Start by marking “Raising Expectations (and Raising Hell): My Decade Fighting for the Labor Movement” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In 1995, in the first contested election in the history of
the AFL-CIO, John Sweeney won the presidency of the nation’s largest labor
federation, promising renewal and resurgence. Today, less than 7 percent of
American private-sector workers belong to a union, the lowest percentage since
the beginning of the twentieth century, and public employee collective
bargaining
Published November 20th 2012 by Verso (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Expectations (and Raising Hell), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Expectations (and Raising Hell)

Jamie VW
It's hard to feel completely comfortable with a tell-all. It is hard to distinguish the pursuit of score-settling from honest critiques and assessments and since a large portion of this book is designed to illuminate worker successes in the labor movement - and how they are still possible in this day and age, the negativity about many well-known union players makes it feel all that more futile.

That being said, as a former SEIU organizer myself, I agree with many of her points and her arguments a
Kristen
After Michigan went “Right to Work” I realized I knew precious little about labor unions. All I’ve had to go on was my parents, grandparents and now in laws telling me that unions are absolutely essential while countless others told me about their waste and irrelevance. This well written account of a former SEIU organizer, predominately about her support of nurses in right to work Nevada, opened my eyes about why unions are still needed (on the shop floor and in the community) and where they can ...more
Erin
Jane McAlevey is my hero. She writes a fascinating account of how she kicked ass in organizing workers across the country, and at no point does she sound egotistical about it. And although her story involves politics, power, money, and backstabbing, her story ultimately is about the power America's workers have when they unite.
It is also a lesson in the inner workings of today's labor unions (or at least one union--the SEIU). You will be blown away by what was won and lost during McAlevey's tim
Clare
Fantastic account of union organising in the USA. McAlevey writes in a lively and engaging manner, and details the important organising campaigns she led throughout the decade. We can learn a lot of lessons from her style of 'whole of worker organising', as she calls it. Unfortunately, most of her hardwork - and the hardwork of the members - was undone by labour bureaucracy and political infighting. This was an extremely engaging book that contains many important lessons for union movements in d ...more
Micah
I can't think of another book I would consider more essential reading on the American labor movement that has been written in the past decade. If you've got one, direct me to it. (Kim Moody's book U.S. Labor in Trouble and Transition might be close.) But seriously. This is a fantastic, highly-readable book that you should read.
Caeser Pink
A great book for anyone interested in labor relations. Jane has great insights from the trenches. For those who side with the working class, the stories are inspirational. She also has insights into problems within labor unions that holds back their success.
Jenny
As a social worker who organizes, I found myself very drawn in by the description of whole worker organizing. We need a movement more than ever, and empowering workers (and keeping them empowered) is where we must begin!
Marylee Raymond
This woman is what Saul Alinsky was to the 60's. SHE IS THE BEST. This is an amazing journey -- 10 years organizing. Labor Unions take note -- labor needs a new attitude!!
Nicolas Brannon
A gripping narrative; informative and inspiring.
Timothy Dymond
Timothy Dymond marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kathrina1
Kathrina1 marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Bruce Farrands
Bruce Farrands is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Mike Scarpa
Mike Scarpa marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
NO marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Adam Geisler
Adam Geisler marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Dolores M.
Dolores M. marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ashe Dryden
Ashe Dryden marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Julia Stone
Julia Stone is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Shamaiah Turner
Shamaiah Turner marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015