Start by marking “You Will Go to the Moon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
You Will Go to the Moon

Mae Blacker Freeman

You Will Go to the Moon

Originally published in 1959, prior to the first moon landing. A second edition was published in 1971, with new illustrations updated to reflect the Apollo program.

The book is a children's story in the "Beginner Books" series, written using a restricted vocabulary of simple words for a readership age of six. The original 1959 illustrations show a lunar mission concept base
Published October 1st 1971 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about You Will Go to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Will Go to the Moon

Rose Ann
Jul 23, 2013 Rose Ann rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book when I was 6 or 7. I loved it. I wonder whatever became of my copy. Lost it years and years ago.
Andrewcharles420
Excellent children's book about the possibilities of near-Earth space travel! Fails the Bechdel test miserably (the boy's mom makes a brief appearance near the beginning of the book... otherwise, white dudes!). They did a great job with sciencey aspects of the book though--3 stage booster rockets, stabilizers on telescopes, a glossary in the back (The Science of Your MOON TRIP) explaining many differences between physics on Earth and in space/on the moon. Very forward looking (and surprisingly ...more
Shane
Jun 25, 2013 Shane added it
I've no clue what made me think of this book I read when I was in the 2nd grade, but I did. Anywho, I didn't go to the moon - yet (although I'd rather go to Paris (France) or Vienna (Italy), so the title got it wrong.

At any rate, I think this books' appeal would be more as historical curiosity than anything in terms of getting a glimpse into how some folks thought about space travel and such waybackwhen.
Will2
Mar 25, 2009 Will2 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a kid. Yes, there's some horrid sexism in the book (only MEN go to space) but we just replaced some of the words when reading it to our child.
ThePinkCarrot
Cute story about a boy going to the moon. Very fantastical before man went to the moon, so not accurate technically. Interesting look into the imagination of our culture before something happened!
Ed Garcia
Nov 30, 2015 Ed Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I must have borrowed this book a hundred times from the Aquidneck School library when I was in elementary school. I bought a copy on ebay a few years ago for nostalgia!
Virginia
Oct 25, 2013 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What amazes me most is the title. Not, you "might" go to the moon. Not "Wouldn't it be cool to go to the moon?"

No, it conveyed utter certainty - you WILL go to the moon.

Kind of sad now.
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2007
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Jonathan
Jul 25, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
my 6yo read and loved it!!!
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2010
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Artifice Magazine
Mar 17, 2009 Artifice Magazine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rebekah
Good use of color in typography.
Bethj
Bethj rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Eddie Ponsdomenech
Eddie Ponsdomenech rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2008
La La
La La rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Linda Yarrow
Linda Yarrow rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Oliver
Oliver rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
ҞΞℓβϓ
ҞΞℓβϓ rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Janene Auger
Janene Auger rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Suzanne Ballantyne
Suzanne Ballantyne rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2013
Ian Ellison
Ian Ellison rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Scott Kemp
Scott Kemp rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Geoffrey Hulse
Geoffrey Hulse rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2014