascinación que ejercen ciertos criminales, verdaderos psicópatas en muchos casos. Personajes grises, tirando más al negro que al blanco, ambiguos, que aunque cometan los más aberrantes crímenes, estás deseando que no los coja la justicia y que se salgan con la suya. Ahí tenemos a Hannibal “el caníbal” Lecter, cuyo apelativo lo dice todo. O a Dexter Morgan y su “oscuro pasajero”. O a esos dos cocineros de metanfetamina de ‘Breaking Bad’. O el personaje creado por Patricia High ...more
Raymond Nickford
As in her The Glass Cell and to some extent in Edith's Diary, Highsmith excels at the slow spinning of a yarn which nevertheless kept me on board.
Tom's acquaintance with the "Odd Pair" as he christens the over-watchful neighbours in Fontaineblue, is masterfully unravelled to pinpoint his mounting fear of being detected in his trail of wrongdoings.
Rather like her Tom in The Talented Mr Ripley, the author laces the tale with brilliantly interwoven local detail, both of scene and setting, and I ag
Marsia
Jul 27, 2011 Marsia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patricia Highsmith fans
The suspense in this novel involving Tom Ripley, his wife, Heloise, and his two friends who own an art gallery in London, Ed and Jeff, is pretty much nonstop from beginning to end. A strange couple have moved to the village near Paris in which Tom and Heloise live. This "odd couple," particularly the husband, appear to be determined to prove that Ripley's past involves activities in which the police would be very interested, including murder. This curious man even shows up in Tangier, where Tom ...more
MustLoveTo
LOVE THIS SERIES. Read all five while living in the city (New York, of course) as a twentysomething. Read them at warp speed, couldn't put them down for a second! (Even Manhattan and all her stirrings couldn't compete for my attention those short couple of weeks.) Still love them, all of them. Can hardly believe I fell in such extreme like for such a borderline borderline but, by the second novel, I was hooked. Smitten even. Alas, this probably says more about my real-life romantic choices sadly ...more
F.R.
A couple are hounding charming killer Tom Ripley at his home in France, dredging up unsavoury things from his past. Tom tries to stop them.

It sounds like it would be an exciting read, but what follows is one of the most ungripping thrillers I've come across. The story just plods along with little sense of urgency or even danger, with an ending which is annoyingly - but fittingly, given what's gone before - anti-climactic.

There are better Ripley books than this.
Sahra
Having not read the previous Ripleys (although I have seen the movie) I was not sure what to expect - were there things I needed to know? Turns out I didn't need to know much. It was a strange book to finish off a series. Not much happened - just a lot of flying about the continent, taking tea, talking on the phone and finding as many ways as possible to pronounce the name Pritchard. Odd, yet a little mundane.
Dan Downing
Written shortly before her death---in terms of the length of her career---"Ripley Under Water" is not Highsmith's best book; maybe not in the top 10 or 15, even. Never-the-less, it is Patricia Highsmith and therefore head and shoulders above most novels.
I say novels rather than 'thrillers' or 'crime' stories because the writing, while dated to the time and the setting (mostly France) rates highly and the plot, aside from one brief fist fight, features no murders, bombs, stabbings or other episod
Bryce Wilson
I've been putting off reading the last of The Riplaid for awhile, but finally got around to it. I'll miss Ripley and Belle Ombre, miss the way Highsmith puts you unabashedly on the side of a monster. Miss the way that Ripley sails through life unperturbed by what he has to do to sustain it's comfort.

A fitting final chapter in a most delightful game.
Eduardo Pérez Ríos
Se trata de una lectura obligatoria por ser la última novela de la serie de Ripley.

Hasta cierto punto es interesante ver cómo Ripley se encuentra cara a cara con un psicópata que lo quiere ver destruido y que sospecha de todos los crímenes que ha cometido. Lo sorprendente de la novela es ver a Ripley convertido en una víctima y alguien que redime sus pecados ante el lector. Un lector que simpatiza con su existencia y que finalmente espera verlo bien librado de la última aventura.

En general el
Frances Sawaya
Believe it or not --- the end of Ripley. Highsmith created a story of an idle rich psychopath coming up against an equally fixated nut case, and, of course, Ripley prevails. Rambling and incredible. Much preferred Woody Allen's "Matchpoint" with its look at the element of luck as the turning point.
Kevin
ANOTHER READABLE DOSE OF RIPLEY

I have now finished the last book in the Ripley series and again am very satisfied. In this book Tom Ripley's past crimes are threatened to be unleashed by his new neighbour, David Pritchard. Without giving away too much of the storyline Pritchard appears to have enough evidence to get him punished for his crimes. The aspect that I enjoyed most about this book was the descriptions of Ripley's homelife. Chapters are laced with daily events in the Ripley household. I

Jane
The sinister Pritchard couple made this an intriguing and unsettling read. Tension was sustained throughout with a surprise event no one could foresee. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lauren
The final book in the series, this is one of the better ones. I place it second best in the series. Love the antihero!
Amy
I really can't handle it anymore. This book is boring, I will never finish the Ripliad, and Patricia Highsmith is hot. There.
Todd
Oh how I love you, Patricia Highsmith.
Five stars not because this is a five-star book (more like four) but because this is the last Ripley book in the series and I had to tack on an extra star for Highsmith's achievement across the entire Ripliad.
I wish Thomas Ripley were my friend and he would call me up every now and then and tell me about his endless shenanigans and invite me over to Belle Ombre to look at his Derwatt paintings and to slide across the wine and blood stains in the cellar and
Agatha
I had been delaying getting to this one b/c I know it is the last in this series which I have enjoyed so much. But, in the end, I did not feel like this was one of the most exciting in the series. It was kind of bleh.

The book jacket does say something like “Tom Ripley has mellowed with age” and I do agree that is true. He and Heloise still live in their precious Belle Ombre and he still toodles in the garden, plays the harpsichord, and enjoys good food and drink. He learns that two odd-ball Ame
Katie
Feb 20, 2012 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literary Suspense Lovers, Anti-Hero Fans, Francophiles
Recommended to Katie by: The other 4 Ripley books
Another great Ripley novel, but, unfortunately, the last in the series. I was disappointed by the ending. It made me feel like there is more to come, but there isn't. The book was published in 1991, and sadly, Highsmith died in 1995. I cannot find any information as to whether she intended on writing an additional book; it would make me feel better if I knew she was.
The series began in 1955 with the well-known The Talented Mr. Ripley, which has been turned in to two popular movies: The American
  • Beast In View
  • Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
  • Gallowglass
  • Nothing More than Murder
  • Cop Killer (Martin Beck #9)
  • I Married a Dead Man
  • Nineteen Eighty (Red Riding, #3)
  • Red Lights
  • The Wycherly Woman
  • The Hot Spot
  • The Rat On Fire
  • The Big Gold Dream (Harlem Cycle, #4)
  • The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2)
  • Choice of Evil (Burke, #11)
  • Laura
  • Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist who is known mainly for her psychological crime thrillers which have led to more than two dozen film adaptations over the years.

She lived with her grandmother, mother and later step-father (her mother divorced her natural father six months before 'Patsy' was born and married Stanley Highsmith) in Fort Worth before moving with her parents to New York in
More about Patricia Highsmith...

Ripley (5 books)
  • The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1)
  • Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)
  • Ripley's Game (Ripley, #3)
  • The Boy Who Followed Ripley (Ripley, #4)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) Strangers on a Train The Price of Salt Ripley's Game (Ripley, #3) Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)

“Just what did happen to a corpse under water for four, five years, even three? the tarpaulin or canvas would rot, perhaps more than half of it would disappear; the stones would likely have fallen out, therefore, enabling the corpse to drift more easily, even rise a little, provided any flesh was left. But wasn't rising due to bloating? Tom thought of the word maceration, the flaking off in layers of the outer skin. Then what? The nibbling of fish? Or wouldn't the current have removed pieces of flesh until nothing but bones were left? The bloated period must be long past...” 1 likes