Start by marking “The Art of Freedom: Teaching the Humanities to the Poor” as Want to Read:
The Art of Freedom: Teaching the Humanities to the Poor

The Art of Freedom: Teaching the Humanities to the Poor

Seeking answers to the toughest questions about poverty in the United States, Earl Shorris had looked everywhere. At last, one resounding answer came from a conversation with a woman in a maximum-security prison: the difference between rich and poor is the humanities. Shorris took that idea and started a course at the Clemente Family Guidance Center in New York. With a fac ...more
Published February 18th 2013 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Freedom

Bob
Apr 23, 2014 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social
Shorris had a journalist's eye for the telling detail, the philosopher's patience and perseverance to cast aside initial impressions to discover truths, and a heart open to all. In Latinos and The Life and Times of Mexico, he uses these to portray great subjects. This book's chapters recount his experiences traveling the world setting up variants on the Clemente Courses, which use the "great books" (both western and local) to bring power, understanding, and self-respect to the poorest people. I ...more
Jason Krzysztofiak
Honestly, seeing other reviews has kind of biased my review in a way that is somewhat disappointing. After finishing 'The Art of Freedom', I enjoyed it. It promoted a positive and feel good environment to show that people have potential no matter their origins, including elements of story telling, biography and non fiction. But after reading other reviews to try and form a conclusion, I realized that the reason that the book was lower rated than others was the poor written form, it has a great i ...more
Sally
I was glad to read this anecdotal account by the founder of the Clemente program for teaching humanities to the adult poor. It tells about starting programs in the US in cities, rural areas, and among native peoples, as well as in many other countries including Mexico, Korea, Sudan, Argentina and Australia. The impact this program can have on people's lives, and through them on their families and communities, is impressive.
Joeydag
I did not finish reading this collection of reports from the author's experiences of teaching humanities to the poor. It was a moving story but not compelling enough for me to want to finish. His use of the phrase "Surround of Force" was new to me in describing the setting that keeps the poor in their place. The plain lesson is that a basic humanities education is can be used to overcome poverty. There are poor people that will educate themselves if the opportunity is provided.
Amy
Apr 14, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of essays about Clemente Institutes all over the world. The author writes a bit like a rambling professor with time to kill and a resistance to editing, and I got tired of hearing every bit player described in three paragraphs, but I loved reading about how the humanities transformed people's lives. Very inspiring to me.
Elyssa
The idea of teaching humanities to low income individuals is a brilliant one and was successful as indicated in Earl Shorris' reminiscent dispatches. Unfortunately, the book is poorly written. The chapters seem thrown together haphazardly and within the chapters, the writing meanders all over the place. I was able to piece it together, but it seems like it should have been easier.
Marlene
Mar 02, 2014 Marlene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotal collection of stories about exposing groups of individuals to the humanities and the effects of such education on their lives. For nonfiction about a program, it would be a better read if it were condensed into a shorter Reader's Digest version.
Rachel
Jun 04, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disjointed writing but an exceptional concept and commitment.
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Christopher Schroeder
Christopher Schroeder rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2014
Joshua Skinner
Joshua Skinner rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Carrie Nepstad
Carrie Nepstad rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Laura rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Philip
Philip rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2013
Scott Macleod
Scott Macleod rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Brian TramueL
Brian TramueL rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Carrie Jancewicz
Carrie Jancewicz rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
picwick
picwick rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
ELRS
ELRS rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Nathan Jaschob
Nathan Jaschob rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Sarah Maguire
Sarah Maguire rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2013