Start by marking “On Eastern Meditation” as Want to Read:
On Eastern Meditation

On Eastern Meditation

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Merton’s biographer, George Woodcock, once wrote that “almost from the beginning of his monastic career, Thomas Merton tentatively began to discover the great Asian religions of Buddhism and Taoism.” Merton, a longtime social justice advocate, first approached Eastern theology as an admirer of Gandhi’s beliefs on non-violence. Through Gandhi, Merton came to know the great ...more
Published June 20th 2012 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about On Eastern Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Eastern Meditation

Reading nuggets extracted from their context has its pitfalls but it does give a quick sense of Merton's views and thoughts on Christianity, Tao, Zen Buddhism and meditation.

For someone who has been raised in the Christian tradition, I must say he is one of few who sees convergence in Christianity and Buddhism (at least the more contemplative aspects of the Catholic tradition).

I look forward to reading more from Thomas Merton.
Deborah Adams
A gem of a book. I did not know that it was Thomas Merton's 100th birthday when I picked up this book to read at at Yoga and Mediation retreat. I was only slightly familiar with Thomas Merton before reading this book. Now I must read more of his writings.
Leia Tijou
Leia Tijou marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Fouad marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Ian marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Douglas Gunnarsson
Douglas Gunnarsson marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
kiddy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Akiko marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Bqueenbandit marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Thomas Merton was one of the most influential Catholic authors of the 20th century. A Trappist monk of the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani, in the American state of Kentucky, Merton was an acclaimed Catholic spiritual writer, poet, author and social activist. Merton wrote over 60 books, scores of essays and reviews, and is the ongoing subject of many biographies. Merton was also a proponent of int ...more
More about Thomas Merton...
The Seven Storey Mountain New Seeds of Contemplation No Man Is an Island Contemplative Prayer Thoughts in Solitude