Start by marking “Gladiator” as Want to Read:

GLADIATOR explores the world of the gladiators, from their humble beginnings as slaves to their schooling as gladiators and their often violent death in the arena, and looks at their influence on our lives today.
Published May 22nd 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 29th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gladiator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladiator

Nov 07, 2014 Rambdenb rated it really liked it
This book was very informative about the subject of what gladiators did, how they were freed, and the types you would see in the arena. Such as some gladiators fought each other, and animals. Gladiators were usually slaves, prisoners of war, and law breakers that needed to be punished. I think this is a great book for those of you that want to learn more about gladiators and what they did.
Conner Rose
Apr 02, 2014 Conner Rose rated it really liked it
Gladiator by Richard Watkins is a book about Gladiators. It tells the history and different types of Gladiators. The types are Samnite, Hoplomachus, Thracian, Marillo, Retiarius, and Secutor. It also tells a day of the gladiators. This book is very interesting and teaching. I recommend this book to people who like fighting.
Jun 14, 2010 J.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, Rome, Romans, ancient history
This quick read has a large amount of information. Having read very little on the subject of gladiators, I sat down and within the hour felt like I learned quite a bit. Who knew, for example, that gladiators were divided into four sub-classes, depending on their rank and accomplishments in the arena? Or the difference between the Samnite and Thracian fighting styles? Or that the gladiator who specialized with the net and trident was called a retiarius, while certain men, called bestiarii fought ...more
Kristen Fort
Feb 04, 2016 Kristen Fort rated it really liked it
It's got more information than the Cambridge textbook, which is great, since it is a topic of extreme interest among the middle and high school students who take Latin. I will be using some of the information to supplement what is presented in the textbook.
Sep 23, 2014 DeNae rated it really liked it
We read this book for history. It was very detailed and informative. It obviously spoke of the horrendous violence, but didn't get into too many details or show too much savagery.
Dawn Roberts
May 15, 2015 Dawn Roberts rated it really liked it
Excellent book similar to David Macauley's masterpieces (Pyramid, Castle, etc.) Lots of detail and readable by elementary.
Nov 12, 2007 Michelle rated it liked it
Nice drawings and distinctions between different types of gladiators, but lacking some detail. Good for middle school-aged children.
Interesting information, detailed drawings. I even loaned this one to a student for his report on gladiators last year.
Great non-fiction book with cool pictures.
Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
Jul 28, 2012 Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power! rated it liked it
Recommended to Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power! by: My siblings
Very informative. :)
Bill added it
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Jones Education
Jones Education is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Beck A
Beck A rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Tim Crothers
Tim Crothers rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Nessa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Ms. P
Ms. P added it
Mar 18, 2016
Kent rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Travis Norwood
Travis Norwood rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Melinda Sisson
Melinda Sisson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Kerry rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015