Start by marking “With the Animals” as Want to Read:
With the Animals

With the Animals

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Considered the standard-bearer for the great Franco-Swiss literary tradition, exemplified by authors such as Jacques Chessex and C. F. Ramuz, Noëlle Revaz may also remind English-language readers of Louis-Ferdinand Céline: With the Animals, her shocking debut, is a novel of mud and blood whose linguistic audaciousness is matched only by its brutality, misanthropy, and gall ...more
Published May 26th 2012 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about With the Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With the Animals

Tuck
nominated for the translation prize 2013, but didn't win, but should have.
paul is the narrator of this novel, he is a small farmer in france in 21st century, but other than the tractors, could very well be 19th cent.
he doesn't really know the names of his many children, and calls his wife vulva, but he DOES know the names of the milk cows, and all the fields and woods around his place.
he speaks and thinks in a patois of farmer/hillbilly/caveman, but do not let that seem he is dumb or non-thinki
Full Stop

Review by Roxane Gay

We are beasts: in our desires, in how we move through the world, in how we relate to our environments and the people around us. I am intrigued by fiction in which the line between people and animals is deliberately blurred, in which the façade of human civility is eroded. With the Animals, written by Swiss writer Noëlle Revaz and translated by W. Donald Wilson, is one such book, merciless and unwavering in baring the animal nature of th
Rachel
This book is beautifully crafted and Paul is a very believable character. I wanted to like this book more than I did because it did a great job of portraying an unreliable narrator. However, sometimes it was frustrating to be filtered through Paul because of how slowly he comes to realizations.
Aaron (Typographical Era)
A disturbing social experiment with little in the way of plot progression, Noelle Revaz’s debut novel With The Animals boldly sets out to force the reader to question the very definition of humanity. Thanks to quite brutal, yet eloquently structured language, it mostly succeeds.

Descended from a long line of farmers, Paul and his wife Vulva (yes, he refers to her as Vulva) spend their days hard at work maintaining the family farm. Paul rules over his domain with an iron fist, laying down the law
Danielnylinnilsson Nylin Nilsson
This is a quickly read tale about a horrible man, father, husband and farmer who is extremely misogynic, scornful and sad. Nonetheless, it is through his eyes you see the world. It is troubling, sometimes disgusting, raw and with a really brutal ending.

I think I missed out on the language though, reading it in English translation.
Brooks
I'm not really sure how to describe this one. The main character is ego out of control without intelligence or empathy. The fact that the other characters are as fully drawn as they are being presented only through his eyes is remarkable.
Stephen
This is one of those books in which a writer attempts to channel the voice of someone from a lower social strata, but it doesn't work here. I felt too aware of Revaz's presence in the text, though she does an admirable job in parts.
Nic Hagemann
Very engaging and well done. Each character was developed with brilliant clarity through the skewed filter of the main character, Paul.
Michelle
I want to know just how brutal the story is before I decide if I am going to read it.
Kobe Bryant
Its pretty clear that Paul is gay and in love with his exotic farmhand, Georges
Kyle
codfish.... please come back.....
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Beatrix
Beatrix marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Sandro
Sandro marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Berkley McLean
Berkley McLean marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Rebecca Scala
Rebecca Scala marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Marcele
Marcele marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
With the Ranks
With the Ranks marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Planetarium
  • A Máquina de Joseph Walser (O Reino, #2)
  • Chromos