Start by marking “Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)

Dark Space (Dark Space #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,449 ratings  ·  331 reviews
Brady Garrett needs to go home. He’s a conscripted recruit on Defender Three, one of a network of stations designed to protect the Earth from alien attack. He's also angry, homesick, and afraid. If he doesn’t get home he’ll lose his family, but there’s no way back except in a body bag.

Cameron Rushton needs a heartbeat. Four years ago Cam was taken by the Faceless — the ali
Published December 4th 2012 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Space

julio
Jan 06, 2015 julio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks sci-fi isn't for them. spoiler: SCI-FI IS TOTALLY FOR YOU
Shelves: loved
It must remain still—and it puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

What do you get when you take...

- a battered 16yo kid
- draft him into the military
- put him on the interstellar equivalent of the Maginot Line
- rough him up over the next three years
- and then lock him in a room for ten days with the most famous prisoner of war in the galaxy, who may or may not be carrying a weapon of biological warfare intended to exterminate all of humanity, but who also says it won't happe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
My first book by Lisa Henry and boooooooyyy can that girl write!!

Can I start by saying that that guy on the cover is exactly how I pictured Brady. Such a delicious mix of innocent and hot! Okay, now onto my actual review...

"Dark Space" has me written all over it. I love a good sci-fi book, emphasis on good. When sci-fi makes sense it takes me into my head like no other genre. So when you combine a fantastic sci-fi concept with smoking hot MM lovin', DAMN do you get a winner! And this book is wi
Loederkoningin
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of Brady Garrett. His ten-year mission: to serve on a deep space military station, to protect Earth from new life and new civilizations, to boldly go... Oh fuck that.

Brady hates the vast, endless blackness with a passion. And he doesn't give a shit about protecting Earth. He just wants to care for his little sister.

Alas! Ever since the Faceless, a terrifying race of aliens who have beat the human race in terms of technology and military strength,
Rosa, really

So this book is a little bit like this:

description

And there’s a 19 year old kid, scared and angry with quite a mouth on him.

description

Why am I using the cover? Cause the kid on the cover actually looks like a KID and not a pretty, muscular model that we’ve seen 1457 times. TAKE NOTE PUBLISHERS .

Anyway, our young hero is stuck in a room with a possible traitor waiting for the big bad to arrive:

description

But while they’re waiting they’re both dealing with boners so they’re all like this:

And then boners turn into feelings – You
Nick Pageant
Thanks to Marte and DoodlePanda for the BR!

Wow! I am still awake at 2:25am because I could not put this book down.

There are tons of reviews from our little corner of GR and I'm sleepy, so I'm not going to bother other than to say that Lisa Henry has written one hell of a book. Forget sci-fi, forget m/m, this is just a really great book. It's fun, sexy, suspenseful, sad, and all around AMAZING. Recommended to everybody! Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Susan

3.5 stars…Solid 4+ stars for most the book, but unless there’s a part 2, the rushed ending has me sticking to 3.5…

This book could have been AWESOME! Could have been… It had a GREAT story, a character who, despite his youth, fear, and flaws I loved (loved so much that I hadn’t even NOTICED the book was written in first person POV until about 70% in…I just enjoyed his perspective so much), and was cadenced, for the first 90’ish% in a pace that I was quite enjoying.

And then shit hit the fan.

And w
MiʂħүJѻ
Jan 05, 2014 MiʂħүJѻ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to MiʂħүJѻ by: Xing, Cory, Jenni Lea, Catherine
4.5 stars glowing in the black void of of space

I don't read sci fi. Apparently, however, I do give in to peer pressure, because after some gentle prodding, there I was doing a BR with Catherine of a book most everyone loved but I had no real interest in reading. Damn it, though, I am glad I did.

I couldn't believe the level of suspense in this book. I was on edge from almost the start waiting for the imminent alien attack. Lisa Henry's ability to sustain that level of anxiety in Brady, and corres
Ingela
5 Stars - stunning in a very tranquil dreamy and beautiful way

I'm actually quite devout and overwhelmed after reading this amazing romance. Dark Space was not at all what I thought and expected. Instead I got something so much better.

So, so good... romantic, poetic, nicely written and with a story that is both surprising, amusing, affectionate and also quite scary at times. Full marks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dark Space takes place in a rather dark future, a half century after the Earth w
Jenni Lea
Oct 06, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Jo
I am a complete and utter mess after reading this book. I don’t even think I can articulate how I feel. My thoughts and emotions are all over the place.

I’m not even sure I could tell you what this book was about. Was it GFY? Yes, but not in any way that I have ever read. It’s almost as though the feelings of being gay were forced upon Brady but then you get the feeling that they were already there, just buried so deep that Brady wasn‘t even aware of them. Maybe. Sorta. I don’t fucking know.

And
Lena♥Ribka

4,5 stars.

What for a great start into the year 2014!

With the Dark Space I hit a jackpot and I hope that it's a good sign for all my future books for this year!

Normally I'm a bit greedy with my star's rating, but here I didn't hesitate even a minute.

BECAUSE....

♥ I swear by God, I won't start my future reviews for a science fiction book with the sentence "Though I am not a big fan of a science fiction genre...".
At least after reading this book I know it's not true.
I AM. Period.

Story.
Characters.
Writing.
Feels.

Buddy Read with Nick and Doodlepanda!
Natasha
Fuck the universe.
Fuck eternity and creation and a million colors boiling together in the black. What the hell use was that to me?
My heart broke either way.

The Writing:
I thought the writing in this book was absolutely gorgeous and it painted the most vivid picture in my mind, that I literally felt like I dropped some acid and started reading. If I was even half as beautiful looking as Lisa Henry's writing, I'd be a supermodel, it's that good. When something creepy or scary is happening in the b
Kaje Harper
This book is a twist on GFY - what if a straight guy was bound telepathically to a gay man? What if he was literally the gay man's heartbeat, forced to have skin contact or let that man die. What if they shared dreams? Where would their relationship go? And what if they knew that sometime in the near future they would either die or be unbound and back in their solitary minds?

The answers are of vital importance to Brady, nineteen, straight, and accidentally bound to a man who may be bringing the
MandyM
4.5 stars. I love Scifi and Scifi Romance so this book is a perfect fit for me. The story is told in the first person POV of Garrett, an underprivileged, uneducated young man conscripted at the age of 16 to work on the deep space station, Defender Three. He hates space, the blackness of it, the claustrophobia, and the vulnerability; "[He] suddenly felt how very, very far away from home we all were, spinning alone in the big black like a silver lure on a line". He is sick with worry about his dyi ...more

4.5 Stars

Dark Space by Lisa Henry had me at LISA HENRY. But throw in green eyes, starlight, aliens, and jolt-to-the-heart chemistry and I am a very happy woman.

Our story is told by and revolves around Brady Garrett. A young recruit in medic training in space during a dark time in Earth's history due to The Faceless. The Faceless! Is that not the best alien name ever? The Faceless attacked Earth decades before changing the world as we know it. Now constant fear forces us to recruit kids at 16 to
Shelley
Aug 26, 2013 Shelley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shelley by: julio
3 Stars, but only just.

Really? You all loved this? You know what this means for me now? It means I am doomed! If the name wasn't already claimed I would proclaim myself the Mistress of Mediocrity, because really, that is all I seem to attract just lately.

Yes, the first 25% was good and so was the last 25%. But what lies in the middle is just a repetitive yawn fest. If I wasn't interested in the telepathy between the two MC's I would have ditched this, I'm sure of it.

So, I could claim that it's
Em
Em's book of the year award goes to Dark Space!

I've read a few sci-fi books before, but this one was so different, it was atmospheric and the world-building painted a very vivid picture. It was simply perfect.

Cam was captured by The Faceless, an alien race, four years ago and everyone is suspicious when he is suddenly returned with a message. Something goes wrong when they try to remove his body from the stasis pod he is returned in. Brady manages to re-start Cam's heart and from this moment o
LenaLena
All I want to know is: where did my effing Story go?!?

It starts with a story. Good story. Nice. Good writing.
Then we get the 'magically bonded' trope. Fine. There is some excellent Drarry and Sterek out there that use that trope. No problems with that trope. But then Story gets abandoned just so we can spend a whole lot of time in a room watching the magic bonding. It goes a little like this:

Brady: I am afraid of the black and I miss my family and in a few days we're all gonna die when Kai-Re
Otila
”You’re like starlight. I could lose myself in you.”

Brady hates space. Unfortunately, he’s been conscripted into the military and is stuck on a space station for 10 years and still has 7 left to go. He lives in fear of the Faceless-the alien race that nearly destroyed Earth- and misses his father and little sister back home. His life wasn't much better back there, growing up dirt poor with a crappy childhood, but he needs to get back to take care of his sister.

Lt. Cameron Rushton was a pilot w
Sofia

may be spoilerish

I loved the premise of this story and the characters, especially Brady. Brady was just a scared, lonely 19 year old recruit, keeping it together only by guts and anger. But he was also more; he was a ’parent’ separated from his child and this defined him. His need to get back to take care of his sister Lucy is paramount to him. For this he gave up a career, and more, even Cam his love. Lucy might be an inconvenience to the ‘romance’ but she is no inconvenience to Brady, he loves
Sheziss
description

Brady Garrett is homesick.

description

He’s been in service for three long years and he only dreams to come back home.

description

He has a dirty mouth, something that has got him into problems more than once. He has a bad attitude.

He feels lonely.

description

Cameron Rushton is a pilot who was kidnapped and given up for dead for four years.

But now he’s back.

description

He could be a traitor. He could be the key for the peace. And he needs Brady for his heart to keep beating.

description

They can’t be more different. Cam loves the dark. Brady fears the
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131

~ ~ ~

Note: This book contains reference to past rape, violence

5 of 5 Tingling Stars

”You’re my heartbeat, Brady.”

I love sci-fi. I love romance. I love that Lisa Henry gave me a perfect combination of both in this book.

The setting is near-future, post-apocalyptic earth orbit. I found this a really great setting for m/m romance. The rules haven’t changed much from what we know now, in fact it just makes it all that much more intense.

CONNECTION:
- Attachment
- Communication
- Relationship
- Joini
Cory
Dec 28, 2013 Cory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cory by: Jenni Lea and Heather K
5 battery charged stars!!!

OK, so the thing I really love about Lisa Henry novels is that she has an incredible way of bringing two people together that really NEED each other. I was a little up and down while I was reading because I just had a feeling that my heart was going to be hurting at the end. Is it? I will never tell and you will just have to read for yourself. But, believe me, you should WANT to read this!!

Cam and Brady...what to write? Cam needed Brady. He needed his touch, his heartbe
Alona
5+ stars!
My first ever Sci Fi book and it totally blew me away!
This is the second book by this author that I read and it is going straight to where the first one is now: "My All Time Fav" shelf!
Thank you Lena for recommending this book and thank you Limor for a great buddy read!
Bev

Buddy read with my lovely Tina, thank you sweetie!! 4 stars from me and a big

Shortie review for this one...several people have done very good reviews...Genao (um, wonder who that is??, and Dreamer's..short but sweet, so the need for a load of waffle from me is redundant.

I loved the story of Brady and Cam, and the premise that they could communicate with each other telepathically because Brady had saved Cam's life by re-starting his heart, and therefore became his 'heartbeat'. Why that was requ
Giulio

Very enjoyable read. Nice setting, vintage sci-fi atmosphere à la Battlestar Galactica (it's set on a space ship with no email and where you can buy coffee and chocolate at a vending machine, with coins!!), awesome characters and a beautiful sexy love story.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to award this book with my special prize:

description

the Oscar for the best bye-bye-butt-virginity* scene goes to .. Dark Space!!

*All rights reserved to Heather

Thanks to my BR group. If I had a transporter, I'd materialize
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
4.5 UNIVERSE-SHATTERING STARS

I never would have read this book had I not seen the multiple glowing reviews come across my feed. I don't usually read sci-fi. I don't do aliens. And it's not because I'm arrogant enough to think we're the only intelligent beings in the universe, but because I generally prefer not to speculate about the vastness of space and time.

But thank the gods for peer pressure. Because this book was BLOODY. BRILLIANT.

Everything in this novel felt real and right: the war with
Isabel
This is my first science fiction with aliens book! I must say that I loved it!

The story is amazing and so are the characters! The author's creativity is fantastic and the plot that she created is so captivating, that I couldn't put down the book!

Brady is fabulous! His inner thoughts were sometimes so funny. This is one of my favorite:

"We’d shared our first shower that morning. It shouldn’t have felt so strange. I’d showered with guys before, with heaps of guys, but with just the two of us it h
Gigi
For whatever reason, I'm still not a big fan of M/M romance sci-fi. But this one really did it for me and didn't muck my brain up too badly with freakishly spelled "alien" words to throw me out of the story. The MCs were hot, even if MC Garrett was a bit on the young side, and angst was very genuine and actually teetered on too much, hence the 4 stars instead of 5, and the sex was mindbogglingly hot. I enjoyed the story line and the HEA was very satisfying.

Fans of M/M romance, angst and sci-fi,
Breann

I loved the sci-fi parts of this book. Loved it! The Faceless were these creepy-ass aliens and, honestly, I would have loved to see more of them in the story. Maybe all the time. Having sex. I don’t know. Something. Hell, they could have been washing dishes the entire time and it would have been better than Cam and Brady.

Because the sci-fi rocked my socks, I loved the beginning. I was ready to settle into an action packed, futuristic love story. Cam, the only person ever to return from
Buddy Read August 11th! 17 16 Aug 13, 2014 07:33AM
<b>Buddy Read August 11th! </b> 1 5 Aug 11, 2014 06:21AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Dark Space - Lisa Henry 1 15 Feb 23, 2014 03:36PM
  • Bone Rider
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • Line and Orbit
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Strain
  • Dark Edge of Honor
  • Seven (The Others Project, #1)
  • Freedom
  • Blind Space
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • Break and Enter
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.
More about Lisa Henry...

Dark Space (2 books)
  • Untitled (Dark Space, #2)
The Island The Good Boy (Boy, #1) Mark Cooper versus America (Prescott College, #1) When All the World Sleeps Tribute

“You're my heartbeat, Brady.” 20 likes
“But suddenly I was dreaming of cock. Fisting it, sucking it, riding it, in glorious fucking Technicolor.” 12 likes