Oak: The Frame of Civilization

Oak: The Frame of Civilization

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  38 reviews
William Bryant Logan, a professional arborist and an award-winning nature writer, has put his love for oak to paper, and here relates the history of the relationship between humans and oak trees since time immemorial. Civilization prospered where oaks grew, and for centuries these supremely adaptable, generous trees have supported humankind in nearly every facet of life. W...more
Published July 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Oak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oak

Sesana
Very nicely written, and bursting with passion for the subject. The problem is that, roughly halfway through the book, the author moves to presenting what could have been a series of short articles on oak, without really tying them together. Also, there are no in-text citations, just a list of sources at the back of the book. This tends to make me antsy in general.
William Burruss
Feb 06, 2013 William Burruss rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Realtor, Land Specialist
Shelves: real-estate-land
The oak leaf is the main image of my corporate logo. It represents the generations of Burrusses that have worked the forests. It is easy to see why I picked-up William Bryant Logan’s book Oak, the Frame of Civilization at a vacationing bookstore. The title jumped at me. I knew the importance of the oak tree for my family’s company, Burruss Land & Lumber Company, and I knew how it was used in other Central Virginia companies but “the frame of civilization.” What was this all about?

It is sad t...more
Mike
William Bryant Logan picks book topics better than any author. A book about dirt? A book about oak? Brilliance!

Oak, especially for fans of Dirt, delivers. Logan may make some sketchy (though totally intriguing) claims into the history of man, but along the way he drastically changed the way I understand humans and our relationship to nature. Plus oak trees are fascinating! I can't wait to start eating acorns and building things with traditional framing joints. Bravo Logan -- you've changed my li...more
B. Rule
I enjoyed the part that described how each craft or profession relates to the oak, but I confess I'm too ignorant of construction principles to get much out of long descriptions of types of joints and carpentry whatnot. No wonder Josh likes it.
Andrew
This is a very readable book with a few persistent problems.

Let's start with what's good about it. If you're interested in acorns as food, naval history from Pepys to ironclads (US Civil War), barrel making, leather tanning or wooden-roof construction, and a pop description of oak propagation (Corvidae), and a little (char)colliery, this book is for you.

The book falls apart, well had me scratching my head in discussing acorn-economy cultures in the fertile crescent, specifically the Zagros Moun...more
brenda
i knew oak trees were beautiful, but who knew they were so important to humans, to cities, to economies, to progress....

this book is by the same guy who wrote dirt: the estatic skin of the earth. that book is like poetry and is amazing, the way the author puts words together, absolutely lyrical and beautiful. this book is more straight-forward information but i never could have guessed there could be so much to know about oak trees. according to the author, and he makes a good case for it, human...more
William
Everywhere man has developed, there have always been oak trees. The author, an arborist, opens with a story about a Jewish couple in Brooklyn preparing for another child. Logan is hired to come confirm the imminent demise of a tree in their yard. When he arrives, however, he finds a perfectly healthy tree and some desperate homeowners.

The couple, their house already crowded, desperately needed to expand, but the apple tree was in the way. It turned out that their sect of judaism prevented them f...more
Rich McNeary
Jun 06, 2009 Rich McNeary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who have an abiding love for nature and the beauty of life.
Shelves: must-read

It's possible to read "Oak" and simply come away with an appreciation of quercus and the many benefits it has provided to humans and a host of other creatures. But that would be to miss what I consider to be major underlying themes of the book: trees (and nature) have an intrinsic worth that extends beyond mere monetary value, and humans reach their greatest potential when they appreciate and work with the natural world.

One of the most moving stories recounted occurs near the beginning of the bo

Crystal
I feel incredibly nerdy admitting this is the best book I've read in a long time. It is incredibly interesting, well-written and illuminating. I am absolutely in love with oak trees after reading this book. It is like a sinful, indulgent dessert for english majors, history enthusists, nature lovers and the naturally curious. I am all of these, and he touches on all these areas with artistry. The only reason I did not give it five stars is because he really lost me in all of the terminology in th...more
Michael Blackmore
Yes, I did enjoy much of this book, but I couldn't quite give it more stars because there were long sections devoted to things that weren't really terribly interesting that I ended up having to skip to get to the more directly Oak related info. Things like boat building, etc. No doubt there are folks who might love those sections and skipped ones I cared about. Still there was good an interesting info throughout the book, but overall I think it could have worked out so much better as a shorter m...more
Eric
One of the most informative and interesting books I read last year. Sections on barrel making and ship building (it took something like 2000 acres of oak forest to build a large English navel ship) were particularly engrossing. Of course like most of the recent spate of natural history books, he has to engage in some creative thinking to show how said nature is integral to the whole history of the world. In this case he tries to show how early human communities in the middle east were balano-cul...more
Kellan
Interesting, intriguing if problematic. Best when Logan is dealing in broad strokes, describing just so stories on pre-historic balanocultures. The 2nd half of the book unfortunately feels more like a series of interesting bits of Euro-centric trivia strung together. And some of that trivia, whether it's on the mystery of why Winchester doesn't collapse, or the historically unprecedented yields of the dehesas agricultural system.

But it doesn't live up to the promise of the early chapters or the...more
Stephanie Paige Ogburn
Jun 10, 2007 Stephanie Paige Ogburn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tree nerds and people with connection to oaks
Shelves: unfinished
Thus far, its interesting but not overwhelmingly so. If you are generally a tree or plant person and feel like learning minute details about oaks, this might be a good book. My major problems with it is that the author makes generalizations and assertions that are not cited in the text, and so it is hard to know where his facts come from. There is a bibliography, which helps, but since the work seems somewhat scholarly yet doesn't cite as an academic book would, one isn't quite sure what certain...more
Justus
This was an interesting read, but ultimately it didn't stick with me nearly as much as his other book Dirt. I think its because this was a lot more "informative" and focused on a specific type of plant. And while oak trees can have a lot of literal and figurative qualities ascribed to it, and even though it does live throughout the world, it is nowhere near as universal as the Soil. Its a good book definitely worth the read if you are interested in the subject matter, but not a keeper in my worl...more
Tim Weakley
After reading Salt by Mark Kurlansky I was ready for another book on the history of a common object and how it has affected us. Oak is along those lines but I found it to be less interesting than I had hoped. I think it would have been better as a series of long articles. The book has three major sections that don't really feel tied together. I did enjoy the section on the age of sail, but that has always been an interest of mine anyway and the information therein left me on familiar ground.
Cass
This book was everything I expected, and just a little bit more. I could have done without the lengthy middle chapters with heavy lumberyard diction. I think the author got a lot of information on the subject and was too proud to edit it out. But the beginning chapters on Blanoculture and ending section on how the Oak has survived to be one of the fittest plants in the world were highly interesting and educational. I've already used bits of it to teach ecology to my 5th and 6th graders.
Marilyn Mcentyre
It may be surprising that one can find a book on oaks stirring, and even moving, but I did. The compassion Logan extends to the natural world, the way he tells the story of oaks as remarkably adaptive survivors, and the beauty of his writing convince me that even people who don't tend to choose this kind of book would find it eye-opening. It will transform the way you look at trees. Perhaps it will make you, like Mary Oliver, "walk slowly and bow often."
Troy
Beginning and ending sections were good, exactly what I was hoping for. They discussed the oak tree itself in both a scientific and cultural manner. The middle sections were devoted to uses of oak throughout history, but they essentially felt like a course on shipbuilding. Very drawn out chapters on how to build ships took away from the readability of this book. I was expecting something else, and came away a bit unsatisfied with this look at the oak.
Diane
I thoroughly enjoyed contemplating the evolution of humans from hominids through our relationship with oaks. Encountered many many words I hadn't known before, discovered the origins of words such as "cranky" and found out more about ship building than I ever thought I wanted to know. Ditto carpentry joints. Fun last chapter too, in which the Eiffel Tower is revealed as an inferior imitation of an oak tree.
Tarn
A fascinating read - a bit more of a cohesive book that "Dirt, The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth," since that one was a collection of essays more than anything. Really a lot of fun! Logan posits that Oak (particularly white oak) was the crucial element creating the ability of the 'West' and the 'East' to form what we call civilization. Also, good stuff about balanophagy!
Dacotah
I learned that civilization was much more strongly connected to Oak trees than I had ever imagined. This is a great read for anyone interested in the rise of civilization and the role several species of oak trees. From its use as food (acorns) to shipbuilding and wine casks, the story of oaks is told in a compelling, thoughtful and ultimately memorable way.
Therese
"Since the glaciers last retreated and since humans began to build and settle down, there have been but two versions of the world: the world made with wood and the world made with oil and coal. One lasted twelve to fifteen millennia; the other has lasted 250 years so far. All that it is to be human was defined in and through wood......" Take good care of your trees!
Julia
As a plant nerd with an obsession for oaks, I was really excited about this book. However, the writing was that of a high school level report. His theses are tenuously supported at best, and big chunks are just lists of things that are related to oaks. I made it halfway through the "Balanophagy" section before giving up.
Richard Thompson
An excellent book about the place of the oak tree in human civilization.

Logan contends that the pattern of early human population spread followed, not the spread of agriculture, but the spread of oak forests.

Interesting sections on coppering, tanning, building with oak and ship building.

Gavin.boyles
Pretty interesting, as these kinds of books (Salt, Cod, etc.) tend to be. I always become convinced that, yeah, the world really _is_ all about [thing X]. If I were smarter, I guess I'd stop thinking that everytime I read one of these! Anyway, a fun read.
Andrew
Sep 25, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientists & Priests
Shelves: favorites
I love this book for all it's passion and fervor. This guy really loves trees and it makes the book pallateable. Without Logan's intensity for his topic, the interesting details might get lost in the scientific nature of the research.

Great book.
Kevin
It had some interesting facts, especially how important oaks have been and still are today. My biggest probelm with this book is it would have been much better as a magazine article rather than a book--the material was too stretched.
Janet
The history of the influence of the oak tree thoughout history, from tribes with acorn dependent diet,to the Vikings who used oak to build their ships to the multple uses of oak in colonial America.Interesting.
Lisa
Enriching, interesting, great combination of natural history, history and science. This book will really change your prespective of the Quercus genus (oaks) I highly recommend it.
Richard
By the author of Dirt — gotta love it.
humankind's close relationship with the oak tree 3 11 Oct 23, 2008 10:29PM
  • Seeds of Change: Six Plants That Transformed Mankind
  • The Emerald Planet: How Plants Changed Earth's History
  • Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
  • Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet
  • The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms
  • Tree: A Life Story
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees
  • The Tree: A Natural History of What Trees Are, How They Live & Why They Matter
  • Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • For Love of Insects
  • The Private Life of Plants: A Natural History of Plant Behaviour
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses
  • When the Mississippi Ran Backwards: Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes
  • The Riddle of the Compass: The Invention that Changed the World
19933
William Bryant Logan is a certified arborist and president of Urban Arborists, Inc., a Brooklyn-based tree company. Logan has won numerous Quill and Trowel Awards from the Garden Writers of America and won a 2012 Senior Scholar Award from the New York State chapter of the International Society of Arborists. He also won an NEH grant to translate Calderon de la Barca. He is on faculty at NYBG and is...more
More about William Bryant Logan...
Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth Air: The Restless Shaper of the World The Tool Book (Smith & Hawken) The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Deep South (Smithsonian Guides to Historic America) The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Pacific States (Smithsonian Guide to Historic America)