Start by marking “On Eastern Meditation” as Want to Read:
On Eastern Meditation

On Eastern Meditation

Merton’s biographer, George Woodcock, once wrote that “almost from the beginning of his monastic career, Thomas Merton tentatively began to discover the great Asian religions of Buddhism and Taoism.” Merton, a longtime social justice advocate, first approached Eastern theology as an admirer of Gandhi’s beliefs on non-violence. Through Gandhi, Merton came to know the great ...more
Published June 20th 2012 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about On Eastern Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Eastern Meditation

Reading nuggets extracted from their context has its pitfalls but it does give a quick sense of Merton's views and thoughts on Christianity, Tao, Zen Buddhism and meditation.

For someone who has been raised in the Christian tradition, I must say he is one of few who sees convergence in Christianity and Buddhism (at least the more contemplative aspects of the Catholic tradition).

I look forward to reading more from Thomas Merton.
Deborah Adams
Feb 02, 2015 Deborah Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gem of a book. I did not know that it was Thomas Merton's 100th birthday when I picked up this book to read at at Yoga and Mediation retreat. I was only slightly familiar with Thomas Merton before reading this book. Now I must read more of his writings.
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Leia Tijou
Leia Tijou rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Kit Malo
Kit Malo rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Jeff rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2014
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Nick Petrone
Nick Petrone rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Berin Kinsman
Berin Kinsman rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Anne Zarcone
Anne Zarcone rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Jay Deocampo
Jay Deocampo rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2014
Scott Lapierre
Scott Lapierre rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Chris Stillwell
Chris Stillwell rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Julie rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Chad Felix
Chad Felix rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Thomas Merton was one of the most influential Catholic authors of the 20th century. A Trappist monk of the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani, in the American state of Kentucky, Merton was an acclaimed Catholic spiritual writer, poet, author and social activist. Merton wrote over 60 books, scores of essays and reviews, and is the ongoing subject of many biographies. Merton was also a proponent of int ...more
More about Thomas Merton...