Daughter of the Misty Gorges

Daughter of the Misty Gorges

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Why was Conrad so hostile toward her?
Once Christabel had thought he was the man with whom she'd spend her life--he had been far from indifferent to her on that brief holiday in England. Yet he had made their parting final.

But it seemed their destinies were entwined. She had traveled around the world to comfort the children her flighty selfish sister had left behind, only t...more
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #2525, 190 pages
Published January 1983 by Harlequin Books (first published 1981)

LLCSpokane
I want to like oldies by Essie Summers. The synopsis sounds good but I just don't like her writing style. I feel like I'm taking a class and am listening to a lecture on history, geology, flora/fauna or poetry. It's interesting info but not what I'm looking for in a romance.
Tishke
This is one of those stories of being judged for the sins of your sibling or in this case your half sibling. I could not help remember this wonderful quote by Einstein while reading this book, " Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." The book is a wonderful read.
Jessica Snell
When I first saw the Lord of the Rings movies, and saw all those gorgeous, panoramic shots of the New Zealand landscape, my first thought was, "So this is what Essie Summers was talking about."

Essie Summers wrote for Harlequin Romance from the 1950's all the way through the 1990's (a career to envy!), and even if some of her romances (like this one) started in England, all of her heroines made it to New Zealand by the end. And Summers' descriptions of her native land made me fall in love with it...more
Fiona Marsden
WRitten nearly twenty years after the linked book, South to Forget, this is a sweet and emotional read. Christabel goes out to New Zealand to fix up the mess her half-sister, Lisa, has made of her second marriage. She has recently had her own disappointment in love, a holiday romance with a charming New Zealander who turns out to be a well known writer of thrillers.

When she arrives in New Zealand, the first person she meets is Lisa's brother-in-law Conrad Josefsen, the man who broke her heart wh...more
Frances Madden
Frances Madden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
May 01, 2014
Nyss
Nyss added it
Dec 19, 2013
Leona
Leona marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Mini
Mini is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2013
Lamia
Lamia marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Kay
Kay added it
Aug 14, 2013
Marianna
Marianna marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Emtems
Emtems marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Essie Summers (born Ethel Snelson Summers on July 24, 1912 in Christchurch, New Zealand - d. August 27, 1998) was a New Zealand author who wrote so vividly of the people and landscape of her native country that she was offered The Order Of the British Empire for her contributions to New Zealand tourism.

Ethel Snelson Summers was born on on July 24, 1912 to a newly-emigrated couple, Ethel Snelson an...more
More about Essie Summers...
Beyond the Foothills (Harlequin Romance #2021) The House on Gregor's Brae Goblin Hill (Harlequin Romance, No. 2068) One More River to Cross South Island Stowaway