Start by marking “Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)

Dark Space (Dark Space #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,340 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
Brady Garrett needs to go home. He’s a conscripted recruit on Defender Three, one of a network of stations designed to protect the Earth from alien attack. He's also angry, homesick, and afraid. If he doesn’t get home he’ll lose his family, but there’s no way back except in a body bag.

Cameron Rushton needs a heartbeat. Four years ago Cam was taken by the Faceless — the ali
Published December 4th 2012 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Space

julio
Jan 06, 2015 julio rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks sci-fi isn't for them. spoiler: SCI-FI IS TOTALLY FOR YOU
Shelves: loved
It must remain still—and it puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

What do you get when you take...

- a battered 16yo kid
- draft him into the military
- put him on the interstellar equivalent of the Maginot Line
- rough him up over the next three years
- and then lock him in a room for ten days with the most famous prisoner of war in the galaxy, who may or may not be carrying a weapon of biological warfare intended to exterminate all of humanity, but who also says it won't happe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Re-read 10/18/15

Interesting reading this book a second time. I still loved it, still stand by my original rating, but I found myself wishing this book was 2x longer. I also didn't mind the ending like I did the first time. The steam was still steamy but less than it was in my memory. Very deserving of my 5 star rating.

*******Original Review********

My first book by Lisa Henry and boooooooyyy can that girl write!!

Can I start by saying that that guy on the cover is exactly how I pictured Brady. Su
Loederkoningin
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of Brady Garrett. His ten-year mission: to serve on a deep space military station, to protect Earth from new life and new civilizations, to boldly go... Oh fuck that.

Brady hates the vast, endless blackness with a passion. And he doesn't give a shit about protecting Earth. He just wants to care for his little sister.

Alas! Ever since the Faceless, a terrifying race of aliens who have beat the human race in terms of technology and military strength,
Rosa, really

So this book is a little bit like this:

description

And there’s a 19 year old kid, scared and angry with quite a mouth on him.

description

Why am I using the cover? Cause the kid on the cover actually looks like a KID and not a pretty, muscular model that we’ve seen 1457 times. TAKE NOTE PUBLISHERS .

Anyway, our young hero is stuck in a room with a possible traitor waiting for the big bad to arrive:

description

But while they’re waiting they’re both dealing with boners so they’re all like this:

And then boners turn into feelings – Yo
Susan
Oct 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it

REREAD (October 11, 2015)

I decided to read this again in preparation for my reading of book 2, Darker Space. I recall really enjoying this book, but being thrown off by the quick ending. Other than that, I didn't have a lot recollection of the details of the story.

I'm SO GLAD I reread it!

First, the parts I loved about it the first time...Brady, the Faceless storyline, Brady's/Cam's connection...I think I loved even more this time through. I was captivated by every page.

Secondly, the rushed end
Nick Pageant
Sep 11, 2016 Nick Pageant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, m-m
Thanks to Marte and DoodlePanda for the BR!

Wow! I am still awake at 2:25am because I could not put this book down.

There are tons of reviews from our little corner of GR and I'm sleepy, so I'm not going to bother other than to say that Lisa Henry has written one hell of a book. Forget sci-fi, forget m/m, this is just a really great book. It's fun, sexy, suspenseful, sad, and all around AMAZING. Recommended to everybody! Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Jenni Lea
Oct 06, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Jo
I am a complete and utter mess after reading this book. I don’t even think I can articulate how I feel. My thoughts and emotions are all over the place.

I’m not even sure I could tell you what this book was about. Was it GFY? Yes, but not in any way that I have ever read. It’s almost as though the feelings of being gay were forced upon Brady but then you get the feeling that they were already there, just buried so deep that Brady wasn‘t even aware of them. Maybe. Sorta. I don’t fucking know.

And
MishyJo
Jan 05, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it
Recommended to MishyJo by: Xing, Cory, Jenni Lea, Catherine
4.5 stars glowing in the black void of of space

I don't read sci fi. Apparently, however, I do give in to peer pressure, because after some gentle prodding, there I was doing a BR with Catherine of a book most everyone loved but I had no real interest in reading. Damn it, though, I am glad I did.

I couldn't believe the level of suspense in this book. I was on edge from almost the start waiting for the imminent alien attack. Lisa Henry's ability to sustain that level of anxiety in Brady, and corres
Ingela
Written November 9, 2013

5 Stars - stunning in a very tranquil dreamy and beautiful way

I'm actually quite devout and overwhelmed after reading this amazing romance. Dark Space was not at all what I thought and expected. Instead I got something so much better.

So, so good... romantic, poetic, nicely written and with a story that is both surprising, amusing, affectionate and also quite scary at times. Full marks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dark Space takes place in a rather dark future, a half c
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
4.5 UNIVERSE-SHATTERING STARS

I never would have read this book had I not seen the multiple glowing reviews come across my feed. I don't usually read sci-fi. I don't do aliens. And it's not because I'm arrogant enough to think we're the only intelligent beings in the universe, but because I generally prefer not to speculate about the vastness of space and time.

But thank the gods for peer pressure. Because this book was BLOODY. BRILLIANT.

Everything in this novel felt real and right: the war with
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
4.5 OuT Of ThiS WoRLD sTaRs

I'm gonna say it, because it was what I was thinking...and this book is all about sharing thoughts...so here it is

If I was a Guy there's a song in there somewhere... I swear I would have been pulling my OL'TODGER ...and this would be me....after the dirty deed... that was so fucking GOOD, so GOOD.

Who knew Space could be so frickin sexy.

This was my first encounter with alien's, and I never thought I would be sucked into dark space....but Lisa Henry proved me wrong.
Marte
Re-read October 2015.
I love this book so much! I'm keeping my review and rating from a year ago. :)

Review August 14, 2014:

Story.
Characters.
Writing.
Feels.

Buddy Read with Nick and Doodlepanda!
Lena♥Ribka
Feb 02, 2015 Lena♥Ribka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopian

4,5 stars.

What for a great start into the year 2014!

With the Dark Space I hit a jackpot and I hope that it's a good sign for all my future books for this year!

Normally I'm a bit greedy with my star's rating, but here I didn't hesitate even a minute.

BECAUSE....

I swear by God, I won't start my future reviews for a science fiction book with the sentence "Though I am not a big fan of a science fiction genre...".
At least after reading this book I know it's not true.
I AM. Period.

My first book
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
DNF at around 75%

I probably could have finished this one but I just couldn't be bothered. I was pretty bored.

Brady wasn't too likable either.

This was my first sci-fi type read and it was really interesting at first. I kind of dug the whole connection between Brady and Cam, and how Brady was essentially keeping Cam alive. It was kind of sweet and hot.

But then nothing really happened. And Brady just seemed to be on the same continuous loop inside his head. "We're all going to die." "We only have
Natasha
Fuck the universe.
Fuck eternity and creation and a million colors boiling together in the black. What the hell use was that to me?
My heart broke either way.

The Writing:
I thought the writing in this book was absolutely gorgeous and it painted the most vivid picture in my mind, that I literally felt like I dropped some acid and started reading. If I was even half as beautiful looking as Lisa Henry's writing, I'd be a supermodel, it's that good. When something creepy or scary is happening in the
Kaje Harper
Dec 04, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, scifi
This book is a twist on GFY - what if a straight guy was bound telepathically to a gay man? What if he was literally the gay man's heartbeat, forced to have skin contact or let that man die. What if they shared dreams? Where would their relationship go? And what if they knew that sometime in the near future they would either die or be unbound and back in their solitary minds?

The answers are of vital importance to Brady, nineteen, straight, and accidentally bound to a man who may be bringing the
Otila
Jul 29, 2014 Otila rated it really liked it
”You’re like starlight. I could lose myself in you.”

Brady hates space. Unfortunately, he’s been conscripted into the military and is stuck on a space station for 10 years and still has 7 left to go. He lives in fear of the Faceless-the alien race that nearly destroyed Earth- and misses his father and little sister back home. His life wasn't much better back there, growing up dirt poor with a crappy childhood, but he needs to get back to take care of his sister.

Lt. Cameron Rushton was a pilot
Aug 16, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

4.5 Stars

Dark Space by Lisa Henry had me at LISA HENRY. But throw in green eyes, starlight, aliens, and jolt-to-the-heart chemistry and I am a very happy woman.

Our story is told by and revolves around Brady Garrett. A young recruit in medic training in space during a dark time in Earth's history due to The Faceless. The Faceless! Is that not the best alien name ever? The Faceless attacked Earth decades before changing the world as we know it. Now constant fear forces us to recruit kids at 16 to
Mandapanda
Dec 08, 2012 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I love Scifi and Scifi Romance so this book is a perfect fit for me. The story is told in the first person POV of Garrett, an underprivileged, uneducated young man conscripted at the age of 16 to work on the deep space station, Defender Three. He hates space, the blackness of it, the claustrophobia, and the vulnerability; "[He] suddenly felt how very, very far away from home we all were, spinning alone in the big black like a silver lure on a line". He is sick with worry about his dyi ...more
Em
Em's book of the year award goes to Dark Space!

I've read a few sci-fi books before, but this one was so different, it was atmospheric and the world-building painted a very vivid picture. It was simply perfect.

Cam was captured by The Faceless, an alien race, four years ago and everyone is suspicious when he is suddenly returned with a message. Something goes wrong when they try to remove his body from the stasis pod he is returned in. Brady manages to re-start Cam's heart and from this moment o
Catherine
*** 4.5 Perfectly Synchronized Heartbeats ***

I don't want to go into too much detail in my review (because I think half the allure of this book is discovering this world and these characters for yourself), but I just have to say that this book was frickin' AWESOME!

I thought the whole sci-fi/world-building aspects of this story were extremely well done. Then again, as a newbie to the genre, I can count the number of sci-fi books I’ve read in my lifetime on one hand – my right hand, if I’m being
Gigi
Jul 30, 2013 Gigi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gigi by: Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
For whatever reason, I'm still not a big fan of M/M romance sci-fi. But this one really did it for me and didn't muck my brain up too badly with freakishly spelled "alien" words to throw me out of the story. The MCs were hot, even if MC Garrett was a bit on the young side, and angst was very genuine and actually teetered on too much, hence the 4 stars instead of 5, and the sex was mindbogglingly hot. I enjoyed the story line and the HEA was very satisfying.

Fans of M/M romance, angst and sci-fi,
Shelley
Aug 26, 2013 Shelley rated it liked it
Recommended to Shelley by: julio
3 Stars, but only just.

Really? You all loved this? You know what this means for me now? It means I am doomed! If the name wasn't already claimed I would proclaim myself the Mistress of Mediocrity, because really, that is all I seem to attract just lately.

Yes, the first 25% was good and so was the last 25%. But what lies in the middle is just a repetitive yawn fest. If I wasn't interested in the telepathy between the two MC's I would have ditched this, I'm sure of it.

So, I could claim that it's
Lyn Gala
Oct 06, 2014 Lyn Gala rated it it was amazing
I love science fiction…

But there are a lot of science fiction tropes that I am not a fan of.

I am so tired of cat aliens. CJ Cherryh already did it, and I liked hers better than yours (that's a generic "you", not Lisa Henry), so you probably don’t want me to write a review of yours.

I am equally tired of aliens who think like humans, human heroes who single handedly save the universe, and world building that I look at and honestly don’t see how humanity reached that place.

Yep, I’m picky. And that
Tara♥

Well holy crap.

I loved it. Just loved it.

This was just a wonderful book. Everything was so clear in my mind that I might as well have been watching a movie. You know what my biggest problem is? And it’s a big one. It’s that I finished reading it.

Honestly there is nothing that I can fault about this book.

Brady and Cam are just wonderful characters. I loved how and why their relationship developed, that connection was just fantastic and I can’t wait to see what happens next. I adored Brady, he
LenaLena
Jan 31, 2013 LenaLena rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, mm
All I want to know is: where did my effing Story go?!?

It starts with a story. Good story. Nice. Good writing.
Then we get the 'magically bonded' trope. Fine. There is some excellent Drarry and Sterek out there that use that trope. No problems with that trope. But then Story gets abandoned just so we can spend a whole lot of time in a room watching the magic bonding. It goes a little like this:

Brady: I am afraid of the black and I miss my family and in a few days we're all gonna die when Kai-Re
Sheziss
description

Brady Garrett is homesick.

description

He’s been in service for three long years and he only dreams to come back home.

description

He has a dirty mouth, something that has got him into problems more than once. He has a bad attitude.

He feels lonely.

description

Cameron Rushton is a pilot who was kidnapped and given up for dead for four years.

But now he’s back.

description

He could be a traitor. He could be the key for the peace. And he needs Brady for his heart to keep beating.

description

They can’t be more different. Cam loves the dark. Brady fears the
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog

~ ~ ~

Note: This book contains reference to past rape, violence

5 of 5 Tingling Stars

”You’re my heartbeat, Brady.”

I love sci-fi. I love romance. I love that Lisa Henry gave me a perfect combination of both in this book.

The setting is near-future, post-apocalyptic earth orbit. I found this a really great setting for m/m romance. The rules haven’t changed much from what we know now, in fact it just makes it all that much more intense.

CONNECTION:
Oct 19, 2015 MLE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-archive, mm
Edit 10/18

Re-read for Darker Space. Just as good as I remember

A perfectly creepy, and atmospheric sci-fi tale. The characters we well drawn, and I especially liked Brady. His attitude, personality were done well, and the connection with Cameron is intense, but by no means equals instant understanding, or trust. The alien race is terrifying in its strength, and mind set. Really well done. I'm so glad I gave this a chance.
Alona
Happily refreshing my memory.
Re-reading before starting book #2

First read in January 2014.

5++++ stars!

My first ever Sci Fi book and it totally blew me away!
This is the second book by this author that I read and it is going straight to where the first one is now: "My All Time Fav" shelf!
Thank you Lena for recommending this book and thank you Limor for a great buddy read!
Buddy Read August 11th! 17 21 Aug 13, 2014 07:33AM
<b>Buddy Read August 11th! </b> 1 6 Aug 11, 2014 06:21AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Dark Space - Lisa Henry 1 20 Feb 23, 2014 03:36PM
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Bone Rider
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Dark Edge of Honor
  • Freedom
  • The Sentinel
  • Seven (The Others Project #1)
  • Blind Space
  • After Midnight
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies #1)
  • Storms and Stars
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.
More about Lisa Henry...

Dark Space (2 books)
  • Darker Space (Dark Space, #2)

“You're my heartbeat, Brady.” 25 likes
“But suddenly I was dreaming of cock. Fisting it, sucking it, riding it, in glorious fucking Technicolor.” 15 likes