Start by marking “Freud: A Life for Our Time” as Want to Read:
Freud: A Life for Our Time

Freud: A Life for Our Time

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Norton celebrates the 150th anniversary of Freud’s birth by reissuing Peter Gay’s best-selling biography, featuring a new introduction.
Published September 17th 1998 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freud

Shane Avery
Brilliant biography of Freud (probably the best since Ernest Jones’s three v. effort). Heavy emphasis on ideas, especially within the nineteenth century context (both bourgeois Vienna & 19th c. scientific -- e.g., Darwin & physiological school). Treats the psychoanalytic movement, in terms of its theory, technique, and, of course, its politics. Freud’s writings can be quite difficult and theory-laden. Gay skilfully navigates through Freud’s vast literary catalogue, providing both the per ...more
Scott
This book is good both as a biography and a presentation of Freud's ideas - in fact, Gay seems much more interested in Freud's thinking than he does in Freud's life. Though with Freud, that might be the only way to go, beyond his developing his theories and dealing with the internal politics of the psychoanalytic movement, Freud's life comes across as sort of humdrum. But the book does do a good job of following Freud's development, and it makes for a very interesting read.

The author is definite
Bárbara Bufrem
Jun 23, 2009 Bárbara Bufrem rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bárbara by: Leonardo Ferrari, psicanalista, meu professor de faculdade
Esse livro me fez repensar a direção que quero dar para a minha vida e a noção de tempo.

Freud se formou tarde na faculdade, clinicava muitas horas por dia, realizava diariamente as pesquisas que o transformaram em um dos maiores gênios da humanidade, escrevia livros, artigos, arrumava tempo para se corresponder por cartas com amigos e psicanalistas de vários lugares do mundo, se reunir com eles e ainda conseguia ser um ótimo pai e ter uma família equilibrada. Além de tudo, Freud trabalhou mesmo
Mustafa
Indeed, Sigmund Freud is a very controversial figure. First hearing his ideas, one would think that he is nothing but a perverted old man with a fetish for sex. I was able to somewhat see the logic in his ideas (Come on, you've gotta admit you've been a pervert in your life at one point or another, whether it was to yourself, or admitted it freely.)

Peter Gay is extraordinary.

He has written a standard one-volume text on the life of this controversial intellectual, written in such a way that it i
Cat
Aug 23, 2007 Cat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to know more about Freud, the man.
Shelves: biography
Disagree with two of the reviewers below: Gay is not unbearly biased in favor of Freud, book is not too much for casual dabblers in the subject.

First, one could hardly expect a six hundred page biography of Freud to be authored by someone who hates the man. Important to be realistic about who writes books in the first place.

Second, Freud was a prolific writer, and the book doesn't shy away from in depth analysis, so really it's like two three hundred page books. Now, if that's too much Freud f
Héctor
IRONÍA

... la salud de Freud hacía frente a la tensión con valentía; se veía sin embargo condenado a la pasividad, que él detestaba. Para pasar el tiempo, mientras aguardaba que los nuevos dueños del poder aprendieran su oficio y pusieran fin a sus tropelías, clasificó y ordenó sus libros, sus antigüedades, sus papeles. Se desembarazó de títulos que no le interesaban, e intentó tirar cartas y documentos, aunque Marie Bonaparte y Anna Freud lograron rescatar algunas para la posteridad, recogiéndo
Leah
Very good, thorough, accurate, historical reading of Freud. Gay's chronological presentation of Freud's major work is hugely useful for any romp through Freud's ouevre (who remembers where 'On Narcissism' comes in relation to the periods of Freud's most productive years? This book does). But Gay, although I've seen various reviews call him 'revisionist', seems fairly orthodox to me in his readings of Freud's life. Nothing too radically different from Jones.
J. Ewbank
This book by Peter Gay shows a lot of research and work to present to us a picture and understanding of Freud that you can hardly find elsewhere.

Freud was a complex person and the psychology that he spawned was complex as well. Though some things that he thought and taught have been changed by future generations and students, there is a remarkabale amount of work that is still good and used today.

Freud was the one who began the process of getting us to look at ourselves and to understand ourselv
Trâm Nguyễn
no comment
Steven Peterson
A pretty solid edited volume of the works of Freud. At the outset? A brief biography of Freud. The selection of Freud's works begins with a section entitled "The Making of a Psychoanalyst." Next "Classical Theory," including essays on dreams, on the case study of "Dora," and so on. Following this, sections on ""Therappy and Technique," "Psychoanalysis in Culture," "Transitions and Revisions," and "The Last Chapter." A decent selection of his works that will provide a nice background on the work ...more
Bob Griffin
Regarding the one who founded a new religion for our time, Psychoanalysis, I learned about his tremendous industry in naming the thoughts, his and others, of his time. Not everything was original with Freud, but he put theory into words. He wrote it down for all who come after him. Freud, whether one agrees or disagrees, is the benchmark -- the reference point for any advances in psychotherapeutic discussion. I wish I had studied Freud much earlier in my career.
Steve
This is my first Freud Biography. I studied with a famous psychoanalyst who said he has a bookshelf of Freud books. Said he had 3 books on Freud's studying of eel gonads. So this perhaps is just a beginning, but it wasn't a bad place to begin despite the fact that it took me forever to read. I learned a lot I didn't know and got a general outline of his life.
Curtis
I actually disciplined myself to read some of this book everyday. I enjoy biographies and have Einstein in my collection as well. I also gave Linda's cousin biography of his for young readers. Now he is convinced that I am smart to read about Einstein. There are people in AA and NA that think I am a scholar too. (The disguise must be working.)
Cameron
Finally finished this book in September. For any who are fans of Freud or would like an in-depth exposure to his life, this is the book. The author does a good of presenting Freud's life and seems willing to put it all out there. Though it took me a long time to read I did enjoy the book though I admit that it is not for the casual reader.
Tim Petersik
Although I'm as far from being Freudian as one can get, I do appreciate the depth and creativity of his thinking. So it's fitting that this biography does justice to the complexity of Freud's ideas. His life is an interesting story, and Gay is one helluva story teller.
Stephanie
Started reading this after I went to work part-time at a psychoanalytic society. However, I'm not sure that this detailed biography was the smartest place to start. Freud lived a complicated life, so this is a good read, but I need to start out with something smaller.
Andrei Gavrila
Very difficult to read. Incredibly long. I wanted a biography but instead I got the Freud encyclopedia. It is my strong opinion that I would have got the same amount of useful information from a book 20-30% percent of the curent size
DoctorM
A fine account of Freud's life and work, together with a keen sensitivity to time and place. And as always, well-written. Peter Gay has produced wonderful work over the past half-century, and his "Freud" stands among his best.
Girl
Finally finished the neverending story. It would have been much more palatable if the author hadn't put Freud and his psychoanalytical formulations on such a high pedestal...
Charles
Although I sort of disagree with the subtitle of a "life for out time," I thought this was a thorough job of handling a bio of Freud without becoming unwieldly. Its an enjoyable read, as well was enlightening.
Emily
Freud's father was 20 years older than his mother and Freud, as a child, thought his mother should be married to his uncle. I've only read ten pages so far but I am hoping to get through the rest soon.
Minna Iikkanen
Ärsyttää sellainen että kaikki analysoidaan ja tulkitaan puhki, eikä lukijalle jätetä tilaa tulkita itse. Paranee loppua kohden huomattavasti.
Steve
Peter Gay definitely taps into information about Freud that makes understanding Freud's theories and concepts much easier.
Tom Coates
Amazing biography of Freud. Really genuinely deep and well-written portrait of an important man's life and work.
Adam DeVille, Ph.D.
A wide-ranging, deeply researched, fascinating biography of one of the most influential people of the 20th century.
April
Oct 08, 2012 April marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The best, most current biography on Freud," -Prof. Mackenzie.
Joe Spencer
A very good biography and a helpful overview of Freud's work.
Rachel
Sep 10, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freudians
Excellent biography. Among the most authoritative.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1989 finalist
Sadi
Sadi marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
  • A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis
  • Yeats: The Man and the Masks
  • Becoming Freud: The Making of a Psychoanalyst
  • Jung: A Biography
The son of a glassware maker, Peter Joachim Fröhlich grew up in Germany as the Nazis rose to power. Escaping in 1938 with the rest of his family on the last boat of refugees admitted to Cuba, he gained entry with them to the United States two years later, whereupon he changed his name to Gay. He graduated from the University of Denver in 1946 and earned a master's and doctorate in history from Col ...more
More about Peter Gay...
Weimar Culture: The Outsider as Insider Modernism: The Lure of Heresy from Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond Mozart: A Life The Enlightenment: The Rise of Modern Paganism My German Question: Growing Up in Nazi Berlin