Start by marking “More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops” as Want to Read:
More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  3,443 Ratings  ·  628 Reviews
Customer (holding up a book): What’s this? The Secret Garden? Well, it’s not so secret now, is it, since they bloody well wrote a book about it!

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops was a Sunday Times bestseller, and could be found displayed on bookshop counters up and down the country. The response to the book from booksellers all over the world has been one of heartfel
Published April 18th 2013 by Constable and Robinson (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

karen
Apr 29, 2013 karen rated it it was amazing

what's this??

photo DSC00270_zps1e7ccd03.jpg

the last souvenir from my bookstore days!

photo DSC00268_zps2aaffbde.jpg

i mean, they cleaned it up a little; i am not one who says "sir," and i don't have the pub dates of books in my head at the ready like that, but still! it's like fame, only smaller!
Petra Eggs
Update 4. An extremely weird customer, perhaps the weirdest ever. He came into the shop and said that he had two books he had never read that his wife had given him and before he put them up for sale on Facebook he wondered if we would give him $10 each for them. I asked when he got them, he said in 2009 or 2010! The titles were The Complete Illustrated Kama Sutra and Tantric Sex: Making Love Last. I asked him why he wanted to bring them back now. He said he and his wife had separated and he was ...more
Jadranka
Feb 17, 2017 Jadranka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017

Ova knjiga je kao pisana za mene :D ... i verovatno za 97,36% korisnika Goodreadsa :D
I have some issues kada su knjižare u pitanju...npr. imam potrebu da knjige pored kojih prolazim lepo složim i mnogo me nervira kada vidim da neko ispretura knjige ili ih ne vrati na svoje mesto.
Dalje, jedva se suzdržim da se ne umešam u priču između knjižara i kupca, kada čujem da knjižar nema pojma o čemu priča, ili kada lupeta neke gluposti. To me mnogo nervira...mislim, čoveče radiš u knjižari, a ne u prodav
Loederkoningin
May 12, 2013 Loederkoningin rated it really liked it
So after the hilarious Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, bookseller Campbell has collected even more weirdness. And although this follow up is not nearly as hilarious as the first book - a few 'jokes' seem a bit far-fetched - there's still more than enough to snort-laugh about.

So here we go, shall we!

Customer: We're having a book burning at our religious group tonight. I need all your books on witchcraft.
Bookseller: .....
Customer: And we're expecting a discount. We're doing the world a fa
María
Jul 09, 2017 María rated it really liked it
LLORANDO con los libros de esta mujer.
Exina
Jan 01, 2015 Exina rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor-funny
Like the first book, Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, it was a quick and entertaining read.

The story in the prologue about a children book getting back to its original owner after forty years is really heartwarming.

Conversations with kids are cute and funny, and the rest also made me laugh many times.
The things customers say in bookshops are not only weird, but insulting, sometimes ridiculously dumb…
CUSTOMER: You know, I go to this book club thing, but I really hate reading.
BOOKSELL
Joana - Ler Com Lobos
Nov 16, 2014 Joana - Ler Com Lobos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reino-unido
Para quando um terceiro livrinho destes? <3
Daniel
Feb 28, 2017 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jos jedna lepa kolekcija bizarnih situacija sa kojima se (ne)srecni prodavci srecu najverovatnije svakodnevno. Meni licno omiljeni delovi su razgovori sa decom (i'l be a bumblebee when i grow up :D ). Zabavno stivo u svakom slucaju, mada ipak ima ogranicenu publiku: ljude koji vole da citaju knjige. Na zalost i nema nas puno :(
Foad
Mar 28, 2015 Foad rated it liked it
کتاب دوم از این نویسنده.
ایده ی کتاب خیلی ساده است، ولی نتیجه، خیلی خنده داره. حرف های عجیبی که خریدارها توی کتاب فروشی میزنن. بعضی از این حرف ها به خاطر گفته شدن توی موقعیت کتابفروشی خیلی خنده دار و مضحکن.

خريدار: يه كتاب خيلی بد می خوام. می خوام هديه بدمش به يكی كه ازش متنفرم.
Tamara
Occupation: Bookseller

What You Think You Do: Sell books

What People Think You Do:

- Book-whisperer
CUSTOMER: Hello! I’m searching for a book. I’m not sure of the publishing house, but it’s really great and I just have to read it again.
BOOKSELLER: Sure. What was the title of the book?
CUSTOMER: Well, the thing is, I don’t really remember …
BOOKSELLER: OK, then how about the author? Maybe we can search for their work and find the one you’re looking for?
CUSTOMER: I don’t know his name.
BOOKSELLER: … R
Marga
Feb 09, 2015 Marga rated it liked it
"CUSTOMER: I’d like to buy this audiobook.

BOOKSELLER: Great.

CUSTOMER: Only, I don’t really like this narrator.

BOOKSELLER: Oh.

CUSTOMER: Do you have a selection of narrator to choose from? Ideally, I’d like Benedict Cumberbatch”

I found some hilarious. Some are not though. Are some of these made up? Haha. People are weird.

This is my favorite. :DD

"CUSTOMER: Can you help me find a book, please?

BOOKSELLER: Sure, what are you in the mood for?

CUSTOMER: (leaning in very closely) I'm feeling very vulnera
Susie
Mar 03, 2015 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
a pure joy, as to be expected. :)
Sandra
Apr 23, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-shit, 2016
Well, some days I do feel like this too.
CUSTOMER: I really don’t like the planet today – can you recommend a book set far, far away?

Now we're talking bestsellers!
CUSTOMER (eagerly): I really liked Fifty Shades of Grey. (Pause) Do you have an illustrated version?

Even Goodreads Karen had a spot in it!
(Phone rings)
CUSTOMER: Hello. I’m looking for a first edition of The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.
BOOKSELLER: I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t stock secondhand or rare books.
CUSTOMER: I don’t w
Sad Sunday
Nov 02, 2016 Sad Sunday rated it it was amazing
To: Orient, Caro M.
From: YouKnowWho
Subject: You were right and have the right to say "I said so"

So, as the Subject says, you were right. When you said I just had to try a different genre, I was quite skeptical. What is better than a awesome sword and sorcery fantasy book on a cold evening of autumn while you are snuggled in your warm bed? (I know, Geralt of Rivia in your bed would be better, but anyway...).
I tried a different genre and I liked it! Really, "More Weird Things Customers Say in Bo
Rebecca
Actual Rating: 3.5/5

Fun read. Some made me laugh, others made me question humans because... really?! It was nice to see a familiar bookstore in the second section (aka my local independent bookstore at Westfield.)

Source: Alison/readaroundtherosie for Christmas 2014 - thank you!
Coreen ♥ (AsThePlotThickens)
"BOY (reading titles of books on the shelf): My Family and Other Animals? Ha. Yes. I think my sister looks like a ferret.
HIS SISTER (shouting from the other side of the shop): I heard that! And you look like a diseased baboon!

I think this book was even better than the first one, though I've been hearing others say otherwise. The sequel to the Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores just got even funnier. The quote at the top was my favorite it had me laughing out loud for seconds, as usual
Tran Thanh Tu
Mar 30, 2017 Tran Thanh Tu rated it really liked it
This one is not as hilarious as the first one, but overall, I enjoy every second of it :D
Sophie
Aug 11, 2013 Sophie rated it liked it
"MOTHER: If you want to buy a book you’ll have to use your own money. I’ve bought you
enough books already!
DAUGHTER: But I’ve read all those books!
MOTHER: Well then, maybe you should learn to read slower!"
this one sums up my life perfectly..
Laima
Jan 04, 2013 Laima rated it really liked it
This second book of strange but true things people say in bookshops is just as hilarious as the first.
The author has included many more submissions from booksellers and librarians from around the world. Our very own Goodreader, Karen Brissette, submitted an entry which also appears in this edition.

This copy is from the U.K, so all of you goodreaders in the U.S. and Canada will have to wait a little while longer before this edition is released in North America. It really is very funny and worth t
Cik Aini
May 21, 2013 Cik Aini rated it really liked it
After non-stop laugh reading Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, I find the second installment still hilarious!

Nice dedication written inside: For bookshop customers, booksellers, librarians, bookworms, book-hoarders, bookworms and librocubicularists (those who like to read in bed). The last one feels like me, though.

I particularly like the dialogue between a young boy and a bookseller on a safeguarding dragon:

Young Boy: You should put a basement in your bookshop.
Bookseller: You think so?
Y
Tfitoby
Apr 29, 2013 Tfitoby rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, non-fiction
Jen Campbell is back with another collection of truly bizarre things that people say in bookshops. And this time I am in it! Page 73 for those of you who care. You may also find my former colleague Chloe in there a couple of times. Just pop in and I'll happily sign it for you. I got mine for free so you should really make sure you buy yours.

It's quite amazing the things that people say without thinking, without knowing what they are saying, without realising just how rude they are or in the case
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
JEN CAMPBELL makes my day on a not-so-good day by writing this unique wonderful experience involving weird customer sayings weird and most of the times funny things in bookshops

The best thing I loved about both of the books in this series is that they aren't a novel. One doesn't need to focus on the plot or characters cause they aren't any. If the first part was excellent, this ain't behind. It's a must read for all the bibliophiles out there.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Kaitlin
Aug 23, 2015 Kaitlin rated it liked it
I read this in one sitting and once again I liked it a lot. It's a continuation of More Weird Things that people say when in a book shop and it has got some which made me chuckle or smile, and others which made me roll my eyes and wonder about the sanity of some people. It's a mixed batch of oddities and peculiar occurrences, and it's a fun read for sure.

I particularly like the idea of playing Hide and Seek and getting 'lost' in a book :) And also employing a Dragon who's passed a test to guard
Melissa
Feb 05, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-i-own
Loved this one a little less than the first book, but it was still funny! Some people are REALLY weird hahaha :D

Here are some of my favs:

Woman (holding a copy of a Weight Watchers book in one hand, and The Hunger Games in the other: Which of these dieting books would you recommend most?

Customer: I'd like to buy this audiobook.
Bookseller: Great.
Customer: Only, I don't really like this narrator.
Bookseller: Oh.
Customer: Do you have a selection of narrators to choose from? Ideally, I'd like Benedic
Mafi
Dec 28, 2016 Mafi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, eng, 2016
Impossível não chorar a rir com este livro! Queria mais! :)
Krina Satra (BooksAndBookmarks)
A quick, light hearted, funny book! Just what anyone needs during 24 hours readathons and after a stressful day. :D
Claudia
Jan 23, 2016 Claudia rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
The title says it all: another collection of words of "wisdom". Funny, light and if you really needed, another proof that the world is full of nuts ;)))

"WOMAN (holding a copy of a Weight Watchers book in one hand, and The Hunger Games in the other): Which of these dieting books would you recommend most?"

"CUSTOMER: I don’t like biographies. The main character pretty much always dies in the end. It’s so predictable!"

"CUSTOMER: You know, I eat every good book I read. BOOKSELLER: ... Excuse me? CUST
PATRICK
Aug 26, 2013 PATRICK rated it really liked it
Me and my friend in the bookstore:

Me: Hi, do you have this Filipino book? *says title*
My friend: DON'T TELL US WHERE IT IS! Just tell if it is available.
Bookseller: Let me check.
Me(to my friend): Cover your eyes! Don't look to where the guy is going!
Bookseller (returns): Yes, we have a few copies left.
Me: First one to find it is the winner! Go! (we ran and looked for it, she won)
Bookseller: ...

P.S. I love doing this.

(Passing through the Romance section with my friend)
Me: God, I hate Filipino R
Gabriela
Apr 29, 2016 Gabriela rated it really liked it
Just like the first part, this was a delight to read. Super funny and super weird. I am, once again, amazed of knowing that people who say this things actually exist. Highly recommended to any bookworm, you'll have a great time!
Lisa
Apr 05, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Obsessed! I especially like the ones with the children saying funny stuff. Fifty Shades appeared just a little too often in my opinion.
  • The Library Book
  • Bizarre Books
  • F in Retakes: Even More Test Paper Blunders
  • My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and Shop
  • Sorted Books
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Books: A Living History
  • The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Worldwide
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Dawn of the Bunny Suicides
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors
  • The Book Lovers' Companion: What to Read Next
  • All That Happened At Number 26
Jen Campbell is an award winning poet and short story writer. Her debut short story collection, 'The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night,' is forthcoming from Two Roads (November 2017) and her first children's book 'Franklin's Flying Bookshop' will be published by Thames & Hudson (September 2017).

Jen is also the author of the Sunday Times bestselling Weird Things Customers Say i
More about Jen Campbell...

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (2 books)
  • Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

“CUSTOMER: I’d like to buy this audiobook.
BOOKSELLER: Great.
CUSTOMER: Only, I don’t really like this narrator.
BOOKSELLER: Oh.
CUSTOMER: Do you have a selection of narrators to choose from? Ideally, I’d like Benedict Cumberbatch”
68 likes
“CHILD: Mummy, who was Hitler? MOTHER: Hitler? CHILD: Yeah. Who was he? MOTHER: Erm, he was a very bad man from a long time ago. CHILD: Oh. How bad? MOTHER: He was like ... he was like Voldemort. CHILD: Oh! That’s really, really bad. Mother: Yes. CHILD: (Pause) So, did Harry Potter kill Hitler, too?” 30 likes